Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Bored001

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Bored001 »

You're crazy... ;)

But seriously...JJ is all out there for us as he was English. At least buy yourself a good edition...
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Did you ever get around to reading Krasznahorkai? You really should read Studs Lonigain at some point too - completely underrated masterpiece.
Bored001

Post by Bored001 »

And yeah...I just realized that's what you were originally asking...

I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Penguin-M ... 068&sr=1-1

I'm guessing ML still has the rights to that thing? Christ...
Bored001

Post by Bored001 »

Mr. Budd wrote:Did you ever get around to reading Krasznahorkai?
I put that in via a interlibrary loan request...they still haven't sourced it...

Don't worry, if it doesn't come through that way I'll buy it and be right there with you...
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

"But no novelist is closer and more cumulative; in none does distinction spring from a quality of truth more independent of everything but the subject, but the idea itself. This idea, this subject, moreover--a spark kindled by the innermost friction of things--is always as interesting as an unopened telegram. The genial freedom--with its exquisite delicacy--of his approach to this 'innermost' world, the world of our finer consciousness, has in short a side that I can only describe and commemorate as nobly disinterested; a side that makes too many of his rivals appear to hold us in comparison by violent means, and introduce us in comparison to vulgar things."

Henry James on Turgenev.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

I've never read any Joyce yet, but my office is in a library and we have these three gigantic volumes of a fascimile version of the original handwrittne manuscript for 'Ulysess" which are really really interesting. Sometimes I just pull one out and look through it for kicks, even though I can barely read his handwriting, and like I said, I've never even read any of his stuff proper. It's just neat as hell to get that kind of insight into such an obviously monolithic work.

I guess that's not helpful, but it's worth a look at some point!
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

hooked on sonics wrote:I've never read any Joyce yet, but my office is in a library and we have these three gigantic volumes of a fascimile version of the original handwrittne manuscript for 'Ulysess" which are really really interesting. Sometimes I just pull one out and look through it for kicks, even though I can barely read his handwriting, and like I said, I've never even read any of his stuff proper. It's just neat as hell to get that kind of insight into such an obviously monolithic work.

I guess that's not helpful, but it's worth a look at some point!

Interesting for sure, thanks.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

what are the best lovecraft collections you can Used get for cheap on amazon? I'm building a stash of cheep Christmas gifts. Actually, any author. I think collections of short serials are the best, sci-fi, fantasy. You don't want to give some 500 page philosophy treatise to someone unsolicited...
kale
Whee of the Dead
I hate my life.

Post by Whee of the Dead »

Christine - 7.5

Fun read. Got me through dull day of work.
cranial separation

SEX WITH HER SEVERED HEAD
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

Bored001 wrote: I can't stand JJ, personally...well, his short stories are often nice...but if you're wading into that modernist shit at least come up for air every now and then...
Portrait of the Artist was great once it got going. Negative, confused, arrogant. There's some powerful writing in there. I have a copy of Dubliners that I'll get to soon enough, but I'll never read Ulysses.

Saul Bellow - The Dean's December 8/10

I think this is the first book he wrote after winning the Nobel. Story-wise there's little going on, but that allows the main character/Bellow time to contemplate virtually all of modern existence. Well, modern in the 1980s. It's angry and esoteric, but it's never pretentious, which is pretty much Bellow in a nutshell.

Unlike the other Bellow I've read, the intelligence/entertainment ratio here is pretty unbalanced, but it left enough of an impression that I'd probably read it again.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

there is a $35 000 edition of ulysses published by arion books
it is probably pretty sweet

American Tabloid - James Ellroy - 8/10
took a while to grab my interest but then holy hell
i don't know many, or maybe any, other authors that pack so much stuff happening into the space they use
also i kind of lost the thread of things near the end
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Acts of the Apostles 9

preferred quotes

32 Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common. 33 With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. 34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold. 35 They laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. 36 There was a Levite, a native of Cyprus, Joseph, to whom the apostles gave the name Barnabas (which means "son of encouragement"). 37 He sold a field that belonged to him, then brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

---

The high priest questioned them, 28 saying, "We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and you are determined to bring this man's blood on us." 29 But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than any human authority.
kale
RHT
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by RHT »

Image 10/10 but it's about where i'm from (somewhat). The "Chief of all Ojibwes". Good shit...
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Hunger - Knut Hamsun - 9/10
Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said - PKD - 5/10
Bored001

Post by Bored001 »

ibn Horowitz wrote:Hunger - Knut Hamsun - 9/10
Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said - PKD - 5/10
:tup: for both.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Read Hamsun's Pan too.

Just finished Fathers and Sons and it's perfect. Turgenev might very well be the best Russian writer. Absolutely perfect.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

growth of the soil is next on the hamsun queue
because i don't have pan
_-_-_-_-
Streetcleaner

Post by _-_-_-_- »

I just finished Hater. It was pretty good, but I found it annoying how "lucky" the main character seemed to be towards the end. 7/10
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Anyone read the Satyricon?
Bored001

Post by Bored001 »

Mr. Budd wrote:Anyone read the Satyricon?
Yes, of course. Didn't match Fellini for you?
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Bored001 wrote:

I know you are capable of more significant commentary than correlative movie references.
Bored001

Post by Bored001 »

Mr. Budd wrote:
Bored001 wrote:
I know you are capable of more significant commentary than correlative movie references.
Christ...what an asshole...
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

So more ribald rump rangerie it appears? Butts ahoy!
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

ibn Horowitz wrote:growth of the soil is next on the hamsun queue
because i don't have pan

You can read it free on gutenberg - that's where I read it. It's great. You a Strindberg fan?
Bored001

Post by Bored001 »

Anyway, to answer Chuck's original query...

There were (when I was in school) two accepted (English) versions of The Satyricon for college/academic English readers, the one I would recommend, now, would be the most recent...

Source through:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... on&x=0&y=0

There are now 5-6. Why? Because literature teachers have to adjust to changing tastes and keep the attention of their students. None of these are "complete." IMO: source the original Loeb, watch the biases in translation RE: what academics are allowed to put forth...

RE: that, the basic:

http://www.amazon.com/Petronius-Satyric ... 414&sr=1-1

Expensive, as always, because it's based on agreed scholarship...one can always find it in a library or, failing that, a yard or estate sale.

Most of the Roman writers I still turn to are through the Loeb series...Horace, for example...

I wish more of the "artists" here would read Horace, but that's neither here nor...there...