The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Spooky Apparition »

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/statu ... 7082749952

hahaha... I love how these people who have already played the game a lot are basically like "who fucking cares?" it's just pissing off these crazy people even more.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhckus8ktgE<

sorry guys. but this shit isn't nothing. i'm not a complete idiot and i wouldn't leave my shit shrink wrapped out of butthurt over it but its precisely those kinds of little inconsistencies about game development and lack of transparency that should frost people's asses..

even if it boils down to some kind of pc supremacy/console scrub bullshit, the real problem with these shit sack whiners is that they have an actual point this time unfortunately.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The only real significant difference I'm seeing is exactly in that still, whre you look down from that bridge and the ground looks like something out of an early 16-bit shmup. The rest is mostly color changes and slightly less dark shadows.

Sure, it's not "nothing", but if we don't want this kind of thing to happen, we're basically saying nobody can ever release advance footage or preview builds, or have public betas, ever again because the first thing you show the world must be 100% representative of the final product.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

FVBTVS wrote:sorry guys. but this shit isn't nothing.
well yeah, they changed the look of the environment, even going from stone to plant-covered walls, etc. I'm 100% sure it was due to a natural evolution of the levels or hardware constraints versus an intentional downgrade used to sucker people into buying the game or "lying," which is what they're arguing.

try to find a game that doesn't change from early on. it happens with great games (Bioshock Infinite's reveal videos have tons of stuff that never made it into the final game) good games (Killzone 2's initial reveal is notorious for not being representative of the final game) and terrible ones (Aliens: Colonel Marines.. no explanation needed).

like SH said, for this 'problem' to go away, developers basically need to never show anything except the final build of a game.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i dont want to make this an extension of the gaf thing or defend any of those people but..

cutting graphical features last minute is one thing. it's just crazy how different the game looks with those changes and none of the videos/stills that have been available the last couple months at all reflect the build that you pay for and you don't get to see that build until you'd already pre-ordered/paid for/played etc

and yes i'm aware of this being present/rampant elsewhere. i remember Halo 2 :twisted: :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

+1 to all that, plus I think it's a giant stretch to say the final game doesn't "at all reflect" what we've already seen. if it was that different, there wouldn't even be an argument over it, every site on the internet would be pissed off and DkS2 would have poor reviews. it's small to moderate texture/lighting changes in certain parts of the game that changed over the course of the last year-plus.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

I swear this is the last thing I'll say about this, but someone in that GAF thread actually said the Dark Souls 2 'situation' was worse than A:CM :lol: :lol: that's when I had to stop reading it for good.

abrupt topic shift: we've consistently had not one but THREE game threads near the top of the board for the last week or so. I feel a sense of obligation to start a new non-game thread but... no ideas. I just don't want Torsion to get mad
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
abrupt topic shift: we've consistently had not one but THREE game threads near the top of the board for the last week or so. I feel a sense of obligation to start a new non-game thread but... no ideas. I just don't want Torsion to get mad
I noticed that as well. Also enjoyed True Detective breaking into the top five a lot. We're talking about Dark Souls in this thread, and the series has two other full fledged threads. Didn't RAGE have it's own thread once? Poor id software. :(
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:Game talk on this board can't be beat. It's one of the few sane corners of the internet to discuss this hobby like a mostly reasonable person. Best tips and reviews I get: From this board.
That's right, gaming has become this place's premier steak house. If it wasn't for this place I would never have given Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish, or Dark Souls a chance. :tup2:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:I'm also just completed fucking goggled over this small fact:

Colonial Marines: $60

Dark Souls 2: $60

Let that sink in for a moment in terms of the amount of work that went into both games.
You can also look at it this way: Uncharted 2 and Dark Souls cost the same amount of money. I enjoyed both games. But I played through Uncharted 2 once, it took maybe 10-12 hours (which is actually a long time for the type of candy action game it is), and then never touched it again. Dark Souls I've played for probably about 200 hours at this point. And it's the same with every other RPG I've really enjoyed.

I think about that sometimes, and then I have a really hard time explaining to myself why I still buy AAA action games.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Pisscubes wrote:
Raw Ting wrote:playing new super mario bros on wii and wondering why i didn't play it years ago. :drool:
Wait-- which new one? And on Wii or WiiU? I've heard the newest one on WiiU that came out around Christmas is fucking awesome.

And I think Mario Galaxy for the Wii is one of the best games ever made.
Bought a WiiU for Mitch Jr., an early 5th bday present... Never really got into the Mario games but I've been playing SMB with him everyday this week... And when he goes to bed :oops:
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

FVBTVS wrote:>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhckus8ktgE<

sorry guys. but this shit isn't nothing. i'm not a complete idiot and i wouldn't leave my shit shrink wrapped out of butthurt over it but its precisely those kinds of little inconsistencies about game development and lack of transparency that should frost people's asses..

even if it boils down to some kind of pc supremacy/console scrub bullshit, the real problem with these shit sack whiners is that they have an actual point this time unfortunately.
ok wow, yeah that's quite a bit more significant than some random stills or gifs were letting on
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

I probably already missed all the Titanfall babble, but this game is awesome. I've never been crazy about straight-up FPSs, but Titanfall is awesome. So fucking chaotic and the maps, though they are pretty small, look awesome. I'm glad this game lived up to the hype.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

delmuerte wrote:I probably already missed all the Titanfall babble, but this game is awesome. I've never been crazy about straight-up FPSs, but Titanfall is awesome. So fucking chaotic and the maps, though they are pretty small, look awesome. I'm glad this game lived up to the hype.
I think only you & Madman have the Xbox 1, dude. Titianfall hasn't been babbled about so much as it has been blurbed. In fact, I think the initial conversation about it morphed into Dark Souls some how.

Since you have it. Is it true? Zero single player? BOT matches maybe?
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

some thoughts on shit I've finished in the last month:

Vanquish - only took 7 hours to beat, but basically every second (aside from the cutscenes) was really fun. whoever came up with the combination of sliding + bullet time was a genius, and it's too bad more people didn't play the game. I'm guilty of ignoring it too since I only became interested in it once it was on PS+. If Dark Souls 2 hadn't just come out I'd probably play through it again on a harder difficulty and try to take in more of the insane scale of the environments that you rush through most of the time. also, the last part with the blood on American flag, and the reason why there's blood on the American flag, made me :lol: pretty hard. for pure fun, I seriously think Vanquish is like a 9/10 game.

Left Behind (Last of Us DLC) - I was probably the biggest fan of TLOU on this board, and I actually like Left Behind more than the normal game. Even though I'm a huge fan of the game's combat, having significant time just walking around looking at stuff was refreshing, and the graphics seemed even better than the vanilla game. It's probably the best looking last-gen stuff I've seen. Also, pitting the humans against the infected was fucking cool and should have been a prominent feature in the main game. I'm guessing they just didn't have time to implement it. I liked it enough that I reloaded the game several times just to see how I could screw around with the opposing factions in different ways. I think people would have liked TLOU's gameplay more if it was part of the normal game.. too bad. Also, music this good made just for DLC is insane. Too bad Naughty Dog is going back for more Uncharted, but I'm curious how it turns out since Amy whats-her-name left the studio.

Brothers - the anti-Cryptoplasty game of 2013. Even though it ended pretty similarly to how I expected it would, I loved almost every second of it. The way the mechanics connect to the story and emotional hook of the game was really cool and the art style was great, especially the part with
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
giants where you have to manipulate their bodies to progress, like shooting that one poor bastard in the head
. The pacing was perfect too. It seemed like I was walking through completely different looking areas every half hour or so. I think they could have used the two character controls in more challenging ways, but that's the only complaint I have. More games need to have fake languages a la Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, btw.

Outland - pretty generic Ubisoft platformer with sort of a cool visual style that I got on sale for like $3.50. Has a light/dark mechanic that I'm pretty sure has been done in other games... I dunno. Probably worth playing if you're a big platformer fan, but nothing special. Has some really fucking frustrating parts.

Wipeout 2048 (Vita) - first racing game I've played and completed in probably 10 years. I liked it enough that I want to play more racing games but I'm too scared to jump into Gran Turismo. I've tried playing a handful of Wipeout games dating back to the one included on the first PSX demo disc and really disliked them, but this one hooked me for some reason. Looks great on the Vita too.

... and that's probably the last post like that I'll make for a long time unless Dark Souls 2 takes way less time to beat than I think it will.
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

Wipe out 2048 was really fun!! I'm still working on soul sacrifice. I gotta kill magusar before I call it quits and move on.

Tried banner saga for about 5 minutes, not in the mood. Fired up battlefield bad company 2 after blowing it in cs source for a couple of rounds. Still fun as hell. Considering revisiting fallout 3. A bit bummed realizing my computer probably isn't going to cut it for any aaa titles this year.
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Wank night's cancelled
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:Vanquish - only took 7 hours to beat, but basically every second (aside from the cutscenes) was really fun. whoever came up with the combination of sliding + bullet time was a genius, and it's too bad more people didn't play the game. I'm guilty of ignoring it too since I only became interested in it once it was on PS+. If Dark Souls 2 hadn't just come out I'd probably play through it again on a harder difficulty and try to take in more of the insane scale of the environments that you rush through most of the time. also, the last part with the blood on American flag, and the reason why there's blood on the American flag, made me :lol: pretty hard. for pure fun, I seriously think Vanquish is like a 9/10 game.
Playing it again on a harder difficulty, you'll notice how well designed the game really is. Much of it seems chaotic and over the top, but when everything can kill you quickly and have to pay more attention, you realize that it's actually a smart game with clear structure.

Also, Vanquish > Revengeance. I love both games to pieces, but this is the goddam truth.

It's funny, really, I hated Bayonetta, but I love these two games so much. I actually tried the Bayonetta demo again a while ago after Revengeance came out because I thought there had to be something there I missed and it just wasn't possible that I hated one of these three games and loved the other two, but I couldn't make it past the first two minutes.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I hated the whole hair thing. I didn't find it wacky, crazy, or "just Japanese". I found it lame, distracting, and embarrassing. Also, the puzzles were that typical GOW style ones and I refuse to do those anymore.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

An associate of mine made this awesome Smash Bros comic!!

Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Spooky Apparition wrote:the anti-Cryptoplasty game of 2013. .
To be fair, this is about 99.9% of games that have come out recently. I can't decide which is worse, hipster platformers/adventure games, multi shooters for babies, MOBAs, and story based games that are 50% QTE.

Dark Souls is refreshing, even though I don't like it. But it's the kind of foundation the industry needs to get it's ass back in shape.

I love video games, but I'm fully convinced now that they're going to continue to get worse.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

hipster platformers :lol: :lol:
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

not to encourage cryptoplasticism, but hipster platformers are VERY MUCH a real thing...

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDaa3Cq6c7M<
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

after about 2 hours of adjusting to the menus and with thorough use of english guides, i'm completely into yakuza/RGG 5. they finally tweaked a whole bunch of stuff that always got on my nerves, and thank god for finally including sub-mission map markers.

this is the most kanji i've ever seen in one game and the only thing that's saving me in some parts is that the menus make logical sense for the most part. at least older games stick primarily to kana which i can handle.

eeeck. but, good game.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

I'm playing on PC. Am I really the only PC gamer around here?

It's basically true about the single player. It's just a running dialog in multiplayer matches. The dialog doesn't even have anything to do with what you're doing in the game. So weird.

There's lots of bots in the game, yeah. The "grunts" and "spectres" are all AI just running around waiting to get shot and shave time off your titanfall. It's only 6v6 but there's a lot of NPCs running around.
The Bill wrote:
delmuerte wrote:I probably already missed all the Titanfall babble, but this game is awesome. I've never been crazy about straight-up FPSs, but Titanfall is awesome. So fucking chaotic and the maps, though they are pretty small, look awesome. I'm glad this game lived up to the hype.
I think only you & Madman have the Xbox 1, dude. Titianfall hasn't been babbled about so much as it has been blurbed. In fact, I think the initial conversation about it morphed into Dark Souls some how.

Since you have it. Is it true? Zero single player? BOT matches maybe?