Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by The Real MPD »

Beware the Slenderman - 8.5

dad revelation...

CAT AND DANCING BURNING DUCK.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

I started the Amazing Spider Man. The kids were really confused that it wasn't the same actors from the other spider man movie. The kept hassling me about it, so I turned the thing off. They cried and cried.

I really don't understand spiderman's origin story. They filmed the same story again, and made it just as stupid. I bet the next remake, he'll see someone drop gum on the floor and not say anything and that person will kill uncle ben.
Image Certified Poster
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

beware the slenderman 7/10 this was definitely worth a watch - might need more time to ruminate, but I'm curious about fvbtvs' top 10 revelations
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
one thing I thought about: if either of those stabby SM proxy wannabe chicks were on this forum, we'd definitely be like "oh yeah you definitely have to kill someone". there have been a LOT of mentally ill people on here and we usually just pick on them or try and coax them into being as terrible as possible for our amusement :shock:

but the chicks in this movie are in a totally different situation - they just got on board with a fairy tale and were also crazy... nobody was really egging them on outside their duo. the parents didn't seem too irresponsible beyond the glaring dad issue.
The Real MPD wrote:CAT AND DANCING BURNING DUCK.
:cheers:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i dont know. i just see the churning horrible energetic ocean of life in it even though as a piece of media it has its flaws. i didnt know anything about the story until i saw it (other than the bullshit sensationalized internet take about it)

i guess i'd hesitate too much to talk about it in any strenuous detail on the board but its a subject matter that is close to me and i didn't know the movie would be about that. the whole thing is pretty heartbreaking and beautiful if you ask me. i think theres something essential about it in the way that paradise lost was in the 90s. this is more about a secret world and paradise was about being singled out as an outsider and the cascade of events thats comes for it. the idea that the dad was also touched wasn't really even a surprise in the slightest despite the fact that the film revealed it like a surprise.

and the frankly boring but undeniable idea that 'internet' and 'devices' are the natural environment for young people and there's nowhere 'safe' to go back to anymore. their brains are formed along side this other weird dimension of the internet and all its influences. they're mutants. the dad of the other girl, after everything he's been through, doesn't have the balls to jsut say his son can't have an ipad? what the fuck dude? to me that just makes Varg look like dad of the year right there. also relevant is that post someone made about being a kid and coping with life through heavy metal and drugs instead of the internet.

when i was about that age we had a myth about White Pants and White Pants was a strange lurker like the slenderman and you could always see him in the corner of your eye if you looked hard enough. from 7 years old to 11 or 12 that shit was 110% real to me
i guess what im really trying to say is that i see it purely as story about two young girls being best friends. and thats it. :cheers:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

got it :tup:

I didn't know anything about it going in, either. it's a pretty sloppy doc art-wise and I think it was actually fighting against a lot of the elements that resonated for you.

like your "white pants" story, my sister (when she was a kid) was terrorized by a nightmare dude who generally fits SM's description. the whole family knew about it. she can't even engage with the SM lore - she's heard of it and then pretty much checks out if the topic comes up :shock:

is it too obvious to bring up heavenly creatures?
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Sworn Virgin - 8.5
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Punch Drunk Love
What's the number for didn't dislike it, but it was weird
Image Certified Poster
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I had to turn Slenderman off it was too depressing.
No Cunting Elves
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Sold - 5.5
Last edited by The Real MPD on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

the thing (1982) - 9

purely fucking great movie I had not seen before. I loved this...

it's good in everyy way

love the ending
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I just finally watched Avatar for the first time, but I'm kinda skeered to discuss it. I'll just say it's not as terrible as I expected.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

you can just PM me :lhug:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:38 pm you can just PM me :lhug:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's just do these two things, quickly. I remember them being discussed but I can't remember who said what and whether they were really about Avatar.

1) "Weight" vs "Cartoon Physics" - I felt Avatar got this right more often than not, though certainly not all of the time. What was your stance on this again?

2) "looking real" as opposed to an intentionally stylized look - they couldn't quite pull off making the CGI stuff photo-realistic, so instead they pulled the live-action shots more towards a somewhat stylized look to make it all match. This, too, worked well for the most part. I thought facial animation was kinda hit or miss - some scenes are surprisingly good, then there are others where the characters have these floaty eyeballs that nobody seems to have figured out how to get rid of.

Overall, for a movie made in 2009, the CGI holds up pretty well for the most part. I also thought, watching it now, it's kind of interesting how much of its aesthetic has influenced other things, especially video games. I didn't realize how much the Lost Planet games borrow from Avatar, for example.

The script though, man, for something that is basically a 3-hour auteur movie (with the budget of a small country's GDP, but still), there sure are a lot of unfinished ideas and things appearing out of nowhere the way you'd usually expect in a writing by committee trainwreck.

But really, let's not. Honest. It's a fun, pretty-looking movie and not as dumb as I thought. I think I initially just ignored it because I tend to do that when all of the talk about a movie focuses on the FX tech and how much it cost to make.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://youtu.be/DTYhFeX7pM4

executive producer of the witch?
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

spacehamster wrote:1) "Weight" vs "Cartoon Physics" - I felt Avatar got this right more often than not, though certainly not all of the time. What was your stance on this again?
totally agreed that this was largely well-executed. the weighless CGI shit is one of my biggest pet peeves of recent action cinema, and it often intersects with another hate of mine: the teeming hordes of baddies. I think Avatar benefitted from doing a ton of motion capture, which forced the physics to be "right", and then keeping most of the all-CGI stuff totally alien or mechanical (human vehicles). I think JC just has a good critical eye for the finished product and makes sure stuff is right before it's included.
spacehamster wrote:2) "looking real" as opposed to an intentionally stylized look - they couldn't quite pull off making the CGI stuff photo-realistic, so instead they pulled the live-action shots more towards a somewhat stylized look to make it all match. This, too, worked well for the most part. I thought facial animation was kinda hit or miss - some scenes are surprisingly good, then there are others where the characters have these floaty eyeballs that nobody seems to have figured out how to get rid of.
I have an anecdote about this. at a party I happened to meet a dude who worked on the movie for a few months, and I was surprised to learn that all he did during that time was adjust the color timing & shading, effectively "lighting" the scene in post (sometimes blending real-world and CGI). and it was only a few scenes. I bring this up because the most memorable thing the guy had to share was that on avatar, they were not striving to recreate reality with the CGI; they were striving to recreate the look of a hollywood movie, which is inherently artificial in a magical, transporting way (happy to re-rant about how this went awry with the hobbit HFR experiment).

as for the facial animation, BTS stuff informs me that they build facial "rigs" (in-computer animatronic framework) for each character and they'd work better the closer the fake face was to the actor's face. So they invested a lot in making the Jake & Neytiri rigs for obvious reasons, and cheated a bit by making the paired faces look more similar. Tsu-tey (rival guy) was easily the most fucked up, and I think it's because they built the rig before the actor was on the project, and they couldn't invest appropriately to tighten it up. I didn't notice the floaty eyeballs per se, but I agree that there's a lot of wonky stuff scattered throughout. there's also a learning curve on display: the scenes they completed early (jake & netyiri meet in the glo-woods) is more rudimentary than the stuff they completed last (jake honor-killing tsu-tey in the most homoerotic way possible, which is only in the longer cuts of the movie). so I presume the sequels will be more consistent/quality since they've had like a decade to work out the facial rig issue
spacehamster wrote:Overall, for a movie made in 2009, the CGI holds up pretty well for the most part. I also thought, watching it now, it's kind of interesting how much of its aesthetic has influenced other things, especially video games. I didn't realize how much the Lost Planet games borrow from Avatar, for example.
the movie's visuals basically suck on a 2D HDTV. it was a totally engrossing & transporting experience when I saw it in theaters (all in 3D IMAX except once in just 3D) and it hasn't been the same at home.

the lost planet comparison reminds me of one of my favorite internet rage moments: when I saw someone claim that Avatar ripped off the human tech from StarCraft (which clearly borrowed heavily from Aliens/T2 among other stuff)

kind of a fun design trend that you may have already noticed: JC is in love with the shape of an apache helicopter's cockpit. it's the basis for the flying HKs in terminator world, for the dropship in Aliens, and for the head of the ikran in Avatar.
spacehamster wrote:The script though, man, for something that is basically a 3-hour auteur movie (with the budget of a small country's GDP, but still), there sure are a lot of unfinished ideas and things appearing out of nowhere the way you'd usually expect in a writing by committee trainwreck.
what ideas seem unfinished? I've probably head-canon'd most if it now so I have zero perspective. there's also 3 cuts and even more deleted scenes, bringing total content up to a bloated 4 hours. they even did a vision quest scene where jake gets high with the natives and finds his spirit animal :|
spacehamster wrote:But really, let's not. Honest. It's a fun, pretty-looking movie and not as dumb as I thought. I think I initially just ignored it because I tend to do that when all of the talk about a movie focuses on the FX tech and how much it cost to make.
the theatrical 3D experience lived up to every bit of the hype. it was a new high in immersion etc. and it really felt like a 2.5 hour vacation. the movie dropped when I had just completed my PhD and was basically off work at the heart of winter in dreary Ohio, so it was like experiential crack.

one thing people trash it for is its lack of "cultural impact". OK, so it's not packed with pop culture references and its marketing didn't churn out quite as many plastic toys as it might have - I can live with this diss. but I do sort of feel like... and this is dangerously un-cynical of me to say: I feel like the upshot of all the borderline tasteless "noble savage" stuff in the movie is that it planted some seed that contributed at least a tiny little bit to the DAPL resistance that has become waaaaay broader than I might've expected to considering how comfortable US people have historically been about natives being shit on. maybe that's overselling the movie's impact, but it's a pretty clear parallel between the movie and the IRL situation. could just be people's childhood viewings of ferngully, too...
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Chad I can't believe you'd bever seen The Thing

Try this again

Cartel Land - 6/10
John Wick 2 - 6/10
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

riley-o wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 pmyou'd bever
:fonz:

The Tribe (2016) - 3.5
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:57 pm kind of a fun design trend that you may have already noticed: JC is in love with the shape of an apache helicopter's cockpit. it's the basis for the flying HKs in terminator world, for the dropship in Aliens, and for the head of the ikran in Avatar.
Hadn't noticed, but that's probably because I've loved that cockpit shape ever since I was a kid too. It's kind of funny, in general, how the marines in this one are really almost exactly the same as in Aliens. Down to the badass Latino chick, the weasely corporate guy in charge and Ripley calling them all idiots.
what ideas seem unfinished?
This is exactly what I wanted to avoid, but you knew I couldn't resist. Sigh. Okay then. I saw something called the "Extended Cut" which clocks in at about 3 hours. A cursory look at IMDB would seem to indicate that's the longest version? Anyway, here are my complaints, all of which I'm sure were already discussed a million times circa 2010.

Why is the idea of the trees on Pandora forming a neural network introduced and discarded so quickly? This seems to be core to Cameron's world-building (which is obviously the actual point of the movie), but nothing is done with it, except:

If it's the excuse/explanation for the planet turning on the marines at the end, but that seems totally unnecessary because the only thing that really happens is a bunch of those hammerhead elephant things knock a few mechs around, and the rest is really all Sam Worthington and the shovel-headed rainbow dragon.

Speaking of the shovel-headed rainbow dragon, despite attempts to set this up earlier with a few lines of dialogue from Neytiri, it still doesn't make any sense. If the bond between a hunter and one of those flying things is for life, why can Jake just decide to bond with another one? Also, this is obviously not the same dragon-thing as generations ago because that one's skull is on display under the home-tree, so what is it? Some particular species? Its reincarnation? Why is it important, other than the fact that the Na'vi somehow believe it is?

Which brings me to all the spiritual stuff - it reads as though Cameron couldn't quite make up his mind as to how much of it can be explained with sci-fi pseudoscience and how much is actually meant to be spiritual, it's all just sort of half explained and then abandoned.

Why does everything on Pandora have a tentacle USB plug?

Why do all the named Na'vi characters suddenly have throat microphones at the end? Where did the machine gun come from? How does Neytiri know about the pods in the lab and how to save Jake's life? It's like all of a sudden, all these characters have human equipment and understand how everything works, just because it's somehow convenient for the plot. The scene with Neytiri and Jake-in-human-form coming face to face was actually kind of powerful, but the way it's set up completely deflates it. She just knows he's in there, and that he needs an oxygen mask because, uh, plot armor! Next sploshun!

And finally, the movie is three hours long, the first half of which is basically exposition and montage, and it still somehow fails to explain the basic premise of why the humans are on Pandora. Why are there space anthropologists? Are they anthropologists or biologists (anthropologists don't take plant samples, biologists don't teach English - what's the goal here)? Why did they try to teach the Na'vi English? Was there originally some sort of peaceful mission here that got swept under the rug once the unobtanium (lol) deposits were discovered? Why isn't this just explained with a few embittered lines of dialogue from not-Ripley? Who's in charge of the mining operation, the government or a private contractor? If it's the latter, why are there marines there? The voice-over actually briefly addresses this and only makes it more confusing. And why do they need the avatar tech in the first place? Someone claims at some point that it's to gain the Na'vi's trust and that seems to be super-important if they're willing to track down someone's alcoholic failure twin brother just to pilot one of these things, but they dress like humans and the Na'vi all immediately know that they're not "real", so, uh... what was the point of that again? I mean, I understand the kid fantasy at the heart of it, but for fuck's sake, come up with a better explanation if you're going to include it in your movie.

Oh shit, look at this fucking post. I think I had more, but I'm gonna stop now if that's okay. I actually wanted to say that it's kind of nice that James Cameron got to make this movie. It's obviously his dream project and something he cares about a lot, and while I don't hate Michael Bay as much as everyone else, I certainly prefer the Terminator/Aliens guy getting to spend a quarter billion dollars on realizing an idea based on a dream his mom once had to the fifteenth soulless, plot-less Transformers movie. So there's that.

Ugh. Sorry. I'm done. Honest.
Liam Spengler
git help.

Post by Liam Spengler »

Koyaanisqatsi - 9
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:tup: mike - wrote you back in the avatar thread
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Romance - 4.5
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

fuck you Brian
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Trumped: Inside the Greatest Political Upset of All Time - 7.5
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

The lady in the water - one of the worst movies ive ever seen in my entire life. Top 3 easily
The Hustler- 7
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

hateful 8 - 9/10. foolish mistake to wait this long to see it
formerly ghost boner