The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Wang Mandu »

The cocks and fucks come from soldiers and poor people in the game....kind of like how it is irl? The mature aspect of the plot doesn't come from the language and nudity, it's the social issues in the world, the story expects you to pay attention, there aren't any retarded Evil/Good/Paragon/Renegade decisions like in Infamous or Mass Effect...it's all morally gray. That doesn't happen too often in video game stories outside of Obsidian and CDPR. Curse words most definitely did exist in medieval times so that criticism is reaching a tiny bit.....at least they never threw in a Sir Mix A Lot reference like in Dragon Age 2. Speaking of which, that new DA3 trailer looks cool but the writing, characters and plot are hilariously awful. The chosen one, again? Bioware seriously needs to hire new writers.
james wrote:I know this is retarded but I stopped playing the original Witcher after the first sex scene with the redhead whateverthefuck in the tower.
Pretty sure you don't have to have sex with anyone in the game. They went overboard with it a bit in the first game with the sexual options and the cards but again, and reviewers completely misunderstood the point or didn't do their research, it's part of the lore from the original stories. Witchers are mutants, freaks and outcasts but their physical prowess and sterility is well known.

Edit: And stop reading reviews, people. :lol: They either never finish the game, are paid off, or can't write for shit.
Last edited by Wang Mandu on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

My number one complaint about this game is the UI. It is absolutly terrible. It's literally the worst UI I have ever seen in any game ever.

If they improve some of my complaints in the Witcher 3, I may be interested in playing it. I really like the setting, story, etc.....but I feel spoiled after playing the Bethesda games. Not saying that the Witcher 3 should be like Skyrim, but they could learn some lessons.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:at least they never threw in a Sir Mix A Lot reference like in Dragon Age 2.
There are also pop culture references, though, and it's pretty stupid. Totally agree about the swearing, though. Just because every Tolkien character talked like a nun who bathed in hand sanitizer every day doesn't mean other fantasy franchises can't be a bit closer to historical medieval settings. I think people also completely misunderstand the "sexualization" of a lot of the female characters - it never seems to me like the game is saying any of this is okay, it's a depiction of what happens to women in uncivilized circumstances such as the world of these games, and that still happens in a lot of places in the real world.

(Here comes Ross'n Ross. Maybe I should stop. But I really think people are selling the writing in these games short if they think it's juvenile because there's tits and swearing. No, that doesn't make it inherently mature, but it also doesn't automatically make it immature.)
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Cryptoplasty wrote:My number one complaint about this game is the UI. It is absolutly terrible. It's literally the worst UI I have ever seen in any game ever.

If they improve some of my complaints in the Witcher 3, I may be interested in playing it. I really like the setting, story, etc.....but I feel spoiled after playing the Bethesda games. Not saying that the Witcher 3 should be like Skyrim, but they could learn some lessons.
No doubt. As much of a fanboy as I am of these games, they're far from flawless. It's definitely a terrible UI but I think most games have terrible UIs. :lol:

The new game is going to be open world, bigger than Skyrim, much better animation and combat feedback than previous games (TW2 had something like 20-25 combat animations while TW3 has 90+), sides quests will have lasting effects, and numbers are always bullshit when it comes to game time but they're saying roughly 50 hours main quest and 50 hours for most if not all sidequests for one playthrough.

Skyrim is a great game and Bethesda is one of the top world building studios around but they have always been shit with designing a meaningful main plot and combat that doesn't get stale after 10-20 hours. I'm hoping TW3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition will be successful and light a fire under their asses to get motivated for the next Fallout and Elder Scroll games.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

the witcher 2 isn't perfet, but still awesome. wtf :confused: :confused: :confused:
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

anyone who has battlefield bad company 2 for PC should reinstall it and get down. add me! my name, predictably, is canon.docre.
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

guardianoftheblind wrote:the witcher 2 isn't perfet, but still awesome. wtf :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yeah, don't forget this game is far from having a AAA budget.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

It seems like people at traditional game review sites are starting to realize they're going to need to get real jobs soon because everyone is flocking to Twitch, which already has people with huge established viewer bases and early access to games. I hope Giant Bomb and GamesRadar are the only ones who survive. Maybe Game Informer too cause they seem like nice guys.

RIP 'games journalism.'
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!

Post by valgalder »

someone I know recently sold Donkey Kong Country 2 on ebay.. and:

Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Hitman Absolution isn't bad. I mean, I've never any Hitman game before this, so I have no comparison point.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:Hitman Absolution isn't bad. I mean, I've never any Hitman game before this, so I have no comparison point.
Keep playing. You'll grow to hate it.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

absolution is fine. or like half of it is anyway. there's probably 6 good stages in there.

speaking of, that ios Hitman game is actually kind of awesome. i'm pretty good at puzzles so i've kind of crushed the game so far (on the 4th tier right now), but it's so stylish and cool that i don't care.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gcLUJ1JwlI<
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Dropped by the Bioware forum today because I have a vague curiosity about the new Dragon Age game. They've changed everything. And the BW logo looks like this now:

Haha,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:(
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Uhhhh, that's how it's looked for years as far as I know.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Who needs Bioware when you've got Larian, Obsidian, CDPR, From Software, Inxile, Harebrained Schemes, Warhorse Studios and 50% of the time Bethesda making rpgs.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

From's just been bought out, apparently.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Dear Hitman Absolution,

I don't think this is going to work. I know the tired but true phrase "It's not you, it's me" is cliched, but rest assured, it's not the full case. It's a little you. I thought we could continue as some sort of third person shooter, but you aren't built that way, are you? That isn't what you were meant for. Your a stealth game primarily. And I'm not really a stealth guy. You're good looking (although, I noticed that the girl in the game looks like yet another Ellen Paige. Fuck Ellen Paige! She isn't really hot, nor does she look like the a-typical teenage girl. Enough!!). Your story, The Professional as written by Quentin Tarantino, was fine. Audio? Sure, you had sound. What you didn't have was my attention. Not at the end. I just didn't care enough to have to follow around three different mobsters in a crowd without causing a commotion or blood bath. Actually, I'm fine with a blood bath, but as we know, you aren't built to be a third person shooter. So, it's mostly my fault for thinking I could spend time with a game that was mostly a stealth game, and wasn't named Metal Gear. But, you could have been a lot better, and kept my attention. Goodbye.

Dear Syndicate,

Thank you for last night. It was actually fun. That said, you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. And quite frankly, I think you're a liar. I thought you were going to be a Dues Ex. But you're really just a Project: Snowblind. Snowblind that's bred with Call of Duty, no less. Yet, you are a looker. Well, a looker with a damn strange obsession with bloom, HDR, and lens flares. Actually, you need to calm that shit down. If I'm blinded by a glowing wall for no damn good reason, then something is wrong here. And how damn generic is your story so far? Cyberpunk "magic" feels gimmicky as all hell. Shit! You really are just the typical linear 2K FPS with unfortunate modern influences, a tacked on upgrade system, and a dull story. It's okay, though, I like FPS and I'm much more tolerant of them. I think I'll see you to the end, even if you aren't really worth my time.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:Dear Hitman Absolution,

(...) you could have been a lot better, and kept my attention. Goodbye.
Yeah, but don't listen to me or anything.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:
The Bill wrote:Dear Hitman Absolution,

(...) you could have been a lot better, and kept my attention. Goodbye.
Yeah, but don't listen to me or anything.
Yes, you did. You told me to keep playing till I hated it. I never actually hated it, mind you. It's just not for me.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

"Hate it" was kind of an overstatement anyway, tbh. I didn't hate it either, but I went from really liking it in the beginning to having to take a break from it for months because I was so sick of it. And when I did finally finish it I just felt sorta lukewarm about it.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=1

supposedly these are screenshots from a From/Japan Studio developed PS4 exclusive called Project Beast.

let's just say it looks... familiar. :bean:

EDIT: and in January on GAF, someone mentioned how excited they'd be about Demon's Souls 2, and demonite, who's supposedly a Sony employee and the person who first said Miyazaki was working on a new project when Dark Souls 2 was in development, said, "it will be a whole different beast." seems legit
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:shock:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Shotgun :awesome:
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

I'm okay with that... honestly I don't even care if it turns out not to be a Souls game. I'd be fine with them mixing things up at this point. it looks like it's in the same vein regardless, and I've got complete faith in Miyazaki. it's been in development for two-ish years now and people have pieced together that it has most of the A team from Demon's and Dark Souls 1, so it's going to be fucking sweet for sure.