Postal address breakdown/ Send back my stamp!

Music posts are a bannable offense.
gabalgabow
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Postal address breakdown/ Send back my stamp!

Post by gabalgabow »

Don’t you think it’s so sad to see all these flyers and fanzines, without a fucking snail mail address ?

Where am I supposed to send my fucking hand written letters?
Don’t ask me to send an email, I’m doing it at work all the day, it’s not really “fun” anymore…

Most of the current fanzines even don’t have postal addresses in the reviews of other fanzines… A lot of the time there’s not even an email, you have to fucking use google to find anything…

Sometimes I feel blocked by a fucking digital barrier… In the 90’s you only needed to take a piece of paper and a pen to get in touch… Now search for the email, or the facebook page, or which other social network is used, hoping it’s still active… And send a fucking text that doesn’t look too stupid, hoping it won’t fall into the void of inactive accounts (Or the void of laziness)
Underground metal webzine/ distro/ tape label:
http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Re: Postal address breakdown/ Send back my stamp!

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
gabalgabow

Post by gabalgabow »

@THE KILL: The same in black and white please :)
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

gabalgabow wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:07 amthe void of inactive accounts (Or the void of laziness)
Because it wasn't possible back then to accidentally use an address that wasn't up to date, or to send someone a letter and never get a reply.

In all seriousness, I don't miss those days at all. It's far easier for bands and people to get in touch now, the only thing that's gotten harder is gatekeeping and labels and other middle-men making money by restricting access to music. I know some people feel like the fact that you can pretty much download or stream anything you want the second you decide you want to hear it has somehow "cheapened" music, but obscurity has never made anything more appealing to me, and I'll never not point and laugh at the nerds who pretend to like shit just because nobody else has heard of it.

Simple example - it took me literal years in the early 90s to track down a copy of Slaugher's "Strappado", which I'd read in some print magazine was a seminal Death Metal record, and when I finally got my hands on it, it turned out to be basically Celtic Frost worship with 80s Thrash vocals and what seemed to be an early iteration of what was later called the "Sunlight Sound". It's cool and I still like Slaughter, but today that would have taken five minutes and the result would have been the same.

The only downside I ever noticed was in the mid-00s when all the babies "discovered" Beherit and thought they'd discovered some legitimate obscure Scandinavian Black Metal classic (note: they weren't legitimate, obscure, or Scandinavian.) That kinda made me wish digital music distribution didn't exist. Other than that, everything's better now. Sorry.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
gabalgabow

Post by gabalgabow »

"everything's better now. Sorry."

So the music released in 2022 is better than it was in the 80's and 90's?

I understand the current metal scene is better for the average listener (Easy access to everything, there's clearly more offer than demand etc), so it might suit 3/4 of the metal peoples or more... But for the activists it tends to be quite shitty under some angles...

I understand 80's and 90's underground was probably not too passionating for the "average metallers" who only had access to a couple of magazines, the bigger releases, but once you moved your ass to get in touch with other zines, bands, tape traders etc... It was much more passionating, and not a lot harder, than it is now.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Facebook replacing paper/ink absolutely sucks. Times change for better and worse, technology changes people, nothing last forever and aging skews perspective dramatically...

I don't pretend that this is some objective truth, but I do feel that "metal as a journey into the obscure and occult" defined the culture, in a way that had a determining effect on the way that the music was created. Once you change those conditions, the experiences and the art left the golden age. Happens with everything eventually.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7