The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Wang Mandu »

I think the worst thing about all the Resident Evil games is people actually caring about the garbage plots. They've almost gone full-on camp (that fruitcake on the boat in RE5 was hilarious) and I'd love it if they did.

RE superfans are the worst and people (not you lovely gentlemen) arguing for the return of static camera angles and even more tank-like controls is insane, "But the shitty controls and terrible viewpoints made it more difficult and challenging."

:what:

Moving and shooting? If that's for real, I'm there day 1 for sure.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Dear RE6,

Controls? See Dead Space!

Yours Truly,
Common Sense

But yeah, unless some hands on previews tell me the controls are still in the stone age, sign me up for a Pre-order.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

The Bill wrote:Dear RE6,

Yours Truly,
Common Sense
:tup: :tup: :tup:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
shut your mouth slinky
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

can't speak
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Post by abdominalpillaging »

finally replaced my ps3 after the last one bit the dust. forgot my fucking password for my psn account and can't get sony to let me set it over the phone because apparently one of my security questions is "where was your honeymoon". so goodbye numerous hundreds of dollars i've spent on shit on there. oh well, fuck it.

so....i picked up uncharted 3 a few days ago and am slowly playing through it. so far it's nothing spectacular. might not even be as good as part 2 thus far. i think i'm on chapter 10 or so, and it just doesn't have enough actual gameplay. most of the set pieces look awesome, and are fun to see how everything is scripted, i wouldn't ever want to play any of it again. it basically plays itself outside the shooting segments, which aren't anything special.

eh, i don't know. i really haven't been playing anything lately other than 3ds games. i bought a 3d tv, but had buyers remorse and took it back. it was complete fucking overkill to have in my bedroom. uncharted definitely looked killer in 3d though.

anyone else pick up a 3ds yet? last time i was on here i think jake was the only person who had one. speaking of, i had to replace my 3ds as well so i've got a new console code, or whatever it's called.
i like to dissect women
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

I started The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) last night. I had to go through several storage boxes to finally find my PSP (unused for more than 1 year). So far it is very good, graphics are pretty and it is fun.

I actually never understood the lack of horror/survival games for the PSP, it is perfect for it because many people play games on the bed before sleeping.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Friday is always exciting, because unlike most of you un-married/kidless people it's not a date night, or a bar night, it's video game night. I think I'll do what I did two weeks ago or so, play another level of SIN, play that Asura's Wrath demo, then most likely make it an all night Skyriim fest. It's getting to the point where I need to plan my course of action with Skyrimm in advance or else I end up wandering all over the place, which is cool and all, but tends to eat up too much of my limited time. I think I'll tackle the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild. Which gives better loot?
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

You get a really good bow after finishing a questline that starts while in the thieves guild. The Dark Brotherhood gives you a better suit of light armor though.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Friendly Goatus wrote:You get a really good bow after finishing a questline that starts while in the thieves guild. The Dark Brotherhood gives you a better suit of light armor though.
Oh :(

I almost never use the bow, and I'm a full on heavy armor dude.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

You should try and start the Boethiah's Calling quest then. You get excellent heavy armor from it and it's both short and fun.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

For ME3, the new monke...squadmate:

is voiced by:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:For ME3, the new monke...squadmate:

is voiced by:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You know, he works for the WWE now a days. He was also good enough to take Buffy off my hands when she started to look too much like a bird. I have nothing against him.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I don't know man. Keith David, Lance Henriksen, Martin Sheen....Freddie "Scoobie Doo" Prinze Jr. :confused: I've hated Seth Green and Joker in the both games so I guess another shitty voice actor is just Bioware balancing things again.

I wish studios would stop hiring Hollywood talent and stick to unknowns for voice acting.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote: I wish studios would stop hiring Hollywood talent and stick to unknowns for voice acting.
+1

I'm sure it helps sell games, but to me it's just something that probably costs a lot of money that could be spent on improving tech, and I have a hard time thinking of an example where some big Hollywood name actually improved the game. If anything, it's led me to believe that voice acting, especially for videogames, is a fairly different beast than on camera acting and just because Martin Sheen was in Apocalypse Now doesn't mean he should be in Mass Effect. Plus I just can't help seeing him in my head everytime the Illusive Man talks.

Seth Green as Joker works for me, but I attribute that to the fact that he actually does a lot of voice acting. Same with MacDowell in God of War and Killzone, although I still think the skinny black dude who voices Kratos does a better job than him or pretty much anyone else in the GoW games.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

Friendly Goatus wrote:You should try and start the Boethiah's Calling quest then. You get excellent heavy armor from it and it's both short and fun.
yeah do a bunch of daedric quests, usually great unique loot. and if you want to smash a questline rather than get tangled up forever, do the DB. but the Thieves Guild line is probably more interesting.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote: I wish studios would stop hiring Hollywood talent and stick to unknowns for voice acting.
+1
In some cases it works, like Claudia Black in Uncharted 2&3:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman:
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote: In some cases it works, like Claudia Black in Uncharted 2&3:
Oh, definitely. She's also great in DA:O and ME2. But she's built an entire separate career in voice acting, so I really think she's legit and not some big Hollywood name (not to mention, really, who has heard of her? The five people who watched Farscape?) brought in to boost sales.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

spacehamster wrote:(not to mention, really, who has heard of her? The five people who watched Farscape?) brought in to boost sales.
stargate!

on an unrelated note FUCK the end of la noire. holy shit, late to the party but what a goddamn awful ending
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wehttam
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Wehttam »

copstache wrote:
spacehamster wrote:(not to mention, really, who has heard of her? The five people who watched Farscape?) brought in to boost sales.
stargate!

on an unrelated note FUCK the end of la noire. holy shit, late to the party but what a goddamn awful ending
yep.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

the ending was abrupt, but it makes sense. a noir story can only end in a few ways anyway, so it shouldn't be shocking. at least no one just fell off some sort of structure like in half of hitchcock's movies. i disliked the part when
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
cole actually dies
but i liked
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
the funeral
and the little bit after the credits.

fucking freddie prinze jr. in mass effect 3... he's going to spend a lot of time sitting around on the ship being ignored and doing nothing. so basically like what i imagine his real life is except on a ship in space.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i don't think it's a huge spoiler to say there's something after the UNSKIPPABLE credits, and yeah that was okay. but
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
it's bullshit to kill a player character, ESPECIALLY in a non-interactive manner. it's like, okay, you spent 30 hours being this guy and choosing how to handle his life (for the most part) but we've decided to just kill him in a 10 second cutscene that you have no say in. if Snake had died in the radiation tunnel, you would have at least been fighting for your life. if the characters in heavy rain died, it was because you failed to keep them alive.

killing him seemed so forced. the funeral seems like something they just slapped together. you spend 30 hours building up a complex story with a bunch of characters and plot elements and most of it is just left unresolved and your dude drowns. uh. ok.
all i'm saying is there better be a sequel and it better address some of the storylines that they never finished because the last mission and ending couldn't have felt more rushed and half-baked
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i agree with you that when it actually happened it was tough not to be like, "what the fuck? that's it?" and i definitely think it shows some signs that they had to rush the end of development... there's something that's not right.

BUT, reflecting on the game as a whole and how you never really know cole (which i thought was a cool choice for a game to intentionally keep your playable character hidden from you, the player) except from what you see in flashbacks about how he caused the deaths of others, i like the fact he basically sacrifices himself in the end. then in the funeral scene you see how his own motivations are twisted by people who he really didn't give a shit about and even helped bring about his death. that was very noir-ish to me.

so i agree it was a sloppily-constructed ending, but i liked what it meant for the unity of the overall story, which is something i can't say for most games. i do think the whole perspective shift in the last quarter of the game was weird though... i guess it forced even more distance between the player and who had been the main character, but it was still weird.
i just hope some games take elements of la noire and refine them more. i don't think it lived up to the hype and some individual cases were awkward and tedious in how they were investigated and resolved, but for a lot of the game the story was really good and the new technology actually did add to the experience.
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

riley-o wrote:
The Bill wrote:Dear RE6,

Yours Truly,
Common Sense
:tup: :tup: :tup:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
shut your mouth slinky
Another set of :tup: :tup: :tup: also anymore news on Dead Space 3? So what games have you guys bought from the sale Sony is running?
PSN- BroMan43
Hypnagogia
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Hypnagogia »

When you accept that LA Noire is more about being a part of an interactive movie than immersion into a video game, the ending works.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The transition from playing as Cole to playing as Kelso was a bit awkward, and certainly breaks the immersion, but you play as him long enough that Cole just becomes another character in the story
Was definitely put off by the ending at first, but it fits the "Noire" genre, and it was constructed in such a way that you knew the end was coming anyway, just caught off guard by how it ended.
Last edited by Hypnagogia on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Mallard's a workin