The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Yes to all of that, but there's one huge difference regarding the battle system. No random encounters. All enemies are visible outside of combat, aside from a few ambushes, and most can be avoided if you're quick enough. But the combat is so fun you might not want to unless you're in a hurry. The combat is like early FF's in that it has the same active time battle system that was in the SNES FF's, but the characters and enemies are more scattered around the battle field rather than lined up on each side. This adds an element of tactical gameplay, where you have to think about how to use certain spells and specials moves in relation to where the enemies are placed for maximum damage. So good.
frost
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Post by frost »

guardianoftheblind wrote:Image
hahaha
DEAD THREAD, LOCKED
-Admin'd
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Pisscubes wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:Chrono Trigger for my 3ds is waiting for me at home right now. Never really played it.

what shall I expect?
One of the best RPG's ever made and one of my favorite games ever. Don't mean to over inflate your expectations though, if you're not into snes rpgs it may be a trial to get into. Then again, maybe not.
Turned based combat? Decent amount of weapons/gear? Is it a lot like early FF?
It's really not much like FF 1-5 at all. I mean it's the same genre and of the era, but the mechanics and design are quite distinct. It uses a form of 'Active Time Battle' similar to FF4 and FF5 so it is turn-based but not in the same sense as checkers or chess. Physical attacks are exactly what you would expect, but magic winds up being dependent on who you choose to have in your party - special moves are synergistic, so mixing and matching cast members gives you a different cocktail of options. Like if David Bowie and Queen were in your party they could use 'Under Pressure', but that option would vanish if you pair Bowie up with Brian Eno and you'd wind up learning 'Low'. None of these pairings vanish and all of them are obtainable - it is an absolute joy.

What you do in the game determines the outcome of many scripted events and which ending you will eventually wind up with. This is wonderful though, and isn't at all like the goofy morality systems you see in the games of the past decade - CT was one of the first games with full replayability in mind, and I don't think the concept has ever been implemented quite as well. The story and resultant play-architecture are very much centered around the idea of time travel; your experience as a player reflects this, and the grand experience is really visiting and revisiting the various areas (all actually different eras of the same continent) through new eyes and with more powerful characters.

I don't think anything has ever nailed RPG game design as well as CT did. The music, characters, story, everything.

In terms of gear, combat, levelling, etc - it's one of those rare titles that gives you exactly what you need as the story progresses without ever actually seeming linear. There are some superweapons and cool hidden shit that you may miss if you don't want to go a bit aspie, but those are always available on replays and skipping them won't hinder your progression at all.

The DS version which I assume you have is generally regarded as the best port. It has options that make things easier and more interesting for modern players and a bit of added content.

For what it's worth - I never really played the game until the DS port in 2008, so none of this is spewing from a nostalgia-infected old man mouth. I know it's not a home run for absolutely everybody, but I strenuously advise you to give it at least 6 hours.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

Comrade Slinky wrote:Traded in Killzone, was hoping local retailer had Bravely Default but no dice. Might trade in battlefield 4 and get a vita? Does that handheld have a future?
the vita is worth it aline for Persona 4 Golden (i'm a noob but i know i can say that). i got one the other day with a 32 GB card (which was way too expensive :ax:) and I have P4G, uncharted: golden abyss, soul sacrifice, wipeout 2048 or whatever it's called, spelunky, rayman legends, oddworld strangers wrath, hotline miami, gravity rush, and a few others. i only paid for p4g, rayman, and spelunky. everything else was free with PS+/ i say it's totally worth it. plus i think the binding of isaac is coming out for it something as well.

now i really want either a 3DS or a wii u for xmas. i always get a ton of gift cards
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

fallout 4: racist white asshole edition

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reve ... Socialflow
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

guardianoftheblind wrote:the vita is worth it aline for Persona 4 Golden (i'm a noob but i know i can say that). i got one the other day with a 32 GB card (which was way too expensive :ax:)
yeah, the cards are insanely expensive at full price and probably a big contributor to slow sales. if you get a vita, be on the lookout for sales on them. gamestop had 32GB cards for $40 for a day last week and i got two and sold one for $65 8)

also, tearaway will be $20 at gamestop next week
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

Gravity Rush is a great game too. Vita is awesome
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
kickpuncher
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by kickpuncher »

how are those Pac-Man World games?
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

DR. THRAXX wrote:Gravity Rush is a great game too. Vita is awesome
Definitely! Played that one thru to the end. Some of the later boss fights are epic and some of the levels get fucking weird.

Get going on Soul Sacrifice! I want to do those Avalon missions but I want to wait until I have some people to play with.
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
guardianoftheblind wrote:the vita is worth it aline for Persona 4 Golden (i'm a noob but i know i can say that). i got one the other day with a 32 GB card (which was way too expensive :ax:)
yeah, the cards are insanely expensive at full price and probably a big contributor to slow sales. if you get a vita, be on the lookout for sales on them. gamestop had 32GB cards for $40 for a day last week and i got two and sold one for $65 8)

also, tearaway will be $20 at gamestop next week
I only bought a 4 gig so I can usually only have 2 or 3 games on it at once.
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

I literally just finished the first quest on Soul Sacrifice
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

DR. THRAXX wrote:I literally just finished the first quest on Soul Sacrifice
yesssssssss! I've got my guy (err, girl) to level 20 sacrifice level 11 defense. It caps at 100 combined, apparently.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

guardianoftheblind wrote:fallout 4: racist white asshole edition

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reve ... Socialflow
:mastoman: :cry: :D :tup:

i hope you're like some low level expendable data entry type dude in The Insititute and spend a couple hours in its pristine halls before getting booted out into the unforgiving wastes..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

It begins!

FO4 details sound pretty cool. Please dont be cross gen oh please.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Wang Mandu wrote:FO4 details sound pretty cool. Please dont be cross gen oh please.
You mean /w 360 and PS3...? There's no way bro. Fuckin things could barely handle Skyrim as it was. I don't see FO4 comin out in 2014 anyway, myself.
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

canon.docre wrote:
DR. THRAXX wrote:I literally just finished the first quest on Soul Sacrifice
yesssssssss! I've got my guy (err, girl) to level 20 sacrifice level 11 defense. It caps at 100 combined, apparently.
You're quite a bit ahead of me, I think I'm at 10 & 8.

Once I kind of figured out the weapons building and using that vision mechanic, the game has become a lot of fun. I went back and read some reviews on it, and people are fucking retarded. This game is the shit.

add me on PSN: retrohangglider

I play games super sporadically lately, so it might be a while before I accept, or it could be right away. I want to play this game quite a bit though. Multiplayer sounds like it could be fun.
Wolfey
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Wolfey »

GOG.com has Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for free.

I just bought and played the first two a few weeks ago, best decision I've made in a while
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

yeah, for mac too! I probably won't play fallout 2 again, because I've basically memorized every piece of dialogue in that game...but I'm psyched to play 1 and tactics again. tactics is hard as fuck. super underrated game
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

james wrote:You mean /w 360 and PS3...? There's no way bro. Fuckin things could barely handle Skyrim as it was. I don't see FO4 comin out in 2014 anyway, myself.
That is what I am hoping but never underestimate Bethesda's stupidity or greed vs releasing an optimized and.polished product.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

spacehamster wrote:Finished Hitman Absolution today. I dunno, maybe 6.5/10 because I can't decide between a 6 and a 7. The graphics are awesome, the voice acting's good and the character models are great, but the story is so dumb that it's more of a nuisance than anything, and the gameplay... eehh. It certainly has its moments, but in the end every level is the same - sneak up and strangle, massacre everyone or figure out the kill puzzle that they've hidden somewhere. There's nothing creative about how you approach things, just a few pre-determined paths and the usual weird AI glitches occasionally letting you get away with stuff. Oh well.
i'm about halfway through H:A, but so far i agree with basically all of this. holy shit this story is stupid :lol: some of the incidental dialogue that you hear from enemies while sneaking around is funny, but almost all the other writing/dialogue/plot in general is really bad. i mean i can't say i'm not enjoying it because i like talking out loud to myself and mocking everything, but i couldn't be less invested in the story.

the big problem i have is the janky as hell AI. i'm playing on the second highest difficulty, but i still feel like i've broken the game: if i make everyone hostile, i just bolt straight for the next destination marker, hide in something close to it, and they usually just forget about me. if i do end up getting cornered, it takes a half dozen guys like 10 seconds to kill with machine guns. WTF? i die more quickly when i'm getting punched by a wheezy 300-pound cop. other times i'll be CLEARLY in view of a guard and he doesn't notice me, but then five minutes later a guy spots me from 100 feet away.

i'll probably keep playing and beat it just because each new area still interests me and i like exploring them for the most part, and even on the PS3 the game looks really cool, but damn... this could have been a lot better.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The disguise system is completely broken on higher difficultues and so is the sixth sense or hitman sense or whatever. Virtually useless. A shame because Blood Money was a damn near perfect game.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote: some of the incidental dialogue that you hear from enemies while sneaking around is funny
That loses its charm when you have to listen to the same conversation five times in a row, though, waiting for them to finish talking and walking away.

Not that that's not something that basically every stealth game is guilty of, but it's worse when you've resolved to do a level "properly" and the game's giving you every incentive to just break it in one of the ways you described.

Anyway, from what I remember it's just a shame because it felt like a game that could've been good, but they fucked up too many things.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Anyone else getting GT6? I've been badmouthing it ever since the first footage hit, but now I watched like one review and I had to buy it anyway. Cannot resist the lure. Knowing full well I'll spend the first week driving Nissan hatchbacks on imaginary courses.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

I have no real interest in automotive stuff and I don't play racing games that lack turtle shells, but I feel like I'm missing out on part of the grand gaming experience by never playing any of those GT games. People really fucking get into those - it seems like every release is some sort of minor cultural tremor.
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

james wrote:I have no real interest in automotive stuff and I don't play racing games that lack turtle shells, but I feel like I'm missing out on part of the grand gaming experience by never playing any of those GT games. People really fucking get into those - it seems like every release is some sort of minor cultural tremor.
my dad really liked racing games, so when we moved in together when I was 18 I got a steering wheel/pedals and gran turismo 1 for my playstation. We probably logged over 300 hours in that fucking game, but unlocked everything. So much harder with a manual steering wheel but so much fun.