Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: Last Comic Book You Read 1-10

Post by The Real MPD »

I thought you were asking if he was white.

what I was reading was the original 1941 series. which besides the occasional brutal homicide was just too GOLLY GEE for me to get into.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Airboy - 8/10

Really cool stuff, but it kinda left me wondering if I'd just read a confession. And I'm so behind with my comic reading (I literally have 3 near-full short boxes of unread stuff) that I couldn't be bothered to read the letters pages for clues.

All-Star Section Eight - 7/10

I never liked Hitman back in the day, and this is basically a Hitman sequel, but 20 years later, Ennis and McCrea partying like it's still the 90s sort of gives me the warm fuzzies. And it really is JUST like the stuff from back then - gross and stupid just for the sake of being gross and stupid, and shitting all over the DC universe (and that's not the worst bodily discharge the book depicts) as if satirizing superheroes was still clever. I have to say McCrea's art has improved in ways you wouldn't expect, though.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Injustice: Gods Among Us Year Three Vol. 1 - 8.5
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

It's just such a jarring contrast between the cutesy giant-head Hello Kitty faces, and then like a page later, tentacle rape gangbang/people getting cleaved in half. No tonal consistency at all.

I still love that shit though when it's not the cutesy crap. I should get caught up on that series. Maybe do a re-read.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
nomb
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by nomb »

7/10 Liked it a lot
Femto
Methods for Attaining Extreme Altitudes

Post by Femto »

Pisscubes wrote:
riley-o wrote:Berserk Vol 1 - 7/10
Just got into this-- read up to the end of the Golden whatever arc.

Hit and miss. Some of it is really fucking cool-- the ending of this particular arc was so fucking grim-- the whole story and what happens to those involved was really cool.

That said... holy fuck what is IT with Japan and rape? I mean, fuck, why does EVERY fucking manga I read have either rape or huge monster cocks or both?
Golden Age arc and it's basically what the anime was based upon, the anime though excluded a lot from the manga, many key moments like Wyald and exploring characters like Godot. And it only gets darker from there on. The art goes on to improve with every volume, though the mangeka's getting older and you'd think the opposite should happen. The story's been consistent from volume 1, nothing to suggest he was making things up along the way to fill holes (like Naruto or Bleach or popular Shonen with the exception of One Piece).
What you want....may not be what she wants.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
riley-o wrote:Berserk Vol 1 - 7/10
Just got into this-- read up to the end of the Golden whatever arc.

Hit and miss. Some of it is really fucking cool-- the ending of this particular arc was so fucking grim-- the whole story and what happens to those involved was really cool.

That said... holy fuck what is IT with Japan and rape? I mean, fuck, why does EVERY fucking manga I read have either rape or huge monster cocks or both?
I spent a chunk of the summer of 2013 reading the entire collection in the air conditioning, while the wife & kids were in Greece. I really liked it, even though it does take a Dungeons & Dragons left hand turn at one point (I'm not talking about the demon stuff, there's wizards and magic armor...) Problem is, the series just stops in the middle of a ton of stuff and new releases have been brutally few and far between.

Hey, the Hulk is now a teenage Asian with a sort of bro-hawk haircut. Cool, guys. If it wasn't for Star Wars/Vader and the new Iron-Man I wouldn't read a single title of theirs. Fuck you, Marvel, it's a good thing I like your movies/back catalog.
Femto

Post by Femto »

The Bill wrote: I spent a chunk of the summer of 2013 reading the entire collection in the air conditioning, while the wife & kids were in Greece. I really liked it, even though it does take a Dungeons & Dragons left hand turn at one point (I'm not talking about the demon stuff, there's wizards and magic armor...) Problem is, the series just stops in the middle of a ton of stuff and new releases have been brutally few and far between.
Are you up to volume 37? The mangeka took a long 67 week hiatus between December 2012 and April 2014. There have been 9 episodes since and it's fantastic. Something that was hinted/ introduced back in 2001 and a journey set in 2006, came to an end in last week's episode.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Femto wrote:
The Bill wrote: I spent a chunk of the summer of 2013 reading the entire collection in the air conditioning, while the wife & kids were in Greece. I really liked it, even though it does take a Dungeons & Dragons left hand turn at one point (I'm not talking about the demon stuff, there's wizards and magic armor...) Problem is, the series just stops in the middle of a ton of stuff and new releases have been brutally few and far between.
Are you up to volume 37? The mangeka took a long 67 week hiatus between December 2012 and April 2014. There have been 9 episodes since and it's fantastic. Something that was hinted/ introduced back in 2001 and a journey set in 2006, came to an end in last week's episode.
I read every issue from beginning until, um, I think April 2014. That seems right. So, 9 more since then. I might have read a few more after April now that I think of it. Regardless, I feel there so much more for the story to do, and releases aren't coming out fast enough. The author will be dead before it finishes.
Femto

Post by Femto »

He's been called the G.R.R.Martin of the manga world because of the story's pace but the story is about 70% done. His breaks are usually for research and you can see it in the depth in the story or detail of his landscapes or architecture from medieval Europe. Maybe it'll take another 10 years to get done ; )
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Batman: Superheavy 6/10 and I'm not likely to change my mind by the time it's over.

Yeah, Scott Snyder's finally managed to write something I hate. Most of those six points is for Capullo being Capullo. I mean, the poetic ending to "Endgame" ALMOST justified killing off Bruce Wayne again way too soon, but this shit's just ridiculous. It's the kind of "shaking up the status quo" writers do when they're out of ideas, plain and simple. The Patlabor (Bat-Labor? Heehee) robot suit isn't even the most ridiculous part, roided-up Jim Gordon with a fucking crew-cut is so awkward it makes me cringe every single page, and yeah, yeah, Bloom's nice and scary and all, but he's also completely uninteresting as a character, and the other villain of the piece is, errr, the Penguin. So no, it's not a good story, and things have been changed in ways so ridiculous that it's plainly obvious Snyder'll hit the reset button at the end. I think the McGuffin to turn Bruce Wayne (who came back from the dead as an amnesiac I SWEAR A FUCKING AMNESIAC like one issue later) back into his old self. Not that Bat-Gordon is much different. He mutated into just straight-up Batman within like two issues. Always thinking a step ahead, spouting knowledge about Gotham's history for no apparent reason, you know.

Ugh. The more I write about this, the more I hate it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Captain America Vol. 1 #100-200 - 7.5
Captain America Vol. 1 Annual #3-4 - 8
The X-Files Season 11 #5 - 8
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So, anybody reading DK3? It's off to a surprisingly good start, actually, because of course Azzarello knows how to put together a good mystery story (and somehow that's what it is so far) and Kubert is doing a pretty excellent job channeling the DKR feel with his own style. But Miller's also saying something or other that's completely unclear about police brutality and black people, and, um, ergh.

The Atom mini-comic is also pretty hilarious. Who does Miller think he's fooling here? About 70% of this was completely drawn by Janson based on the roughest of rough layouts, and when something is actually Miller's work it stands out like a sore thumb. But here, too, the writing is actually coherent.

So yeah. No idea what to make of this so far.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

DK3 seems fine so far. My only gripe would be the Wonder Woman parts, because I just do not like Wonder Woman.

Marvel's Squadron Supreme is sort of entertaining. It's essentially Marvel doing the Justice League with Image's 90's kill all the bad guys sensibility. What they do to Atlantis and Namor is just great.

And as always, FUCK SQUIRREL GIRL.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote:So, anybody reading DK3?
Oh is this out...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Does anybody have a download link for good ole Dan here...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Journey Into Mystery vol. 1 #83 - 125 - 8
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote:
spacehamster wrote:So, anybody reading DK3?
Oh is this out...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Does anybody have a download link for good ole Dan here...
Newcomic.info might be a place to scope out.
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

spacehamster wrote:So, anybody reading DK3? It's off to a surprisingly good start, actually, because of course Azzarello knows how to put together a good mystery story (and somehow that's what it is so far) and Kubert is doing a pretty excellent job channeling the DKR feel with his own style. But Miller's also saying something or other that's completely unclear about police brutality and black people, and, um, ergh.

The Atom mini-comic is also pretty hilarious. Who does Miller think he's fooling here? About 70% of this was completely drawn by Janson based on the roughest of rough layouts, and when something is actually Miller's work it stands out like a sore thumb. But here, too, the writing is actually coherent.

So yeah. No idea what to make of this so far.
With ya on most points here. Reading the first issue made me very happy and excited. I have absolutely no idea how much of this is actually Miller at work, but I don't care at all - I'm just taking this as a continuation of the DK storyline, and I'm very cool with that.

Say what you want about the flaws of DK2, the world it created is one of my favorite iterations of the DCU. If more people come in to work with that material and they do it competently, I'm game.

Tiny kryptonians!!! Superwonderdaughter :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote:
Say what you want about the flaws of DK2, the world it created is one of my favorite iterations of the DCU.
All I can say about that is I still don't remember a fucking thing about it. That Supergirl with the no eyebrows came from that, right?
Eight Bit Alien
need...miss...want...

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Her name is Lara :x
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Sounds good...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Alright...

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Wh..

u.....

What's going on here? What's happening?

Help! HELP!!!!
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

hahahahaha, wasn't Deathblow created so Jim Lee could come up with a drawing style that borrowed painfully from Miller?

and he had some sort of demonic cancer or something that was supposed to limit how long the character was supposed to be around?

and BLOOD FUCKING WULF and the Maxx!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
eagerly anticipating #2
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The original Deathblow miniseries was basically Lee trying to be Miller, yeah.

But fuck you, 90s Image was awesome. I'll never not stick up for this shit. Never.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

even Tribe and Shamans Tears?

I wanted to throw Wildstar into the mix but I remember actually kinda sorta digging that one.

yes!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I know she's a cartoon and all, but always wanted to pound the Maxx's Julie in her curvy parts.

As for 90's Image, well, post-Secret Wars (2015) Marvel is no better. Outside of a very few titles, I think it may be worse (and far more insulting) than the worst of 90's Image. I'm bewildered, as Marvel was pretty good for a while there. I think they called it Marvel Now. I guess they meant, buy these NOW, because in a few years were changing everyone's race/gender and writing shit show stories. I'm quite bemused that the best comics in the present day are Star Wars and Image.