black sabbath

Music posts are a bannable offense.
kevin hash
Better at internetting than you.

Re: black sabbath

Post by kevin hash »

That whole album slays. Wish Iommi and Martin could tour that whole album.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

my hound dog's dump still hot - zerohero
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

It absolutely does! It's brand fucking new to me - I always thought 90s Sabbath was a wasteland.
It seems like they don't want to acknowledge the Tony Martin era at all nowadays, which is nuts.
It's nothing like the lame other-singer albums by Maiden or Priest.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:24 am It absolutely does! It's brand fucking new to me - I always thought 90s Sabbath was a wasteland.
It seems like they don't want to acknowledge the Tony Martin era at all nowadays, which is nuts.
It's nothing like the lame other-singer albums by Maiden or Priest.
All the Tony Martin era stuff is top shelf.

All those albums need the remaster / bonus tracks / and vinyl treatment.

I think I like "The Eternal Idol" better than any of the stuff they did with Dio.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

godofdeadlydeath
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:58 pm
FVBTVS wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:35 pm black

sabbath
FOREVER
godofdeadlydeath wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:03 am I went to The End tour and it was the best show I've ever seen them do. I'd previously seen them at Ozzfests 99, 2004 and 2005, and Ozzy sounded his best at the 2015 (16?) show I went to. And 13 has really held up as a solid album all the way through. Sure, it reeks of that Rick Rubin telling them "Just make a song that sounds like this old song of yours" production style that he did on Death Magnetic, but with Sabbath it really worked. "Age of Reason" and "Live Forever" are probably in my top 15 Sabbath songs of all-time.

They didn't play anything from 13 on The End tour, which was probably my biggest complaint. I ended up seeing them play pretty much the same songs all 4 times I saw them live. I think "Hand of Doom" was the only song on The End tour I hadn't seen in previous shows.
Good shit man!

I get the comparison to Death Magnetic, but I think 13 is miles MILES better. Death Magnetic was barely a rehab in my opinion, I honestly was bored as shit by that. The structure was back to working order, but it was just limp... and I'm not as forgiving for Metallica's vocals as I am for Ozzy. There were a few spots on DM where I could really clearly hear autotune-like pitch correction, which is just fucking jarring for Metallica... Ozzy is so fucked up and old that I just accept processing on his voice, I guess.
I agree completely. Ozzy has been multitracking and pitch-correcting his vocals since the mid-80s so hearing it on a Sabbath record wasn't really that jarring. I have come to like Death Magnetic less and less over time, and prefer Hardwired... To Self-Destruct overall to DM. 13 feels way more lively and well-constructed.
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://soundcloud.com/mthomassteele
kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

Enough Ozzy talk....

Let's talk Tony Martin who doesn't have to dress up his vocals.

"Cross Purposes" is another ass kicking sabbath album.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I spun Cross Purposes as background music for a few days but didn't get a chance to really concentrate on it. I went in for Tyr first, which I think was a mistake.
Cross Purposes will be my homework for the rest of the day.

Thanks for reading,
James "Sticky Pecker" Bit Alien
BUSINESS
Gear in the Machine

Post by BUSINESS »

Cross Purposes is totally underrated.

I'm partial to that album since it's the first Black Sabbath album I listened to and made a dub of.

godofdeadlydeath

I gotta dig into the non-Dio, non-Ozzy stuff more. I have Born Again and I like it a lot but never gave much else a chance.

godofdeadlydeath

BUSINESS wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:48 pm Cross Purposes is totally underrated.

I'm partial to that album since it's the first Black Sabbath album I listened to and made a dub of.

Checking this now. Did not expect double-bass drums on a Sabbath song but it works. Tony Martin has a killer voice too.

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

godofdeadlydeath wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Checking this now. Did not expect double-bass drums on a Sabbath song but it works. Tony Martin has a killer voice too.

Found this on youtube the other day... 6:40 is obviously not double bass but its pretty close :lol:
godofdeadlydeath

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Found this on youtube the other day... 6:40 is obviously not double bass but its pretty close :lol:

I've seen this one many times :lol: Ward looks like he's doing a blast beat when you watch that with the sound off.

kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

BUSINESS wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:48 pm Cross Purposes is totally underrated.

Iommi and Martin are a great team. Hope they do some new collaborations in the future.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

Plus Geezer is in the mix on "Cross Purposes" which adds to the radness.

Bobby Rondinelli is a solid drummer.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

I just remembered that Glenn Hughes was on "Seventh Star" another underrated album.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

godofdeadlydeath

I jumped around on some random tracks on Youtube from the Hughes/Martin eras and Iommi really cannot write bad riffs, can he? Even his solo album, I didn't like a lot of the guest vocalists, but the riffs are always there. It's too bad this stuff is so slept-on because it doesn't reach the insane heights of the Dio and Ozzy eras, but there's a lot of greatness to be discovered.

Anyone read Iommi's autobiography? I read it a while back and really enjoyed it. It's pretty dry like his sense of humor but I want to revisit it now having listened to more of this period.

kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

Yeah I have the book. Pretty decent read.

Iommi shits killer riffs.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I'm working through it now! About halfway done - a few pages a night, before bed.
Immediately before this, I read Ozzy's autobiography - which was pretty good, although it fell off the rails towards the end, became repetitive.

It's cool to see the same stories told from two different perspectives. I'm sure Ozzy's book, if not both of them, were partially ghost-written; I wouldn't be suprised if bits of Ozzy's were a bit punched up, to give them more narrative structure. Tony's anecdotes seem very very short and understated by comparison.. he has this weird way of conveying information, like..

"People don't do that these days. But back then, they did. So there you have it."
"Early on, I didn't play like that. But then I learned the trick. So now I do."
"Geezer was playing the wrong riff. I said, 'That's the wrong riff!' and he said, 'I though it was the right one!' And I said, 'No, it's the wrong one.'"

Every night, I screenshot some example of it on my phone... I'll have to drag those onto my desktop and post them, they're really fucking funny when you see them all in a row.
godofdeadlydeath

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 pm I'm working through it now! About halfway done - a few pages a night, before bed.
Immediately before this, I read Ozzy's autobiography - which was pretty good, although it fell off the rails towards the end, became repetitive.

It's cool to see the same stories told from two different perspectives. I'm sure Ozzy's book, if not both of them, were partially ghost-written; I wouldn't be suprised if bits of Ozzy's were a bit punched up, to give them more narrative structure. Tony's anecdotes seem very very short and understated by comparison.. he has this weird way of conveying information, like..

"People don't do that these days. But back then, they did. So there you have it."
"Early on, I didn't play like that. But then I learned the trick. So now I do."
"Geezer was playing the wrong riff. I said, 'That's the wrong riff!' and he said, 'I though it was the right one!' And I said, 'No, it's the wrong one.'"

Every night, I screenshot some example of it on my phone... I'll have to drag those onto my desktop and post them, they're really fucking funny when you see them all in a row.
Tony's ghostwriter seemed to just transcribe whatever Tony told him verbatim, instead of trying to make some sort of narrative theme out of it. It reads like one long Tony Iommi interview, which I love. I'd love to see the screenshots you picked out.

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

5:10 rules!!! Good idea!!

I love Black Sabbath so fucking much.
Fall time is 70s rock time for me. Usually the later Ozzy Sabbath albums, and Rush.

I don't have anything interesting to say. Sorry! fuck you
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

This is such a retardedly fucking awesome song. The shit starting just aroubd 3:15 does weird chemistry to my whole nervous system

This track is probably the basis for that entire uncle acid deadbeat band???

Also I think Ozzy reused the vocal melody around 4:00 for the soft part in "Dont ask me" (nobody ever told me, I found out for myself...)
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

4:45 onward jesus fucking christ man. The best who ever did it, for me

Nice tits throughout the video btw :putin