James Cameron's AVATAR 2 - now playing in cinema theaters

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - now with more Lorax

Post by Necrometer »

reviews are out - looking shaky so far
This movie has the greatest ratio of zone-out time to narrative comprehension I’ve ever experienced.
guess it's time to break out the wacky tabacky

If wanton destruction punctuated by moments of psychedelic visual splendor and New Age-y philosophizing is your bag, “The Way of Water” provides plenty of value.
:pizza:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

"Old school movie going experience" vs Marvel movies... all I really need to hear.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Necrometer wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:58 am reviews are out - looking shaky so far
I'm confident you're gaslighting now, Ross.

Mr. I-Can't-Look-At-Twitter-But-Still-Somehow-Post-Tweets is also Mr. I-Must-Avoid-Spoilers-At-All-Costs-But-Will-Read-Reviews-And-Watch-Every-Trailer.

Maybe change your name to Hypocrisymeter!
Necrometer wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:58 am guess it's time to break out the wacky tabacky
"If you're not smoking/ingesting heroic amounts of THC for 3D movies, you may as well be watching them on an iPhone."
- David Lynch
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Being excited about upcoming movies and riding the cultural hype-wave is always an act of risk-taking brinksmanship!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

haha exactly

I only saw the first teaser in june - avoiding trailers since then. and my review-skimming is a landmine excursion

when it comes to being civil, i definitely trust film critics more than the entirety of twitter
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Started to watch but stopped bc spoilers

I have no idea when im gonna get a chance to see this fucker. I'm still concerned enough about covid that In sitting here trying to figure out which showing would have the fewest people in the theater. Haven't been to the cinema since 2019!!
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Also, I'm gay!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:19 pm it's barely ok on a tv. I can't even imagine what i'd think of this goofy ass movie if I'd never seen it in massive 3D.
I still hate watching movies in 3D, and I still think it's a gimmick that the media/tech conglomerates pushed because they wanted to get people to buy 3D TVs. That didn't work, and now almost everything's back to 2D. I still watch every Marvel movie in theaters when it comes out, and it's been a long time since I didn't at least have the option of watching them in 2D, on screens just as big as the 3D shows. I can understand movie theaters looking for ways to get people out of the house because they're competing with streaming services (4DX or whatever it's called exists for the same reason), but as far as I'm concerned, it's basically a failed gimmick and back to existing mostly as a sideshow attraction at this point.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i didnt clock any spoilers in the review that werent present in the trailers

kermodes rants around certain types of projects have gotten limp and extremely stale at this point

unless it manages to truly offend him he kinda just phones it in now
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

> This movie has the greatest ratio of zone-out time to narrative comprehension I’ve ever experienced.
> If wanton destruction punctuated by moments of psychedelic visual splendor and New Age-y philosophizing is your bag, “The Way of Water” provides plenty of value.

but also you're worried about spoilers

??
Image Certified Poster
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I'm more worried about people talking during the movie (i should learn how to scold people in na'vi)
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:45 am
Necrometer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:19 pm it's barely ok on a tv. I can't even imagine what i'd think of this goofy ass movie if I'd never seen it in massive 3D.
I still hate watching movies in 3D, and I still think it's a gimmick that the media/tech conglomerates pushed because they wanted to get people to buy 3D TVs. That didn't work, and now almost everything's back to 2D. I still watch every Marvel movie in theaters when it comes out, and it's been a long time since I didn't at least have the option of watching them in 2D, on screens just as big as the 3D shows. I can understand movie theaters looking for ways to get people out of the house because they're competing with streaming services (4DX or whatever it's called exists for the same reason), but as far as I'm concerned, it's basically a failed gimmick and back to existing mostly as a sideshow attraction at this point.
Also, thank god that this 48HFR nonsense didn't catch on, everything looked like shit
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TWENTY FOUR!!!
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

hahaha goddamn is kermode pissed. he should get some contact lenses so he can join THE FUTURE and embrace 3D

NON-SPOILER Avatar 2 technical notes:
• the presentation is so good now compared to 2010, as long as you make it to a laser projector. All "Dolby Cinema" (not just "ATMOS") theaters are laser, and there are a good number of laser IMAX locations. you can check IMAX projector status using this site: look for (or filter for) DL or DL2
• the HFR looks like garbage. it's used way more extensively than it should be, and it's distracting almost every time. I'm really bummed because all sites with a laser projector are also showing HFR - there is no escape. I'm slightly optimistic because I found it less irritating after the first hour - maybe I simply got used to it? if so, does that last? one can only hope. the HFR was applied flawlessly for the re-release, and I wish they were similarly conservative in using it for the sequel.
• the effects are insane, and there are countless times where it just feels like you're watching a documentary of an alien world. BUT there are just so many blue cartoon people, and some of them look hokey, especially when composited into a real set. it's kinda like in person meetings being fine and zoom meetings being fine, but a hybrid meeting is doomed to suck.

VERY-MILDLY-SPOILER-ADJACENT THOUGHTS:
• I thought this movie was a big step down from the first one. lots of people seem to think the opposite, for whatever that's worth. maybe it's because an irrational dislike of the sea & boats ? I think it's a "fellowship of the ring" situation for me. when I saw that movie (not having read any LOTR books) I thought it was really unsatisfying, all buildup and no payoff. I got the same feeling with this one. maybe - like the LOTR trilogy - I'll better appreciate it with more context / in retrospect. apparently Avatar 2+3 were initially a single script, and were split into two movies at some point.
• sort of related, but this is NOT a "sequel" in the sense of Aliens or T2. it's more of a re-launch of a new arc of movies
• I was certain I'd hate the kid characters, but they were probably my favorite part in terms of humanoid characters. it's just hitting me how damning this is, as "praise".
• the creatures looked pretty spectacular, but I would have loved for them to have a bit more personality...
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Thanks for sharing
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

if you're curious what my friend who is a married mother of 2 girls thought
guys!! we saw avatar guys! it was so good. we cried and fist pumped. the audience was packed and everyone clapped at the end. really beautiful, x insisted we see it in imax 3d high frame rate. it was like watching fury road for the first time.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:tup:

I saw this again - first time was dual-laser IMAX and I hated the HFR

this time it was single-laser IMAX and it looked so much better! still HFR, but it was more natural somehow

I popped into the Dolby Cinema across the way (also dual-laser) and I think it was more like my first viewing - although I didn't stay long enough to say for sure

I just came across this great youtube clip of Gemini Man's HFR... it's insane how much this does not resemble an action sequence:
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

It takes the drama and weight out of it, and makes Will seem like a real schlub person and not a movie star; all for completely meaningless reasons, just because I'm accustomed to a particular thing.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I was kind of hoping that Kermode "review" would validate my old-man-yells-at-clouds feelings about 3D movies with his usual pseudo-intellectualizing that he manages to do of absolutely everything, but he's just sitting there with his arms crossed going "nah nah nah". I don't think he's wrong or anything, but he also doesn't make an actual point.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR 2 - now playing ONLY in cinema theaters

Post by Necrometer »

first billion in the bank

not looking like it will make it to 3B (bad exchange rates, sick china, putin-pilled russia) but let's see if it can hit 2B

the latest spiderman was utter garbage and made it to 1.9B so I hope it can do at least that well

- - -

I learned more about the HFR stuff and it seems that your peripheral vision is especially good at picking up motion. so maybe the massive IMAX screen is a detriment since more of the image registers as "peripheral"? I'd endorse single-laser IMAX (smaller screen) and it seems like people are enjoying Dolby Cinema as well (also laser).
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

IMAX in korea, at 2a, january 7 :lol:
Jesus.Fucking.Christ.
Karelian Isthmus

Post by Jesus.Fucking.Christ. »

What if the music videos from Sisters of Mercy took place in the navatar universe.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

0% DROP THIRD WEEKEND

NO FUCKING FATE
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I haven’t been to a theatre to see a new movie since maybe the The Martian in 2015.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road