The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Wang Mandu »

If they would have cut or at least edited the hell out of 90% of those cutscenes (and I say this fully aware I'm not the person those cutscenes are aimed at) or at least did something more exciting than watching what amounts to a 40 minute Powerpoint presentation, I'd say it would be in the top 20 games released this console generation. The stealth rules, the weapon customization is really great and everything still looks incredible.

Is Metal Gear Rising or Vengeance Rising ever going to get released? That's the Rayden I want to play...cyborg ninja with a katana.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

My first PS3 games were Fallout 3 and MGS4, it was like shooting heroine, since then I've played cool games but I am in a constant search for that first time feelings.

Fuck, I made a really gay post, my only excuse is that I am almost drunk.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I need a videogame that is more me
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

How is that like shooting a courageous woman?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote:My first PS3 games were Fallout 3 and MGS4, it was like shooting heroine, since then I've played cool games but I am in a constant search for that first time feelings.

Fuck, I made a really gay post, my only excuse is that I am almost drunk.
Starting early, eh?

My first PS3 game was Mirror's Edge. The problem with that is, even Mirror's Edge itself doesn't give me that "I just traveled 10 years into the future and shit is awesome" feeling anymore because with hindsight it's, uh, kind of flawed. I still get that warm buzz from the whole aesthetic of it, but once I'm a few levels in and having to do poorly designed platforming puzzles in boring looking sewers... yeah.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: Anyone else totally ok with the current generation?
Totally, but I was late to this console generation, so I guess I don't count. The thing to me is, though, that it seems like they're still finding ways to squeeze more out of them, so there's really no need for new hardware. Compare Crysis 2 to a PS3 or 360 game from a year before it, for example.

The big thing for me personally is that if they come out soon, they better be backwards compatible so I can get rid of the old ones and not have to clog my living room with four different consoles.

Honestly, though, I don't know that I really buy it. The new Nintendo console's coming out this year, so whatever Sony/MS do, Nintendo will have beaten them to the punch anyway. Sony's hips deep into their failing Vita launch, so that'll probably keep them busy for a while, and as long as they're not coming out with a new console, Microsoft doesn't have any reason to either.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

New consoles are badly needed. The hardware, especially that in the 360, is ancient. I want higher quality PC ports! Give me actual hd textures.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Mass Effect 3 articles are starting to emerge and of course, ridiculous all over the place pre-order "bonuses." Steam release? Not likely, :tdown: :( . Origin required for *gasp* multiplayer....gross. I know I'm going to cave and buy this day 1 but that footage of a fucking child* in the game reeked of total hack writing.

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Apparently, Shepard finds a kid in a duct during a Reaper invasion, Shepard tries to get the kid to come out but he runs away. Later on, Shepard sees the kid boarding an escape vehicle only for that same vehicle to get obliterated by a Reaper. Cue Shepard getting pissed. :wank: That's some retard level writing.
Last edited by Wang Mandu on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Into Pieces
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Broken Into Pieces »

spacehamster wrote:
Totally, but I was late to this console generation, so I guess I don't count. The thing to me is, though, that it seems like they're still finding ways to squeeze more out of them, so there's really no need for new hardware. Compare Crysis 2 to a PS3 or 360 game from a year before it, for example.

The big thing for me personally is that if they come out soon, they better be backwards compatible so I can get rid of the old ones and not have to clog my living room with four different consoles.

Honestly, though, I don't know that I really buy it. The new Nintendo console's coming out this year, so whatever Sony/MS do, Nintendo will have beaten them to the punch anyway. Sony's hips deep into their failing Vita launch, so that'll probably keep them busy for a while, and as long as they're not coming out with a new console, Microsoft doesn't have any reason to either.
yeah, this... all of it
Image Image
Xbox 360: Pabo Byungshin
¡Viva los Rudos!
oskorei noise industries
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Smart phones are killing it. Why spend $300+ on another piece of hardware and whatever they're charging for games when you can get loads and loads of dollar and even free games on your phone.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote:
Totally, but I was late to this console generation
I assume you never played games on PC.
Wang Mandu wrote:New consoles are badly needed. The hardware, especially that in the 360, is ancient. I want higher quality PC ports! Give me actual hd textures.
Finally some sanity.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:Smart phones are killing it. Why spend $300+ on another piece of hardware and whatever they're charging for games when you can get loads and loads of dollar and even free games on your phone.
This is true, but the Sony marketing department is also right in the middle of another iteration in their series of public performance art pieces entitled "The Sony Fail-Valanche: Please Don't Buy Our Shit". It's really kind of fascinating. Apparently the 3DS is doing okay now that there's Mario and Zelda games for it, so it can't all be the smartphones' fault.

Personally, I'm not getting a Vita anytime soon because I was an early PSP Go adopter, and look what happened. I actually still like the idea of portable game consoles, but not if I'm going to get shafted again.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:However, on the other hand, I can't imagine playing games on a cell phone is the same at all as it would be with the proper buttons of a controller and a list of AAA-spin off titles. Shrug.
Well... I don't disagree, and this is basically why I just said I actually still prefer a proper portable game console to playing on a cellphone, but I think some developers just completely forget that these games are going to be played in maybe ten minute bursts sitting on a train or a bus somewhere. MGS Peacewalker is a great game, but it's way, way, way too involved for a portable. When in the hell am I supposed to have time to do one of these bossfights? Initially I actually started doing the bossfights at home and then just played the regular levels (which are actually broken down into very short segments, probably because of technical constraints, but it works) on the way to and from work, but that became a chore faster than you can say "war economy", so I quit playing it altogether. Portable games do need to be different from home console games, and unless the developers wrap their brains around this fact, the whole market's going to die.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I hear you. On the other hand, I can't imagine playing those spin off titles on such a tiny screen either. Do I really need another Uncharted game? Nah, I'm fine with the two I already played.
Krieg wrote:Finally some sanity.
Seriously. I love a lot of the games I've played on the 360 and PS3 but the amount of screen tearing, less than 30 fps framerates, framerate dips and spikes, and long loading times are something I can't really deal with anymore.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Seriously. I love a lot of the games I've played on the 360 and PS3 but the amount of screen tearing, less than 30 fps framerates, framerate dips and spikes, and long loading times are something I can't really deal with anymore.
I play more in console (PS3 & X360) than on PC because I can play console games from my bed, but when I play a game on PC it is really hard to go back to console. And on PC I am limited to 1080p because of my monitor, but it is a hell of a difference. And consoles are handicapping PC games, everyone loses.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... uls-on-pc/

Never going to happen but if there's any console exclusive that would be absolutely perfect for the PC crowd, it's this.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... uls-on-pc/

Never going to happen but if there's any console exclusive that would be absolutely perfect for the PC crowd, it's this.
Obviously Namco must be buying all the copies of the games themselves because everyone knows console gamers don't play challenging, complex games, so clearly there are shenanigans afoot here.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Krieg wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:
I play more in console (PS3 & X360) than on PC because I can play console games from my bed, but when I play a game on PC it is really hard to go back to console. And on PC I am limited to 1080p because of my monitor, but it is a hell of a difference. And consoles are handicapping PC games, everyone loses.
I don't think console gamers fully understand (or care) the effect that that the current generation of consoles is having on PC gamers. The amount of gimp that is forced upon a PC gamer is a travesty. Current techology is so far beyond what the XBOX and PS3 can produce, and will probably be better than whatever the next generation of consoles offers. You can buy a new PC with all the bells and whistles, but you're only using 25% of it's power. You can tell developers are at least trying to appease PC gamers with the PC ports, but if they take it too far, console gamers won't be happy with what they're stuck with.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

PC hardware can perform significantly better than consoles, but AAA console games are already prohibitively expensive to make for a lot of companies if they can't guarantee a few million in sales. brand new technology would only make that worse.

personally i'd be satisfied, like wang said, with new consoles that can do stuff as simple as HD textures, but i don't think the console developers are in a hurry to invest tens (probably hundreds) of millions of dollars to put out a new console for that purpose... and again, if they choose to seriously upgrade the consoles, then the cost of development spikes and turns off a lot of developers anyway.

plus sales of the current generation of consoles haven't slowed down much, if at all, and the gap between production costs and revenue has finally narrowed, so what's the incentive to make a new one? but 2011 was one of the best years for games in recent memory anyway, so i'm fine with really polished current-generation games.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Cryptoplasty wrote:You can buy a new PC with all the bells and whistles, but you're only using 25% of it's power.
yeah, but the existence of high-end PC hardware has almost nothing to do with the development costs of games that run on that hardware.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Spooky Apparition wrote: but 2011 was one of the best years for games in recent memory anyway, so i'm fine with really polished current-generation games.
This right here.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... uls-on-pc/

Obviously Namco must be buying all the copies of the games themselves because everyone knows console gamers don't play challenging, complex games, so clearly there are shenanigans afoot here.
Huh?
Spooky Apparition wrote: but 2011 was one of the best years for games in recent memory anyway, so i'm fine with really polished current-generation games.
Agreed on 2011 being great but really polished? I can't think of many games that were really polished this year outside of Dead Space 2 and Arkham City.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Wang Mandu wrote:
Agreed on 2011 being great but really polished? I can't think of many games that were really polished this year outside of Dead Space 2 and Arkham City.
i didn't mean all the great games in 2011 were necessarily polished, but that i'd take polished current-generation games in general over what is usually a clunky transition to a new generation (which also usually slows the development cycle).

also, arkham city is really polished until it fucking erases your save file for no reason. never forget :|
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote:i didn't mean all the great games in 2011 were necessarily polished, but that i'd take polished current-generation games in general over what is usually a clunky transition to a new generation (which also usually slows the development cycle).

also, arkham city is really polished until it fucking erases your save file for no reason. never forget :|

Good point. If anything, studios need to put more time into their games, like Bethesda and their PS3 releases. That'll only drive up costs, too.

:what: about disappearing game saves. That happens on the console version, too? Crazy. Luckily, AC on PC has cloud saving with Steam and I won't get dicked over like I did with Arkham Asylum.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Pisscubes wrote:Did they ever fix that? I kinda want to beat that game again.
i don't think so, but manually backing up your file to a USB drive (copying it, not moving it) would be a safe bet. i didn't realize the same thing happened on the PC. i really think they just don't know why it happens and probably won't ever fix it. bastards