The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by FVBTVS »

lol at zuckerberg calling vr and oculus 'the most social experience ever' :|
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

In terms of gaming because fuck a VR social app experience, all it needs is a killer app and a decent price point. The hardcore PC crowd is already sold on it and that alone is enough for a product, much like high end gpus, to be successful. I know fuckall about business though so :wank: away :awesome: :lol: .

Or Valve could come in and steal all their and Sony's thunder with gamers. :brokenheart:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Does Oculus plan to refund its kickstarter money? Seems kinda shitty to crowdsource funds without conveying any ownership interest, then turn around and make $2bn before releasing anything. Now it could look as though those funds were just used to leverage Oculus into a large acquisition.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

thx for the cheddar skrubz :lol:

I have 8 children.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

No Cunting Elves
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Getting bought out was probably their plan all along. Technically, the Kickstarter campaign has been fulfilled with people receiving the first prototype. Definitely a douchebag move but I would have done the same.

Wonder how long Carmack is going to stick around.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Wang Mandu wrote:Getting bought out was probably their plan all along. Technically, the Kickstarter campaign has been fulfilled with people receiving the first prototype. Definitely a douchebag move but I would have done the same.

Wonder how long Carmack is going to stick around.
Prototype? I'm not familiar with the details of their crowdsourcing, other than they had one, but I'd've assumed they all got like a fucking t-shirt or something.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Spooky Apparition wrote::tup: good man

p.s. I've decided the rest of this year sucks for games. wtf is actually coming out for sure?
I don't really know. Once binding of Isaac rebirth comes out, I'll probably just play that until my hands fall off.

Some decent looking jrpgs I guess? That persona q 3ds game will come out this year. Batman? I guess destiny?
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Zap Rowsdower wrote:Prototype? I'm not familiar with the details of their crowdsourcing, other than they had one, but I'd've assumed they all got like a fucking t-shirt or something.
the Minecraft creator pitched in 10K and he got to visit their offices and meet with John Carmack, in addition to other stuff. he also immediately bailed on OR when the deal was announced. http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-realit ... the-world/ choice quote: "And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

copstache, I did forget about Destiny and Batman. personally I'm not pumped for those at all, but I guess those are the biggest remaining releases? I'm not putting any faith in Bioware until I see a final build, but DA3 has some potential... I suppose
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i wouldn't say i'm pumped for it but i think destiny will be a pretty amazing game. i may not even play it but i'm just sayin..

and at this point im hanging my aspirations on a legit next gen fallout/elder scrolls after i play dark souls 2 for another 1.5 years

I have 8 children.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I'm not quite sure but I believe OR received the vast majority of their funding outside of the Kickstarter. The main guy has said with the Facebook money they'll be able to develop custom hardware instead of relying on outside vendors and the scraps from the mobile industry.

The dream is dead.
Spooky Apparition wrote:copstache, I did forget about Destiny and Batman. personally I'm not pumped for those at all, but I guess those are the biggest remaining releases? I'm not putting any faith in Bioware until I see a final build, but DA3 has some potential... I suppose
They're saying all the right things but they always do that. I guarantee a party member is going to be pre-order dlc or some other bullshit tactic. I'm waiting on reviews for this one and I'd love it if Bioware put out a great game. DA2 and ME3 hurt far too much.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:It's official-- I can't play other fucking video games after months of nothing but Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.

Just downloaded the new Bioshock DLC and I keep trying to raise my shield and roll.
I haven't even bought any of the Bioshock DLC. No idea when I'll get around to playing that. There's no way I'm playing anything but Dark Souls 2 right now.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/techn ... iness&_r=4

in the article...

"According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo."

I wouldn't expect NYT to completely make something up, but that seems too dumb of a move to be true. if it is... a million :fp:
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah if thats true i think that will be the final shoe to drop where people will realize that facebook is a truly doomed enterprise and they're hopeless. it'll be like the lost finale only way better.. :lol:

I have 8 children.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote:is worth about 10% as much as a messaging app.
That messaging app comes with a substantial client list. OR isn't close to releasing a final.product.

Good to see old man Cryptoplasty. Sure, the same things were probably said about HD resolutions ("I just can't see the difference" :| ), online games, and smart phones. I doubt it will be a huge mainstream.success but dismissing it as some.novelty or comparing vr tech today to two decades ago is kind of....stupid.
HD, online games, and smartphones are not gimmicks. They're upgrades. 3D and VR are gimmicks. And if it's not going to be mainstream, why was it just purchased by Facebook for 2 billion dollars? It's being dismissed as a novelty because IT IS a novelty. I know people seem to think it's the wave of the future, but that's exactly what they said about VR in the past. No matter how many improvements they make to VR, it will ALWAYS be a gimmick.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Facebook is basically the Borg now. They just assimilated the Oculus Rift because it seemed like a potential threat, just like Whatsapp, and they'll figure out what to do with it later. Which means Facebook's Potential Threat To Be Assimilated Immediately profile now means "any IT product not already owned by a major corporation". Maybe they'll buy From Software next.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I don't think Facebook views OR or WhatsApp as a threat. I view these major acquisitions as attempts to stay relevant with younger generations fleeing their core product, and to have an invetory of products to potentially compete with Google's emerging ventures. Coincidental that this deal was announced after Google agreed with the global monopoly of eyewear to provide Google Glass?
FVBTVS wrote:it'll be like the lost finale only way better.. :lol:
I'm stealing this.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Cryptoplasty wrote:HD, online games, and smartphones are not gimmicks. They're upgrades. 3D and VR are gimmicks. And if it's not going to be mainstream, why was it just purchased by Facebook for 2 billion dollars? It's being dismissed as a novelty because IT IS a novelty. I know people seem to think it's the wave of the future, but that's exactly what they said about VR in the past. No matter how many improvements they make to VR, it will ALWAYS be a gimmick.
Good points and fair enough. :tup:
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah no. just because it was a gimmick doesn't mean anything to me and it doesn't mean it is a gimmick right now. it's a concept and people are striving toward it. maybe goggles aren't they answer but it's like saying artificial intelligence is a gimmick.. :wank:

I have 8 children.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

has anyone here used an OR? I assume MMD did, or else he just really wanted to try it and preordered it. I feel fucking awful and close to puking at 3D movies, so I'm kinda worried I wouldn't be able to stomach OR :(
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Spooky Apparition wrote:has anyone here used an OR? I assume MMD did, or else he just really wanted to try it and preordered it. I feel fucking awful and close to puking at 3D movies, so I'm kinda worried I wouldn't be able to stomach OR :(
I've messed around w/ it a few times. my gf's company makes a lot of demos and shit for it. The DK1 was a bit too low-resolution for my tastes. The DK2 solves that problem.
ImageImageImage
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Started the Bioshock DLC. It seems to be stealth focused , which killed my focus. I need a break from Dark Souls, though. Will be playing it this week.

Kids are really into Kirby right now. They watch Kirby, Right Back at Ya! on Youtube, then want me to play the game. Game has a lot of boss fights. Between this and DkS, 2014 seems to be a year for boss fights.
The Dark Priestess
One Of Many Accounts

Post by The Dark Priestess »

Cryptoplasty wrote:Just make good games people. Games that are played with a controller, or a mouse an keyboard. Do it without fucking the consumer in the nose. That's all it takes guys. These fad devices will always fail.
I need a 'Like' button for this!

No matter how good the imaging is, I still consider this just a more advanced Virtual Boy. I thought that was a gimmick then and I think this is a gimmick now. I get irritated just wearing 3D glasses once in a great while for a couple hours to watch a movie. There's no way I'd want to play a full-length game or do other lengthy or frequent activities with even something like those, much less this bigger clunkier thing strapped to my face. Get back to me when you invent immersive holo-technology free of bulky wearable gear. In the meantime, just make good gimmick free games!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Did a little spring cleaning about the house and decided to go through the stack of DVDs that were hidden away in the bed room. :shock: Metriod Other M :?: :!: :?:

Where the hell did this come from? This had to have been here for years. Is this a sign? Is this a trick?