The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by FVBTVS »

super mario 64 chaos edition looks the greatest video game ever made :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Pisscubes wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:WANT. ME.
Done and done.
You RULE dude, thanks. I'm on a major D&D tear for the last year and something like Baldur's Gate sounds like just the fuel my destructive taple-top tendency needs. :lhug:
No problem. It's a bunch of Fallout / BaldursGate / Icewind Dale / rpg nerd devs unleashed from the shackles of publishers so I expect nothing short of an amazing game. That and I am pretty happy I helped keep Obsidian alive. The lore is really deep and the stats aren't nearly as complicated as THACO -1 roll 3d4 to hit. Plus, there are quite a few choose your own adventure screens that pop up when exploring that I think you will enjoy. It is going to be a massive game.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Rumors are Kojima is going to leave Konami along with a ton of other top level people. RIP Konami lol
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I don't know. Whenever one of these well known dudes/teams leave their established corporate umbrella to do their own thing it never seems like they ever recapture lightning in a bottle.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

He is Konami. You are right because one guy doesn't make a great game, especially these days. It sounds more like a bunch of suited up kikes are the reason for the departure.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

he's being forced out. he and his entire team have been removed from being full time employees and have been made contractors. Kojima is out after MGS5 ships. Silent Hills will be made without him. konami literally just axed the people responsible for 25% of their entire revenue stream

also Yakuza Zero is excellent
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Crazy! Forgot about the Silent Hill thing too. gg Konami lol.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

in the last year, Konami has forced out the people behind Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid, and Love Plus. That is every marketable title they sell except for Pro Evo Soccer.

Igarashi wanted to make his own Castlevania style games on his own but couldn't get the backing and is now working in phone game hell :(

the japanese game industry is fucking dire, man
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

copstache wrote:in the last year, Konami has forced out the people behind Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid, and Love Plus. That is every marketable title they sell except for Pro Evo Soccer.

Igarashi wanted to make his own Castlevania style games on his own but couldn't get the backing and is now working in phone game hell :(

the japanese game industry is fucking dire, man

:lol:
Seems like such a weird business move when you have a huge title like MGSV and a Silent Hill reboot (with people actually excited for it) coming up. Something bad must have gone down.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:Crazy! Forgot about the Silent Hill thing too. gg Konami lol.
FUCK!

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about it scaring me anymore.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I've played this game again just recently, and

a) I'm not seeing a difference in the footage
b) It was actually kind of shocking how good it still looks, and it really doesn't need a remaster.

Pretty retarded.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Odds are, I'll buy it anyway.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I'm a pretty huge GoW fanboy but fuck off. Of all the games that don't need it.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Haha, Sony, you glorious money grubbing bastards. I am shocked, SHOCKED, that Microsoft hasn't hit us with Gears of War and Fable HD Remasters.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote: It's very sad Igarashi couldn't get any backing. Why can't a mid-size company pick him up and get him to design something? I think it would be well worth the risk. Give him a Demon's Souls budget and take a chance on him.
It's always possible that there's something about him we don't know, so companies have stayed away. Come on, though. 2K Games goes outside the box a bit, they wouldn't want a Symphony of the Night under their belt? Eh, what do I know about big business anymore? They seem to make money despite themselves.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

the possibility of a neutered, or even nonexistent, Silent Hill(s) is too much for me to bear. after playing/suffering through PT, it was BY FAR my most anticipated far-off-in-the-distant-future game.

this whole Kojima thing seems like another step towards the annihilation of AAA gaming as most of us have known it for most of our lives. how many big games (AAA games that aren't remakes or FTP) are even scheduled to be released this year? I honestly think these are the end times for that sort of thing. Maybe a dozen big games a year that studios increasingly depend on for the bulk of their revenues, and disappointment and corporate existential crises when those games don't sell 5+ million copies. how the fuck did we get here? I feel like this right now:

copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

it's a weird situation where it's one of the best times to be a game consumer but worst to be a developer. there are so many games of so many genres available now that people can find their niche and just live in it. like, why do I care about the next Call of Duty when I can play any one of like 10 cheap, good XCOM clones? big developers should be making smaller games (and more of them) instead of just chucking all their resources at something that everybody will just forget after a month. Remember Titanfall?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I dunno, guys, we've been predicting the death of AAA games for years now. Mobile gaming was going to kill them, Facebook games were going to kill them, Wii party games were going to kill them, EA being Satan incarnate was going to kill them.

What's kind of odd is how big titles keep coming out in essentially broken state on day 1. Logic would seem to dictate that if you want to rake in the casulbux, you have to give the casuls a product that doesn't cause them headaches. I really don't understand how the math works out there. Obviously it's cheaper to dump a broken game on the market and then abandon it after two half-hearted patches, but you'd think the hit they take in sales once the word gets out that the game's broken would be more than the money they save by not properly testing. But since this keeps happening, it must be profitable.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The thing is, though, if that change is coming, I just wonder who's going to do it. The Souls series has been around for six years now, proving that you can build a successful franchise with a fraction of the budget of a COD game (I'm assuming, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption) if you have a game that's actually good. CDPR have been around for years, pretty much always doing the opposite of what the big companies do, and it's working. But nobody seems to have learned much from these examples. Large corporations don't change their business practices, and they have enough resources to force smaller competition out of the market if need be.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

I think you guys have it skewed a bit. Sure, everyone here thinks that COD games suck and even credible review sites, but that doesn't mean that the general public thinks that. Those games still sell like hotcakes. Just because a reviewer says it's boring doesn't mean that your general game-buying EA fan thinks that. Even Assassin's Creed: Unity, as big a PR disaster as could be shipped 10 million copies.

Also, I dunno why Titanfall has become the poster-boy for failed AAA titles since it was not a failure by any stretch of the imagination, it was Respawn's first game and people continue to play it today, over a year after it's release. Yesssss, it "only" moved 975k in it's first month of sales, but that is not nothing. Respawn Entertainment has less than 100 employees and From Software (Dark Souls) has over 230. Valve has shifted away from games (their last title is Dota 2 from 2013) and into other things like their competitions and Steam.

It's like predicting the collapse of the music industry. There's a lot of labels that have folded up over time, but there's been just as many bedroom labels that have sprouted up in the meantime. I also don't see Universal hurting for cash, etc., etc. and so on and so forth.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

I really don't have any better insight into this at all, other than just being an avid reader of game blogs and magazines.

But you're right. Something will have to change at some point. Right now we're in the shaming phase and I don't think that has had much effect other than that games are getting pushed back more often and more publicly these days. I think the next phase is already sorta here. The early release games under the beta flag are about as shitty a way to make your business look open and honest while still providing basically broken software to paying customers.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Yeah, right now there's no reason for them to switch the model, because they're still selling fine. But you're also right that there's a certain kinda game that just buys those two games and nothing else. I remember talking about it with our vocalist and telling him how I was l playing something like Tropico or some other thing and he, being a COD-only kinda guy, was just like "Fuck that."

There's a lotta people out there that only eat at McDonald's and they do it every day.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

So Friday I got home, fiddled with Oblivion modding again, got the game looking real pretty for its age and decided to start a new game. Then BLAM! I got really shitty drunk out of nowhere. I remember killing some wolves then being lost inside of an Oblivion realm. Could not get out. Really don't know how I got that drunk that quick, maybe because I was getting over a nasty cold, but I didn't take any medication.

I know Bloodborne is out soon, but I really want to dive into Oblivion being that it looks so damn different after modding it.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Capcom finally released the Resident Evil 5 dlc on PC.......for $15 lol. A six year old game and they want to charge that much. As oppsed to WB when they transitioned from GWFL to Steamworks they gave everyone the GOTY edition I believe. 99% sale or no buy.

Dark Souls II: Sin.... upgrade is $20 on PC if you own all the dlc. Just might bite on that later. First Bloodborne, then Pillars of Eternity.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote: Dark Souls II: Sin.... upgrade is $20 on PC if you own all the dlc.
Yeah, that seems fair. And between that (I've actually never finished the DS2 DLC), Bloodborne and TW3... I don't have to leave the house anymore.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I was torn on DS2 PC vs PS4. I'm going to go Sony just because the track record on PC isn't so hot. Do I really want to wait for someone in the community to fix it? If they fix it?

Was going to give Bloodborne another try, but I got home and decided to fix up any modding mess I made of Oblivion while hammered last week. Installed some cool mod that does away with leveling enemies and makes it more challenging and interesting. Also stapled on more eye candy. Game isn't perfect looking but it sure is pretty. It now looks like vacation resort pictures with a dense rain forest that's gorgeous and menacing at the same it. So, I restarted it just to make sure all was well. You know, just get through the tutorial and explore for five minutes, then I'd put on Bloodborne. SIX HOURS LATER I had to force myself off Oblivion to fold some laundry. Yeah, looks like I'm officially playing through Oblivion now.