EBA's DOOM megathread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: EBA's DOOM megathread

Post by FVBTVS »

racking my brain for memories of this time reminded of my first bbs experience :drooly:

Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:32 pm there was a full aliens inspired conversion for doom very early on i remember playing that was completely insane. they lifted sounds from the movie and aliens screeching and gun sounds. it was kind of a sensory overload in a bad way with terrible sound mixing but they managed to make non-transparent but trans-substantial? textures that created the chitinous dripping hive feeling really well and the levels took advantage of those textures to create an amazing atmosphere of claustrophobia that was unforgettable
Yeah this has come up a few times in my RESEARCH. Apparently it was the first "total conversion" mod, and is considered historically notable. People still play it, I figure I'll give it a shot while I'm still on this doom bender.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Fvnfvts these are great stories, I will reply in greater detail when I get home.
Eight Bit Alien

The old internet and its culture was a really really special thing and we were lucky to have experienced it. I got online in 95-96 after watching my dad BBS around, and that time period where you could still see the imprint of BBSes and newsgroups was incredible. There was a particular sort of person who built all that shit.

Www.textfiles.com is a fascinating resource - it's neat to read that stuff, and see what the areas of focus were. I'm glad that 30% of the internet is no longer dedicated to sharing bomb recipes and UFO conspiracies, but I do mourn the loss of the psychological sphere which made that commonplace.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I took a peak inside my GZDoom folder and it’s a mess, not sure which files are what mods. Think I need to do a clean install.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I fiddled with that version of Project Brutality you linked. Just used vanilla DOOM 2 campaign. My word they changed things with just the cannon fodder “grunts”. All flipping around with axes and chainsaws and shit. Motherfuckers be taunting me. I feel they’ve streamlined controls for the better since last I tried PB, as well. Good shit. Basically a brand new game. If Brutal Doom is the real Doom 3*, this is the real Doom Eternal.

*I actually have learned to adore DOOM 3, but it really is more like Half-DOOM.
Eight Bit Alien

Yeah ill screenshot my doom folder soon, its a mess. And Project Brutality has fucked up my life this year - I still appreciate Brutal Doom, but holy shit did PB up the ante. Don't forget to check out the weapon upgrades and alternate fire methods - it's absolutely fucking crazy. I don't want to spoil anything but there's some easy-to-miss shit.... definitely don't sleep on the alternate fire modes for the BFG, Unmaker etc.
Eight Bit Alien

Speaking of bfg
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Make a thread about Cruelty Squad
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien

A week or two ago I was really enthused about BLACK MASS, the official campaign for PB. It has an apprehensive scifi vibe, like Dragon Sector. Got kinda fussy because some glitch made a blue key not appear, decided to come back to it later.
Finally returned to it last night, only to discover that ONLY ONE LEVEL was ever released. They had like 6 awesome beautiful levels that got shelved - its been like 6 years since anything new has been posted. Fucking mega tease!!

I want to go ask about it in the official PB discord, but i looked there and every question anyone asks gets met with a hostile and sarcastic "use the search bar" or "just fucking google it" from nonbinary furries
Eight Bit Alien

Also I'm posting from my phone these days, which is broken, so I'm sorry if these are not my best posts.

Seriously my phone is fucking broken and everything i type lags and comes out misspelled.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien

:lol: this pops up on every list. Alright fuck I'll download it... even though that will probably land me on a list
Eight Bit Alien

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:13 pm there was some really creative kid who made cool levels who was even younger than me named SNARF
1996... any of these names look familiar?

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/58 ... r-doom-ii/
Additional Thanks : To my deathmatch buds:
- Combat Central: Dr. Death (sysop), Dv8, Lonewolf
Shiva, Demon, Bud man, Razor, Ren, Slice, Marine, Zuper
The Maxx, The Unknown, Aslan, Havok, and Phantom.
- Gaming Center: Crypt Keeper, Homer, Mr. X, Beef,
Boss, Double Barrel, Revenant, Phantasm, Mad Hatter,
Rat Cheese, Kat, Snarf, Uniblazer, Dr. Death (other
one), Demise, and Death Angel.
- The Playing Fields: Krowket, BadMF, MkRules, BkRules
and Ska.
- #Deathmatch (IRC): Toaster
- ThunderDome: Deleos(Didn't forget ya!), Zombeast,
Bubba B, Tiger, and Thor.
Special Thanks to Dr. Death, the sysop of Combat
Central for creating and maintaing a great, fun
place to play doom2 with an emphasis on Fun!!!!
Deathmatch Testers:
Dr. Death, Bud_man, Razor, The Maxx, and Zuper
Two guys getting killed on title screen ;)
Zuper(Brown) and Razor(Indigo)<- Good Deaths!!
Eight Bit Alien

There were tons of retail DOOM shovelware CDs for WADs. All these guys did was scrape fan-made content from BBSes and then sell them like hucksters. I'm gonna download a huge set of them and see if I can find any levels named INSIDE or any made by the author EDGE.
It's very possible that that shit still exists somewhere.
Eight Bit Alien

I've been slightly preoccupied with trying to track down a particular level I had back in the 90s. It was a hockey rink... nothing all that crazy. It came on a CD with stuff for Heretic, Doom, etc. What's interesting is that one of the legendary COLUMBINE KILLER levels is a hockey rink... it's possible that I played that kid's level before the massacre happened. If I can find that particular CD and then figure out which level it was....
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:37 pm
FVBTVS wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:13 pm there was some really creative kid who made cool levels who was even younger than me named SNARF
1996... any of these names look familiar?

https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/58 ... r-doom-ii/
Additional Thanks : To my deathmatch buds:
- Combat Central: Dr. Death (sysop), Dv8, Lonewolf
Shiva, Demon, Bud man, Razor, Ren, Slice, Marine, Zuper
The Maxx, The Unknown, Aslan, Havok, and Phantom.
- Gaming Center: Crypt Keeper, Homer, Mr. X, Beef,
Boss, Double Barrel, Revenant, Phantasm, Mad Hatter,
Rat Cheese, Kat, Snarf, Uniblazer, Dr. Death (other
one), Demise, and Death Angel.
- The Playing Fields: Krowket, BadMF, MkRules, BkRules
and Ska.
- #Deathmatch (IRC): Toaster
- ThunderDome: Deleos(Didn't forget ya!), Zombeast,
Bubba B, Tiger, and Thor.
Special Thanks to Dr. Death, the sysop of Combat
Central for creating and maintaing a great, fun
place to play doom2 with an emphasis on Fun!!!!
Deathmatch Testers:
Dr. Death, Bud_man, Razor, The Maxx, and Zuper
Two guys getting killed on title screen ;)
Zuper(Brown) and Razor(Indigo)<- Good Deaths!!
holy mother fuck of fuck :lol:

it was gaming center. i remember 30% of those names under gaming center. i played at playing fields a lot but dont remember those names anymore.

that is incredible

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:39 pm There were tons of retail DOOM shovelware CDs for WADs. All these guys did was scrape fan-made content from BBSes and then sell them like hucksters. I'm gonna download a huge set of them and see if I can find any levels named INSIDE or any made by the author EDGE.
It's very possible that that shit still exists somewhere.
i'd pass out. the only thing that sucks is i cant remember initially how we shared our levels at all anymore, how things were hosted or not hosted. and i remember seeing those cd's (i think i had one) of scraped stuff back in the day too but always attributed them to being something LEGIT

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

mad hatter was an annoying f a g g o t

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:41 pm I've been slightly preoccupied with trying to track down a particular level I had back in the 90s. It was a hockey rink... nothing all that crazy. It came on a CD with stuff for Heretic, Doom, etc. What's interesting is that one of the legendary COLUMBINE KILLER levels is a hockey rink... it's possible that I played that kid's level before the massacre happened. If I can find that particular CD and then figure out which level it was....
there were a couple of REALLY shitty and poorly made low effort wads i rememeber people in my circle were obsessed with and always wanted to play and i could never understand ehy but looking back now i'd definitely like to see them again. they werent cool looking in the slightest and used generic e1 textures poorly and had tons of straight up MAAJOR ERRORS on them that no one fixed but they had a raw gameplay loop they created that i wasnt able to recognize or understand from a deathmatch perpsective

wish i could recall those names now

I have 8 children.
Eight Bit Alien

World's greatest detective
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... f/demiless

this one sounds like a map that i played the absolute fuck out

western themed maps w a couple of houses and empty streets were perfect for ole fashioned 1v1 duels

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Not to derail the shitty map and fag Mad Hater talk, but had anyone tried Romero’s Sigil campaign pack?

Honestly, it looks too cluttered and compacted.
Last edited by The Bill on Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNARF
Lorde Beguiled

Post by SNARF »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:37 pm Snarf
:shock: