The Bottom of the Nerdhole: Miniature Painting Thread!

Music posts are a bannable offense.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Bottom of the Nerdhole: Miniature Painting Thread!

Post by THE KILL »

Good shit! :tup:
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

spacehamster wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:58 am So here's that last paint test I did:

And then it was time to say screw it and get serious. Here are the Assault Intercessors from the Recruit starter box.

Overall I'm pretty happy with these and I'm definitely sticking to the color recipe and basing scheme. There's still some consistency issues - on some of them I went too hard with the highlight on the head and lost the shadows on the temples, and obviously some of the bases look better than others because I friggin' hate puttying and sanding and as usual, I thought I could get away with doing a half-assed job and then it turned out that I couldn't.

Anyway, I'm moving on to the Necrons from the same box now, and then the two HQ models. And then I'll really, really for real crack open the Indomitus box maybe eventually.
unapologetically next-paging this incredible work :pizza:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

In other news, I finally finished this Baneblade I started in January. I swear I've never had this many things go wrong with one build in my entire life, but, well, it's done now. With custom LEDs and everything.

storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:fonz:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

It's the Iron Duke!!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:37 am It's the Iron Duke!!
You know, I gotta be honest, I googled it and I thought it was the name of a spaceship. But the reality is I just saw the decal and thought, that sounds cool, it's gotta go on there.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:34 am
THE KILL wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:37 am It's the Iron Duke!!
You know, I gotta be honest, I googled it and I thought it was the name of a spaceship. But the reality is I just saw the decal and thought, that sounds cool, it's gotta go on there.
It's a cool as fuck name. Funny thing is I stumbled upon your post on Dakkadakka (I think?) a couple of days before you posted it here, and the fact that you put LEDs into a toy tank was impressive then and is impressive now.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:30 am It's a cool as fuck name. Funny thing is I stumbled upon your post on Dakkadakka (I think?) a couple of days before you posted it here, and the fact that you put LEDs into a toy tank was impressive then and is impressive now.
Yeah, I posted it on Dakkadakka as well.

This was the first time I modded a kit for LEDs that isn't specifically built for them, but to be fair, it was a completely soldered set that I got from a website called Small Scale Lights if you want to check them out. I don't have a soldering iron and I'm still kind of testing the waters as far as LEDs go, so this was a good way to start. Obviously I still had to do a lot of drilling and sanding just to get them in there, but that's stuff I'm used to doing.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 am
THE KILL wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:30 am It's a cool as fuck name. Funny thing is I stumbled upon your post on Dakkadakka (I think?) a couple of days before you posted it here, and the fact that you put LEDs into a toy tank was impressive then and is impressive now.
Yeah, I posted it on Dakkadakka as well.

This was the first time I modded a kit for LEDs that isn't specifically built for them, but to be fair, it was a completely soldered set that I got from a website called Small Scale Lights if you want to check them out. I don't have a soldering iron and I'm still kind of testing the waters as far as LEDs go, so this was a good way to start. Obviously I still had to do a lot of drilling and sanding just to get them in there, but that's stuff I'm used to doing.
Thanks for the tip, but I've got a cheap collection of LEDs and braid wire and do the lighting for dioramas etc. myself. Soldering is piss-easy, there's virtually no learning curve to it, just presolder everything and use ample amounts of solder flux. Do the tug test as soon as the solder is cold. And that's about all there is to it... The one thing you have to learn if you want to dispense with (convenient, but super expensive) readymade LED kits is calculating which resistors you need.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

One game I've always wondered about but never played is GW's Man O'War, a 1:600 scale fantasy naval wargame released in 1993. Somebody remodelled them in 3D and put them up on thingiverse, so I printed out fleets for the Skaven, Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves and the Dwarves. I'm almost finished with four of the Skaven ships - here's the flagship:

My shitty camera does strange things to the colours, I swear the bell looks a lot better in reality...

Here's one of the three flamer ships:

Here are the other fleets:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'll never not approve of anything Skaven-related. Love your color choices there too.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:25 am I'll never not approve of anything Skaven-related. Love your color choices there too.
Cheers, man!

Did some more painting the last couple of weeks. Here's part of the Dwarf fleet:

And Chaos Dwarf Thunderfire and Great Leveller Battlebarges (the names and everything else in this game is demented-90s-GW-style, I love it):

Also working on islands, here's a first test piece:

It needs more trees, I think...
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The flag ship of the Orc fleet, still without a sail:

Some of the terrain I built for Man O'War:

And I finally got to paint the first Space Marines for the miniversion of Space Crusade I'm working on; the playing field and the minis were reduced to 60%/ 50%. (Funnily, it was called Space Quest in Germany and other. non-British European countries to tie into Hero Quest's success. Oh, and for our American fellows, it's a board game taking place in the WH40K universe, and its complexity was only a tad above Hero Quest's. Apparently, it was never released in North America.)
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Uh, where'd all your pictures go?

Anyway, I've had the busiest year of all time, but with summer finally here, I done did some stuffs. Mostly minis that have been lying around half finished for months, tbqh.

First I finally finished these Clanrats, which completes my 1000-odd Skaven army for home games. I still have a Stormfiends box that I want to do eventually, but I don't know that I can fit them into 1000 points at their insane cost without losing something else I really want to keep, and in general, frankly, I'm done with Skaven. I love them as a faction and the models are great, but if I have to paint another unit of Clanrats, I'm going to shoot myself.

Anyway, next I finished painting these Necron warriors. There's ten of them, here's a couple.

Image Image Image

The process for these is really simple - it's basically Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminium with a couple of applications of Reikland Fleshshade to tint the armor, then some details with various other paints and presto, done. The problem is that in order to keep the metallic sheen, I have to topcoat them with Vallejo's Metal Varnish, and that turns the only part that's painted matt (the gun casing) into something like... I dunno, licorice. So if I stick with this recipe, I'll have to start painting the gun casing gunmetal, I guess.

But then I saw a Youtube video with a different technique for these guys and tried it on the Royal Warden.

Image Image Image

I like this much better and it also allows me to do my usual matte topcoat in the end. But of course it's also more time consuming, and I think I need a different color for the base, it all blends together a bit too much.

And I also finished this Primaris Lieutenant, which wraps up the 40K Recruit Edition starter box. Pretty happy with this guy, other than the garbage-tier freehanding on the scrolls.

THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Ay caramba!! :tup:
I like my metals weathered and I'd also paint my Necrons that way. Btw have you tried oil washes? They're great for many reasons, but one of the best things about them is that they give you a weathered look and super fast outlining on details at the same time.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:50 am Ay caramba!! :tup:
I like my metals weathered and I'd also paint my Necrons that way. Btw have you tried oil washes? They're great for many reasons, but one of the best things about them is that they give you a weathered look and super fast outlining on details at the same time.
Oh, I've been using oil paints on mecha model kits for years - if you like to do a lot of weathering, they're basically the best thing since sliced bread. All these Space Marines also have oil filters, actually (although I did go pretty light on the Lieutenant because I wanted him to look a bit less roughed up than the troops), and the streaking you see on the leg armor is also done with oil paints. Not to mention the Baneblade is covered in multiple applications.

Honestly, for panel lining, I wouldn't recommend acrylic washes at all. Oils and enamels work much better for multiple reasons.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:54 am
THE KILL wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:50 am Ay caramba!! :tup:
Oh, I've been using oil paints on mecha model kits for years - if you like to do a lot of weathering, they're basically the best thing since sliced bread. All these Space Marines also have oil filters, actually (although I did go pretty light on the Lieutenant because I wanted him to look a bit less roughed up than the troops), and the streaking you see on the leg armor is also done with oil paints. Not to mention the Baneblade is covered in multiple applications.

Honestly, for panel lining, I wouldn't recommend acrylic washes at all. Oils and enamels work much better for multiple reasons.
Right right, I remember we talked about oils plenty of times. Wouldn't have guessed that the marines have oil filters, it's very subtle.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:30 am Wouldn't have guessed that the marines have oil filters, it's very subtle.
It's just to add a little discoloration and irregularity to the blue, mostly - you really only notice it if you look at one that doesn't have it right next to it, but that's kind of the point. Also, at this small size, you really have to be careful with oil filters - I can't remember if I posted about this here, but I did a whole series of experiments with these marines to come up with my final recipe, and I really found that I was using less and less as I progressed because it knocked back the contrast of the highlights too much.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:45 am
THE KILL wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:30 am Wouldn't have guessed that the marines have oil filters, it's very subtle.
It's just to add a little discoloration and irregularity to the blue, mostly - you really only notice it if you look at one that doesn't have it right next to it, but that's kind of the point. Also, at this small size, you really have to be careful with oil filters - I can't remember if I posted about this here, but I did a whole series of experiments with these marines to come up with my final recipe, and I really found that I was using less and less as I progressed because it knocked back the contrast of the highlights too much.
You did post about it here, it was a really interesting read. Sometimes less is more.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Got this Redemptor Dreadnought done just in time for work to start up again. Basically I took the paint recipe from the Marines themselves and just... did the same thing here. Only difference is that the blue was done by pre-shading black over grey primer and then the usual base and highlight colors. This just doesn't work on tiny miniatures. A bit more oil paint on this guy than I'd use on a smaller model as well, there's just more room for this sort of stuff on bigger models. But I kind of devised my basic recipe based on how I'd paint mecha anyway, so it's a natural fit.

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

if one were looking for 9th edition codices would someone support pm with the necessary guidance in doing that pls

its for a girl!
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

mike, the stuff you've been posting in here is so cool - thanks for sharing it!

sorry to link to reddit, but this blew my mind - and I couldn't even grasp what I was looking at, without the multiple angles. the underboob doesn't hurt, either. but still, even if this dude tackled a tasteful nude of skyclad I'm sure I'd be impressed.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Yeah, "looks like a 2D painting" is basically the top tier. This one's really fucking amazing, though. You'll find a lot of good stuff like that on r/minipainting, btw, if you can get over the fact that it's Reddit, heh.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i didnt know orks were FUNGUS?!

thats so cool
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR