Gear thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Re: Gear thread

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Hunter wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:32 am I have a Fostex X-28H 4-track recorder on the way. 8 inputs, 4 outputs, high + normal variable speeds. I've been wanting a 4 track forever, but they skyrocketed in price shortly before the pandemic. I found one fairly reasonably priced (in working order), so hoping it's in decent shape when it does arrive. I have several 20+ year old tapes from old bands, a handful of blanks and I'm either going to make or buy some loop tapes.

That looks really nice. All the 4tracks I've ever had were terrible, like a single mono input type stuff.

I ripped one apart earlier this year and tried to install a potentiometer on the motor to try to get variable tape speed, hoping to make some cool samples or pads out of it. Never FUCKING works stupid SHIT
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

I've been reading up on the Technics SV-P100 and I want to use it for Evil™

it's not true analog but not true digital and it is exceptionally weird

the audio is stored on the VHS video tracks, and the audio track is used for jump/search codes but if you play a tape recorded this way on a regular VCR, you'll hear a distorted version of the audio contained in the video tracks—which shouldn't happen???

bullet point is that The Ring is real
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:50 am
Hunter wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:32 am I have a Fostex X-28H 4-track recorder on the way...

That looks really nice. All the 4tracks I've ever had were terrible, like a single mono input type stuff.

I ripped one apart earlier this year and tried to install a potentiometer on the motor to try to get variable tape speed, hoping to make some cool samples or pads out of it. Never FUCKING works stupid SHIT
I was looking at some cassettone videos where people do that, but with multiple potentiometers and switches. I'd like to get into that kind of modding, but soldering without a good temp controlled iron is a crapshoot.
Toilet Fleet wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:23 am I've been reading up on the Technics SV-P100 and I want to use it for Evil™

it's not true analog but not true digital and it is exceptionally weird

the audio is stored on the VHS video tracks, and the audio track is used for jump/search codes but if you play a tape recorded this way on a regular VCR, you'll hear a distorted version of the audio contained in the video tracks—which shouldn't happen???

bullet point is that The Ring is real
I've been wondering about these, because the first demo I ever recorded ('97?) was dumped to a VHS tape that I still have, using one of those. I haven't tried putting it in a VCR though - maybe it bleeds into the jump marker track? I wonder if there's a difference with standard and hifi VCRs.

Are you looking to buy one? I can't imagine you can come across them often.
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

They're a rarity but if I find one I will jump on it like it was a grenade threatening my platoon
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Kind of a weird find. If you don't feel like watching the whole 30 minutes of hipster man futzing around with knobs and shit .... Looks like the OEM themselves that DOD was using made a clone of this pedal ( was it popular enough to warrant a clone?) the enclosures and build are almost identical and the circuit board is exactly the same. I like the totally random Bambi art work.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

ring modulation is the most annoying shit
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

Be ready to clean the heads on that Technics SV-P100 every hour
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

I accidentally fried my source audio multiwave distortion by plugging it into a 12v line, so I'm finally going to embrace the latest incarnation of it, the Ultrawave, with the editing software and all that shit. For other upgrades, I'm thinking an Eventide H90 is also inevitable/only a matter of how long I'm willing to wait for a good enough deal.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

i thought this thread was about steroids
Image Certified Poster
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

featherboa wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:56 pm i thought this thread was about steroids
Eight Bit Alien

I did a lot of music/work with this one rap guy back in the 2010s.

Yesterday I heard a knock at my door, then got a text from him basically saying merry christmas

Went outside and in little bags was a brand new Novation Circuit Rhythm and Teenage Engineering EP-133 KO-II... both of them

I really don't do much with standalone samplers generally but the Novation thing has the best workflow of any I've ever used. It's mindboggling how much better it is than shit Maschine, and that's without ANY screen or mouse or whatever.

fucking craziest shit that's happened to me in a while
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

I like the Circuit Rhythm quite a bit - easy to sequence and the performance effects are fun. Be careful when assembling the KO II, I hear it's easy to fuck up the fader.
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

I love the EHX drum synths, they rule with high gain distortion, so I've started checking out some other drummy pedalboxes. Started with a mooer groove loop and delptronics thunderclap 2, then got into a digitech trio + which is just wow. Also curious about the beat buddy, seems kinda pricey for what it is, especially when compared to the trio +.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Got this thing for $40. It has EBA's favorite effect ring modulation. I bought it mainly because I didn't have any tremolo's or vibrato type effects. The "liquid" setting actually appears to be some kind of wacked out step phaser. Run it through a pitch shifter and you sound like Ted Danson's zombie in Creep Show.
Eight Bit Alien

this isn't really a gear video but it is hilarious nonetheless and i fully advocate for it
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

that's a slide fellas, it's not for your dick

no idea how to use this thing but it's fun so far. tips appreciated (guitar tips, not dick stuff lmao)
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Spooky Apparition wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:49 pm Image

that's a slide fellas, it's not for your dick

no idea how to use this thing but it's fun so far. tips appreciated (guitar tips, not dick stuff lmao)
Play random notes past your highest fret to get obnoxious high pitched Melt Banana/Crom-Tech noises.
Eight Bit Alien

I have about 10 different devices designed to play and record cassette tapes. Every single one of them is broken in some way

Just keeping you guys posted
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Found a "duh" moment if you're running more than one amp that I'm sure other guitar players have already done for years who are less dim witted than me. Having one amp very saturated and another amp a lot more dry ( still distorted but less than you would have normally ) the combination seems to be a lot heavier than both amps being at unity gain as the dryness of the one amp sits on top of the gain blanket of the other amp.
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Been on my radar for a while, found one super cheap. The talk/vocal mode is the main curiosity/interest, don't know of any other envelope filters that have it outside of Modfactor/Eventide. I have a Cock Fight + that does vocal wah, but I hate the short sweep treadle and would rather use the box version with my Dunlop XL mighty sweep.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

Warpsmasher wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:28 pm I love the EHX drum synths, they rule with high gain distortion, so I've started checking out some other drummy pedalboxes. Started with a mooer groove loop and delptronics thunderclap 2, then got into a digitech trio + which is just wow. Also curious about the beat buddy, seems kinda pricey for what it is, especially when compared to the trio +.
Wholly unrelated but I hope behringer clones the monotribe, adds delay and distortion, and it becomes the electric guitar of the 21st century.

Also all autowahs need to be both midi syncable AND have some sort of sample and hold option
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

https://gehirnenterprises.com/products/buzz-king Ordered. They have a 4ms Noise Swash based pedal that looks pretty sick too.

*edit: Looks like I got the last one...
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I tried going back to some shorter drumsticks and feels like I'm able to move a lot better with them. I figured trying to hit cymbals far to the left would be better for my shoulder with a longer stick but this actually feels more comfortable.