Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by Hunter »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:05 am lately unless a movie reduces me to an emotionally volatile puddle of nothingness they;re basically going straight through me and are forgtten after 24 hrs

#metoo
100% agreed, but I also have a problem where I avoid watching movies that are classics or highly recommended because I feel pressure to stay engaged. I don't want to start a 'good' movie if I'm not in the right mood for it, and will instead watch something where it's not important to focus the entire time. This is an especially potent reaction to movies over 2 hours long.
Necrometer wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:57 pm :lol:
Hunter wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:35 amMy projector is capable of 3D - I don't think they even make 3D TV's anymore. I got a region free blu ray player with 3D capabilities as well, since the PS5 doesn't support it for whatever reason. If you go to hamiltonbook.com and search for 3D blu-rays, there's a bunch of cheap ones... although some, like Pacific Rim, have menus and cover art in Spanish. It's rare that I find newer, non-Marvel/Disney movies in 3D - but I did get Dune ('20) and Blade Runner 2049, which are both pretty incredible.
yeah, I can't remember many other recent 3D movies that are really worth the bother, so maybe you're not missing much. fury road is the last great one I recall (incidentally, that was a conversion)

this is really pushing towards PM territory, but... what kind of glasses, hunter? active?
Yes, they're generic active glasses that need to be recharged after use via USB. They're fairly cheap, considering the market is dying - which is also not a bad reason to buy the 3D blu's right now. Granted, 3D TVs are dead, projectors require a big wall, not many blu ray players support the format anymore... BUT, VR setups are going to be mainstream (when tech makes them small enough) at some point, right? That's how I justify it. :lol:
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I want to hang out at Hunter's house
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Building the Inferno - 7.5
The Tramp and the Dictator - 9
Corruption - 7
The Funhouse - 6
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Green room - 8.5/10. Super punk and metal and is actually a good film!
formerly ghost boner
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Everything everywhere all at once - 9/10. Fuck!
formerly ghost boner
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

A Night in the Show - 10
The Professor - 10
It Might Get Loud - 7.5
Count Yorga, Vampire - 7
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Event horizon - 8.5/10
formerly ghost boner
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Fellowship of the Ring - 6
Two Towers - 7
Return of the King - 5.5
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Face/Off ('97) - 8/10 - I put this one off for a long time - I think it came out around when Cage started taking bad roles and Travolta was still riding Pulp Fiction fame. Whatever reasons kept me away have long since faded, and I wish more John Woo movies were easily accessible.

Fearless Vampire Killers ('67) - 6/10 - I didn't know that Polanski cast himself in a starring role. Hell, I didn't know he was an actor in the first place. Was it good? eh, sure. It was more interesting to me as a piece of history, considering Sharon Tate would be murdered two years later, Polanski's next film was Rosemary's Baby, Bad Brains named a song after it. I might have dug it more if Polanski hadn't raped a 13 year old in Jack Nicholson's house in '77.
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Memory: The Origins of Alien - 8
Crimes of the Future - 8
April Fool's Day - 7.5

Four-Legged Time Bomb - 8.5

The Monster Squad - 6.5
The Bride - 6
Shriek of the Mutilated - 5
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

avatar re-release in 3D IMAX 10/10 ofc
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

of course
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Barbarian - 5
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Foxtrot - 4
Dolls - 6.5
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Rob Zombie’s The Munsters - It’s…. What I mean to write is that… it’s not as venomously putrid as a Rock of Ages or Jack & Jill, but it actually made me think there is something terribly mentally wrong with Mr. Zombie outside the obvious stuff we’ve seen for years. To think someone would take the time and money to create this and not be embarrassed to show it to the public is ponderous. At least Sheri Moon’s “interpretation” of Lily Munster
is so novice that she doesn’t come off so much as a bad actress
as she does an older but attractive prescription drug addict from a parallel yet twisted dimension. I’d hump her in the basement.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

Blonde - 8.5/10
formerly ghost boner
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

Explorers - 6
Emily the Criminal - 7
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

X - 8.5/10
formerly ghost boner
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

The Bill wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:42 pm Rob Zombie’s The Munsters - It’s…. What I mean to write is that… it’s not as venomously putrid as a Rock of Ages or Jack & Jill, but it actually made me think there is something terribly mentally wrong with Mr. Zombie outside the obvious stuff we’ve seen for years. To think someone would take the time and money to create this and not be embarrassed to show it to the public is ponderous. At least Sheri Moon’s “interpretation” of Lily Munster
is so novice that she doesn’t come off so much as a bad actress
as she does an older but attractive prescription drug addict from a parallel yet twisted dimension. I’d hump her in the basement.
What I don't completely understand is how he keeps getting gigs. I absolutely fucking love The Devil's Rejects, and I kept coming back to see his flicks over the years, hoping I'd get another taste of that. Every single time there's a few elements that I enjoy, trapped in a fucking wreck of a movie. Normally, it seems like a director gets like maybe two chances to put out some shit like that before nobody will hire them anymore. Is it like Kevin Smith where he as enough of a fanbase who'll buy anything he does, that the movies are profitable so far despite being shit-shows?

I have to say I really fucking like Rob as a guy, and I keep coming back because I honestly think he's got a cool brain that's capable of magic. I'm not a huge fan of his music either. When he's talking in interviews about monster movies and all the geeky culture surrounding them, I feel powerful dark spiritual energy surrounding him. He obviously needs some kinda editor or producer though, whoever it was who helped craft TDR.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

And yeah it's a point that's been beaten to death, but Sheri fucking sucks. I think with enough takes a competent director could work around her, sometimes she doesn't destroy scenes or dialogue.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I like to come back to King Buzzo's recollection of touring with White Zombie whenever he puts out a new movie.

"Easily the worst touring experience of my entire life was the White Zombie tour we did. I could write a whole book about that infernal bullshit. On the first day of the tour, the first person we met from the entire White Zombie cast and crew was a mullet headed road manager who ended up behaving like a mean version of Cotton Mather. He was a "professional" roadie. Now I have never met a group of people who hate music more than professional roadies, and it is clearly obvious that 99.9 percent of them know nothing at all about music. Nothing. I find this to be quite strange really. It's like someone who works in a bakery knowing nothing about baking. Actually this also extends to most of the bands these guys work for as well, but I pretty much lump all of these bands and crew into one big sewage pit. It's fitting.

Mr. Mullet told us straight up that he was going to see to it that we got fucked over every night PA-wise in order to not piss off his boss, the swollen White Zombie dictator Rob Zombie. And it just went from there. He openly told us that Rob acted a prick to him, and that's how life on the road was going to go for us as well. Perfect. One insane thing after another every day for the whole tour. On one of the few times we actually got a soundcheck, Mr. Mullet came on stage and pulled the plug because Rob was eating and that we were to "shut the fuck up" because he didn't like the "noise."

My instant thought was what the fuck is he eating, a Faberge Egg omelet? I'd been to their catering and it was the same swill they always serve at these horrid rock'n'roll extravaganzas which amounts to nothing more than disgusting macaroni and cheese type garbage and an assortment of what appears to be dead things in jelly. You'd think he'd want some kind of booming symphonic distraction to help disguise the fact that he's eating a big plate of steaming dog shit. Or so you would think….

And the idiocy didn't stop there. Rob did this between song speech every night that consisted of unintelligible talking gibberish delivered in a "heavy metal" guttural grunt, and at some point he inevitably started saying "they said we couldn't do it, they said it couldn't be done." Which I'm guessing is in reference to them surprisingly being able to peddle another million records to their highly gullible brainless fans. I'm not sure why he thought his dull minions needed to know this. Their entire thing was just dumb.

Don't get me wrong, it was all our fault for doing a stupid tour like that in the first place and I certainly can't blame them for that. We accepted the offer! Big mistake on our part but we did learn our lesson as a result of that stupidity. I think it's a bad idea for us to try to sell our band like that. Actually, we believed that then as well, but it was their idea to have us along and for some reason that remains a mystery to me, they paid us pretty well. But those days are over for us. Now, I would rather eat my own shit then do another tour with people who behave like that. Actually if not my own, then who's shit would I eat? That's a good question...."

IMO, he puts out movies that are homages to 70's grindhouse flicks filtered through metal music video aesthetics.

Basket Case 3 ('91) - 7.5/10 - It almost seems like it was an excuse to give practical effects artists work, and the results are pretty amazing. One of the few James Glickenhaus produced bizarre bangers of the early 90s. Henenlotter's last film of that era as well - but he recently made a pretty good documentary about Mike Diana.

Blade ('98) - 7/10 - Feels fresh compared to the slew of Disney Marvel movies that are tonally similar. I think this was released 6 months before the Matrix, and you can tell that pop culture was definitely going through a leather trench coat and sunglasses phase already. Lots of cheese and bad CGI - but also some weird digital effects that still kinda hold up. Udo Kier as head corporate vampire "Dragonetti" was a nice casting choice.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Yeah I recently watched Blade again as well (after over 20 years), and some things were surprisingly cool, like some of the casting, but the longer the film went the worse it got.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - 7,5/10
Takes some time to get going, but then it's quite bonkers. Amazing set design, great atmosphere, some pretty uncomfortable scenes, and a cool ending. It's a pity it apparently bombed at the box office.

Braindead - 10/10
Hadn't watched it in a couple of years and was surprised to see how many ridiculous/ awesome ideas and how much inventive gore is in it. Perfect flow, never a dull moment, everything works so well. It's Peter Jackson's best film, I think.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

https://moviesandmania.com/2022/02/28/f ... r-release/

Simultaneously a gigantic piece of shit and the best thing ever. Belial Bradley crossed with Jason Vorhees and the monsters from “The Boogens” it even has some shitty stop motion for about 12 seconds. Watch if you have 50 minutes of your life to waste.
Ill body
/
Ill will
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Ill body
/
Ill will
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »