The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Wang Mandu »

james wrote:Those comments in particular are weird because the main criticism of Japanese games from Westerners for the last 8 years or so is that they're becoming increasingly linear and requiring less and less input from the player :?
Wait what? What moron is calling out Japanese games for being too linear and.taking away player input? I thought Japanese games typically value gameplay over everything else....unlike the godawful cinematic visceral emotionally engaging trend in Western games.

And those nerds should have been mad when Demon's Souls became a cult hit and Westerner gamers essentiallyforced someone.to publish it in the West. Fucking.dorks.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

So is Blood Dragon the Family Guy of video games or what?
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

to you it probably is
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

Pisscubes wrote:Of all the stupid shit people are nationalistic about, Video Game proficency might be the lamest. :lol:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

james wrote:portable auschwitz
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Wang Mandu wrote:Wait what? What moron is calling out Japanese games for being too linear and.taking away player input? I thought Japanese games typically value gameplay over everything else....unlike the godawful cinematic visceral emotionally engaging trend in Western games.

And those nerds should have been mad when Demon's Souls became a cult hit and Westerner gamers essentiallyforced someone.to publish it in the West. Fucking.dorks.
I think it's mostly a criticism of the RPG genre that's spilled over into other things. Comparing Final Fantasy 13 to the older games, the modern Zelda fare to the original, stuff like that.

I personally figure it's a uselessly broad assertion that if at all applicable is probably true of modern material from all over the globe, not just Japan.

Great article on some of the talking points here -

http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-ga ... aking-west
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

FAMITSUUU
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:Of all the stupid shit people are nationalistic about, Video Game proficency might be the lamest. :lol:
That was probably the weirdest thing about getting back into gaming for me. I was a console gamer in the late 80s and with no internet, I lived in relative isolation and just took it for granted that Japan was king when it came to games. Almost all my favorite stuff was from there, from the side scrolling shoot 'em ups to Phantasy Star, Street Fighter and eventually Metal Gear Solid. Then I come back in 2009, and suddenly only homosexuals are allowed to like Japan because apparently something went horribly wrong with the Final Fantasy series at some point or something, and this Sam Fisher guy is totally cooler than Solid Snake. Fucking internet.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

spacehamster wrote:Fucking internet.
Hahaha that's really all it is... I never hear anybody talk about this shit in real life.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Snake does have a mullet. I am having a hard time choosing which is the worse game, MGS4 and SC: Conviction....

Thanks for the link, james. I know next to nothing about jrpgs so should be a good read.
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

guardianoftheblind wrote:whoa...

caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

my brother bought me a copy of Dark Souls for my birthday
I'm not even thinking about it until I finish Lord of the Rings... maybe then I'll relent and give my life over to the game.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

I just started my ninth playthrough on Dark Souls today which I'm going to include with the DLC because basically fuck any other games
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Good call Schwartz - I gotta get back into that and beat that frickin leaping knight motherfucker.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The Schwartz wrote:I just started my ninth playthrough on Dark Souls today which I'm going to include with the DLC because basically fuck any other games
You are an inspiration. If I have time this weekend, I will get back into it. 65 hours already in the game and I don't think I'm even close to finishing it.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

The Schwartz wrote:I just started my ninth playthrough on Dark Souls today which I'm going to include with the DLC because basically fuck any other games
:tup: :tup: i'd rather fuck around in dark souls while listening to music than basically anything else in the world as of late
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Made it to the upside-down castle in SOTN. It's rather disconcerting how my brain freaks out a bit that everything is upside-down. I don't know, maybe because I was in the regular castle for a good marathon of hours these past few days, but I find everything flipped to be odd, like I'm wearing my left shoe on my right foot. Regardless, love the game but I have two nit-picking issues with it. One (1) I've never hunted and explored so much to gain so little. I bought a sword and armor that I was more powerful than anything else I found until the very end of the first castle here. The sword I've replaced with something not all that much better and the armor is on pair with the last new armor I found. Two (2) unless they are part of the end of the game, where are Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears? :ax: . Listen, love the music but this is like a Bond film without the Bond Theme.

Friday, I think I'll put SOTN away for a day get my BLOOD DRAGON on.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Loads of GTA V previews out now. Upgradeable heist crews? :mastoman:
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

Wang Mandu wrote:Loads of GTA V previews out now. Upgradeable heist crews? :mastoman:
:drooly:
IGN wrote:Not only can you can swim, but you can don SCUBA gear and go underwater and explore, too.
:drooly: :drooly:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I've always felt that their was a special kind of genius in the GTA games that were unfortunately covered in the kind of shit I can not stand. With each one I feel they get a step closer to breaking down the door into the world of The Bill. That biker DLC from IV came pretty close. So, while I said I swore off Rockstar, Max Payne and the trailers to this one is giving GTA one more chance at bat.

One

More

Chance
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

storm shadow wrote: :drooly: :drooly:
Shooting is straight.from Max Payne 3 :drooly:

Huge list of info.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You can buy property; houses, garages and businesses can all be purchased for extra revenue sources.
You can customise yourself with haircuts, new clothes, and tattoos
Each character is rated in a series of skill categories: Stamina, Shooting, Strength, Stealth, Flying, Driving, Mechanic, Lung Capacity.
Each character has a 'Special': Franklin is an adrenalin junkie and can slow down time while driving; Trevor has a frenzy mode, where he does double damage, takes half damage, and has a unique melee attack; Michael has his own version of bullet time
Specials are governed by a meter, it drains after use and recharges slowly
Other skill categories are shared and can be improved by completing missions, side missions, activities and more
Trevor will always be the best pilot, Franklin will always be the best driver but each can improve their proficiency a little
One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions
Pay N Sprays can also mod cars with paint jobs, new wheels, window tints, grilles, spoilers. Upgrades to suspension, engine and brakes can also be made.
Weapons can also be customised with laser sights, scopes, silencers, and high capacity magazines
You can pick up hitchikers, do stunt jumps and flying challenges, take part in yoga, golf, tennis or bike races.
Some boats will include gear such as wetsuit, flippers and tanks for diving
An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"
Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too
GTAV rewards exploration, there's no signposting underwater, so you'll have to find the treasure the hard way
Dives won't offer massive payoffs, but will "help grease the wheels"
The character selection wheel is split into four triangles: Franklin, Trevor, Michael, and your multiplayer character
It seems there's a closer relationship between single and multiplayer. Simply pressing Down on the d-pad will drop the play in and out of MP.
Rockstar has said it will reveal more on multiplayer in the future
There are subtle differences in the way each character moves to reflect their personalities; Michael is slower and deliberate.
Rockstar says there will be five times as many pedestrians in GTA V as there were in Grand Theft Auto IV
There's a "crazy level of detail": Tourist buses can be boarded for a tour of celebrity homes, film posters are plastered on the walls, men in comedy costumes try to corner you outside the Cathay Theatre, including the Superman-like Impotent Rage and Master Chief riff, Space Ranger.
iFruit, the game's new phone, can be used to snap pictures and upload them to Rockstar's Social Club
The phone also has apps. In addition to the camera there is internet, contacts, social media, a calendar, and a replay missions app. There are three more Rockstar hasn't yet revealed.
Michael's obsession with classic films translates into in-game set pieces based on real world movies. In the demo the three characters mount a heist very similar to the one from Heat.
'Mini heists' are used to teach the player about preparation. Players must secure vehicles, outfits, masks, the getaway vehicle.
These build up to a bigger heist where the execution must be flawless. They'll require the right crew and players will have to decide on the cheap option, which results in less skilled people, or paying more for skilled crew members that will take a larger cut.
You can switch between Franklin, Trevor and Michael during a cutscene, manually, or automatically when the AI takes control for you
Each character has a job to do, how much you switch yourself in or let the computer do, is entirely up to you
If you die the game reloads to the last checkpoint, even if two other characters are alive
Although it's up to the player when they switch, dialogue will suggest ideal moments. For example, when Michael and Franklin are being overwhelmed by snipers, Michael might ask for Trevor's help.
A combat roll has been introduced for moving between cover
There is a wider field of vision, and players can run-and-gun
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

james wrote:
spacehamster wrote:Fucking internet.
Hahaha that's really all it is... I never hear anybody talk about this shit in real life.
I actually know somebody IRL who's really not very geeky and only has sort of a passing, semi-nostalgic interest in things like games and comics, but he furiously hates Japan and refuses to play any Japanese games solely based on the fact that they're Japanese.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

Wang Mandu wrote:Huge list of info.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
An underwater ecosystem exits, "the sea is teaming with fish and sharks"
Treasures can be found underwater, but NPCs will be looking for them too
:invcross: :drooly: :drooly: :drooly: :invcross:

Now I want Rockstar to just make GTA at sea with diving, sunken galleons, and gunfights with Somali pirates. So basically open world Uncharted. With Jimmy Buffett on the soundtrack in your boat (which you can name yourself of course) 8)
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
One of the skill categories is stealth, suggesting players will be able to take different approaches to missions
Kotaku wrote:They make the police encounters sound better, too. In this new game, we can still try to escape the circular zone that flashes on the mini-map when cops come after our malcontent protagonist(s). But, this time, we'll be able to try to hide inside that alarm radius, if we'd like. The cops will use a line-of-sight system, so they won't just magically know where you are. If they have a helicopter in the sky, they'll be able to see plenty. And you'll see them use hand signals to communicate what they're doing.
http://kotaku.com/ive-seen-grand-theft- ... -487200782
Super into this too. :tup:

I've finished and enjoyed nearly all the GTA games since 3, but I find that the missions tend to fall into three categories: really amazing, more of the same, and aggravating gauntlets/bottlenecks. The fact that they're basing this game around one of the best missions gives me a lot of confidence. My one overall wish for this game is that there's NO mandatory racing missions, because they always suck dicks. :evil:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

storm shadow wrote:My one overall wish for this game is that there's NO mandatory racing missions, because they always suck dicks. :evil:
Donkey Kong unshaven herpes dick, at that. This is exactly 1/2 of the shit that covers these games that I'm talking about. One reason why I thought Saint's Row was the best. No fucking mandatory races.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
:tup: :tup: i'd rather fuck around in dark souls while listening to music than basically anything else in the world as of late

its the greatest thing. I've spent over 200 hours doing so. The gameplay is so deep and rewarding in customization and progression that they story is completely unnecessary after the first playthrough. Anytime I decide to listen to music I throw DS on but that always just ends up being me balls deep into an 8 hour session of Dark Souls while music happens to be playing in the background

still best nonsports game to listen to music to without a doubt
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

The Bill wrote:
storm shadow wrote:My one overall wish for this game is that there's NO mandatory racing missions, because they always suck dicks. :evil:
Donkey Kong unshaven herpes dick, at that. This is exactly 1/2 of the shit that covers these games that I'm talking about. One reason why I thought Saint's Row was the best. No fucking mandatory races.
Amen brother. I really really loved Saint's Row 2, which I felt like was what GTAIV should've been in a lot of ways. You just never ran out of stuff to do, as opposed to GTAIV where you could either do a lame mission or go bowling with your irritating pals. I was a little disappointed with the third one, not so much because they upped the silliness a lot but because they cut out a lot of the activities from 2.

I could seriously play a whole game based around the Insurance Fraud minigame.