Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Tree of Life...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I don't know that I have much to contribute to this discussion. Basically, I didn't like it, but I'm not sure that I've digested it enough. My first thought when I left the theater was something like, "I think I'm at a point in my life where I don't care to try to figure out this movie." On the other hand, some of the themes are things that I think about (maybe not grace/nature but the transcendental/material structures a lot of my thinking) and reading Luke's essay made this a little more clear for me. I just think that Malick comes from such a fundamentally different, maybe even opposite, position from me that the movie grated against my sensibilities.

I generally like Malick's film making, and I appreciate the cinematography and grandiosity of the film. I think ultimately making the film exist within Sean Penn's mental space ruined a great deal of this for me, especially in the cliche final scene. With risk of pretension, I think the best word to describe that scene is "dreck." Ending it with the end of the universe would have been great. The family drama would have been just one fleeting episode of existence. Instead, Malick ended it by dwelling on the transcendence of our interpersonal reality, which actually makes me mad though I realize that it shouldn't.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

A Film Unfinished- 7
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

cameraman: the life and work of jack cardiff - 9
Wolfey
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Wolfey »

True Grit- 8/10

Not bad
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

Iron Goldie wrote:My Neighbor Totoro - 10/10 I love this movie. I only wish it were a little bit longer.
This. 9/10

Thanks for posting about this movie, I knew it existed but I never watched. My daughter really liked it, I think it is the first movie she watched from beginning to end.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Hulk Vs. - 6
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:Tree of Life...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I don't know that I have much to contribute to this discussion. Basically, I didn't like it, but I'm not sure that I've digested it enough. My first thought when I left the theater was something like, "I think I'm at a point in my life where I don't care to try to figure out this movie." On the other hand, some of the themes are things that I think about (maybe not grace/nature but the transcendental/material structures a lot of my thinking) and reading Luke's essay made this a little more clear for me. I just think that Malick comes from such a fundamentally different, maybe even opposite, position from me that the movie grated against my sensibilities.

I generally like Malick's film making, and I appreciate the cinematography and grandiosity of the film. I think ultimately making the film exist within Sean Penn's mental space ruined a great deal of this for me, especially in the cliche final scene. With risk of pretension, I think the best word to describe that scene is "dreck." Ending it with the end of the universe would have been great. The family drama would have been just one fleeting episode of existence. Instead, Malick ended it by dwelling on the transcendence of our interpersonal reality, which actually makes me mad though I realize that it shouldn't.
this mirrors my feelings pretty well for what it's worth

Lukesponse still percolating
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

At the earth's core - 7 cheap, cheezy monsters, but rad sets and Peter Cushing. Plus, Caroline Munro.
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Krieg wrote:
Iron Goldie wrote:My Neighbor Totoro - 10/10 I love this movie. I only wish it were a little bit longer.
This. 9/10

Thanks for posting about this movie, I knew it existed but I never watched. My daughter really liked it, I think it is the first movie she watched from beginning to end.
:tup: :tup:

Awesome! You could always show her some more Miyazaki movies, if you haven't. Ponyo is a very child friendly one. Spirited Away is really good too, though depending on the age of the child a couple of scenes may freak her out a little.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Ponyo rules.
No Cunting Elves
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i loved both of his movies that i saw but haven't watched any of his recent ones. be firin' up the ol downloader tonight !
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

I've blown through almost every Ghibli Miyazaki movie in the past year, and they are fucking incredible. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are seriously unbelievably good, I enjoyed Ponyo a lot as well.

I want to re-watch Princess Mononoke, because I think I might just have been in a bad mood at the time. It seemed to drag.

sldkfmsldkfms I want him to do something with Del Toro so badly
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

nope, mononoke rules
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

All his shit is good, but Spirited Away is so far above the others to me.
Hotchka!
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Hotchka! »

social network - 7
seven - 6
panic room - 5
the fog 80 - 5
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

Hulk vs. Thor - 7/10
All Star Superman - 5/10 - Just seemed boring
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i might be :false: but princess mononoke is my favorite miyazaki movie
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

microcosmos - 8. pretty radd for a documentary that had literally 25 seconds total of narration
formerly ghost boner
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

response to Luke re: Tree of Life
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
okay, here we go... there's probably a billion ways to approach this, but

I can think of a few ways to look at this movie, and each perspective would necessitate its own little essay worth of shit; there's a book about this movie out there for anybody with the time to take the topic up. Anyways, perspectives:
Just to frame my response, I’m very much entering argumentation mode. Your initial thoughts cover a lot of things the movie is, but I’ll explain why being these things doesn’t make it a broadly resonant movie. I won’t deny that it is most of the things you claim, but I don’t feel that it effectively employed these massive-in-scope and varied themes in communicating with viewers who lack a particular loose-Christian outlook. I was going to employ the term “post-Christian” but this term is already used to describe societies (typically European) where Christianity’s impact is felt most strongly by way of cultural runoff as opposed to ongoing practice. With “loose-Christian” I refer to either the people or beliefs of a well-populated though necessarily non-organized demographic in (at least) the USA consisting most stereotypically of a modern spiritual person who subscribes to many of the take-home messages of Christianity while rejecting the dogmatism of organized religion. A loose-Christian will tend to emphasize the “universal truths” held in the Bible while taking a relaxed view regarding the specific details therein; this grants them all the security, comfort, and spiritual grounding of the ideologies held within while freeing them from the concern over the inconsistencies that arise in light of modern observations about the state of the universe. The most typical loose-Christian was introduced to a rigorous form of Christianity as a child and proceeded to move to a more open spiritual outlook; hence many of these people report that The Tree of Life as “not Christian” since it represents the place they moved towards while simultaneously moving away from Christianity. From this experiential perspective, the stance seems to make sense. However, The Tree of Life’s central theme – nature vs. grace – seems to me (an atheist) a mere reframing of typical Christian good/evil morality, while it’s a vast distance from the chaotically amoral nature of the universe as viewed by a nihilist/existentialist. From this perspective I see the film as Christian (among other things).
1) it's auto-biographical; the movie is largely about how people (specifically families) relate to each other and to the world around them; this is a running theme in Malick's movies - you don't need to mention anything specifically religious to talk about this facet, and it fits into Malick's structure, which puts the brothers and the family at the heart of the story (by specifically, I mean that Malick makes no explicit argument for any kind of religion in exploring the effects of losing a brother and growing up in a certain place with certain people; the Christian imagery is a byproduct of the place and time, not an irrefutable truth). Under this interpretation, we can assume that much of the movie consists of Sean Penn's memories and imagination... the jumpy editing is a product of the way our memory tends to work; there is no straight narrative, just numerous ideas and musings that get strung together into something bigger. I'm sympathetic to this interpretation, at least in part. It helps make sense of Sean Penn's character, and it helps connect the "creation of the universe" sequence with the story that takes place in the 50s... the movie ends up being an extended train of thought, seemingly unedited... we get everything from feeling grief to sneaking into a house and wondering what it all means 30 years down the road, after youth has faded and death comes increasingly closer.
I don’t think the Christian imagery is merely incidental. If it were only a relic of the time and place and unimportant-in-retrospect to Jack (who we can assume is standing in for Terry), these elements would be down-played instead of propped up. The Book of Job is brought to the forefront via opening text and the sermon scene, the latter of which holds considerable power in a film where words are scarce. The traditionally-Christian theme of “nature v. grace” is placed at the thematic center and the parents are drawn as archetypes embodying the two poles.

I understand Malick to be an Episcopalian (or at least was raised that way), yet based on my knowledge that he has a degree in philosophy, has been published translating Heidegger’s essay The Essence of Reasons, and created The Tree of Life, I have no doubt that he must have evolved towards my category of loose-Christian. Had he given up Christianity altogether, perhaps we would have been treated with cries to a sky-dwelling God from young Jack and his parents, but we’d probably not hear any from adult Jack/Malick. Let’s not forget that the title could have been a number of more apt things, yet instead we have a semi-pertinent one that references the Garden of Eden.

The autobiographical nature of this movie might be the origin of my biggest gripe. Despite all the film’s lofty and admirable aspirations, Jack’s story never registers as anything but a highly stylized filmic depiction of a man’s midlife crisis and its ensuing philosophically self-congratulatory aftermath. This is in line with a message the movie sends: there’s beauty and magic permeating the universe and as long as you strive for grace, your life will be meaningful and special. This sort of spiritual warm-fuzzy copout is central to protestant and loose-Christian thinking, isn’t it? Just try and be good, repent in some way, accept God into your heart, and you get to go to heaven? That’s essentially the spiritual path we are left to presume Jack takes. And presume is all the viewer can do: we’re shown many experiences of a conflicted child embodying both spirit and grace, then sparse snapshots of a sad adult whose life appears to have embraced far too little grace during the intervening decades. The path to spiritual enlightenment is a furrowed brow?
2) it's a movie about how the eternal relates to the temporal; this can be combined with 1 without any problems, but I'm separating the two because I think there might be an argument that one is more central the other. I'll leave that up to whoever watches the movie. I think one of the things you have to ask when watching the movie is "why do we need to see the creation of the universe to tell this story?" I think it's because Malick is making an argument that the eternal and the temporal are artificially distinct categories, and that they should be combined or fused in a way we don't expect. Even as time marches on and the world changes in infinitely different ways, there's a constant theme of creation and death that defines the movement of the universe perfectly; there isn't any temporal activity without eternal laws, but the eternal laws are meaningless and void without the temporal specifics; or, at least, the eternal can't be glimpsed by the human except through the specific. I think, when looking at the movie through these glasses, the whole dinosaur episode is just another example of life happening in the universe. The "grace" episode you're talking about with the dinosaurs has nothing to do with grace and nature at all; one dinosaur happens upon the other, one is sick and dying, the other is moving down the river looking for food, and none of it means a damn thing. One lives, the other probably dies, if not by cannibalization (assuming they're the same species), then by something else. In fact, the next scene is a giant asteroid crashing into the earth and killing everything, so it doesn't matter which survived and which didn't. I think that whole sequence was supposed to be a setup for the extinction event he shows before moving on to the next kind of life... we start with brain-less entities, move through the dinosaurs which are modestly more intelligent, and then get to more complex life and eventually humans... but death marks life's progress from moment 1 to moment infinity. It's a sequence, not an argument that there's grace in nature. If that's how you read it, then you're basically arguing that Malick is negating his whole conceptual setup, which I think is a longshot... That brings me to the next thing...
This relation and equivocation of vastly disparate timescales is something I really enjoyed in a certain, isolated sense. The non-Texas sequence was extremely well done and rewarding to watch. However, I never felt much of a thematic connection between this portion and the story of the O’Briens. To me, the universe itself (excluding life on Earth) is a cold, dead place governed by firm physical laws and devoid of spiritual meaning. Malick clearly feels the opposite and presumes that there is wonder and intent throughout the universe, humans or not. This is a view central to Christians and particularly loose-Christians and although I might be open to it with tasteful presentation, the way it’s portrayed in this movie is indirect and clearly intended for those who already believe. Malick is convinced that his view of a fantastic universe is plain to see as long as the viewer’s eyes are open. This may be true for many, but not for me. Perhaps I’m asking too much; an overt display of this idea might necessarily come off as heavy-handed and clumsy.

But mere intent and meaning throughout the universe aren’t enough for Malick; I believe that he does sprinkle evidence of pre-human grace into the universe. One explicit example likely lost on many viewers is what I perceived to be a depiction of the origin of endosymbiosis: the evolutionary turning point where the ancestors of “higher” organisms (plants, animals) consumed other organisms and began a millennial collaboration that allowed life to prosper unlike ever before. This was depicted in the film as a large amoeba-like blob consuming a smaller microbe, followed by a dramatic flash of light/energy. At first glance this appeared to be an act of violence or consumption (in line with “nature”) but since life has since shown that the two distinct organisms instead managed to cooperate and thrive, we can reasonably interpret this as an instance of grace: each gives up their previous/individual/selfish needs and instead compromises to consider a new set of goals. I also believe that the Malick deliberately used dinosaurs as a demonstration of grace in non-humans and completely disagree with your interpretation of his intent. Along with the collaborating microbes, he’s offering us a conceptual stepping stone between “natural” animals and humans, via “graceful” animals (a dinosaur in this case). If the natural world is dominated by selfishness and survival, wouldn’t the apparently carnivorous dino tear into the downed herbivore dino without hesitation? Malick knows this presumption is at the forefront of the viewer’s expectation for the classic scene of a downed prey being approached by a sleek predator. He engages us and heightens/reinforces our expectation with a moment of violence as the predator stomps on the head – but we are shocked when the carnivore turns down an easy meal and trots off into the distance, leaving the would-be-meal to die in peace. I think this scene is an interesting inversion of 2001’s opening: there man’s defining evolutionary moment is the invention of tools and their application in the name of violence, heightening the efficiency with “nature” can carry out its selfish goals. Malick is more optimistic and offers a retrospective counter-view: perhaps there were equally important defining moments of grace in other creatures, but these moments were quieter and more easily overlooked. I read the asteroid’s destruction in The Tree of Life as a perhaps-inexplicable end to what was a race on the brink of enlightenment and spiritual awakening. Also, your assertion that the meteor's destruction of the dinos signifies their insignificance and gracelessness, wouldn't the sun's eventual dying out signify the same for humans? If there is spiritual meaning in the entire universe, why shouldn’t there be avenues for non-humans to reach a higher plane, or to attain grace?

Although my first paragraph here was critical, I did enjoy the two noted demonstrations of non-human grace; they are instances where spiritually-meaningful, special things are developed explicitly in the pre-human universe. Interestingly, they are both conveyed via living things. If Malick conveyed grace in non-living parts of the universe, I didn’t read it as anything more than surface-level beauty. This is a tall order to fulfill, and as I said above it might be impossible to pull off tastefully.

3) the movie is about what nature and grace are; this is harder for me to talk about, because I think Malick eliminates the difference by the end of the movie; that's another reason the dinosaur thing has nothing to do with grace.. They were one kind of life that came along and died, but they're massively different from humans, which can remember their dead and make informed decisions, wonder about the nature of the universe, solve math problems, listen to Sigh, and do more than decide whether to eat or not at some point in time. Humans can reflect and make claims that they see something in the universe that's more than natural, in the sense that it's super-natural, super-nature, whatever. The movie's logic kind of starts with a dichotomy, and then moves toward the elimination of opposites... this is also made clear by the way Malick handles death... we might think that death and life/creation are opposites, but the end of the movie suggests otherwise. Death makes way for life, makes way for death, makes way for life, etc.
I don’t have much to add/argue here. I suppose this theme was largely lost on me. Again, a traditional good/evil dichotomy set as a thematic center, and played out dramatically by its two embodiments in the O’Brien parents. I am not convinced that Malick eliminates the difference by the end of the movie; grace is always something to strive for, and nature is a path repeatedly leading to emotional or physical pain. A pairwise relation of life/death to grace/nature seems irresponsible here: death is inevitable, but the movie suggests that one should hope to attain grace before it comes. I think the ending clearly enough suggests this; Jack’s regrettable “nature”-heavy life is washed away once he flips a “grace” switch in his head and then all is forgiven. He proceeds to (what appears to be) heaven and finds solace. This is another loosely-Christian motif I’m having a hard time seeing as anything else. I don’t see how “death makes way for life”, as you put it.
4) the movie is about God in the world; there are several instances that make me think this is the heart of the movie, but I'm not convinced Malick is thinking about God in a specifically Christian context. America in the 50s = Christianity; had the movie been set somewhere else, perhaps the movie could be made with Buddhist images instead of Christian ones... Anyways, Malick uses the dead brother as a way of talking about what happens to people when they grieve and think a lot about death and meaning, but he also uses that death as a way to suggest that death simply isn't the end, and that there is meaning in grief that exceeds the bare materialistic facts. All the talk about love and meaning support this, but so does the scope of the movie... stars are born and die, worlds form and disintegrate, dinosaurs and all other kinds of life live and die, humans live, look for meaning, and frequently pass away before ever finding it or even glimpsing it, but the constant is perpetual life and death, some kind of perpetual light that founds the universe... death is not the end, etc. - whatever it is that put the universe in motion... we see it in the world, we sort of get a peek at it.... there's something in life that goes beyond the basic material facts, etc. The one brother brought the other to a belief that there's more in the universe, the father is brought to self-understanding by his son, the mother is moved to let her grief go by considering the scope of the universe and the laws that govern it... and ultimately all life exceeds itself and shows itself to be more than the mere facts of organic interactions... I think this links the creation of the universe and the 50s-era story nicely. I know I'm jumping around, but I'd have to see the movie again and take more time to form my thoughts more perfectly before arguing this any better than I am now.
I think this section of your post is a bit of a mess, and it’s forgivable because the movie elements you’re trying to tackle are correspondingly a mess. I thought the dead brother was poorly incorporated into Jack’s story. Back to the autobiographical nature of the tale: Malick’s younger brother killed himself as a teenager. While that was certainly deeply meaningful to Malick and led to a reworking of his relationship with his father, we see almost none of the effect this had on Jack from young-adulthood to his adult state. In the film it just felt tacked on. Did Jack really learn anything meaningful from his brother’s death? If so, why did it take ~30 years for him to take any action in response? Life/death could have been a powerful theme in this movie, but there was a weak conceptual connection between the brother’s death and the impact on his family, let alone on the entire universe.
5) the movie deals with the way different forces of nature meet to make something new; we see this in the creation sequence, but also in the way the characters change through the movie. We don't even need to mention God from this perspective, because ultimately Malick is dealing with philosophical concepts that don't have to be linked to one dogma or another... This is the perspective that looks the most Platonic...
Certainly these concepts don’t need to be linked to any particularly dogma, but they certainly fall in line with (and don’t work to undermine) the loose-Christian outlook. If anything, this theme is secondary… perhaps not a noteworthy theme at all since it’s vague enough to apply to almost any film?

All 5 of these can be combined to some extent, and I think you could insert ideas about gender archetypes, like the male and the female, and the motherly and fatherly.... So there's probably at least 6 ways of coming at this movie, and it's more likely that all 6 are right in some way or another.... But in each case, I see no reason to assume that Malick thinks dinosaurs had grace...

I mean, he doesn't even exactly define what grace is, so I don't know why you're assuming not killing something = grace. That's overly simplistic, IMO. Assuming he is being Christian, then grace definitely does not equal dinosaur sympathy; it's a billion times closer to what happens internally when the mother lets the death of her son go and moves on; she sort of gives her grief up to whatever moves the universe along (God? something else? who knows? she never says, nor does Malick)... You might also see grace in the brother's coming to terms with the scope of the universe... or maybe even with his coming to terms with the eternal.... it's the grace to cope, and more specifically the grace to have your sins forgiven, which in part means forgiving yourself and accepting that nature delivers something in life that grace does not; it's more a gift from God than some specific mental state that keeps dino A from eating dino B - I don't know that any other religion outside the Abrahamic triad (Judaism and Islam being the other two) has a concept like grace, but if they do, I doubt its anything like sympathy. I guess it's easiest to think of grace (in Christianity, and more specifically in the Catholic form) as that thing which unites us to God, and it seems reasonable to assume that grace includes acceptance of God and reconciliation with God (if you think of God as the creator and also the highest expression of truth in the universe; truth may be something like "goodness is the absolute founding element of the universe" or "light is greater than darkness" or "life is elemental, and death serves it, not the other way around). Grace is actually a terribly difficult concept that no dino interaction could possibly communicate.

So yeah... that's my rambling, quickly written take on different aspects of the movie, and I could talk a lot about each one of those. I'm willing to bet there are many others, too, so I'm not trying to say those are the only ways you can approach the whole thing... hopefully that at least clears up with the dino thing, or helps explains why I disagree with you
Like you note below, Malick DOES define grace in his film, and since it’s sort of a nebulous concept, I think it’s important to remember how it’s contrasted against nature, which is selfish at its core. I still think the dino-mercy was a moment of unselfishness, so to me it reads as grace. I feel like you’re sticking too tightly to Christian definitions on this one; I took Malick’s loose-Christian view of grace to be essentially any human super-ego-like essence, something selfless and spiritual that allows us to transcend the base, necessity-driven aspects of existence. I don’t think that definition of grace is too complex to be communicated in a scene with two dinosaurs.
just a supplement, actually - I guess the mother does tell us what she thinks grace is, but it still has nothing to do with dinosaurs, if only because the dino's fucking brain doesn't give it the option to "act gracefully" - what the mother describes has everything to do with concepts like pride, greed, etc. - specifically human concepts, and maybe specifically religious or philosophical... that still eliminates the dino thing. One of my friends actually asked someone, "are those the kinds of dinosaurs that can't really sense you unless you're moving?" I dunno if that's a dumb question or not, but I know there are a ton of people out there that don't see any reason to read grace into that scene. I get the feeling that all you're supposed to see in that scene is two living creatures interacting in a mostly unimportant way... it just shows life going on between creatures that have advanced beyond the jellyfish and other sea creatures/bacteria.

Also, the river that the dinos are on looks very similar to the river that the brothers spend some of their time on, and Malick really likes creating visual symmetries throughout the movie (the sun, the sunflowers, the shape of a person's face, the spirals of the galaxy, the shapes of sea creatures, the creation of the universe, the division of cells, etc. etc. etc. - I think there are a lot of scenes that are just meant to show off the symmetry of creation in specifically visual ways
I think “natural” traits such as pride greed, and rage are just id-level instincts amplified and actuated through human ego-level capacity… so yeah, greed for a meal was overcome in the case of the dinos. For what it’s worth I’ve read a lot of web-comments where people interpreted the dino as exhibiting grace. I’ll be glad to link you if you like ;) For what it’s worth, a lot of people also noted that the dino-river does resemble the brothers’ river, and then they find the “dino bone” in the field of course.
Here's the nature/grace definitions, for context:
"When I was young the nuns taught us there are two ways through life. The way of Nature. And the way of Grace. You have to choose which path you'll take." And what is Grace? "It accepts all things. It does not mind being slighted, forgotten, disliked, insults, or injuries." Nature, on the other hand, "only wants to please itself," it "finds reasons to be unhappy" and wants to lord over others, have its own way, and finds things to dislike when all else around them is shining with "the Glory," as Malick calls it here... "No one who follows the way of Grace ever comes to a bad end."
As a final note/thought - realistically I can't invest much more in this topic, so I don't want you to kill yourself with a huge response that'll make you feel burned when/if I can only throw a few thoughts back.
and yeah Luke, I really doubt this image (after the incident) was just plopped on the poster to glorify the meaninglessness of it all:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
also of interest: http://nilesfilmfiles.blogspot.com/2011 ... -tree.html

here's a traditional Christian who argues that it's not Christian:
http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/ ... ttle-fruit
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

super 8 - 7.5
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Streets of Fire - 7/10
From Russia with Love - 7/10
Drive Angry - Image/10
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

copstache wrote:i might be :false: but princess mononoke is my favorite miyazaki movie
not false at all
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

This film-blogger is awesomely off his rocker:
“Party On, Dudes!”: History's Hidden Despotism in Stephen Herek’s “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” :theylive:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The John R. Cherry III Cinema Convention is an annual forum hosted by Grand View University in Des Moines, to which I was honored to be invited this past February. Fifteen Midwestern film critics and writers gathered on the stage and discussed motion picture art for a live audience of 300 students and academics, in addition to National Public Radio. Professor and revered film writer Wendell Bryan Jennings (whose out-of-print A Port Dock Hound is the best book ever written about film criticism) emceed the evening and brought significant questions to the stand. The most hilarious aspect of the evening was how an Amway convention went long and delayed the Cherry conference, which kept us on the East Side of Des Moines two hours too long. Consequently, most the panel was drunk and/or had eaten too much Taco Bell and Fazoli's.

We struggled to keep our sentences straight through questions that demanded both provocative insight and jargony adlibbing secretly amounting to nothing. I personally found myself partaking in the latter when I was asked to compare my own published views on Greenaway's The Pillow Book to those of my notorious intellectual adversary, Professor N. Zukic out of New York, who had some take involving communication, phallocentricism, and "the body" or something. I said the word "diagesis" a few times, mentioned Adorno once, and concluded by adding, "Zukic can say whatever she wants, she's wrong! She's an academic hack!" This was the array of Aqua Velvas I had consumed talking, being that I hadn't read Zukic's paper on The Pillow Book for some years, and even then, I confess, I only skimmed it because I wanted to date her.

I feel that the crowd might have bought it and my anxiety was relieved. You have to take the questions you don't want to answer along with the questions you thirstily can't wait to exert your opinions with. At the end of our two-hour allotment, we were asked to name our choice for "best film of all time" – ironically, a combination of the two types of questions. It is an irritant, because it hurts to limit the decision down to one; but then again, it is the grant fulfillment of the ego naming what it favors most. The Cherry forum was probably the best platform I had ever been offered to give such an opinion.

The usual suspects were named: Citizen Kane, Grand Illusion, Children of Paradise, Troop Beverly Hills, Raging Bull, The Godfather I & II, Nashville, Knife in the Water, Wages of Fear, The Third Man. Good enough. But then my turn came. Being my first time at the conference, I was tempted to massage the ego of my patrons by listing a film by the director after which the conference was named, the great John Cherry. Or Lynch's Blue Velvet. But world events being what they were, and also being haunted by the opening line in a Thomas Mann book I had recently reread (the line being: "What is time?"), in addition to a recently invigorating screening of the Triple H vehicle, The Chaperone, I was compelled to validate the genius of filmmaker Stephen Herek publicly. Certainly I could have just as well named Citizen Kane, Grand Illusion, Murnau's Nosferatu, or 8 ½. I also felt the pressure to distinguish myself, seeing how I wanted to impress a particular young blond actress seated in the audience. That son of a bitch Duluth Gazette critic had made the maverick selection of Wages of Fear, and she was smiling at him now too much for my comfort. Instead, I selected Herek's sometimes neglected masterpiece, a complicated rumination on time, the soul, history, and language. I can only be talking about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I began my explanation thusly: "Perhaps Kane is the best film of all time. Certainly its only competitor for the first half of the 20th century is Pierre Tukalow's Franco-Grecian documentary about perilous tuna hunting, cross-cut brilliantly with sandwich eating contests, The Big Fish, all too often confused with Tim Burton's 2003 tearjerker. Either choice is legitimate. But if one film challenges Kane, for me the most legitimate choice for my personal favorite is Herek's Bill and Ted, which takes Resnais' Last Year at Marianbooth or something to a whole new level." Actress chick was smiling. Score. They always fall for that Resnais crap. You don't even have to get the titles right. Nagasaki, Mon Amour or whatever would have worked just fine.

The genius of Bill and Ted has only become more amplified in retrospect when we think about the context of its release. In early 1989, Reagan was leaving and George Bush was entering. Communism was the brink of collapse, and the Cold War was almost at an end. The fall of the Berlin Wall was bringing West and East together. We would have to look seriously at history, our nation's history, if we were to seriously move forward into the 1990s and after that the 21st century. It has been pointed out by Dolores R. Utzbig in her fascinating study on '80s cinema, I Sure Am Glad It's Raining: Cinema at the Climax of the Cold War from Raging Bull to Wild Orchid, that the United States was not unlike Inigo Montoya at the conclusion of The Princess Bride: we've been in the revenge business for so long that, once our mission is accomplished, we do not know what to do with our lives. Bill and Ted climaxes with the triumphant revision of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address, an invocation of American history that references the 19th century schisms created by slavery, and is here dually meant to portend East/West geopolitical relations on the brink of a new age. The question that we have to ask ourselves is given to us in the philosophy of Bill and Ted (played brilliantly by Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves, their casting highlighting Winter's Western features in collision with Reeves' Eastern ones), here voiced by Lincoln (Robert Barron): "Be excellent to each other…and…party on, dudes!" Indeed, the ideals of a post-Cold War world would contain mutual excellence to one another, but unfortunately, late capitalist opportunity did more harm to the provinces of the former Soviet Union than could ever be anticipated. The ideal future, such as given to us by the Wyld Stallyns, is a perfect balance of "being excellent to each other" and "party on, dudes." Bill and Ted is a warning and prophesy about history. We cannot succeed in partying unless we are also excellent to each other. Being excellent to each other is no fun without the partying. The question is, given the exuberance with which the film greets Lincoln's proclamation of "Party on, dudes!" is Herek and his two writers, Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon, critiquing our own euphoria? For decades, failure loomed over capitalism and the free world. In the end, we were "most triumphant," but at what cost? It is then significant that "Party on, dudes!" is the credo of Ted as opposed to Bill, being that Bill is, of these two characters, the more conscious of feelings. Ted is linked to militarism and unrestrained patriotism, given his father.

Our euphoric conquests are best represented in the most highlighted of the historical figures, Napoleon (played by Terry Camilleri in a scene stealing bravura performance). A military genius, Napoleon engages in each sport – whether bowling or watersliding – with care, perhaps too much care. But when he at last becomes a glowing participant, his tragic flaw is an overabundance of self confidence. Napoleon loses all trace of reason, even butting in line, his heinousness best exemplified when he stops a little girl from going down the waterside, and then going himself. We know from our own historical knowledge that Napoleon's infatuation with waterslides will spell his doom whenever he goes back to 19th century Europe, and his fateful defeat at Waterloo.

And what of Napoleon in San Dimas? There is something to how everyone can essentially understand him, or makes the best effort to interpret him. Ted tells him of Waterloo, "I don't think it's going to work," though Napoleon has not uttered a single word in English. Napoleon's flaw, in his righteous exuberance, is that while others understand him, he does not understand them. Ice cream even confuses him at first (yet once the concept of the "Ziggy Wiggy Ice Cream Pig" makes sense, he becomes a Ziggy Piggy champion). He finds himself isolated, withdrawn, and abandoned, not even sure how to settle a food and bowling bill ("Pay?")

The problems – and miracles – of communication are a key motif to this marvelous picture, showing how signs transcend temporal boundaries. It is significant that one of the first adventures for Bill and Ted (after rescuing Billy the Kid) is in Ancient Greece, where they encounter Socrates (Tony Steedman), mispronounced by the boys (so as to rhyme with "Grates"). "All we are is dust in the wind, dude," Ted, a better communicator than Bill, says to Socrates, who is struck by the profundity of what he is told. Jerald Schymie's essay, "Dust, Wind, Dude: Socrates in Film and Literature," explicates this, pointing out the significance of comparing Ancient Greece to the album cover of Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy. "That one of the standout tracks is "Over the Hills and Far Away" is an intertextual allusion to the destination not only for Socrates the character, but for Western civilization, both ending up in San Dimas 1988, just as Bill and Ted's Wyld Stallyns will pave another future path for civilization." We know the anxiety of the "modern" in San Dimas 1988 when we listen to the San Dimas High football player stumble over his own speech at the final history class presentation, "These computers…" he says to himself, unable to form coherent sentences, but his thoughts clearly voicing the chief quandary of the burgeoning Information Age of the late 1980s. The only way that he can escape from the burden of intellectual history is to fall back on familiar simulacrums devoid of introspection: "San Dimas High School Football Rules!" This moment, highly significant yet often overlooked by critics, pinpoints the danger of ignorant Party On, Dudes! philosophy.

Symbols of the present align with those of the Past to make History coherent. Socrates is not only Led Zeppelin, but also Ozzy Osbourne. Beethoven (Clifford David) loves Mozart's Requiem and Handel's Messiah, but also Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet. Even in the casting, there is the symbiosis of the transcendent modern pop psychology and antiquity. Jane Wiedlin from The Go Go's plays Joan of Arc, a character whom we should notice also wants to bring spiritual excellence together with physical excellence. Soul and Body are to be perpendicular, just as Past and Present are. Only then can the Future be the Clean Utopia that opens with Rufus (George Carlin).

Historical personages have different meaningful references devoid of their origin. The first words uttered by Bill in class are, "He's dead?" This is his answer to who is Napoleon? Yes, Napoleon is dead, as we all are in history. The resurrection for us in this dead and blank existence is the active presence of the Self in the past. This happens later on, when Bill is activated out of his "Party On, Dudes!" leisurely attitude in King Henry's kingdom by Ted's apparent death. When Bill sees the possible murderer of his best friend, Bill screams, "You killed Ted, you medieval dickweed!" Magically – or coincidentally – Ted is resurrected. We must seek for the ecstatic nature of history, not the mortal or passive: such as Caesar (rendered as food: a "salad dressing dude") or Joan of Arc (who is simply the passive female, "Noah's wife.") This is why casting the great deconstructor of language, Carlin, as our guide Rufus was another stroke of genius. (Communication and language or speaking has significance reinforced by the fact that the Time Travel mechanism is a Phone Booth).

Much has been written about the dynamics of the Time Travel philosophy in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and for that I would recommend specifically "Strange Things Are Afoot at the Circle K: The Circuits of Time in Stephen Herek" published in Film Comment magazine. However, I honestly do not think that the time travel science or logic in Bill and Ted has much to do with its genius. There is a huge debate between academics and cultural critics, for example, as to whether Bill and Ted is more closely aligned with Terminator rules or Back to the Future rules. This is a deliberate red herring on Herek's part. If we focus too much on the specifics of history, making it "other" from the present, we lose ourselves and become like the San Dimas High School Football players. Accepting that Time is itself all one thing and one's only responsibility is to be respectful of that time (the clock is always ticking in San Dimas) brings history into the present, together instead of apart. It is transcendence over death (Abraham Lincoln, Joan of Arc, and Billy the Kid exist now without the duress of impending assassinations and executions) as well as the ability to reflect on oneself in the present (Bill and Ted meet their doubles). In the Future, they struggle to catch up to who they are. "It's you," one of the council members says to them. "Yeah," Bill replies. "It's us. Who are we?" (Also see Jane Kitzburgh's "Woah and Whoa: Language in Bill and Ted," published in Pooky's Journal, Vol. IV Issue 12).

A magnificent piece about Bill and Ted is found in Hugh Walpole's anthology of film writing, Camera Shake Hump Monkey, in a piece by Florence Peasley entitled "It's Your Mom, Dude: Sex in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." Beginning from the Oedipal problem plaguing Bill, in love with his stepmom Missy whom we suspect may be copulating with Bill's father on Bill's bed in Bill's room, we note how these two characters are almost driven obsessively mad by their sex drives. In the end, the only pathway to peace is the eradication of sexuality, which seems to have happened in the future when we look at The Three Most Important People in the Universe (which addresses a class subtext in the film) and the other members of the Future Council: everyone is androgynous. Sex is a thing of the past, and that makes Bill and Ted almost bittersweet. Bill and Ted find "historical babes" in England, and Rufus even saves these women later so that they can complete Wyld Stallyns.

But ultimately sex is an impediment, as the attachment to Missy (Bill's stepmom) causes friction between Bill and Ted in addition to Bill and his father. By that same token, we know that Ted's father's own fears of failure and inadequacy (it is conspicuous that there is no woman in the household, indicating that Ted's dad is a failed husband and possibly impotent; his bald head makes him resemble a phallus) has created friction between himself and Ted. If Ted's father did not need erotic fulfillment, there would be fewer problems, and there would be no transferences of inadequacy onto Ted. The most beautiful woman in the picture is Weidlin's Joan of Arc, but she is never eroticized. She is above sexuality, her spiritual excellence anticipating the world to come in the present, indicating that the Future (which is "not History," and thus out of time, as evidenced by the dialogue shared in the Future Council sequence) is possibly an afterlife beyond space and time. Sex and the cycle of repercussion is the cycle of failure and pain, a point written at length about in Adrian Stebley's essay, "Putting Historical Babes In The Iron Maiden: The Excellent and the Bogus in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure's Erotic Violence." The endgame is ultimately to get out of the circle of sex and dying. Sex is always an impediment in this film (as it is in other Herek pictures, like Mr. Holland's Opus in addition to the plethora of hidden meanings in The Three Musketeers, the latter being perhaps the most avant-garde Hollywood production to come out of the early 1990s); Sigmund Freud (Rod Loomis) may be the smartest character of the historical figures, but with his corn dog and vacuum hose, "Siggy" is a "geek." In the cycle of sex, Freud is blind to the meaning of "geek," whereas the celibate Socrates understands it immediately. Sex may make us "very excellent barbarians," like Genghis Khan (Al Leong in his startling follow-up to Lethal Weapon), but we only lose our heads, like the mannequin at Oshman's Sporting Goods.

What is the final analysis of Bill and Ted? Would our post-Cold War picture agree with the prophecy of Abraham Lincoln? Herek is a smarter filmmaker than we give him credit for, and I believe the utopia of the future is a snide joke on his part, wishful thinking, a stage of irony playing into our own base expectations as lazy moviegoers. Could his film actually be a condemnation of Bill and Ted and Wyld Stallyns? The future is "clean," but it's also, if we look behind George Carlin, very dark. There's nothing there. And though sex causes frustration, is it not sex what makes life interesting to begin with? We are creating nothing in creating peace. Though Herek is critical of the triumphalist capitalist mindset that triumphs in the Cold War, the unease between the two superpowers was a dialectic, a friction that created boundless imagination. Bill and Ted videotape themselves in a garage, waiting on a higher power (Eddie Van Halen) to make their dream real. They become Gods themselves, but also reduce all communication to effete air guitar. This is a profoundly sad film.

It's too bad then that Herek did not direct the sequel, which could have been a wonderful second act. Attached to helm the sequel, we can spot Herekian themes, like the cyborg destroying self realization, altering history on a whim, to say nothing of the imminence of Death, whom is beaten by Bill and Ted at both Battleship and Twister. Bill and Ted, like Nietzsche's Ubermensch, "go under to overcome," descending into hell and then emerging triumphant with death on their shoulders. But unlike the more detached and obscure cognitive challenges of Excellent Adventure, Bogus Journey has themes that are too overt, not nearly as delicately handled. Though there are minor pleasures afforded by this sequel, it remains a ghostly chant of the "could have been" and Herek's absence is a great loss.

As our own present day, still haunted by the Cold War and its implications twenty years after the demise of the Soviet Union, looks to be even further from the utopia of Rufus' time, Bill and Ted becomes more interesting: as a critique of our culture, and a celebration of what it used to be. It warns of the Computer Age, while promising progress through struggle and sacrifice. Herek has continued to be one of the world's most sage and significant filmmakers. As I mentioned, his new film The Chaperone is one of the year's best films, easily, and possibly the first masterpiece of the new decade. For while many will praise The Social Network, The Chaperone gets right what The Social Network could only make oddly opaque. Casting professional wrestler Triple H as a hard-nosed ex-con chaperoning grade school kids on a bus that comes under attack, Herek has made a film exemplifying the perils in the Obama Age, as the figurehead must endure through insurmountable circumstances. There is a three-way irony here, though, that Herek wants us to pay attention to: professional wrestling, politics, and film writing are all simulations, all faked however exciting and impassioned. The film is a veiled farce and razor-tongued satire on where entertainment and politics have gone since Herek's heyday in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Whereas Bogus Journey is the sequel in name, I think that The Chaperone, if we read Bill and Ted as an ironic text that is critical of itself, is the true revised sequel, and as such it ranks with other follow-up masterpieces such as Godfather II, The Empire Strikes Back, and Ernest Goes to Jail.

We are locked in the movie theater and forced to applaud the future we are told to dream of, just as the San Dimas High School class is forced by Billy the Kid's gun to "put your hands together" and adulate Bill and Ted for a history paper/project that ultimately has very little content. Herek certainly had Triumph of the Will on his mind when filming this scene, where the historical personages are less about themselves and more about right now, in worship of San Dimas, California, and by association, our new Leaders and Dual Fuhrers, Bill S. Preston Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan. Socrates loves Billiards and Baseball, but he really only loves San Dimas. And Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address is revised to have no historical context regarding slavery. Instead, this rally is to honor Bill and Ted, and the Dionysian thrill of Party On, Dudes! A close examination of all the film's characters reveals doubles – all save for King Henry. The trick is that King Henry's doubles are Bill and Ted both, who are destined to lose their souls in their own imperial despotic reigns as Keepers of the Universe. All will hail allegiance to them. And those who don't?

"Put them in the Iron Maiden."

It will be excellent indeed. Which is code, among the poor hypnotized masses, for "heinous."
I think I've found the first BLOG I actually cared to investigate in any depth...
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

ghost boner wrote:microcosmos - 8. pretty radd for a documentary that had literally 25 seconds total of narration
Fucking love that flick!
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

yeah it was pretty cool. kinda wish it had more narration though so i couldve known what some of those things were/were doing. it was really pretty though!
formerly ghost boner