Consumption Be Done About These New Star Wars Movies ?!?!

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Consumption Be Done About These New Star Wars Movies ?!?!

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:14 pm Yeah these people are a thing. It's weird but there's fucking millions of them. The recipe is like this, they're obsessed with

1. Identity politics
2. Being traumatized and having mental problems
3. Young adult/children's genre fiction media

They are usually really fixated on a shipper relationship and dedicate a lot of energy/life to their chosen pairings.

A lot of people I know in the fiction game are becoming increasingly scared of them. They're really vocal and unpredictable. There's a few authors who have gone through absolute hell after pissing off some mob of these weirdoes.

I imagine every single one of them as Kathy Bates from Misery.
I posted on the Bioware forums for a while when Mass Effect 2 was big, and I'd say a charitable estimate would be that it was about 60% this shit. People were seriously divided into camps by which one of the characters they had boned in game ("Talimancers" for example), there were complaint threads from people who either demanded certain characters be made bone-able or who had counted the minutes particular romance sidequests had devoted to them and then complained that their particular object of desire's romance quest being half as long as that of one of the more popular characters was clear and solid proof that Bioware had sold out and EA ruins everything. This was the first time I encountered this sort of thing, so needless to say, I was horrified.

The really uncomfortable part is how much of this shit ended up affecting Mass Effect 3, though, because if you'd been reading the forums, you could tell pretty much exactly where they were doing things that these creeps had suggested.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Saw it today. It's fine. Like all Star Wars. Fine. No more, no less.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I saw IX again with family/friends - I liked it more the second time through. I think I'm just sad this new trilogy wasn't any better. sooooo much money. at least we'll get a new spaceballs?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Just sux that the new actors were wasted, i loved the chemistry and performances in TFA. Thinking about poe and finn meeting and escaping still excites me a bit, and i cant think of any moment like that elsewhere in the series.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Sightly edited cross post from Facebook.

First two paragraphs are non-spoiler, the rest is spoilers. Sorry, but the spoiler tag doesn't work anymore.

I guess it helps that I've never been a huge Star Wars fan. I've always liked the art direction, but the stories are kind of... better in theory than in practice. They're totally fun and entertaining and whee, spaceships, pewpew, lightsabers, but the philosophical depth that some of the fanbase has come to read into them over the years is pretty silly. A New Hope is a movie about a peasant boy who has to save a princess from an evil space wizard. And that's cool, but let's stop pretending otherwise.

Anyway, I thought The Rise of Skywalker was just that. A fun and entertaining movie with whee, spaceships, pewpew, lightsabers. Unlike The Last Jedi, it also manages to build some reasonable tension and not have its entire plot built on a nonsensical contrivance (by the way, that was the real problem with TLJ, not that a lady with blue hair yells at a cool space pilot because argh grah femisnirserms.) The contrivances are there, sure, but they're easier to ignore. The amusement park ride chase scenes and space battles are well executed and have some punch to them, the stormtroopers still can't hit the broad side of a barn, and when the movie plays the nostalgia card (which is very, very often), it usually works fine.

SPOILERS HERE

What bugs me is that I feel like I can tell where the script's been rewritten, at least as far as two major plot points go. The first is Rey accidentally killing Chewbacca. That would have been a great way to throw her into a hole of self-doubt that she then has to crawl back out of, but, uh, no, the Wookiee is on another spaceship. It's pretty obvious he was supposed to die at one point in the script's development because other than having to be rescued, he does fuck all for the rest of the movie except be there because we like big furry things.

The second is the ending, obviously. It's crystal clear that at one point the idea here was that Kylo/Ben and Rey have to band together to defeat Palpatine somehow, finally doing away with the Jedi/Sith conflict for good and, you know, "bringing balance to the Force", maybe with Ben, a descendant of Anakin Skywalker, having to sacrifice himself to pull it off. Instead he, uh, gets knocked off a cliff, Rey does it herself because space magic, and then Ben at least comes back to sacrifice himself to save her life.

The way Rey beats Palpatine is just a giant missed opportunity. They could have done something thematically interesting and just as dramatic here that would have been almost on par with Darth Vader's "fuck you, I'm not gonna watch you roast my kid" moment at the end of RotJ, but instead it's a meaningless deus ex machina moment. Maybe the crossing of Luke and Leia's lightsabers is meant to symbolize something, but it just falls flat.

So that's a real shame. Chewbacca not dying is fine, but they really kinda screwed up the ending, and it seems like it would've been easy. Other than that, though, it's fucking Star Wars, get over it. These movies will never be as good as some of their fans pretend the original trilogy was, because no movie this good exists or ever has existed.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

general agree?

I realized something about how star wars lives inside my brain. most movies, it's not really what happens, but how it happens that makes the movie good or bad. but that's not true for me & SW. I saw it at a young enough age that the whole mythology feels especially real to me, so each of these movies plonks down big chunks of story that I can't not care about, and it gets interpreted in a very different way than a typical movie. I think this is why I was never revolted by the prequels, despite them being garbage movies: the overall story they told was pretty solid in outline. for these new ones, a lot of people scream they didn't have a plan regarding the overall arc, but the original trilogy didn't have any of its big story beats figured out before each movie was being written! however, the OT did have lucas as the lead storyteller. this new trilogy clearly has nobody at the wheel, and that's a first for a SW series. so I think I had an especially negative reaction to IX because that's when it hit me that these three movies added up to a big nothing - even fighting against each other to diminish the overall meaning. IX is no worse than VII or VIII in terms of advancing a decent story IMO, but it bore the brunt in terms of my reaction. total sinking feeling. hopefully they get spielberg to oversee 10-12 :lol:

this has better takes than the latest RLM vid, imo:

Random person: how are you
Rey: joe
Random person: who’s joe
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

jenny rules
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:43 am general agree?

I realized something about how star wars lives inside my brain. most movies, it's not really what happens, but how it happens that makes the movie good or bad. but that's not true for me & SW.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean by better in theory. If you do a two-minute summary of the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, it sounds like a great story, and then, uh, "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!" and Jar-Jar Binks and Ewoks and the geriatric lightsaber fight in A New Hope and oh boy.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

The og trilogy fucking rules, I don't give a fuck what you revisionist vultures have to say... I'm really not even a big Star Wars guy at all, but as an adult I adore those simply as 70s genre stuff. The props, music, design, sound and characters are fucking wonderful...

the story is FINE, everyone has just returned to it too many times, and now it seems insignificant through overexposure,

I don't comprehend the black-heartedness I'd need to surrender to to HATE EWOKS... fuck off

if I have to blink through another "IT WAS SAVED IN EDITING" conversation with one of you cracked.com mutants,,,,,,,,,,,
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:48 pm The og trilogy fucking rules, I don't give a fuck what you revisionist vultures have to say... I'm really not even a big Star Wars guy at all, but as an adult I adore those simply as 70s genre stuff. The props, music, design, sound and characters are fucking wonderful...

the story is FINE
Oh, I agree with all that. Great production design, Williams basically wrote the book on how to do movie soundtracks with Star Wars, memorable characters and for some reason memorable sound effects, which is a weird thing to say, but it's true.

And the story is fine.

Just that.

Fine.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I love ewoks!
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:48 pmI don't comprehend the black-heartedness I'd need to surrender to to HATE EWOKS... fuck off
Necrometer wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:34 pmI love ewoks!
:fonz:
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Geeheeb wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:20 am
i kinda speed re-read this thread from bed last night and there are so many funny posts that i had tears in my eyes at one point. TF saying his kids are star wars shitheads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i hope to make a serious and non disposable star wars post one of these days :|
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:48 pm The og trilogy fucking rules, I don't give a fuck what you revisionist vultures have to say... I'm really not even a big Star Wars guy at all, but as an adult I adore those simply as 70s genre stuff. The props, music, design, sound and characters are fucking wonderful...

the story is FINE, everyone has just returned to it too many times, and now it seems insignificant through overexposure,

I don't comprehend the black-heartedness I'd need to surrender to to HATE EWOKS... fuck off
couldn't ag5ree more.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

must admit...

good with the Dark City Palpatine bullshit.
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Olyphant fucking rules.

ruvnaround.
godofdeadlydeath
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

MPD wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:36 pm Olyphant fucking rules.

ruvnaround.
I somehow forgot or didn't get spoiled that he was a part of this. Olyphant now playing a FOURTH marshal character - Deadwood, Justified, Fargo and The Mandalorian - is fucking awesome.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

tentative 9/10 on this new season of The Mandalorian bros.

best Star Wars.
kevin hash
Better at internetting than you.

Post by kevin hash »

Won't watch.

Star Wars is over.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

my hound dog's dump still hot - zerohero
godofdeadlydeath

I don't give a fuck about the Clone Wars or the animated shows but Rosario Dawson was pretty cool as Ashoka

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I like The Mandalorian fine and this season is possibly better than the first, but I also kinda don't understand why everyone's going so ga-ga over it. I guess it's nice that there's a Star War that you can enjoy without squinting and straining.
godofdeadlydeath

spacehamster wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:09 am I like The Mandalorian fine and this season is possibly better than the first, but I also kinda don't understand why everyone's going so ga-ga over it. I guess it's nice that there's a Star War that you can enjoy without squinting and straining.
I think the fact that it's an easy-to-consume, well-made Star Wars show that doesn't seem as pandering as every other Disney-SW production just makes it easy to love. Each episode is a nice self-contained story and not so concerned with the mythology, which is refreshing.