8.6 quake in china

Music posts are a bannable offense.
metal5411
I hate my life.

Re: 8.6 quake in china

Post by metal5411 »

I'm hoping this isn't true. Not for the people of China, I just don't want Battletard to be right.
krudmonk wrote:Just fuck a robot that looks like her. It's Japan, retard.
monsterod wrote:Look, I'd rather be riding a rocket-propelled wild boar through space with a bottle of Maker's getting a blowjob from Mrs. Snozzberries. But at this point, I'd be satisfied with a brisk trot down the street from a common sow.
chrusti(ns)anity
Olde Timer

Post by chrusti(ns)anity »

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2515484
As many know, the Richter Scale is logrithmic- a 2.0 quake releases ten times the energy that a 1.0 quake does. According to information at Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale an 8.5 quake would release the energy equal to 5.6 gigatons of TNT. By comparison, the largest explosion ever detonated was the Tsar (nuclear) Bomb in Russia, 1961 which had an estimated yield of 50 megatons- that would have been about a 7.1 earthquake if it was in the ground (it was an air detonation) so an 8.6 would be about 15 times bigger than that. The bomb dropped on Nagasaki would have been the aproximate energy of a 5.0 quake. There is not a known weapon with enough energy to cause an 8.6 quake.

It is highly unlikely (if not impossible) for there to have been an actual quake of that magnitude which would not have been picked up by other quake monitoring stations around the world.

Closer examination of the information provided indicates that they are not using the Richter scale (they say mb=8.6). ML would be Richter.
Quote:
Magnitudine: 8.6 ( mb=8.6 )
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/phase_data/mag_formulas.html
Quote:
ML = log A - log Ao
defined by Richter (1935) where A is the maximum trace amplitude in millimeters recorded on a standard short-period seismometer and log Ao is a standard value as a function of distance where distance <= 600 kilometers.
Quote:
mb = log (A/T) +Q(D,h)
defined by Gutenberg and Richter (1956) except that T, the period in seconds, is restricted to 0.1 <= T <= 3.0 and A, the ground amplitude in micrometers, is not necessarily the maximum in the P group. Q is a function of distance (D) and depth (h) where D >= 5°.
MB is "Compressional Body Wave (P-wave) Magnitude" and ML is Local Magnitude. I am looking for any comparisons between the two (they are actually measuring different things so they may not be comparable) but that could explain an 8.6 mb and the 4.6 Richter reported in the first article in the original post. They are two different types of waves generated by quakes. Kind of like the different colors of the light spectrum. There are even other quake wave measurements too such as MS and MW.

This article abstract discusses the problems with using different measures for quakes so maybe there is not currently any reliable conversion between the two:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/pwqk306gr8172t38/
Quote:
Abstract The existence of several magnitude scales used by seismological centers all over the world and the compilation of earthquake catalogs by many authors have rendered globally valid relations connecting magnitude scales a necessity. This would allow the creation of a homogeneous global earthquake catalog, a useful tool for earthquake research. Of special interest is the definition of global relations converting different magnitude scales to the most reliable and useful scale of magnitude, the moment magnitude, M W. In order to accomplish this, a very large sample of data from international seismological sources (ISC, NEIC, HRVD, etc.) has been collected and processed. The magnitude scales tested against M W are the surface wave magnitude, M S, the body wave magnitude, m b, and the local magnitude, M L.
It looks like there was NOT an 8.6 Richter scale quake in China.
Toxicarius
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by Toxicarius »

So the Dali Lama didn't jump after all, eh? Figures...
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR
Threads Endlessly Scrolled
Threads Endlessly Scrolled

Post by ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR »

nuclear weapons testing.
I AM AN INTELLECTUAL FUCKING COMBATANT OF GOD, I AM TOO TOUGH TO CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

caldwell.the.great wrote:but no other member here does exactly what ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR does, not even the other trolls.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

metal5411 wrote:I'm hoping this isn't true. Not for the people of China, I just don't want Battletard to be right.
he isn't right. he's full of bullshit.

he masturbates to pictures of ronald reagan.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

BUNGVOX wrote:
he masturbates to pictures of Sean Hannity.
Fixed.
metal5411
I hate my life.

Post by metal5411 »

electronicham wrote:China? ITS IN CHILE

Wait a minute.........
EITHER WAY THERE NOT WITE AND PART OF THE ZOG GO EARTH!!!
krudmonk wrote:Just fuck a robot that looks like her. It's Japan, retard.
monsterod wrote:Look, I'd rather be riding a rocket-propelled wild boar through space with a bottle of Maker's getting a blowjob from Mrs. Snozzberries. But at this point, I'd be satisfied with a brisk trot down the street from a common sow.