The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by The Bill »

I'm sure it will be fine. Although, I can pretty much count my beloved Bioshock shit canned. Or worse, resurrected as a retard.

I thought Strider was out today, but I don't see it on either XBLA or PSN. Maybe Europe gets it today.

It's on the PSN now.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I caved and bought a PS4 at lunchtime.

I don't even know why.

I think I have a problem.

Funnily at the nearby mall next to my work - There's 8 shops including major chains that sell them as soon as they're put on the shelf - but there's Xbones lying around everywhere.

New era supremacy - See you on BF4 somewhere later on tonight!
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

hah, nice :tup: I have a feeling the same thing will happen to me eventually too.

I also see stack of Xbones in every store I go into, but I've seen like a total of two PS4 boxes.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

FVBTVS wrote:but then having said that i played the titanfall beta for about an hour or so yesterday and it was godamn fun

too bad its not 2007 right now
I played it a bit more last night. I got the hang of it and enjoyed myself much more this time around. I really like traversing the maps by double jumping, wall running and cloaking. The battles are crazy and chaotic sometimes and I find it hard to stay aware of everything around me but I guess that's the point? Especially with the really fast respawn time. Still not sure if I'll buy the full game but it might be a nice, quick game to cool off with if Dark Souls 2 makes my blood boil.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

it looks like the time to kill is scaled back a little bit from what it would be in a call of duty when you're one on one with another player. thats quite welcome. titans are different obviously..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Yeah. When I played a few rounds of MW years back, I'd spawn and die so quickly I got bored. I still get smoked regularly in Titanfall but I feel like I have more of a chance. I finally mounted an enemy titan last night but right as the match ended. I think I did better with the 360 controller than I did with m/kb :lol: .

I wonder how much Microsoft paid for this to not be on PS4... Seems like a bonehead move but maybe it's only for 6 months to a year.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

The chain stores have stacks of PS4 boxes. I asked how much they were recently since there was no sign on them and the guy goes, "aaah, they're $399 when we have them."
Me {looking at the boxes} "Do you.. you don't.. have any ?"
{Looking at me like I'm fucking retarded} "They sell out pretty much immediately as soon as we get them.."
"B-b-b.. the boxes.."
"*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* They're empty, dude.."
"But why.."
"It's a display."
"For a product you don't have."
"Yeah."
" :| "
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

the game shoppe is bizarro world when it comes to correlations between what you see and what you get

I'll just paste this one again for the hell of it...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
so my buddy was in town and we decided that we'd like to play some Dead Space 2

I walk into the local bamestore and I find a "used" box on the shelf - $35

I bring it to the counter, bamemployee hunts around for five minutes - "we actually don't have this used - would you like to buy it new for $40" - OK, I decide

she hunts around for another three minutes, pulls a disc in a sleeve out from somewhere behind the counter "this is actually our last copy, is it OK if I give you a display case?" - OK, I decide

she takes another two minutes to print out a "new" $40 pricetag sticker to place over the "used" box's previously-existing $35 sticker, moves the disc from its sleeve to the stupid case, and then places a massive circular sticker to seal over the opening of the case

and then I paid and left

not to get all Mallard on this situation, but... yeah

and I was completely aware that this game is $30 with free shipping from Amazon
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

that is a fucking perfectly elegant game stop anecdote, ross :tup:
riley-o wrote:The chain stores have stacks of PS4 boxes. I asked how much they were recently since there was no sign on them and the guy goes, "aaah, they're $399 when we have them."
{Looking at me like I'm fucking retarded} "They sell out pretty much immediately as soon as we get them.."
"B-b-b.. the boxes.."
"But why.."
"It's a display."
"Yeah."
xbox supremacy
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

riley-o wrote:The chain stores have stacks of PS4 boxes. I asked how much they were recently since there was no sign on them and the guy goes, "aaah, they're $399 when we have them."
"B-b-b.. the boxes.."
"But why.."
"It's a display."
"Yeah."
Dude that was fucking every shop today - there were over 30 units in one store on Monday up on their stock shelf and they were out as of this morning - target finally had them after walking to a slew of shops that had those empty boxes you describe here.

The weirdest thing was yesterday I went to a second hand shop to get something and they had a ps4 in the window for 685 when the retail in oz for 548. I asked why and they said they were trying to get people to sell them to them to stock up as they only had one. It made nonsense at all. Again weirdly, they had half a dozen xbones already...

My coworker couldn't help question the logic to the point the chick serving me said 'look I don't make the rules ok?' Which is retailer for 'go fuck yourself mate'
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Anyhoo I got the beast home, firmware update, now downloading Oulast for free thanks to PS+ transferring from PS3 to PS4 on logging in with my PSN and cued up BF4 for 10 bucks or whatever it was. I had an error at first after I redeemed the BF4 code (E-82000113) which some other folks had, but then I paired my iPhone to the ps4 and bought the discounted version through the store link on the phone and it sent the purchase through the ps4 from my phone and not it's waiting to DL.

The controller feels like the first time I got my hands on a great set of tits - keen to play!
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

They're price gouging here, too. Quick check.online says nearly $600 and higher for just the PS4 and no games. I'll wait. :lol:
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

even though there are no ps4 games i want to play im still on the fence about spending a portion of my tax return on a ps4 or a new bike frame.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

A couple more hours in the Titanfall beta and I am in on release day. That game is way too much fun. Some little pilot fucker tried to mount my Titan and I punched him into a jelly paste. :awesome:
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I just pretend like I'm the hero of a kafka story
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

That whole system is horseshit. Those clerks take those games home and play them and then bring them back to the store. They claim it's to reduce theft but why not do it like every other store and keep the games locked behind the counter. :wank:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I was only going to play five minutes of Strider, and then an hour of Dark Souls before going to bed (to watch a show call The Curse of Oak Island, which the Mrs wanted to watch with me). Turns out it hooked me enough that I kept putting off Dark Souls at every check point in favor of playing more Strider. The game is Metroidvania without reminding me of either franchise. More like Shadow Complex, Mega Man, and arcade Strider. It's really akin to a great SNES game. I like it. I like it a lot. Still, something is off. The graphics are fine but the setting is a bit dull. Not sure that's the problem. I feel that the experience is the same as going to an expensive Steak House that has great steak, but lackluster sides.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Pisscubes wrote: The only thing that has stopped me is that... there's no reason for me to get one yet. But 90% of my raging child id keeps telling me to get one anyway. :cry:
Man that's a perfect analogy for drove me to buy this - I have been so disciplined in not buying a brand spanking new 1 gen console since like N64 - But for some reason I have 550 burning a hole in my pocket and I HAD TO BUY IT.

I'll put it down to midlife crisis.

Anyway - Looking forward to playing Outlast and 64 player Conquests.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3OP5-0ojKc<

Anyone want to take the plunge and play it? I'm sure The Bill already has it pre-ordered. :awesome: :lol:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3OP5-0ojKc<

Anyone want to take the plunge and play it? I'm sure The Bill already has it pre-ordered. :awesome: :lol:
I'll probably play that. That parts true. I have nothing on the pre-order list as of now. As for Wolfy, I'll wait till I have a PS4 & get that version.

Not much on my want to buy list right now. Bioshock DLC & I'm thinking Demon's Soul.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Yeah, just bought Demon's Soul. Won't get to it until I beat Dark Souls, which will take me like 2 years, but there you have it.

As for other games, well, it's time to do my yearly cleaning out of the games. Sold a bunch of stuff back to Gamespot. Got about $128 for thousands of dollars worth of games, and a lifetime of regret wasting my time on some of them:

Far Cry: Instincts Predator - I have Classic and 3, no idea for this game any more. I did like it once, but I'm never going to play it again.

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows - I'm too old, and too impatient, and quite frankly I don't have the free time to play every kind of game. If there's a style, or game play element (for example Turn Base) that doesn't bring me joy, then I'm not doing it anymore. This game has a lot of good stuff going on, but at it's core it's what I've termed a "Hurricane Beat-em Up". I just don't find this type of melee fun. Never finished it.

Dragon's Dogma - I really like the demo, but hated the full game. I only can stand to have one Dungeons & Dragons type of game active, and if you get replaced you're done for. Permanently. Never finished it.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - I liked this game, but I'm never going to play it again.

Sleeping Dogs - I really liked it at first, but ran out of gas with me pretty damn quick. For all the variety these sandbox games have, I always find they have the least I want to do outside of causing a random ruckus on the street. Never finished it.

Amazing Spider-Man - I was giving this game a pass for a while for being an Arkham clone. I love the Arkham games, and anything like the Arkham games is good, right? Well, then I tried Origins at the same time I was playing Spidey... No! Just NO!! Origins is an Arkham game, Spider-Man is an Asshole game. Never finished it.

WWE '13 - I admit I'm a big doofus that watches this doofus nonsense. Yet, even I know that the quality of this "sport" is in constant decline. As my interest in the Television product wains so it does with the video games. Good game, but reversal system has been broken for a few years.

Call of Duty: MW 2 - I liked the shooting gallery style game for about two years, then I became sick of it. This was the title where I got sick of it.

Call of Duty: MW 3 - Exact same game as 2. These types of games have zero re-play. Actually, every year they release something that's basically replaying it. So there you go.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - This maybe my favorite one of the whole shooting gallery FPS genre (outside of the first Modern Warfare) but I don't see me ever playing it again.

Asura's Wrath - Yeah, I gave it the old college try, at least. I'd say the only selling point is the elaborate boss fights, then I'd tell you to play Metal Gear Rising if you want that. Never finished it.

Crysis 2 - It was fine. It sure was a looker. But I was bored by it a lot. Hard parts... easy parts... never really sparked with me.

God of War Saga - Hurricane Beat-em Ups are not for me. Never finished it.

Dead Pool - Fuck off. Never finished it.

Dragon's Crown - I rather liked it. It was the only game I've played online with people in a hundred years. Still, there can only be one that swing's the magic sword, and it is now Dark Souls.

Killzone 3 - It was fine. It looked good. It's nothing I need to play again.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

And so, unencumbered by the weight of abandoned games, The Bill bravely marched toward a brighter future, his destination unclear, but his spirit resolute and fixated on one noble goal: finish some goddamn games.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

im getting twice the refund i expected so as soon as that gets deposited im getting a ps4 :mastoman: :pizza: :invcross:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote:And so, unencumbered by the weight of abandoned games, The Bill bravely marched toward a brighter future, his destination unclear, but his spirit resolute and fixated on one noble goal: finish some goddamn games.
I can't even remember the last game I've beaten. Not counting Metal Gear Rising or Dragon's Crown or anything I've previously beaten that is. Ah, Batman Arkham: Origins. Yeah, I'm totally not feeling bad about not beating those shitty games I sold back.

I will beat Far Cry Classic

I will beat Strider

I will beat Dark Souls

I will beat these three things, I swear on to you...

...this year
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Demons Souls and Dark Souls are the most satisfying video game victories I've had since beating the Chuck Norris Xonox cart on Atari 2600 Bill - You'll get there.

I had to :fp: last night after I dicked around and transferred my PS3 BF4 Platinum to PS4 and downloaded the Second Assault maps. I love the 64 multi matches heaps but Metro was broken on console for 32 - The mid map choke point is just retarded.