The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by FVBTVS »

Pisscubes wrote:i'm waiting another year. i think shit will pop off, son..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Necrometer wrote:Has this been the shittiest, most lackluster "new gen" ever, or do I just not talk to anyone who cares about baming anymore?
sales wise, the new gen is off to the best start ever AFAIK. PS4 sold 4+ million units in like 6 weeks and still not available in every territory. but i do think people were as excited about a new UI and console features, etc., as they were about specific launch games. the improvements are definitely more iterative than they've ever been and i'm sure that'll continue to be the case. VR stuff is the next major leap
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Excitement was usually high for me for new systems but mostly because video games were such a luxury in my life -- playing games at friends' places, or weekend rentals of Super Nintendo doing little more than dumping gallons of gasoline on my video game fire. We talked about this recently (I can't find it now of course :wank: , so looking it up), launch titles are generally pretty fucking weak, although part of that opinion might be the benefits of hindsight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... unch_games

NES had Mario, Duck Hunt (which no one would have cared about at all or ever even played if it didn't come with Mario, let's be real), and Excitebike. Sega had.. Black belt ? Not much at all. Genesis had Altered Beast, SNES had Mario World and Pilotwings (N64 also had these two games as launch titles :lol: :lol: ). Saturn had Virtua Fighter ? PS1 had nothing exclusive. PS2 had a ton of titles but not much memorable, while Xbox had Halo right out of the gate. 360 and PS3 had nothing memorable.

I think the idea that systems had strong launches is an inaccurate one. What could be playing a part in making this seem like an especially weak launch is that most of the launch games are also available on the current/previous generation system, which of course begs the question of "why bother ??" However, like all previous systems, I think we'll see a point in a year or so when a few big exclusives and across-all-consoles "system sellers" appear and we'll all be spraying our trousers like 16 year olds.

Most of the US is already blowing their load over the PS4 though, as Spooky pointed out.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

FVBTVS wrote:i'm waiting another year. i think shit will pop off, son..
This. I am in no way interested in the game but Infamous Second Son looks pretty great. Titanfall comes out shortly after, The Witcher 3 summer/early fall, and by that time hopefully studios will have abandoned the 360/PS3 and cater specifically to the new systems. Will probably take another year or two for that to really happen. :sad:

Almost forgot......Elder Scrolls Online will be the mindblowing game of 2014! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'll say this - I wasn't going to buy a PS4 before the new year because I expected the price to drop, and currently the only way to get one here in Switzerland is to buy an import for 700$.

So there's that. But otherwise, except for the fact that I'm kind of itching to get my hands on the new Killzone game, I'm not feeling much urgency to get a PS4. I will at some point this year, probably sooner than later, but frankly, writing this post sort of made me realize that I'd almost forgotten it existed.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

i'd kinda forgotten about it too until i saw the sales numbers... probably because i'm more excited for dark souls 2 and lords of shadow 2 (though less so) than anything else until maybe the witcher 3.

actually the release schedule this year is kinda meh so far. i was looking forward to the division but word is that's going to be delayed. i'm pretty sure watchdogs is going to blow, i'm skeptical as hell about dragon age 3, and the next-gen exclusive stuff that's coming out later this year (evolve, the order.. umm... other stuff) hasn't been shown to the public in any meaningful way. i'll be spending a lot of quality time with my backlog methinks
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

thanks for the insight, dudes

I do recognize that the launch itself has never been as WHOOOAAA as the suits want you to believe, and I generally get why it is that way. I just feel like this one has been more blah than any in history

I have certainly never bought a system on release since SNES, and I think my wait time has extended for each gen after establishing the ~2 year wait for a PS1

I was aware that systems were selling like hotcakes but I feel like that could be more indicative of an ever-expanding and aging market (I know I'm not the only one that, as a kid, assumes adult men would never be crazy about gaming once I was an adult) than anything else

spooky's point about the UI shit seems pretty solid but time will tell as they say
riley-o wrote:What could be playing a part in making this seem like an especially weak launch is that most of the launch games are also available on the current/previous generation system, which of course begs the question of "why bother ??"
yeah, that's the closest-to-unique thing I was sensing from this cycle
Pisscubes wrote:I DO think that this generation as the least between it technically than the last few ones-- ps1 was obviously not near ps2 which was obviously not near ps3 where as I have yet to see a HUGE leap in ps4.
and I was also getting this vibe - maybe it just speaks to the ridiculously forward-thinking nature of the ps3
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I meant to include this in that big post too

Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

:idea:

that's the thing - for so long, processing power has been the limiting factor for visual aesthetics, so that's what's been pushed on and it definitely paid off (SEE THE HELPFUL INFOGRAPHIC PUN INTENDED ABOVE)

there's so much that the new 2014-and-forward power could be used for in terms of physics, a.i. and other world reactivity, (something else?) but it takes creativity to put that sort of stuff into action
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Lighting and anti aliasing still seem to be fairly resource draining, and they make a bigger difference for the visuals than a lot of people seem to realize.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

one of the most disappointing things about the state of people streaming video games is how cynical much of it is. people playing games to rage about them and then tons of people eating it up. the speedrun community is completely different. even though they're completely breaking games, they're doing it because they love doing it and it's always a fun thing to watch. i love it.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

riley-o wrote:I meant to include this in that big post too

Necrometer wrote:there's so much that the new 2014-and-forward power could be used for in terms of physics, a.i. and other world reactivity, (something else?) but it takes creativity to put that sort of stuff into action
:tup:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Wang Mandu wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
riley-o wrote:I meant to include this in that big post too

I don't know shit about programming or design, but doesn't the example you posted assume the source is the 200 poly model, and then just subdividing from there ? I thought the point was what's possible to build from scratch with x number of triangles, not that each subdivision somehow reveals more detail :lol:
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

also I just watched the Mega Man speed run and the audience is applauding all these weird jumps through solid blocks and glitching shit out etc, and then everyone also applauded when he beat the dragon in Dr. Wily's castle :lol: :lol: :lol: :rhug:
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

spacehamster wrote: itching to get my hands on the new Killzone game.
no
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

the last time that disc was anywhere near my ps4 was november 15th.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

I'm so sorry.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Is The Last of Us just "press square at various QTEs during this movie" the whole time, or do you actually play a video game at some point ?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

riley-o wrote:Is The Last of Us just "press square at various QTEs during this movie" the whole time, or do you actually play a video game at some point ?
One of my last friends that plays games told a tales just the same. Interested to know.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

omfg everybody shut up
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Oh look Andrew stopped by to whine about the board and contribute nothing ! What a surprise ! What's the matter man, couldn't find an appropriate reddit gif to post ?
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

it's mostly just QTEs, stop playing now.
guardianoftheblind wrote:
no
:lol: sucks that apparently that game has amazing graphics and environments... and that's about it. it sounds like a giant pain in the ass to actually play through
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Spooky Apparition wrote:it's mostly just QTEs, stop playing now.
guardianoftheblind wrote:
no
:lol: sucks that apparently that game has amazing graphics and environments... and that's about it. it sounds like a giant pain in the ass to actually play through
aside from the visuals, it's absolutely terrible

EDIT: i take that back. the first mission in the woods is decent, but it all goes way, way downhill after that