Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Scumfucker
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Scumfucker »

Hotchka! wrote:
father of lies wrote:Sometimes, sir, your posts make me very upset.
first chapter was hysterical and really awesome and then it seemed gone

same with scanner darkly

from the few i read it always seemed like he spent more time on the first chapters and i was told its common practice for authors to submit that to the publishers for the pay advance

Bro, A Scanner Darkly is one the greatest book about drug addiction ever written. Fuck yeah he wrote his books fast. He was on meth all the time. PKD was one of those rare exceptions where the drugs actually probably did contribute to his creativity for a while until he lost his mind.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Mr. Budd wrote:
Baudelaire, un tome d'Edgar Poe, traduction 23
Bergerac, uvres, tome II 25
L'Evangile de Saint Luc, en grec 29
Bloy, Le Désespéré 31
Bloy, Le Mendiant ingrat 35
Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner 38
Darien, Biribi 40
Darien, Le Voleur 43
Desbordes-Valmore, Le Serment des petits hommes 46
Elskamp, Salutations, dont d'angéliques 50
Elskamp, Enluminures 54
Un volume dépareillé du Théâtre de Florian 57
Un volume dépareillé des Mille et Une Nuits, traduction Galland 59
Grabbe, Scherz, Satire, Ironie und tiefere Bedeutung 61
Kahn, Le Livre d'images 65
Kahn, Le Conte de l'Or et du Silence 69
Lautréamont, Les Chants de Maldoror 74
Maeterlinck, Pelléas et Mélisande 75
Maeterlinck, Aglavaine et Sélysette 78
Mallarmé, Divagations 80
Mallarmé, Vers et prose 81
Mendès, Gog 83
L'Odyssée, édition Teubner 89
Péladan, Babylone 90
Rabelais 95
Jean de Chilra, La Princesse des ténèbres 98
Jean de Chilra, L'Heure sexuelle 101
Henri de Régnier, La Canne de jaspe 104
Rimbaud, Les Illuminations 109
Schwob, La Croisade des enfants 111
Ubu Roi 114
Verlaine, Sagesse 115
Verhaeren, Les Campagnes hallucinées 118
Verne, Le Voyage au Centre de la Terre 122
So I guess you, in the face of all available evidence, have manged to crawl further up your own ass? But don't mind me, I'm just a philistine, I like them movies what with the talking folks.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Hotchka! wrote:
father of lies wrote:NOW HE'S TALKIN SHIT ABOUT A SCANNER DARKLY GUYS DO SOMETHING
fucking sacred cows

from what i understand he wrote at a pretty quick pace and the work seemed to suffer for it
He wrote most everything at a quick pace. From what I've heard, the majority of his books are first drafts. He churned shit out.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Scumfucker wrote:until he lost his mind.
I suspect this oversimplification does not quite explain Exegesis.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

TheDOAD wrote:i had to take a reding break. I am still reading snow crash but it will undoubtedly be finished today. I really am enjoying it.

Anyone read any other NEal stephenson books?
I read snow crash, cryptonomicon, and the one about isaac newton, uhm.... Quicksilver. Quicksilver ruled. I've been meaning to read the rest of that series. Snow Crash is probably my least favorite. Still liked it.
kale
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

There's no Iain M. Banks love in this thread. And that is a problem.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Mr. Budd wrote:
neckbeard wrote:Still working on Don Quixote. I like it, but my pace is really slow on this one.
Which translation? If it's the Burton Raffel - read Gargantua and Pantagruel at the same pace next.
I'm not sure. It's from a "world's greatest literature" collection that was my gramma's, probably printed in the 30's.

Oh sh- http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/bkcoun/27965X1.shtml 1936
kale
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

The first two aren't part of a series. The last one is the first of a big series.
kale
Scumfucker

Post by Scumfucker »

MANTIS wrote:
Scumfucker wrote:until he lost his mind.
I suspect this oversimplification does not quite explain Exegesis.

I haven't read Exegesis, but it's my opinion that his madness was his genius. Anyone that does THAT many hard drugs becomes paranoid and delusional. But in that paranoia and break from reality, he was still very coherent in his fantasies. Maybe he didn't lose his mind, but he certainly suffered from paranoid delusions.

As you're probably already aware:
Throughout February and March 1974, he experienced a series of visions, which he referred to as "two-three-seventy four" (2-3-74), shorthand for February-March 1974. He described the initial visions as laser beams and geometric patterns, and, occasionally, brief pictures of Jesus and of ancient Rome. As the visions increased in length and frequency, Dick claimed he began to live a double life, one as himself, "Philip K. Dick", and one as "Thomas", a Christian persecuted by Romans in the 1st century A.D. Despite his history of drug use and elevated stroke risk, Dick began seeking other rationalist and religious explanations for these experiences. He referred to the "transcendentally rational mind" as "Zebra", "God" and, most often, "VALIS". Dick wrote about the experiences in the semi-autobiographical novels VALIS and Radio Free Albemuth.

At one point Dick felt that he had been taken over by the spirit of the prophet Elijah. He believed that an episode in his novel Flow My Tears The Policeman Said was a detailed retelling of a story from the Biblical Book of Acts, which he had never read.[15]

In time, Dick became paranoid, imagining plots against him by the KGB and FBI. At one point, he alleged they were responsible for a burglary of his house, from which documents were stolen. He later came to suspect that he might have committed the burglary against himself, and then forgotten he had done so. Dick himself speculated as to whether he may have suffered from schizophrenia.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

He was definitely paranoid, but I don't think his drug-addled paranoia completely explains the events he explored in Exegesis (semi-fictionalized in VALIS)
Scumfucker

Post by Scumfucker »

MANTIS wrote:He was definitely paranoid, but I don't think his drug-addled paranoia completely explains the events he explored in Exegesis (semi-fictionalized in VALIS)

Maybe not. I believe he would have been a great writer with or without drugs, but a VERY different writer if he never did drugs.
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

neckbeard wrote:Still working on Don Quixote. I like it, but my pace is really slow on this one.
I read that book for months and months. Once I hit the chapter telling the story of "The Curious Impertinent" -- which is probably the only part of the entire book I didn't enjoy -- I hit the wall and decided on a routine of 200 pages of DQ, two other novels and then back to DQ. Obviously it slowed me down, but I needed a break.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

The Quiet American (Graham Greene) - 7.5/10. Had to read this for class.

Haven't read anything on my own in about 8 or 9 months, so reading this has kind of put me back in the groove to seeking out shit I might enjoy a lot. Only if I can find proper time now.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

altars of radness wrote:
I read that book for months and months. Once I hit the chapter telling the story of "The Curious Impertinent" -- which is probably the only part of the entire book I didn't enjoy -- I hit the wall and decided on a routine of 200 pages of DQ, two other novels and then back to DQ. Obviously it slowed me down, but I needed a break.
i read about a third of don quixote. the good thing about it, it is written like a sitcom. so you can read a few chapters now, then put it aside for a while, then go on.
rīdoonrīmenbā
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

altars of radness wrote:
I'm on leave from The Brothers Karamazov, myself.
fvkk
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

ibn Horowitz wrote:
Mr. Budd wrote:
Baudelaire, un tome d'Edgar Poe, traduction 23
Bergerac, uvres, tome II 25
L'Evangile de Saint Luc, en grec 29
Bloy, Le Désespéré 31
Bloy, Le Mendiant ingrat 35
Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner 38
Darien, Biribi 40
Darien, Le Voleur 43
Desbordes-Valmore, Le Serment des petits hommes 46
Elskamp, Salutations, dont d'angéliques 50
Elskamp, Enluminures 54
Un volume dépareillé du Théâtre de Florian 57
Un volume dépareillé des Mille et Une Nuits, traduction Galland 59
Grabbe, Scherz, Satire, Ironie und tiefere Bedeutung 61
Kahn, Le Livre d'images 65
Kahn, Le Conte de l'Or et du Silence 69
Lautréamont, Les Chants de Maldoror 74
Maeterlinck, Pelléas et Mélisande 75
Maeterlinck, Aglavaine et Sélysette 78
Mallarmé, Divagations 80
Mallarmé, Vers et prose 81
Mendès, Gog 83
L'Odyssée, édition Teubner 89
Péladan, Babylone 90
Rabelais 95
Jean de Chilra, La Princesse des ténèbres 98
Jean de Chilra, L'Heure sexuelle 101
Henri de Régnier, La Canne de jaspe 104
Rimbaud, Les Illuminations 109
Schwob, La Croisade des enfants 111
Ubu Roi 114
Verlaine, Sagesse 115
Verhaeren, Les Campagnes hallucinées 118
Verne, Le Voyage au Centre de la Terre 122
So I guess you, in the face of all available evidence, have manged to crawl further up your own ass? But don't mind me, I'm just a philistine, I like them movies what with the talking folks.
Suggesting stuff to read in a thread about stuff to read makes you feel some sense of churlish defense? Those aren't my books written by or for me. Alfred Jarry said those are what you should read...and I think his suggestion is worth sharing. You can read them to. And you can form your own opinion. I don't think I'm better than you for it. But I bet you'll like some of these books if you read them.
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

ah, now i get it. jarry's list of best books.
damn, i've read nothing from that list, except "ubu roi". things like that can annoy me immensly.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Phritz wrote:ah, now i get it. jarry's list of best books.
damn, i've read nothing from that list, except "ubu roi". things like that can annoy me immensly.

No Baudelaire? No Lautremont?

I've read about 20% of that list maybe. I guess about 50% was ever available in English and I can't read French.

Gargantua and Pantagruel from Rabelais has that Crowley-borrowed phrase - Do What Thou Wilst.... and stuf about wiping your butt with geese and lots of lists.....kinda tits-up at points - but so worth it.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Albert Camus - the Myth of Sisyphus. second time through, and damn i really love this book. in the interim I read some Kierkegaard, and from my perspective Camus seems to lay waste to him.
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

Mr. Budd wrote:
Phritz wrote:ah, now i get it. jarry's list of best books.

No Baudelaire? No Lautremont?

I've read about 20% of that list maybe. I guess about 50% was ever available in English and I can't read French.

Gargantua and Pantagruel from Rabelais has that Crowley-borrowed phrase - Do What Thou Wilst.... and stuf about wiping your butt with geese and lots of lists.....kinda tits-up at points - but so worth it.
yeah, i know. knowing that there are books out there which people value that high which i haven't read and don't know what kind of treasures might lie within them, really upsets me. also i'm just a fucking slow reader... can't help it, trying to speed up, makes me think about how fast i read and whether i still get the content or not... and makes me not get anything of it ...

i've read some beaudelaire, mallamé, of course parts of the odyssey, but not the titles mentioned in that list. no lautremont so far though. i'm trying to get my french in shape, just to be able to read all that. there's so much to be found and translations are usually horrible, especially with poetry.
rīdoonrīmenbā
featherboa
The 7000 Club

Post by featherboa »

whoa

whoa

this was written when? 1605

Help me figure out what translation I have. It was published in 1936. I hope it's not one of the terrible ones. Mr. Budd, do you know about the John Rutherford or Edith Grossman translations? They came after the one you suggested.
Image Certified Poster
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

featherboa wrote:whoa

whoa

this was written when? 1605

Help me figure out what translation I have. It was published in 1936. I hope it's not one of the terrible ones. Mr. Budd, do you know about the John Rutherford or Edith Grossman translations? They came after the one you suggested.
isn't the translator mentioned somewhere within the details on the book?
usually at the beginning of any book there's like half a page with details on the publshing company etc.. there should be the name of the translator too.
rīdoonrīmenbā
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

Hotchka! wrote:
father of lies wrote:I think your mom stabbed you in the head with a hangar, and your bran suffers for it. First Night of the Living Dead, and now PKD!
rooted in great ideas but mediocre execution
jesus christ i would puke on your shoes if you said this to me in person.
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

TheDOAD wrote:i had to take a reding break. I am still reading snow crash but it will undoubtedly be finished today. I really am enjoying it.

Anyone read any other NEal stephenson books?
i've been on again off again working on system of the world for forever. it's really really really good.
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
Goatus
Goatus

Post by Goatus »

I'm reading cheesy fantasy novels because I'm a dork and ran out of anything else to read. I can't say I'm not enjoying every minute of it though.

11/10
god isn't interested in technology. he cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time forty-three species of parrots nipples for men