The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
Necrometer wrote:get that shit OUT of here

what you want is an old-model brand new Samsung LCD

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40D630- ... B004SHKELG
$598.00, free shipping, no problem
OK-- spell it out for dumb ol' P-cubes.

What makes the teevee I posted shit? I say this with no hint of sarcasm or anger-- I just have no idea and want to get learned.
Get a Samsung, and make sure it's 1080p, damn you. My TV is a thing of beauty. I have another 780p TV, and I used to play the 360 and PS3 on it years ago on it. :tdown:
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

pisscubes as a movie nerd you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get a 120hz tv. as you are probably aware, normal tv has a ~30 fps framerate, but when you see a movie in theaters, its projected at 24 fps. many blu-rays will play at 24 fps if your tv supports it, making it very theater-y.

why does 120hz matter? because 120 is divisible by both 24 and 30.

stop sucking at technology
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

of course that's what it means. we don't need a thread, buy the one ross posted and quit sadsacking up the videogames thread
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

man do i ever wish that jew was animated
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I'm not a stupid man. I may be a drunk man, or a lazy man, but not stupid. Yet, on this second play through of Bioshock it has become abundantly clear I was completely confusing Fontane for Ryan during my first play through. :fp:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Oh, P.S.

No Rock Band for the party Friday. Instead my job had me go out and buy a brand new XBOX 360 with KINETIC. They wanted that fruity little Dance Central, and Zumba instead. Using the business card I also bought the sports one, just in case. I tried hooking it up at the gym today, but we use a projector instead of a TV and we don't have the screen set up yet, so doing it against a wall with a bunch of crap all over it was a bit tricky. Didn't play any of the Kinetic games yet, but I have to say it's sort of cool to be able to select screens or what have you via C.S.I. Miami super police hologram tech. 8)

Although, a moment of Terminator terror as the Kentic camera actually moved and looked it's leans right into my eyes (on it's own) because it wanted to scan my face. :shock:
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

copstache wrote:pisscubes as a movie nerd you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get a 120hz tv. as you are probably aware, normal tv has a ~30 fps framerate, but when you see a movie in theaters, its projected at 24 fps. many blu-rays will play at 24 fps if your tv supports it, making it very theater-y.

why does 120hz matter? because 120 is divisible by both 24 and 30.

stop sucking at technology
I actually prefer 60 Hz because I like the weird 5:6 chop that is artifically imposed for home-watching... but maybe the bad experience I had in the store was thanks to the bullshit "smoothing" technology that smears the frames to approximate a much higher source capture rate... a friend's TV* had this on and it was making me fucking bonkers so I turned it off... mormons probably prefer it

*it was actually the friend's roommate's TV, I would never have a friend who left that shit on their TV
once I broke up with a girl over aspect ratios
Last edited by Necrometer on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Necrometer wrote:I actually prefer 60 Hz because I like the weird 5:6 chop that is artifically imposed for home-watching... but maybe the "bad experience" I had in the store was thanks to the bullshit "smoothing" technology that smears the frames to approximate a much higher source capture rate... a friends TV had this on and it was making me fucking bonkers so I turned it off... mormons probably prefer it
oh god my parents use it and it makes my eyes bleed. one of the first things i did when i got this one was disable all of that bullshit
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

worth revisiting.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

:what:
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

A new shooter is coming out (in September?!) from Bullestorm / Witcher 2 / Sniper: Ghost Warrior / Painkiller devs. Could be cool and I'm high on Polish devs these days.

Hard Reset is the (terrible) name but I'm always interested in dark sci-fi / Blade Runner environment type games. Single player only :fonz: .
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Pisscubes wrote:Well, I may just keep my out for a good sale...
FUCKING FUCK PISSCUBES

I am trying my hardest to help you

the absolute best deal you will find is not on the used market

it's not via some bullshit pre/post/during-jewday sale

it's on the internet via warehouses that have a few few-years-old models they're looking to unload since they're no longer exciting to the public

you go on amazon and you buy from those sadsacks, find free shipping, fucking victory for all
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

Hard Reset (You're right it's a dumb name) looks freaking sweet. It's always nice to play a FPS that focuses on the single player.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

uhhhh
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

goddamnit i can't even describe how fucking real-life mad pisscubes is making me in this thread
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Pisscubes wrote:
Necrometer wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:I don't think I'll spring for 1080, either. 720 will do me fine...
OK now you're clearly just trolling...
:|
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Seriously though-- 720 on a tv that won't be any bigger than 42 inches tops? Fine.
720p vs 1080p could make sense some years ago, but nowadays we are talking about saving like 100 bucks. Come on, this is something you will use for multiple hours a day for a bunch of years.

And buy the damn TV now, if you are going to buy it anyway it does not make sense to wait to build up savings first. A+B = B+A.

And listen to Ross, old model Samsung 1080p LCD is the way.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

More Hard Reset info:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
One day, the machines will take over. That’s been a prominent paranoid theory for as long as modern technology has existed, and it seems like the theme’s still going strong. Today, Polish studio Flying Wild Hog announces its debut: a dark, science-fiction FPS going by the name of Hard Reset - and in it, the robots are very much in control.

This is a PC-exclusive shooter from a studio which, while new, contains some exquisite talent. The development team’s individual CVs list credits such as The Witcher 2, Bulletstorm, Painkiller and, slightly less impressively, Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Together, they’ve spent the last two years working secretly towards a single goal: to create a game with old-school FPS values, but with a compelling story to get stuck into if you want.

That story isn’t necessarily top priority, and it certainly won’t be forced upon you. The developers at Flying Wild Hog are keen to emphasise the game’s pure blaster heritage, and a narrative that you can read into as much as you want. “There is an intriguing and non-trivial story told through animated, comic-style cutscenes in between game levels,” explains Klaudiusz Zych, the company’s co-founder. “It’s not something you have to pay attention to if you don’t want to – you could just storm through the levels.”

But to Zych’s mind, it’s unlikely that people will do this then leave the game for dust. He thinks Hard Reset’s narrative is engaging enough to demand return visits. “From our experience,” he says, “if they skip the story on their playthrough, won’t players want to play again to find out what was it all about?”

So what is it all about? Well, players step into the shoes of Major Fletcher, a citizen of the city Bezoar and an army veteran. He finds himself caught up in a battle between the world’s major powers: the robots, who dominate; and the humans, who are putting up a valiant last stance against their mechanical enemies.

At its core, it’s a traditional, balls-to-the-wall FPS. “It’s a classic first-person shooter with loads of physics, destruction, and hordes of enemies,” says Zych. What he hopes sets it apart, though, is an experience-based upgrade system, which Flying Wild Hog reckon will add some depth to your action plans as you progress through the game. “It’s a Painkiller-meets-Diablo kind of game,” Zych smiles.

The crux of this is a weapons upgrade system, which – for the moment – the devs are keeping tight to their chests. But they’ve also yet another trick up their sleeves: a dynamic environment that will bring this sinister, future universe to life. The game boasts a strong and prominent physics system – and although we’ve yet to see it fully in action, the prospect of a changeable, cyberpunk world sounds enticing.

The game’s singleplayer-only, which is almost a shame in this game world: it means definitely no stomping about in big mech suits en masse, for one thing. But Flying Wild Hog seem entirely focused on their aims: to create a classic first-person shooter with an oppressive atmosphere looming over it.

That will be helped by the proprietary engine, certainly. Hard Reset looks gorgeous – with full dynamic lighting and some incredible, high-future art design. The city seems to stretchout spectacularly, while the effects – fire, electricity and the like – look to be frankly stunning. Meanwhile, the mix of concrete and metal feels properly authentic. Beozar looks like it’ll be a very palpable place in which to stay.

The little we’ve seen of it suggests a game that knows what it wants to do, and has set about doing it well. Whether its minor innovations will form the basis of a wonderful videogame is yet to be seen – but for the moment, I think it’s safe to say we should be keeping our eyes on this one.
From the PR guy:
Addressing some questions or whatever (I do PR on this one, along with stuff like Witcher 2, S8: Prejudice, and whatnots).

- The screenshots and trailer don't do the visuals justice. It looks awesome, and the atmosphere is wicked.
- These guys came to me with a near-finished game at E3 and said "can we release this in september?" I said, "shit yeah, we can" and started setting the announcement in motion. I wish every developer/publisher kept things to a two-month PR campaign; sustaining interest over two years isn't the easiest thing to do, and most of your hype happens around release anyway!
- If you like fast-paced shooters, you should like this.
- Trailer is not CG
- It's a small dev team, so going multiplatform is pretty much a crazy idea. Also, team is quite happy to squeeze more power out of the PC that just isn't available on consoles.
- We'll have a lot more gameplay footage and such out soon. Hell, preview builds will be in media's hands within a few weeks.

Eh? How about a bit more faith that games don't have to have year-long hype campaigns and 300-person dev teams to be worth your time? :)
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

man, forza 4 is going to shit all over GT
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

it's gonna shit all over life. turn10 is amazing
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

just keep watching this over and over

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

If they fix the shooting in this game, I'm gonna be so into it.

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Metro: Last Light should be awesome.

Also pretty pumped about Dishonored, a new Bethesda published game with a Deus Ex / Thief: Deadly Shadows lead designer and Half-Life 2's art director. Info spoilered...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Wrapping your brain around a new Halo or Mass Effect is easy enough. Understanding a new franchise like Dishonored is a little harder, and our cryptic cover probably didn’t help much. Read on to get a sense of what this stealth/action adventure from Arkane and Bethesda is about – and to see the first screenshot of the game.

(click the pic to enlarge the screenshot to full resolution)

Who are you?
Players take on the role of Corvo, the Empress’ legendary bodyguard. As the game starts, Corvo is falsely imprisoned for her murder. What the corrupt Lord Regent behind the coup didn’t realize is that Corvo is legendary for a reason. He’s not only a skilled combatant accomplished in the art of not being seen, but Corvo has a suite of supernatural powers that combine with his natural talents and unusual gadgets to make him one of the most lethal men in the known world.

Why should you care?
Even if you haven’t played them, you’ve undoubtedly heard of Thief and Deus Ex. One of the main minds behind those two games, Harvey Smith, is the co-creative director of Dishonored along with Raf Colantonio, the founder of developer Arkane Studios. The two share a vision of a game that gives players the power to be creative with their skills and tactics, and invites them to come up with interesting solutions to the obstacles in front of them. Arkane is known for its immersive first-person gaming (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic), and the power of a talent-driven publisher in Bethesda (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3) behind the team is promising.

How are they going to do that?
Dishonored has several major elements that combine to create its unique gameplay: mobility, powers & gadgets, environment, and AI. The trick is that a single power doesn’t just do damage or heal you. You can combine them organically to create interesting effects. Stop time and knock a bunch of stuff off a table in one direction then book it in another, so the guards search for you in the wrong place. Summon a swarm of rats to attack one guard, but possess one of the rats and escape in the chaos. Every problem has as many solutions as you want it to.

What’s the catch?
It’s an assassination game that reacts to how violent you are. An unusual “chaos” system tracks how much collateral damage you cause, and the game world changes as a result of your actions. Unlike a light/dark side meter, though, it’s a behind-the-scenes element that affects story decisions without punishing the player or pushing them to play one way or another.

When can I learn more?
Soon! You can get ten pages worth of details in the print magazine, and we’ll be dropping new online content, from video interviews to an interactive map of Dishonored’s world, throughout the month. We asked a lot of questions, and Smith and Colantonio had a lot to say. For starters, on Wednesday we’ll share a video that breaks down why you should be interested in the team at Arkane even if you haven’t played any of their previous games.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

:moreawesome: i had so much fun goofing around in that game