Self-taught drummers, what was your method of learning?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
rape bear
Don't mess with my shit.

Re: Self-taught drummers, what was your method of learning?

Post by rape bear »

Awwwwww...

http://failed.bandcamp.com
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:i would so slap on a strap on and rape his ass.
Pyrite Medal of Ignorance

Post by Pyrite Medal of Ignorance »

rape bear wrote:Awwwwww...

eeeeee

i feel so bad for my neighbors, i was playing for a while before i realized the basement window was open. i hope my roommates have a good relationship with those people, never met 'em...

father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Fuck, this thread makes me excited for when I can scrounge my way into an extra $300 for a craigslist'd drum set.

When I was a wee lad, and my drum teacher begged my parents to make me practice, because I was the best kid he taught, I simply could not be convinced to stop running around outside or stop playing Zombies At My Neighbors! long enough to practice. He killed himself a few years ago. Mmyep.
fvkk
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

So... did you give up yet?
mastoman
How's them beans, ma?

Post by mastoman »

i get this terrible pain in my wrist after about 15 minutes or less of playing and i have to stop or it gets worse. this has only happened in maybe the past couple weeks and i've been playing for about 7 months now. what am i doing wrong? do i need to position the drums differently, warm up, or do i just have fucked up wrists?
Big Blood Grenade
DO THE DEW!

Post by Big Blood Grenade »

My post won't really help because you already have access to a drum set, etc. But I was thinking about it, and I actually learned how to play drums on some stupid homemade shit. My grandmother was a mulitalented musician, so she had an old sparkly orange Ludwig snare drum and a hi hat laying around. First I took these two things and started learning to play beats by stomping my foot on the floor for the bass drum and playing the hi hat and snare. I would sit and play along to albums I liked that I could handle playing. Then I borrowed a few other spare parts from musicians I knew, like a crappy bass drum pedal and another snare drum. I got a trash can and turned it into my bass drum. I got a bucket and hooked it to an old music stand with some vice grips for a high tom, and once the head on the sparkly snare drum busted, I fixed it with duct tape and sat it on top of some egg crates for my floor tom. That was my first drum set.

My only real advice is that to me, learning to play drums started as getting all of your limbs to work together in different groups, and once you master that, you start taking it all apart and doing the opposite, trying to make all of your limbs do different shit at the same time within the constraints of time signatures, adding grace notes and accents, etc.

Friendly Goatus wrote:So... did you give up yet?

no. im trying to keep my work week down to like 2 shifts (4 this week, ungh) so i can spend all day M-F working to make the shakes to make your balls drop, homenizzle. HOURS OF FUN. im a fucking powerhouse of nervous energy, you have no idea i guess...?

p.s. seeing so many rad chicks in the portland scene (and exxxxtreeeme music in general) is really encouraging. it's not even a novelty anymore, really. :cheers:
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Please do. My undescended testicle is really bothering me.

:what: dude, that's pretty cool. my younger brother was born wih an undescended testicle. apparently they have to do surgery to look for that shit if it doesn't drop within a couple of years, because if it formed AT ALL and just didn't drop it can become cancerous later...? anyway, they did the surgery and didn't find his nut. since i was an evil cunt of a child, i told everyone on the school bus about it when i was in 5th grade. he still has gone on to be an ok guy and bang playboy looking sluts, so i guess i don't feel too guilty?!

hope you don't have cancer, goatus!
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Play either Rock Band or Guitar Hero. The drums part is quite close to real drumming and it will teach you some coordination and rhythm.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg

thanks but i don't know where to get video games and i definitely don't want to waste money when i can roll out of bed 20 feet and play real drums.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Pyrite Medal of Ignorance wrote:thanks but i don't know where to get video games .
uhhhhhhhhh.......
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Pyrite Medal of Ignorance wrote:thanks but i don't know where to get video games and i definitely don't want to waste money when i can roll out of bed 20 feet and play real drums.
At least you do not want to be a vet, because you know, you could just roll out of bed and operate on your cat.
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

mastoman wrote:i get this terrible pain in my wrist after about 15 minutes or less of playing and i have to stop or it gets worse. this has only happened in maybe the past couple weeks and i've been playing for about 7 months now. what am i doing wrong? do i need to position the drums differently, warm up, or do i just have fucked up wrists?
try different sticks, lighter, different wood, different length, different density for flex. also watch some videos online about how to hold your sticks properly. also properly stretch and warm up slowly instead of going all out right away. make sure your drums are at a proper height (this is up for interpretation, obv.) quit hanging out on the computer for so long each day. don't eat green peppers, although this last one should only affect a small percentage of the population (but it seriously can).
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

canon.docre wrote:don't eat green peppers, although this last one should only affect a small percentage of the population (but it seriously can).
Comin' out with the big guns here.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
metal5411
I hate my life.

Post by metal5411 »

Krieg wrote:Play either Rock Band or Guitar Hero. The drums part is quite close to real drumming and it will teach you some coordination and rhythm.
:lol:
krudmonk wrote:Just fuck a robot that looks like her. It's Japan, retard.
monsterod wrote:Look, I'd rather be riding a rocket-propelled wild boar through space with a bottle of Maker's getting a blowjob from Mrs. Snozzberries. But at this point, I'd be satisfied with a brisk trot down the street from a common sow.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

metal5411 wrote:
Krieg wrote:Play either Rock Band or Guitar Hero. The drums part is quite close to real drumming and it will teach you some coordination and rhythm.
:lol:
Eh, it's better than nothing.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I would think it would at least help build some coordination and timing, especially on the harder difficulties. Zillions of hours of Guitar Hero after I got my guitar helped my coordination noticeably.
fvkk
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

father of lies wrote:I would think it would at least help build some coordination and timing, especially on the harder difficulties. Zillions of hours of Guitar Hero after I got my guitar helped my coordination noticeably.
The guitar part is not close to a real guitar in the way the drums are to real drums.
The Wages of Ben
INSIDE FISH STICKS, OUTSIDE TARTAR SAUCE

Post by The Wages of Ben »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Black Jacques wrote:fuck that man. I'm not messin' with no giant corn...
dreweq wrote:clasping em like they were pages of the pelican brief she was gonna use to solve a fuckin nancy drew murder mystery or something.
ImageImage
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I am aware. It totally helped me develop some coordination between hands, and made my left pinky more useful than the whale flipper it was before. It might be in my head, but I think it helped tighten up my timing, too. I imagine drumming on these games is like playing on an electronic kit for little kids that's $80 at Toys R Us or something. I refuse to believe that getting used to the bass pedal wouldn't be any help.

May I say, folks, I'm not one of those people that plays this shit and then thinks they can play a real instrument. It IS a bit of a reminder and kick in the ass to do something I've always wanted, though.
fvkk
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

MUSCLE MEMORY

Krieg wrote:
Pyrite Medal of Ignorance wrote:thanks but i don't know where to get video games and i definitely don't want to waste money when i can roll out of bed 20 feet and play real drums.
At least you do not want to be a vet, because you know, you could just roll out of bed and operate on your cat.

hahahha, come on. that's such a stretch. it's more like rolling out of bed and lancing a boil on my cat than actually operating on it...
alleged triggerman
SATAN!!!
SATAN!!!

Post by alleged triggerman »

Drumsticks, strategically placed pillows, close observations of music videos and a very special & important secret...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
PRACTICE.