Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle theatrical release

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle theatrical release

Post by Necrometer »

http://cremasterfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... lease.html
It turns out the Cremaster Cycle / De Lama Lamina screenings in Seattle that we previously reported are part of a wider theatrical release of Matthew Barney's films via International Film Circuit. The films are currently slated to be screened in four U.S. cities: Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, and Boston. International Film Circuit's web site has more information on the venues and dates. After opening in these cities, the Cremaster Cycle will tour across the country over the summer and fall. If you are interested in hosting the films, rental rates (35mm prints) are surprisingly reasonable, starting at $500 per film.

Cremaster Fanatics should note that Matthew Barney will appear for a Q&A session at the screening at the IFC Film Center in New York on May 19. Also, sadly, the press release states that the, "Epic Masterwork is Not Now Nor Will it Ever be Available on DVD".
SIFF Cinema Seattle WA 4/9 – 4/15
IFC Center New York NY 5/19 – 6/1
Landmark’s Nuart Theatre Los Angeles CA 6/11 6/17
Landmark’s Kendall Square Theatre Boston MA 6/25 7/1
Landmark's Dobie Theatre Austin TX 7/9 - 7/15
Landmark Theaters Denver CO 8/6 – 8/12
Oklahoma Museum of Art Oklahoma City OK 8/26 – 8/29
Music Box Theatre Chicago IL Summer
Cinema 21 Portland OR 9/24 – 9/30
Cleveland Cinematheque Cleveland OH 9/30 – 10/3
Landmark E Street Washington DC 10/8 – 10/14
Museum of Fine Arts Houston TX 11/5 – 11/7
Three Rivers Film Fest Pittsburgh PA 11/6 – 11/20
Landmark Midtown Art Atlanta GA Fall
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
triple clutcher v2.5b
This drum machine utterly confounds me.

Re: Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle theatrical release

Post by triple clutcher v2.5b »

I saw whatever part of that made it to bootleg DVD, and I couldn't make heads nor tails of it. Confusing and pretty.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I'd read the backstory then watch it again in the theater... shit is awesome imo. I saw it twice (but just once for #3) and read about his intent in between; I think that's the best way to go. The bootlegs don't do it justice, and there's something about being confined in the dark room with just the film that might help you get locked under the spell.

If anyone is picking & choosing which to see, I'd rank them as follows: 2/3, 4, 1, 5 (with running-time cost taken into consideration).

No bay area screenings is - appropriately - total faggotry.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Quay's Maska, Svankmajer's - Surviving Life and Cremaster Cycle should round out a nice 2010.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Maska Dir. Quay Brothers Music. Krzysztof Penderecki. Based on the short story by Stanislaw Lem. ‘It’ is created piece by piece, limb by limb, and then with a sudden ‘rush of gender’ takes the shape of an automaton disguised as a beautiful female Duenna sent on a mission into a courtly kingdom to mercilessly track down a prince and kill him. Although she is programmed to kill, she is also capable simultaneously of questioning this programation and it is this friction between the soul and the machine that keeps one suspended between belief and disbelief.
Sounds awesome... why's it impossible to find any info about this?
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

while beautiful, cremaster is a prime example of artists masturbating into their own mouths.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

John Jr. wrote:while beautiful, cremaster is a prime example of artists masturbating into their own mouths.
I'd choose it over the masturbating into your own ass you seem to advocate...
John Jr.
Mac N Cheese ONLY.

Post by John Jr. »

Necrometer wrote:
John Jr. wrote:while beautiful, cremaster is a prime example of artists masturbating into their own mouths.
I'd choose it over the masturbating into your own ass you seem to advocate...
blah blah blah, ross. false hype through limited viewing is elitist bullshit, no matter how you slice it. considering that, however, it's no wonder that you jack off into your own mouth over it.
"FUCK YES MORE LAWS RIGHT NOW ALL THE TIME! LAW LAW LAW!" - Geeheeb
"OH I FORGOT, MORE JAILS TOO RIGHT NOW! FUCK YEAH JAIL JAIL JAIL!" - Geeheeb

"I don't recall quoting you as a shitbrain specifically... the shitbrain experience is not exactly the same for every shitbrain" -big rossman
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Necrometer wrote:
Maska Dir. Quay Brothers Music. Krzysztof Penderecki. Based on the short story by Stanislaw Lem. ‘It’ is created piece by piece, limb by limb, and then with a sudden ‘rush of gender’ takes the shape of an automaton disguised as a beautiful female Duenna sent on a mission into a courtly kingdom to mercilessly track down a prince and kill him. Although she is programmed to kill, she is also capable simultaneously of questioning this programation and it is this friction between the soul and the machine that keeps one suspended between belief and disbelief.

Not released yet. Only show as part of Polish movie fests so far.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I understand reality of the hype/fad element you bring up, but there's also the possibility that it's the artist's desire to deliberately maintain the work as a non-commercial entity.

Thanks Budd. I'm just surprised there's not even a placeholder on IMDB. True underground art.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Who fucking cares what anyone thinks of Cremaster? It looks cool and makes me feel funny - enough said. Masturbation or not - who cares? - nothing wrong with an artist trying to please himself first. Much great art comes from that exact sentiment. If you dig it - who the fuck cares?

I kinda never get the hate for contemporary art - why do people have to get so offended because some people like what they may not? When I make music - it's for me. If others dig it - cool - if not - totally doesn't matter.
Last edited by Mr. Budd on Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Necrometer wrote:I understand reality of the hype/fad element you bring up, but there's also the possibility that it's the artist's desire to deliberately maintain the work as a non-commercial entity.

Thanks Budd. I'm just surprised there's not even a placeholder on IMDB. True underground art.

...which is a complete shame because they are among the greatest living film makers for sure. Svankmajer amd Bela Tarr suffer the same fate here - virtually ignored outside of snob-fests and both are also among the greatest to ever make films IMO.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Count me in for seeing Cremaster in NYC.
Necrometer wrote:
This sounds really cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it if it surfaces eventually.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

Necrometer wrote:I'd read the backstory then watch it again in the theater.
This is what I did and I wouldn't do it again. Knowing exactly what Barney had in mind when he put the images together kept me from being able to throw out my own interpretations and then go back and compare. And that pissed me off. I would have much rather just wondered why Murphy's Law and Agnostic Front are rocking out in the Guggenheim instead of knowing that this is all some sort of metaphor for Masonic ritual and the moment when my balls decided to be my balls and not my ovaries. Enough time has passed now that most of the synopsis has been forgotten, so I'd like to go back and get another viewing. But I'm not going to Pittsburgh for a week, so I guess that's out.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Maybe I was unclear, but I think a first viewing should be cold, and a re-viewing warrants some pre-reading - this allows both possible experiences, right?

Anyway, I bet you could catch them all start-to-finish on a Saturday if they don't schedule like assholes. I would have to do that in LA if my zone is buttfucked.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

Necrometer wrote:
Oh DAMN, the Quays doing Stanislaw Lem is more like the artists masturbating into MY mouth and ass. In a good way.
fvkk
RHT
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by RHT »

Wish I could find those Jonathan Bepler soundtracks.
Double Anal
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Double Anal »

neckbeard wrote:It depends on poop and sweat
BigBrother
Khaooos and Kon-fus-ion

Post by BigBrother »

RHT wrote:Wish I could find those Jonathan Bepler soundtracks.
They're floating around on the blogs.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

RIP richard serra
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

The 2nd one with all the Freemasonic stuff is very creepy
The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Necrometer wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:13 pm RIP richard serra
His work made me feel like it just might crush me. RIP