black sabbath

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Re: black sabbath

Post by Zerohero »

I think my anger is more about someone writing such a matter of fact end of the story review for an album out less than a week.

Maybe it's valid for dipshits that spin an mp3 once on shitty pc speakers then move on to the next of 321312313131 albums, but thats not the way to digest music. I did not LOVE or even like Reign in Blood after my first spin... hearing only a wall of fast blasting; It would go down as one of my top 5 metal albums of all time. This isn't to say this Sabbath album is going to go down even in my top 100, its not, but there's enough to enjoy on it that I think at the end of the day when Sabbath has corpsed out, a Black Sabbath fan will be happy they put out another album in this vein, with Ozzy--as close to his deathbed as he seems most of the time.

Maybe that last Morbid Angel didn't take months to figure out it was below par, but I don't think this Sabbath record fits that mold. Give it some time and get back in a year, or at a minimum a couple weeks for crying pete's sake on a month of sundays..
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Zerohero wrote:Enter next The Rubin, who’s made a lucrative career of defibrillating many a flatlining music career,
Ugh. Stopped reading.
Last edited by james on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

the reviewer is a prick to be sure.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

BUNGVOX wrote:the reviewer is a prick to be sure.

he argues they should have just put out a single...for whatever one (1) song he doesn't hate.

Fuck that, singles are queer. They did it right, but out an LP and let the music speak for itself.

That stupid Reuninon package has like one totally forgettable new song (? or 2) tacked on the end. That kinda crap is made to be forgotten...a pussy move.

Putting out an album, good or bad or mediocre, is what a band does, especially if you are black sabbath.

I do know I'm more likely to spin 13 than most of the 90s albums.
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i think it has some damn good riffs on it. iommi never fails when it comes to laying down the law.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

the main riff in "dear father" into the creepy arpeggios in the chorus is pretty fucking sweet. some of these songs could use a liittttllle trimming though
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

El Hongo Diabolico wrote:I believe that, deep down, Ozzy is still utterly terrified of Iommi and Iommi, in turn, is terrified of Sharon's vagina dentata. I don't know what Sharon is terrified of other than being middle class.
Irrelevance and fiscal decline, I would imagine.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

Spooky Apparition wrote:the main riff in "dear father" into the creepy arpeggios in the chorus is pretty fucking sweet. some of these songs could use a liittttllle trimming though
I can relate to that critique---in general about long songs. If you have 4 minutes of song, a song should be four minutes, not 9 or 10. But I'll let that slide on this album.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

maiden is guilty of the same but to an even greater degree.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

BUNGVOX wrote:maiden is guilty of the same but to an even greater degree.
true, and at least sabbath didn't just repeat the title of the songs a dozen times for the choruses
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

BUNGVOX wrote:maiden is guilty of the same but to an even greater degree.

I was thinking about Maiden when I wrote that--- only they did it on songs that sucked even in the first minute.

Cripes all that Virtual X crap with 03820418 times repeating phrase, and 3 minute bass keyboard intros to ever song.

It's one thing to have an awesome riff and beat it off into the ground for ten minutes, and quite another to write a pile of shit and tack on and intro, 3 extra go rounds on the meat of it and 3 minute outro. godamn maiden.

lesser Sabbath destroys lesser maiden by 20813098203198 miles.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

I guess the only thing I can really complain about on this album is the awful lyrics, and robotic drumming. Overall I'm digging it.
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

If Sabbath's lyrics for Snowblind came out in 2013 we'd laff our asses off.
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

I still laff sometimes at the live version.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i read somewhere that geezer wrote lyrics at the last minute. oh well. the riffs are where it's at. lord iommi's 'fuck you cancer' string strangling man riffs.
andy vomit
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by andy vomit »

toni and geezer fucking kill it with the riffs. really, really good stuff. heavy as shit.
drumming is... just kinda ... there, i guess. it's not awful, it gets the job done, but i'd much have rather heard ward and his crazy fills behind the kit.
ozzy's vocals are ozzy's vocals. i wasn't expecting him to sound like he used to, obviously, but i think there's just too much studio shit going on ... which is kinda strange, because if there wasn't any studio trickery, he'd sound even worse.

it's not awful by any stretch, but i'll be spinning this less than any of the other ozzy era albums (except maybe NSD and TE).
i think it'd be a really great instrumental doom album.
"erections: mother nature's thumbs up."

the vomit arsonist - death industrial / power electronics
danvers state recordings - noise & pe label
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

andy vomit wrote:
it's not awful by any stretch, but i'll be spinning this less than any of the other ozzy era albums (except maybe NSD and TE).
probably different thread but fuckit i just like waxing about sabbath...

in someways Never Say Die is the greatest testament to Sabbaths strengths to me--because that was a fucked up throw away album, written in haste practically on napkins when the band was in process of breaking up/imploding/wacked out on drugs---made in Canada away from home comforts, and damn, that album still fucking rules full of riffs. I love the atypical "Air Dance" too... love that tune as much as anything.

I kinda always liked NSD's harsh sounding production---seems raw and just really heavy.

I'm not saying it's my favorite slab, or even in their top 5 or so, but always amazed me, like at that point in time the just could just shit out an album in the toilet and even if not gold it was bronze and silver.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

El Hongo Diabolico wrote:
Zerohero wrote: I'm not saying it's my favorite slab, or even in their top 5 or so, but always amazed me, like at that point in time the just could just shit out an album in the toilet and even if not gold it was bronze and silver.
Admit it: you're just scared of silence.

What ya mean mans?

:?:
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

Zerohero wrote:
andy vomit wrote:
probably different thread but fuckit i just like waxing about sabbath...

in someways Never Say Die is the greatest testament to Sabbaths strengths to me--because that was a fucked up throw away album, written in haste practically on napkins when the band was in process of breaking up/imploding/wacked out on drugs---made in Canada away from home comforts, and damn, that album still fucking rules full of riffs. I love the atypical "Air Dance" too... love that tune as much as anything.

I kinda always liked NSD's harsh sounding production---seems raw and just really heavy.

I'm not saying it's my favorite slab, or even in their top 5 or so, but always amazed me, like at that point in time the just could just shit out an album in the toilet and even if not gold it was bronze and silver.
you know they were doing coffee table length lines of coke continuously during the making of that album.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Over the years I have warmed up a lot to NSD. It's just proved to age into a great 70s train wreck drugrock album. Always loved the coked up title track.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Love Never Say Die. I listen to it more than Volume 4 or Master of Reality. I don't think it's as good as those albums, but for some odd reason I've got more affection for it.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Steeb
Supreme Hatred

Post by Steeb »

james wrote:Love Never Say Die. I listen to it more than Volume 4 or Master of Reality. I don't think it's as good as those albums, but for some odd reason I've got more affection for it.
I fucking love the songs I love on those other albums but the songs I love off of NSD are just beyond awesome. I love the grooviness of the earlier songs for sure, but the structures and the all around mood of the NSD album make it, just super.
"Thinking about B-ramming your mom, i know she lives out here I'm gonna find her." - Double Anal
"What ever bro I own wine glasses and shit..." - Noah Thirteen
"I actually believe in God." - Lord Beguile

Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

Steeb wrote:
james wrote:Love Never Say Die. I listen to it more than Volume 4 or Master of Reality. I don't think it's as good as those albums, but for some odd reason I've got more affection for it.
I fucking love the songs I love on those other albums but the songs I love off of NSD are just beyond awesome. I love the grooviness of the earlier songs for sure, but the structures and the all around mood of the NSD album make it, just super.

I think the garage band sound of Never Say Die is part of the charm.

I almost "see" the band in some garage or warehouse with a couple mics just plugging in and cranking it up when I listen to it. Almost "punk" like anti-production values. I mean its clear, but just so in your face-- much more so than any other title in the whole discography.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

It's like the KISS chapter of their travels through rock sounds of the 70s...