The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by spacehamster »

Haha, Larfleeze.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i'm of the opinion that bioshock 2 actually sort of rules ? i'm enjoying it way more than i thought i would. i'm playing it on hard and the challenge of getting brutally slaughtered in an area and then going back and figuring out strategies with plasmids/trapping is a lot of fun.

i wonder what effect having zero expectation of game quality had on this unexpected and mysterious outcome... having low expectations sure didn't do any favours for my decidedly less than positive opinion of star wars: republic heroes ( :fp: ) so i don't think that's the entirety of the thing

i'm enjoying it more than the first one fwiw

i hope that doesn't offend anybody, but if it does i can't control that and all i can do is apologize...
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

riley-o wrote:i'm of the opinion that bioshock 2 actually sort of rules ? i'm enjoying it way more than i thought i would. i'm playing it on hard and the challenge of getting brutally slaughtered in an area and then going back and figuring out strategies with plasmids/trapping is a lot of fun.

i wonder what effect having zero expectation of game quality had on this unexpected and mysterious outcome... having low expectations sure didn't do any favours for my decidedly less than positive opinion of star wars: republic heroes ( :fp: ) so i don't think that's the entirety of the thing

i'm enjoying it more than the first one fwiw

i hope that doesn't offend anybody, but if it does i can't control that and all i can do is apologize...
I've said Bioshock 2 was good, just wish it was another game and not a Bioshock sequel.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

why do you wish for this thing the bill
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

ah i said it before but those ambush areas in bioshock 2 where you have to set up traps to protect the sister are probably my favorite part of either of the bioshock games. i wish the whole game was a tactical room defense game or something
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i hated the first ADAM collection and dreaded having to do it again, and the first few were just brutal when it took the little sisters for fucking ever and you don't have any health upgrades

the part, i think the third one ? where you have a vita chamber in the room with the ADAM body and a turret, i was entirely out of health packs, eve hypos, ammo and money and just trying to do the entire thing with melee and failing over and over and over. i eventually had to reload from the start of the level and jealously hoard my supplies because i had no saves and my checkpoint was right in that stupid room

that was what made me start considering strategy and actually enjoy it and i have to point out that playing this game on hard has actually increased my enjoyment of it tenfold because if i'd just clobbered my way through that part i wouldn't have even experienced the tower/room defense strategy aspect of the thing
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i can't remember if i played it on normal or hard, probably hard since that's what i beat the first one on. i play an embarrassing amount of tower defense and strategy games though and i beat them on the first or second try so ymmv.

hacked turret bots help a lot too
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

yeah i hack everything i see and while i've warmed up to the hackmeter in this one, i still miss the overflow game :(
Wolfey
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Wolfey »

Why are people such xasthur fans that they can't enjoy Alpha Protocol?
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i've been formulating a theory regarding that.

i feel like people like me who were into late 90's, early 00's pc games are predisposed to that kind of game. ambitious but totally janky you know? if you're used to pushing through clunky interfaces and weird bugs and ugly graphics to play unique and rewarding games then AP is a no-brainer

nowadays gamers are conditioned to games that feel right out of the box. and that's a worthy goal for developers, to make games that "feel" right. but i feel like the people who don't like AP are the kind of people who would play the first Deus Ex for 15 minutes and then write it off
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

copstache wrote:i've been formulating a theory regarding that.

i feel like people like me who were into late 90's, early 00's pc games are predisposed to that kind of game. ambitious but totally janky you know? if you're used to pushing through clunky interfaces and weird bugs and ugly graphics to play unique and rewarding games then AP is a no-brainer

nowadays gamers are conditioned to games that feel right out of the box. and that's a worthy goal for developers, to make games that "feel" right. but i feel like the people who don't like AP are the kind of people who would play the first Deus Ex for 15 minutes and then write it off
I like me some original Deus Ex but hates me some AP. I think I've explained my reasons previously, but it just happens to be that game that just annoys the shit out of me. Ever meet someone and you just don't like them even though they haven't actually done or said anything to officially piss you off as a bullet point. You just don't like them. That's AP to me.
Wolfey
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Wolfey »

copstache wrote:i've been formulating a theory regarding that.

I guess so. I'd rather play a flawed fun game than a polished crappy game.

I honestly don't think that game was any more or less flawed than the first Mass Effect, which I also loved. Seems people don't like games where they can't kill everything from the get go. They're not exactly the same, but still, the issues were very similar. ME was a shooter with RPG stuffs, and AP was an RPG with shooter stuffs.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

For me AP was compelling due to the control the player had over the outcome of the story combined with some really fun dialogue sessions. As far as gameplay elements like shooting and stealth go it was pretty much busted. I played through AP twice and largely enjoyed myself but it's not something I recommend to other people.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

the shooting was fine once you realized there's no point in using anything but the pistol. then it was a non-issue
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I got pretty good at sniping with the assault rifle. Uzis and Shotguns were pretty lame.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

copstache wrote:the shooting was fine once you realized there's no point in using anything but the pistol. then it was a non-issue
Still a raw deal to basically only have one effective weapon class, something that may only become evident on subsequent playthrough. I remember the boss fight with the russian, I had to run around until he got hung up on the environment.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

dude don't fucking punish your cat because jrpgs suck. that is just bullshit.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i'm probably the only xcom fan that could possibly be saying this out loud for the first time but i'm starting to think that this new xcom game could be quite good. it looks like it might have some interesting and semi-original ideas in it and even though its not the kind of xcom game i want to play, as an fps fan, it looks like it has enough xcom and enough original fps in it to be a buy. :theylive:
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

fallbacktostone wrote:i'm probably the only xcom fan that could possibly be saying this out loud for the first time but i'm starting to think that this new xcom game could be quite good. it looks like it might have some interesting and semi-original ideas in it and even though its not the kind of xcom game i want to play, as an fps fan, it looks like it has enough xcom and enough original fps in it to be a buy. :theylive:

I think it looks interesting and I really like the art style. If it wasn't called X-Com it wouldn't be getting the hate it's getting.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

Sector 8 Prejudice is realllllllly fun! I like how the trophies can be gained by either online, against bots, or in the campaign. Nice loadout variations, game modes, and its cheap!
PSN- BroMan43
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

deus ex 3 went gold!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
that means it's actually coming out on time fyi
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

i have boner fyi
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Infamous 2 is beginning to feel like Red Dead Redemption. I also think I've now arrived in the part of town Riley said was really annoying. Floodtown? That it?

Also, this shit with the "tesla missiles"? Not a fan. I can sort of understand the reasoning from a story perspective that there needs to be some way Cole opens up new areas that requires him to use his powers, and wanting that to be tied into a game mechanic, but it just feels stupid and tacked on. At least it's quick and easy, I guess, but I seem to remember the first one having far better excuses for town districts being inaccessible.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Catherine is pretty good so far.