Post the latest stuff you recorded.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Re: Post the latest stuff you recorded.

Post by Brutus Frank »

Well that's the thrashiest a tele ever sounded, what's your rig?
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

godofdeadlydeath wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:05 pm I've been doing a mini-cover of "Hit the Lights" at Unharrowed shows in recent months. Posted a clip the other day. It sounds like shit but it's fun to play.

Aron Eisenberg, you're alive!
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
samiam
Morbid Florist

Post by samiam »

godofdeadlydeath
O.G. Interwebber

Post by godofdeadlydeath »

cxwx wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:15 pm
godofdeadlydeath wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:05 pm I've been doing a mini-cover of "Hit the Lights" at Unharrowed shows in recent months. Posted a clip the other day. It sounds like shit but it's fun to play.

Aron Eisenberg, you're alive!
I had to Google who that was. I can see it
Stabbed in the eyes with a fucking caak...

https://linktr.ee/unharrowed
godofdeadlydeath
O.G. Interwebber

I covered a Foo Fighters song a while ago and just got around to finishing the mixing and mastering over the weekend.

cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Not a foo fighters fan ( other than a handful of songs ) I think I like your voice better than Grohl's
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
godofdeadlydeath
O.G. Interwebber

Thanks, dude. I can't really do the more intense rock vocals he does but for mellow shit like this my voice is half decent. I can either do this kind of thing or lower death metal stuff and not any real in-between.

cxwx

Post by cxwx »

samiam wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 am
godofdeadlydeath wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:15 am
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:02 am https://www.youtube.com/@samuel2577/videos

Nothing revolutionary, just having fun. I play guitar. I only know 90's/2000's era grind, powerviolence, sludge etc, I havent kept up with new stuff. Might be fun to collab using Ableton if anyone wants to.
That tone is filthy. What's your setup?
Thanks! Appreciate that, I play a shitty guitar right now ("laguna" guitar center brand lol) but I just go direct into a Line6 pocket pod with a tone I like in that, then into a focus rite Scarlett solo interface hooked to the computer with USB, then I record in Ableton, and I use the free Audacity wave editor to add a little compression, cut out some of the 250 and 500 Hz frequencies (the "muddy" frequencies more or less), and normalize the wave. Drum machine is FL studio free version with some drum samples I got a long time ago, I don't remember where or what they are. Bass is pretty quiet I think, but it's just a shitty bass, same setup but I don't cut any frequencies and add more compression. oh and I record guitar twice, pan one track to the left a bit and the other to the right a bit, which is pretty important for the guitar sound.
500hz is the king of frequencies. Face me on AIM.
Brutus Frank
[citation needed]

Post by Brutus Frank »

cxwx wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:46 pm
500hz is the king of frequencies. Face me on AIM.
500hz is ONLY good for increasing or decreasing the snares ability to cut through, or overwhelm, the mix.
Eight Bit Alien
Daddy would you like some sausage?

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Critical sweet spot in boxcore, mudcore etc
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
samiam
Morbid Florist

Post by samiam »

perhaps, I stopped cutting it so much and the quality seems better. Also, latest:
https://on.soundcloud.com/Urch9
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

I'm a complete fucking idiot so I wouldn't listen to anything I have to say about EQ settings and this was more for a live rig not something mixed up or EQing a DAW or something like that. Lately I've been finding good usage out of boosting 125 and 500 hz ... sometimes 2K. Scooping out 1 k and most of 250hz, dipping 63hz but not as much as the 250hx and boosting 32hz If you want that "resonance" frequencies. I use a 10 band EQ from and old stereo if these specific numbers make no sense. This stuff also tends to become meaningless if you don't know the specific frequencies your amp knobs or pedals are cutting and boosting. I'm sending the signal to one amp that is scooped and saturated into a disgusting mess ( think old Brodequin or Butchered At Birth ) and the other amps are more drier and mid focused.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

EQ should not be a one-size-fits-all approach, rather than going by numbers try sweeping looking for the offensive tone you want to cut - like this video:

If you are going to be boosting for character then maybe try a baxandall style eq or for more vibe a pultec style.

Here is a cool baxandall one, I really like this person's free plugins - https://www.patreon.com/posts/maxbax-64791433
Pultec - https://www.patreon.com/posts/90832098?pr=true
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Eight Bit Alien
Daddy would you like some sausage?

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I like to put ny monitors directly onto my desk and then put different shaky objects nearby. When something rattles in an unpleasant way i know I've found the bad resonant area in the mix. I then subtract from the mix in that zone based on the shape of the object - cup sweep, spoon cut, catband etc.

Make sure to switch your monitors from left to right occasionally to reduce the chances of field burn
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
samiam
Morbid Florist

Post by samiam »

problem is Audacity doesn't seem to have a parametric eq to sweep with, just faders at eq intervals. I may need to spend actual money but might be worth it.
samiam
Morbid Florist

Post by samiam »

Ok I think I'm going to by Reaper DAW, looks like it has a good eq that you can sweep with.