Cheap meal ideas

Music posts are a bannable offense.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Cheap meal ideas

Post by cxwx »

If you have some frozen pizza of questionable quality and also some old buns or bread lying around that you were about to throw out try the following:

Bake some garlic bread with the frozen pizza. Scrape the toppings onto the garlic bread when everything’s done and throw out the original pizza crust. 9 times out of 10 it will taste far better than whatever shitty dough was used for the pie.
Ill body
/
Ill will
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Cheap meal ideas

Post by hipster holocaust »

Kimchi and hot dogs
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Throwing frozen veggies into the ramen pot
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

I just steal my neighbors dog's eggs
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

hipster holocaust wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:07 am Throwing frozen veggies into the ramen pot
This is the big one, i figure. Throwing frozen broc into the pot, then adding eggs. Throw away that fucking seasoning packet, drain the water (so its not a soup) and use some olive oil and soy sauce. It becomes a halfway decent meal at that point... i guess you might as well use rice instead of ramen, but either way this is some really solid brokefood.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Whee of the Dead wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 am I just steal my neighbors dog's eggs
Almost choked on my coffee
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

I mean it's winter right now and vegetables are a lot more expensive than in summer, but why don't you guys buy garlic, cherry tomatoes, and spaghetti, and make spaghetti alio e olio? If you're feeling fancy, invest in a bottle of decent olive oil (can't be much more than 5 bucks or so) to replace the cheaper oil you possibly have at home. A bittle of olive oil will last you forever if you don't drown everything in the stuff. Or is the clichée about fresh produce being stupidly expensive in the US actually true?
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
AskForRaffo
DO THE DEW!

Post by AskForRaffo »

THE KILL wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:04 am I mean it's winter right now and vegetables are a lot more expensive than in summer, but why don't you guys buy garlic, cherry tomatoes, and spaghetti, and make spaghetti alio e olio? If you're feeling fancy, invest in a bottle of decent olive oil (can't be much more than 5 bucks or so) to replace the cheaper oil you possibly have at home. A bittle of olive oil will last you forever if you don't drown everything in the stuff. Or is the clichée about fresh produce being stupidly expensive in the US actually true?
No tomatoes in aglio e olio. Maybe some chili pepper.

Also 5 euro bucks olive oil? :barf

Go back and fix me some wursts.
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

A 2 litre of olive oil from Costco will last a real long time.
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Y'ALLS - HAVE I TOLD Y'ALL ABOUT MY 100% FREEGAN SCAVENGED AND FORAGED MEAL PLAN?
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:54 am
Whee of the Dead wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 am I just steal my neighbors dog's eggs
Almost choked on my coffee
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Perhaps it’s because I live in a disgustingly expensive town, but a half liter of decent EVOO not cut with sunflower oil or other shit is like ten bucks
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

AskForRaffo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:55 am
THE KILL wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:04 am I mean it's winter right now and vegetables are a lot more expensive than in summer, but why don't you guys buy garlic, cherry tomatoes, and spaghetti, and make spaghetti alio e olio? If you're feeling fancy, invest in a bottle of decent olive oil (can't be much more than 5 bucks or so) to replace the cheaper oil you possibly have at home. A bittle of olive oil will last you forever if you don't drown everything in the stuff. Or is the clichée about fresh produce being stupidly expensive in the US actually true?
No tomatoes in aglio e olio. Maybe some chili pepper.

Also 5 euro bucks olive oil? :barf

Go back and fix me some wursts.
You live in the US? It's easy in Germany to get a half litre bottle of decent olive oil for under 5 bucks you know... as for the rest, just try the cherry tomatoes, give them a good fry, you'll thank me later. Fucker.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

hipster holocaust wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:20 pm Perhaps it’s because I live in a disgustingly expensive town, but a half liter of decent EVOO not cut with sunflower oil or other shit is like ten bucks
Wasn’t there some expose awhile back showing that basically all olive oily is cut with Valvoline even the fancy expensive shit.
Ill body
/
Ill will
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Cheap and not garbage invariably means rice

Coconut rice is cheap and so good, and pairs well with like 90% of proteins. Cook rice in equal parts coconut milk and water, add 1 Tbsp sugar and 1/2tsp salt for every can of coconut milk. Excellent when fresh, otherworldly days later as a base for a fried rice.Take any meat and make it a masala: cook down a yellow onion, add in garlic and ginger until fragrant; stir in can crushed tomatoes, garam masala, cumin, coriander, paprika; add in your (precooked) protein and go slow and low for 20-30 minutes? If doing tofu, you'll want to make this masala, use it to marinade the tofu for 2-4 hours, and then finish it off in a bottom-rack broiler until it starts to char

Rice and beans, classic. (Maybe the best cheapo protein?) Easy mode: can of black beans, adobo, call it a day. Want to get only slightly more advanced, pinto beans in a crock pot with your fat of choice (lard is best, olive oil is for f-slurs), water, spice blend (cumin, garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder, salt, pepper). Cook while you're at work.

If you're not afraid to do some frying in oil, falafel is a good rice accompaniment; store brand cans of chickpeas are usually less than $0.75 per. Toast your rice with turmeric and cumin before preparing. Classic white sauce recipe is a blend of mayo/Greek yogurt, vinegar, dill, salt/pepper/sugar; red sauce is bell pepper, harissa, garlic, cumin, sumac, salt.

Real lazy worthless f-slur hours, do Roy Choi ramen: prepare as on the package, poach an egg in the broth, finish with a pat of butter, slice of American cheese, toasted sesame seeds (or use furikake if you have ever tasted dick); also can be combined with pan fried Spam or hot dogs and rice to make a sort of third-rate budae jjigae knockoff
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Someone is going to give you shit for mentioning spam.
Ill body
/
Ill will
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

cxwx wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:23 pm
hipster holocaust wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:20 pm Perhaps it’s because I live in a disgustingly expensive town, but a half liter of decent EVOO not cut with sunflower oil or other shit is like ten bucks
Wasn’t there some expose awhile back showing that basically all olive oily is cut with Valvoline even the fancy expensive shit.
I got a fuckton direct from a farm where I spent some of my honeymoon in Sicily, it was fucking $$$$ but worth every god damn penny :mastoman:
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Toilet Fleet wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:31 pm
If you're not afraid to do some frying in oil, falafel is a good rice accompaniment; store brand cans of chickpeas are usually less than $0.75 per. Toast your rice with turmeric and cumin before preparing. Classic white sauce recipe is a blend of mayo/Greek yogurt, vinegar, dill, salt/pepper/sugar; red sauce is bell pepper, harissa, garlic, cumin, sumac, salt.
In my experience you gotta use raw beans that are soaked overnight and not cooked ones. The starches in the cooked / canned beans won't bind and the falafel will fall apart.

Falafel batter freezes really well so you can make a gallon of it and parcel it out.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Geeheeb wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:05 pm
Toilet Fleet wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:31 pm
In my experience you gotta use raw beans that are soaked overnight and not cooked ones. The starches in the cooked / canned beans won't bind and the falafel will fall apart.
Not even after draining them for like 5 minutes? I find it difficult to believe all those assholes on like every corner in nyc use the fresh method, but, maybe 🤔
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

dry beans are a lot cheaper
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Kenji has got you in the first 30 seconds
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Well shit :beer:
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

:?: :?: :?: Bread crumbs are a perfectly fine binder for canned chickpeas re: falafel

Just remembered another off the shelf combo that slaps: ramen of preference + 1/2 can of cream of whatever soup: mushroom has the most well-rounded savoriness and combines with all flavors well; chicken is mid but meshes okay with non-chicken ramen; celery is great but harder to find; potato is fine but harder to find.

Cannot overstate how fuckin hard the balance between cheap and time-efficient can be. It was hard on WIC and food stamps, and it's not that much better now that I can "afford" (lol) to pay retail for a wider selection of foods.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

i keep making aglio olio even if i don't have parsley
costco spaghetti
Image Certified Poster
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Toilet Fleet wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:26 am :?: :?: :?: Bread crumbs are a perfectly fine binder for canned chickpeas re: falafel
For sure, the title is cheap meals. What is cheaper: "Canned Beans + Bread Crumbs" vs "Soaked Beans + Food Processor // meat grinder"?

🫘 🍞