The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by The Schwartz »

Pisscubes wrote:After giving up I'm back to playing MG 4. I think I "get it" again now that I just played Metal Gear Solid for fun and remembered how you're supposed to play these games. Still undecided on the MG collection.

speaking of MGS 4

if anyone has a copy they might want to swap in a trade I'd surely be interested
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

Fung Tunt wrote:I ended up choosing Star Tropics...
not a bad choice.. I would have picked Faxanadu though.
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I would have gone with Strider or Mega Man. Star Tropics was pretty cool though.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Star Tropics would be my vote.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I have a bunch of NES games on the Wii, but on my large ass HDTV they all look like pixelated shit. What's the best NES emulator now a days? Is ZNES till the best SNES one?

I think I'll go with SIN as the next PC game to play along side Skyriim, and tonight is the night to continue my journey, as long as no shenanigans befall me.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

The Bill wrote:I have a bunch of NES games on the Wii, but on my large ass HDTV they all look like pixelated shit. What's the best NES emulator now a days? Is ZNES till the best SNES one?

I think I'll go with SIN as the next PC game to play along side Skyriim, and tonight is the night to continue my journey, as long as no shenanigans befall me.
ZSNES will always get my vote for SNES, can't top the features it has if you're playing with a usb pad. FCEUX for NES no maybe.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
frost
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Post by frost »

The Witcher 2 question, so how do I beat Letho in the first chapter, didnt even get the chance to drink some potions... :nopizza:
DEAD THREAD, LOCKED
-Admin'd
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

frost wrote:The Witcher 2 question, so how do I beat Letho in the first chapter, didnt even get the chance to drink some potions... :nopizza:
Use Quen at all times and/or use Aard to help take down his shield. Throw bombs, roll away constantly and get one to two sword slashes in here or there. Don't bother with multiple hit combos, stick and move.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
right over there
Hetero as hell...

Post by right over there »

just hit 90 hours on dragon quest ix :star:
monsterod wrote:can it get any hotter or nower?
The Real MPD wrote:i'm not interested in this right now.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:STOP SAYING "WAR ECONOMY"!!!!
I think I've played through this game three or four times now, and everytime I promise myself I'm just going to skip all the cutscenes. But there's something about it that makes you feel obligated to at least watch most of that shit. Are you at the Big Mama one aka The Great Exposition Massacre of 2008 yet? That's got to be the worst one. 10 or 15 minutes of just talking and talking over a slideshow of character sketches.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: I couldn't fucking BELIEVE how long the cut scene was after the Rage Vulture or whatever her name is boss fight. Seriously like 40 minutes.
Don't forget every one of those bossfights is also endcapped by 10 minutes of that annoying fuck telling you the same fucking backstory with different animals every time, accompanied by absolutely nothing happening on screen.

MGS4 was one of the first games I bought when I got my PS3 after roughly 10 years of no exposure to new videogames at all, so I had never played, say, HL2 and thought this was just how you told a story in a game. The more I play newer games, the more intolerable I find Kojima's approach to storytelling. I think the first time I realized how antiquated it really is was when I played Dead Space.

Of course that takes nothing away from the fact that on the rare occasion that MGS4 begrudgingly gives you control of Snake and actually lets you play it for a bit, it's fucking amazing.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
triple clutcher v2.5b
This drum machine utterly confounds me.

Post by triple clutcher v2.5b »

this morning, I found Train Simulator 2012 on sale for $3. Easily one of my better impulse purchases.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote:
Pisscubes wrote: I couldn't fucking BELIEVE how long the cut scene was after the Rage Vulture or whatever her name is boss fight. Seriously like 40 minutes.
Don't forget every one of those bossfights is also endcapped by 10 minutes of that annoying fuck telling you the same fucking backstory with different animals every time, accompanied by absolutely nothing happening on screen.

MGS4 was one of the first games I bought when I got my PS3 after roughly 10 years of no exposure to new videogames at all, so I had never played, say, HL2 and thought this was just how you told a story in a game. The more I play newer games, the more intolerable I find Kojima's approach to storytelling. I think the first time I realized how antiquated it really is was when I played Dead Space.

Of course that takes nothing away from the fact that on the rare occasion that MGS4 begrudgingly gives you control of Snake and actually lets you play it for a bit, it's fucking amazing.
Didn't you quit Dead Space after chapter 3 because it was "too repetitive" and then started your Dead Space bitching campaign? And now you are here telling us Dead Space has good storytelling?
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote: Didn't you quit Dead Space after chapter 3 because it was "too repetitive" and then started your Dead Space bitching campaign? And now you are here telling us Dead Space has good storytelling?
I quit Dead Space because of its repetitive gameplay, not because of the story or the way it's told.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

You mean you have to keep shooting and shooting and shooting ... and shooting? Then all games are repetitive but I am not going to have this discussion again.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

No, let's.
The Dark Priestess
One Of Many Accounts

Post by The Dark Priestess »

Fung Tunt wrote:NES Games

Castlevania 1/2/3
Ninja Gaiden 1/2/3
Double Dragon 1/2
Mega Man 2/3
Metal Gear/Snake's Revenge
SMB 1/2/3
Contra
Life Force
Stinger
Strider
P.O.W.
MLB
Tecmo Bowl
NES Play Action Football
Double Dribble
Blades Of Steel
World Cup Soccer
Super Spike V-Ball
Camerica 4 Quattro Sports 
TMNT 2
To The Earth
Dynowarz
Star Tropics
Dragon Warrior
Bad Dudes
Trog
Gyromite
Amagon
Galaxy 5000
Win Lose Or Draw
Rygar
Excitebike
Roadrunner
Jackal
Lunar Pool
River City Ransom
Skate Or Die
Abadox (box/book)
Faxanadu (box/book)

Can't decide what to play.someone pick for me...and don't pick Dragon Warrior because it went tits up on me the other day.bupkis...
You probably have to change the battery on DW. I just picked up a copy a couple days ago complete with the box (I'm anal like that about games, I like them complete) and all the original manuals and maps (It has extras because it was originally a Nintendo Power subscription special). I still have to hook up the NES to see if the game works. For that matter, I have to see if the NES still works (I have 2 I bought at garage sales years ago. Not top loaders. :( ). Back in the day, this was my 2nd favorite NES game after Crystalis. The store had a complete copy of Zoda's Revenge (Star Tropics II) too but it was more expensive so I passed but I've seen it sitting there for a long, long time so it'll probably still be there if I change my mind at later date... and if not, oh well.

So yeah, play suggestions: Star Tropics, Faxanadu, Castlevania (I'm the odd one out who liked Castlevania 2 better than 1 & 3).

I bought some other retro game stuff too. Flashback for Genesis at the game store & on eBay a SNES that came with a copy of Brainlord (Used to have it but never got around to playing it), and a couple old favorites, Populous and Gods, plus the Zelda Oracle games for GB Color and Minish Cap for GB Advance.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i watched a good portion of dead space 1 and was really blown away by the overall aesthetic and presentation for something that is such a completely ironed out genre, but the combat wasn't something that appealed to me in the slightest. i didn't think it was repetitive exactly but it just seemed too exhausting and strenuous when the game could been more about the environments, exploration and puzzles.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

fallbacktostone wrote:i watched a good portion of dead space 1 and was really blown away by the overall aesthetic and presentation for something that is such a completely ironed out genre, but the combat wasn't something that appealed to me in the slightest. i didn't think it was repetitive exactly but it just seemed too exhausting and strenuous when the game could been more about the environments, exploration and puzzles.
they're both good. play them
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

in all fairness, the first one did kind of repeat itself, even though it was good all the way through. the second one has a little more variety.

if you see them for less than $20 there's really no reason to not pick them up
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Best HUD design in any game ever and the level of gore is :moreawesome:. They do get repetitive by the end but they're still totally worth playing. I like the first one more because it really came out of nowhere. The second one was great too except for..
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
the stupid girlfriend flashbacks. :pizza:
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Pisscubes wrote:Is Dead Island worth $25?
I got it for the Warden for christmas (cue Marge Simpson's Bowling Ball gift youtube clip); I'll chime in with my opinion once she takes a break from watching reality TV and breaks that fucking packaging seal that kept me from playing it for the past few weeks...
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Pisscubes wrote:Is Dead Island worth $25?
Yes. Only for the simple fact that it has the melee system Bethesda should have implemented in Skyrim. If you don't mind Euro jank in your game (terrible voice acting, rough edges here and there, etc.) then don't bother. It's not Saints Row styled "here's a huge map go fuck around" open world but three (possibly four?) hub areas that are quite large and will take you time to traverse. Great atmosphere to boot and once I started feeling overpowered, I made it to the next area and felt that tension of possibly getting overwhelmed at any time. I've played it around 13 hours or so and just got to the second area. I imagine co-op with a buddy or four would be excellent but I'm a lone wolf.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

if you can play co-op with friends it's totally worth $25. it gets a little dull otherwise
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:Went drinking with a friend yesterday from noon until 7 and then got home and tried to play dead island (I got that and resistance 3).

I don't really remember what I thought of it :-|

Except... WHO DO YOU VOODOO, BITCH!!!
Dead Island became tedious to me, and it didn't take long for that to happen. I don't know. I'm just so sick of zombies now and I felt the game got too damn boring and repetitive too fast. I also didn't care for some design choices. Not my cup of tea, but I'll say it was a good attempt by the developers.

So, Friday night I didn't spend any time with my wife so that I could try to get married in Skyriim :drool: