humans should never be in space

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: humans should never be in space

Post by Necrometer »

Mars One Finalist Explains Exactly How It‘s Ripping Off Supporters
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
When Joseph first signed up with Mars One — the media-hyped, one-way mission to colonize the red planet being floated by a Dutch non-profit — he didn’t think much of it. The former NASA researcher said he never really took the application seriously; he was just putting his hat in the ring mostly out of curiosity, and with the hope of bringing public attention to space science.

But eventually Joseph — who is actually Dr. Joseph Roche, an assistant professor at Trinity College’s School of Education in Dublin, with a Ph.D. in physics and astrophysics — found himself on the group’s shortlist of 100 candidates all willing to undertake the theoretical journey. And that’s when he started talking to me about the big problems he was seeing with Mars One.

It was difficult for him to break his silence, but he was spurred into speaking out by the uncritical news coverage. Many basic assumptions about the project remain unchallenged. Most egregiously, many media outlets continue to report that Mars One received applications from 200,000 people who would be happy to die on another planet — when the number it actually received was 2,761.

As Roche observed the process from an insider’s perspective, his concerns increased. Chief among them: that some leading contenders for the mission had bought their way into that position, and are being encouraged to “donate” any appearance fees back to Mars One — which seemed to him very strange for an outfit that needs billions of dollars to complete its objective.

“When you join the ‘Mars One Community,’ which happens automatically if you applied as a candidate, they start giving you points,” Roche explained to me in an email. “You get points for getting through each round of the selection process (but just an arbitrary number of points, not anything to do with ranking), and then the only way to get more points is to buy merchandise from Mars One or to donate money to them.”
Dr. Joseph Roche

“Community members” can redeem points by purchasing merchandise like T-shirts, hoodies, and posters, as well as through gifts and donations: The group also solicits larger investment from its supporters. Others have been encouraged to help the group make financial gains on flurries of media interest. In February, finalists received a list of “tips and tricks” for dealing with press requests, which included this: “If you are offered payment for an interview then feel free to accept it. We do kindly ask for you to donate 75% of your profit to Mars One.”

The result, said Roche, is that high-profile prospects — including those in a list of “Top 10 hopefuls” published last month in The Guardian — are, in fact, simply the people who have generated the most money for Mars One. A spokeswoman confirmed by email that the positions were “based on the supporter points that our community can earn,” but said that “this number of points is unrelated to our selection process.”

As Roche also told me, that secretive selection process is hopelessly, and dangerously, flawed.

“I have not met anyone from Mars One in person,” he said. “Initially they’d said there were going to be regional interviews… we would travel there, we’d be interviewed, we’d be tested over several days, and in my mind that sounded at least like something that approached a legitimate astronaut selection process.

“But then they made us sign a non-disclosure agreement if we wanted to be interviewed, and then all of a sudden it changed from being a proper regional interview over several days to being a 10-minute Skype call.”

Mars One’s selection process to date has required candidates to complete a questionnaire, upload a video to the project’s website, and get a medical examination with each candidate’s local doctor (which they had to arrange themselves). Roche said he then had a short Skype conversation with Mars One’s chief medical officer, Norbert Kraft, during which he was quizzed with questions from literature about Mars and the mission that Mars One had provided to all the applicants. No rigorous psychological or psychometric testing was part of the appraisal. Candidates were given a month to rote-learn the material before the interview.

Mars One’s testing methods fall well short of NASA’s stringent astronaut corps requirements — not least in the case of anyone who would be training to be the mission commander, the individual who would actually pilot a theoretical craft to Mars. Commanders at NASA are required to have logged 1,000 jet aircraft flight hours to even be considered as training candidates for spaceflight.

Applicants were told they did not have permission to record the interview or to take any notes. Today, Roche said, he has still never had an in-person meeting with anyone associated with Mars One, and he is not aware that any candidate has ever been interviewed in person to assess their suitability to be sent one-way, forever, on a deep-space mission.

“That means all the info they have collected on me is a crap video I made, an application form that I filled out with mostly one-word answers… and then a 10-minute Skype interview,” Roche said. “That is just not enough info to make a judgment on someone about anything.”

Many other problems with the project were explored in depth in the Matter story I wrote in November. Nearly all of them — such as the small pool of applicants — continue to be ignored by the media.

But some cracks are emerging now. Reports emerged that the contract with the TV production company Endemol — which Mars One claimed could bring in up to $6 billion in revenue — was no longer in place and that the companies had gone their separate ways. And last month the Nobel laureate and theoretical physicist Gerard ’t Hooft — previously listed as an “advisor” to the project — put a realistic timeframe for a crewed mission to Mars at 100 years from now, not 10.

The organization did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

So, here are the facts as we understand them: Mars One has almost no money. Mars One has no contracts with private aerospace suppliers who are building technology for future deep-space missions. Mars One has no TV production partner. Mars One has no publicly known investment partnerships with major brands. Mars One has no plans for a training facility where its candidates would prepare themselves. Mars One’s candidates have been vetted by a single person, in a 10-minute Skype interview.

“My nightmare about it is that people continue to support it and give it money and attention, and it then gets to the point where it inevitably falls on its face,” said Roche. If, as a result, “people lose faith in NASA and possibly even in scientists, then that’s the polar opposite of what I’m about. If I was somehow linked to something that could do damage to the public perception of science, that is my nightmare scenario.”
So, here are the facts as we understand them: Mars One has almost no money. Mars One has no contracts with private aerospace suppliers who are building technology for future deep-space missions. Mars One has no TV production partner. Mars One has no publicly known investment partnerships with major brands. Mars One has no plans for a training facility where its candidates would prepare themselves. Mars One’s candidates have been vetted by a single person, in a 10-minute Skype interview.
more here: https://medium.com/matter/all-dressed-u ... 76df527ca0

I still hope they launch some people off of earth to become space corpses :tup:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

you know, im like anyone else and i really did have to examine myself and interrogate what it is that would make me want to do this too and i have to be honest, i just know i'd get there and immediately start to miss planet earth.. :confused:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
strict
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by strict »

who cares about some rocks and dust. we have beauty here forever :rhug: :lhug:

edit - 500th post in five years pride
Last edited by strict on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

basically :invcross:

rocks dust and chores
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
bland ed
Certified False.

Post by bland ed »

Necrometer wrote:during which he was quizzed with questions from literature about Mars
fuck that is idiotic
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

Post by Advances>|<MONKEY »

Millennial Tech-Equestrians will cheerfully fund this garbage cuz the room in their memory palace filled with velvet sagan paintings surrounded by used condoms and soiled masturbation aides. Pink and purple jugglers tipped with translucent milk yellow. The Late Carls poorly rendered smile would look even more like a cringe if he knew where his image was in these fellows minds!

They don't need a ship or anything they could just run the thing as a reality show and they could be well away with the money before anyone catches on.

And where is Robert Zurbin in all of this. I think he at least had some bright-eyed almost-astronauts wandering around the arctic in some fake habitats during the W Bush administration. Americas dreams are being quashed one by one!

They should colonize the water like in the popular program "SeaQuest DSV" It would be much more profitable and you can force criminals to do it. They could fix the sex offender quandaries by sending them all under the sea to mine mineral nodules. Think of the profit, and the DRAMA if they turn that one into a reality show as well. Would you BELIVE America could fall in love with a serial child molester? When 45 million tune in for the season finale of Deep Trouble on Fox™ you will!
"I AM THE LONE RANGER" = Donald Trump.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Advances>|<MONKEY wrote:They should colonize the water like in the popular program "SeaQuest DSV" It would be much more profitable and you can force criminals to do it. They could fix the sex offender quandaries by sending them all under the sea to mine mineral nodules. Think of the profit, and the DRAMA if they turn that one into a reality show as well. Would you BELIVE America could fall in love with a serial child molester? When 45 million tune in for the season finale of Deep Trouble on Fox™ you will!
:moreawesome:
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:tup: :awesome:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

can skip to 3:00

Rev. Christberg
Take As Needed For Pain

Post by Rev. Christberg »

Eh, by the time we actually master interstellar travel the beings doing it will scarcely qualify as human any more. Provided we actually pull it off, that is.

If there's anything organic from earth that shows up at another inhabited planet it'll be little more than a brain in a heavily radiation shielded jar and a cell culturing factory.

Interstellar travel at higher (or even close to) light speeds is an engineering challenge far greater than turning humans into superhuman cyborgs and/or cracking infinite cellular regeneration. We'll hit both of those in the next couple lifetimes probably.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

stellar assessment

I think going non-cell-based is the only hope for interstellar travel (even if you make the flesh immortal, you still gotta feed and water it), and at that point who cares if you have a "brain" on board vs. streaming the info back home?
Rev. Christberg
Take As Needed For Pain

Unfortunately since there's no transmission medium faster than the speed of light either, wanting to see it with your own eyes remains a viable impetus to put yourself out there if possible. But yeah, I don't expect it to be a "human" that does it.

Think more along the lines of transporting a bunch of water harvested from space and nutrients that are artificially manufactured and stored in a super dense format.

The size of the ship is irrelevant if it's manufactured entirely in space, mainly by robots. You just have to get the "food" in a format that is resistant to radiation and sufficient to keep the (heavily shielded and very small) organic components alive. It's gonna be glucose and ground up nutrients from rocks fed intravenously pretty much.

That way you only have to break orbit with whatever organic samples and/or tissue is required to make the ship sentient, if any at all. Though I'm still somewhat dubious over whether artificial intelligence ever becomes a reality.

There's also the issue of whether or not you could keep anything sentient awake in the vast vacuum of space without it going batshit which I don't have a better solution for besides lots of pictures of cats and writ large versions of tic-tac-toe.

It'd also be plausible to freeze genetic samples, transport then thaw and lab grow humans from them as well if that suits your fancy.
Black Jacques
Sweet Lord _______

Post by Black Jacques »

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:moreawesome:

I watched the whole thing somehow... packed with twists!
bland ed
Certified False.

Post by bland ed »

:lol: :lol: :lol: how can you not watch the whole thing and giggle the whole time
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Necrometer wrote:that STUPIED fucking space taxi

rest in pieces you shitpile

humans can't die fast enough
:lol:
No Cunting Elves
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I can't figure out if I was drunk, oh well :cheers:

Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Necrometer wrote:can skip to 3:00

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/conspi ... ource=mbfb

Here we go.
No Cunting Elves
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

ahahaha, the diagram explanation
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Necrometer wrote:
Jerrod wrote:Also, your stance that any resources spent on interplanetary colonization or the search for extra terrestrial life forms is a waste is just obtuse.
I think it's worth having a serious gaze out into the neighborhood, but I don't think going door-to-door is a very good use of energy. There are no aliens anyway... The Drake equation evaporates once you have an understanding of exactly how unlikely abiogenesis is.
I might have to backpedal...

breaking waste of cash:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... tions.html

how about $100 million to characterize shit that's being bulldozed into extinction every single day? per-dollar return on new species guaranteed to be infinity % better. but I guess that's not intelligent life so nobody gives a fuck. like I want to talk to a bunch of extraterrestrial back-patters anyway...
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

we won't be able to exterminate whatever aliens we find or even just exploit them in any way (because they are a zillion miles away) so what's the point again?
Image Certified Poster
Rev. Christberg
Take As Needed For Pain

If you've read Hawking's comments on extraterrestrials you'd realize that he's probably interested in finding out if they're out there for the same reason it's good to know if there are world killing asteroids on an intercept course with earth. Good to have some advance warning so you an potentially do something about it.

Dude isn't wishing for 1st contact at all.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/08/how-and-w ... ml/2#part2

can any of these apparently intelligent people ACTUALLY believe that mars is a more robust & economical anti-extinction strategy than some really nice bunkers? mars is a shithole...

credit to that article - it taught me that we have exactly two decent photos of the surface of venus:

Ok, I guess those are pretty heavily edited. here's more, shitty/source ones:
http://www.popsci.com/yes-weve-seen-surface-venus
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/

I like these posters nasa had drawn up
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road