Gear thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

Right hand side of my desktop :bean:
Zerohero wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am cleaning out old stuff in the freezer--- old slice of leftover pizza..boom eaten back to life
Warpsmasher
git help.

I seem to have caught the pedal bug again...though this time around I'm going in with plenty of experience and knowledge of what's good and what to avoid. It has been pretty gratifying knowing that the choices I've been making are good ones.
There is a new Chinese pedal explosion happening now in 2021 as well. Gone are the days of Danelectro, Digitech and DOD dominating the $25-$50 market. Mooer is like the new Boss, at least in China. They clone the fuck out of everything already, and then the PCBs get used by any number of new popup companies, which are coming pretty steadily. It's kind of ridiculous at this point, but there are some amazing gems to be had out of it for sure. Mosky, for example, seems to be pretty fond of the Wampler circuits, and offers handwired clones of the Pinnacle and Triple Wreck , as well as an OCD. Those are under $60 brand new. They also have a mini klon, which might as well be a tumnus, for $22. Wampler is the shit. I had a Triple Wreck once, that thing was heavy as fuck, just an amazing distortion. I might get a Dracarys just to see where the fuck he took it from there.

So I got tired of only having a Death Metal and a Grunge as spare distortions for jams at my place with friends, that's what started it this time. Well, that and I had just recently got a Digitech Freqout, which is super rad too...so anyway, I started with a Joyo Uzi, which is a $49 clone of the $200 Friedman BE-OD, in a cool enclosure with fancy lights. It was a nice strong hit of the good stuff... much better than expected...so it just got me wanting to repeat the satisfaction. I was just trying to be sensible about distortion and go with an affordable brand that sounds good...really, that's it. So next day I'm ordering a Hotone Djent...this pedal is going to be the Death Metal of its time, obviously, and for pretty much all the same reasons. I just wanted to have one, and now I do. It sounds awesome as you might expect when fed suboctaves and bassy synth signals. Also looks cool because it's SO tiny. So now it's time to check some resources on these clone wars:

Mooer clone chart (not complete but decent):

If you get familar with the knob/switch layouts and functions for each Mooer you're interested in, there are other newer brands that use the same PCBs and make the same pedals for even less, with different names/enclosures/knobs/colors etc. From that selection process I got a Sonicake Shark, which is the exact same thing as the Mooer Solo, for 16 bucks on ebay. It's ridiculous. That's a fucking Suhr Riot circuit. Of course my ass is going full junkie at this point. Onward to craigslist...where I found a Tomsline G-Fuzz, which is a very nicely repackaged Mooer Grey Faze, which is a fucking original spec Arbiter Fuzzface. Does the cool splatty fuzzfactory noise shit when you slam it with a boost. This is the kind of stuff that is saturating the $25-$50 market now, and it's way better than the old shit.

Caline/Joyo/Donner/Nux:

Behringer etc: http://www.thecavanproject.com/101-effect-pedal-clones/

More on this as it develops I guess...I got some footswitch caps, they really spice up the pedals aesthetically, so much so that some now look naked without 'em. I need a reverb, but don't really want to settle for anything less than an Eventide Space. Mooer has some new stuff that is supposedly based on Strymon algorithms so that might be worth a try.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

There’s so much ridiculous cheap stuff on Amazon now pedal wise. I got a looper which is basically the same thing as TC’s “ditto looper” for $36. That’s why Bezo’s owns all our asses.
“Look not for the Turk in this world, you will not find him there.” - WS
Warpsmasher
git help.

:fp:

Yeah I guess I need a looper too. I have couple in eurorack, but for that cheap I might as well start using a pedal.
cxwx

Warpsmasher wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 am Image

:fp:

Yeah I guess I need a looper too. I have couple in eurorack, but for that cheap I might as well start using a pedal.
I just ordered a mini envelope filter for like $28. Fuck you Bezos; I hope Kang and Kodos shove the Hubble telescope up your ass.
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

HAHAHAH
Zerohero wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am cleaning out old stuff in the freezer--- old slice of leftover pizza..boom eaten back to life
Eight Bit Alien
I hate your life.

I mean why not?! Gonna check out a review of that shit as soon as I get the chance today.
Id really like to know what's inside that thing and how exactly it came to be. Can we assume it's a clone of something obvious, or is that too ambitions? Could just be a rebrand of something super generic, I have no idea what the pedal scene is like even in normal cases.

I've definitely got a bit of Amazon Basics copper cable in my signal network over here... got me the same way they always get me, need another 3 bucks for free shipping or whatever, and oh look Amazon Basics sells a 2 foot guitar cable... alright fuck it.
godofdeadlydeath
I hate your life.

I got a Behringer compressor/sustainer a few weeks back, haven't played too much with it but did love what it does to my clean sounds.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
cxwx

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 am I mean why not?! Gonna check out a review of that shit as soon as I get the chance today.
Id really like to know what's inside that thing and how exactly it came to be. Can we assume it's a clone of something obvious, or is that too ambitions? Could just be a rebrand of something super generic, I have no idea what the pedal scene is like even in normal cases.

I've definitely got a bit of Amazon Basics copper cable in my signal network over here... got me the same way they always get me, need another 3 bucks for free shipping or whatever, and oh look Amazon Basics sells a 2 foot guitar cable... alright fuck it.
It’s not just “Amazon basics” there’s dozens of these no name brands that I assume are all sourced from the same warehouse in these mini pedal housings.

This guy opened the Amazon basics over drive and it it had a NUX circuit board inside skip to around 14:45

Warpsmasher
git help.

hah, this one has a link to a shirt

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 am I have no idea what the pedal scene is like even in normal cases.
There are a few docs you could watch that might learn you up on some history and interesting tidbits, but I don't think any of them really can capture the experience. It can be just like comics, sports, or any other thing that has a fanboy following; keeping up on most talented creators/players, hunting shit down, the waiting and fiending, sudden lucky scores, flipping on ebay and reverb, all that. And then there's what you actually do with them, which is a whole disneyland/orgy unto itself. You're into synths and stuff so you already know, basically. It's toys toys toys. It can be your new crack rock if you're looking for one, so beware. I'm taking advantage of these clone wars right now to pad my collection with some old classics. I just ordered two more, a Mosky D250X (aka Dod 250) and a Tomsline Black Teeth (Rat). Most of the Rat clones out now only have a two way switch to go from vintage to turbo:

$19.80
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174847395129?s ... 1438.l2649

$32.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303643959401?s ... 1438.l2649

I'm pretty pleased with both brands so far. I went with option B because it's got the 3 way switch vs. 2 way on the Mosky. Big fucking spender down here in the cheapo bin, haha.

I do want some more expensive and crazy pedals again at some point. I miss having the eventide boxes, they are absolutely next level, like little supersynths, all of them.

Also this thing...