Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
MPD
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by MPD »

Munster, Go Home! - 7
The Munsters' Revenge - 3
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

The Frighteners ('96) - 6.5/10 - I watched the directors cut, and it's not all that different or better than the original version. Apparently the same cgi computers for this were used for The Lord of the Rings, which is odd, because this looks incredibly dated and mostly bad! Jeffrey Combs' insane performance is equally amazing and terrible.

Backtrace ('90) - 7.5/10 - Not a great movie, but it was thoroughly bizarre and I found it pretty entertaining. Jodie Foster is an LED sign artist(?) who puts edgy slogans on flashing LED scrolls and it's considered high art. She witnesses Joe Pesci slice open some guys throat with his henchmen, John Turturro (meek and brainy), and Dean Stockwell (cold and calculating). She goes to the cops (Fred Ward and Sy Richardson), but she'd have to go into the witness protection program and end her career - so she just bolts. Mr. Big (Vincent Price) decides to call in the best hitman around, Milo (Dennis Hopper) to track her down, but he becomes obsessed with her art and writing. It seems like Hopper (director), and Dick Clark (producer) called in some favors, because there's cameos all over: Bob Dylan, Alex Cox, Charlie Sheen, etc. Hopper disavowed the movie and it was credited to "Alan Smithee" after it was cut from 180 minutes down to 98, but a 116 min directors cut was made for TV, which is the version I watched.

Deep Rising ('98) - 8/10 - Campy action horror that hits some 90's nostalgia notes for me. I should probably see some other Stephen Sommers flicks - I have never seen The Mummy movies or Van Helsing. I hated these kinds of flicks when they were in theaters, but that was 20+ years ago.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Hunter wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 am

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves ('23) - 8/10 - This is pretty much the opposite side of the coin to Shazam! - as it pulls off off enough charm that the flaws were easily overlooked. Plenty of fan service/easter eggs for D&D stans (whether it's pen & paper, cartoon, or video games), but does so without shoving it in your face. As an action/comedy flick, this somehow worked really well. I'd still recommend approaching with skepticism, but it's worth a watch.
eight is still kinda high but i pretty much agree. i laughed enough i lost track of how many times. chris pine really can carry stuff if he has to because i didnt even think the cast was up to par either

the rube goldbergian plans of a d&d party when given a high level magic item being a core to the plotting in itself was :tup2:

i like this song!
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I know I rate movies pretty generously, but I try to compare them to movies of similar ilk. Maybe that's weird? It doesn't make sense to me to put Maniac Cop, Thief, and Stalker on the same 1-10 scale. But I get why people would disagree with my numbering.

D&D was a really fun flick, and I will watch again if only for the character designs.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I liked it too and will probably watch it again in a few years / 10
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Ghosts of Mars 4.5/10
I guess every director shits out a turd sometimes...it's got a pulp scifi plot that sounds ok on paper, but doesn't work as a film, has laughable characters, shit dialogue, some painful digital effects, and mediocre action scenes that miss so many opportunities for gory deaths. The metal soundtrack grated on my nerves horribly. The (train-)models and matte paintings were great though.

The Warriors - 7.5/10
Another enjoyable Walter Hill film. Michael Beck has amazing charisma as the Warrior's replacement gang leader. Really looking forward to watching the 48 hours movies and Red Heat.

Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - 7/10
Weaker than 1 and 3, but still pretty respectable - Freddy's powers don't seem to be tied to characters dreaming anymore, and this makes it fresh and different from the other Nightmare films. Lots of gay subtext (there's a documentary about it called Scream, Queen! that I need to watch), lots of great handmade effects, I was thoroughly entertained.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
MPD

Post by MPD »

Love to Love You, Donna Summer - 8.5
Body Bags - 8
Omega Doom - 6

The Wounded Man - 7.5
Being Mary Tyler Moore - 8.5
Predator - 10
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

the long good friday - 10

I have 8 children.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Troll (1986) - 6.5/10
Decent horror comedy with lots of cool effects and some charming characters.

Yor, the Hunter from the Future - 6/10
Reb Brown is always a treat, and he gets to scream fairly often in this film. Lots of cheesy shit here, butstill felt like 2 hours despite being a 85 minute film. I don't know, I didnt even enjoy Samurai Cop much, so maybe I've gotten old and I simply don't enjoy these c-flicks as much as I used to...
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:07 pm Ghosts of Mars 4.5/10
I guess every director shits out a turd sometimes...it's got a pulp scifi plot that sounds ok on paper, but doesn't work as a film, has laughable characters, shit dialogue, some painful digital effects, and mediocre action scenes that miss so many opportunities for gory deaths. The metal soundtrack grated on my nerves horribly. The (train-)models and matte paintings were great though.

The Warriors - 7.5/10
Another enjoyable Walter Hill film. Michael Beck has amazing charisma as the Warrior's replacement gang leader. Really looking forward to watching the 48 hours movies and Red Heat.
I've never been able to get through Ghosts of Mars... one day, I will suffer through it just so I can say I've seen every Carpenter flick.

I've also been on a Walter Hill kick over the past couple years, with Extreme Prejudice being the most recent one I've seen... I recommend checking it out! It's been over 30 years since I've seen the 48 hours movies, so they're on my rewatch list. I looked up the soundtrack recently and I did not remember the main theme going this hard.

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

John Wick 4 - Ain’t there no police in this universe?!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Hunter wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:07 am
THE KILL wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:07 pm Ghosts of Mars 4.5/10

The Warriors - 7.5/10
I've never been able to get through Ghosts of Mars... one day, I will suffer through it just so I can say I've seen every Carpenter flick.

I've also been on a Walter Hill kick over the past couple years, with Extreme Prejudice being the most recent one I've seen... I recommend checking it out! It's been over 30 years since I've seen the 48 hours movies, so they're on my rewatch list. I looked up the soundtrack recently and I did not remember the main theme going this hard.
:lol: and Ice Cube.. fucking Ice Cube... and he's by far not the worst thing about this film!

Watched Extreme Prejudice a year or so ago, great film, bit long maybe, but fuck it. :cheers:
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I've never made it more than 30 minutes into Ghosts of Mars.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

indiana jones dial of destiny - 5
the gate - 9

just a perfect lesson in the use of cheap effect 80s special effects vs endless eyeball scrubbing weightless cgi bs in 2023

I have 8 children.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

yeah indy 5 was so so so forgettable 4/10 maybe? in one eye & out the other. crystal skull was at least fun to laugh at, and had CGI atrocities that really stick with you

80 for brady 6/10 nailed what it was going for, which was horrible so 🤷

sisu 7.2/10 pretty good insane action
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:24 pm indiana jones dial of destiny - 5
the gate - 9

just a perfect lesson in the use of cheap effect 80s special effects vs endless eyeball scrubbing weightless cgi bs in 2023
Haven't yet watched Indy 5 cause I don't really care for it for exactly the reasons you outlined. The tragic thing is modern films use plenty of handmade effects, but either there's CGI on top of it (which can be a good thing, see Starship Troopers or Jurassic Park; Phil Tippet's team created all the action scenes in stop motion for both, which is why they still look great today) or they are devoid of the magic they used to have because you think they're CGI (see Prometheus, which, obviously, despite what some board members think, was a piece of shit, but had amazing practical effects).
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Prometheus rules.
MPD

Post by MPD »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:24 pmindiana jones dial of destiny
shut it off after elderly Indy got woken up by hippies.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Terminator
Terminator 2

i dunno like 7s or 8s
at least they know what to do with the programmers
Image Certified Poster
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

D&D ruled. I've seen it twice now.
No Cunting Elves
Eight Bit Alien

featherboa wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:36 am Terminator
Terminator 2

i dunno like 7s or 8s
FALSE. FALSE

10 and 11 respectively. The old and new testament of a modern sacred text.

No fate.
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Dungeons & Dragons - 4
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

no fate did get me worked up

ok i'll bump up my scores
Image Certified Poster
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:33 am
featherboa wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:36 am Terminator
Terminator 2

i dunno like 7s or 8s
FALSE. FALSE

10 and 11 respectively. The old and new testament of a modern sacred text.

No fate.
This never occurred to me before and it doesn't really mean anything at this point with 20 thousand horrible sequels following and the timeline being completely fucked but at the end of T2 they melted the T1000, the arm from 1984, the first chip from 1984 and the T800 from 1995. However the OTHER arm that the 1995 T800 was forced to self amputate with the rebar was still stuck in the gears at the end.
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Mindfield ('89) - 7.5/10 - Michael Ironside is a cop organizing a strike when he starts having acid flashbacks from MKULTRA experiments conducted by Christopher Plummer. A bit on the slower side pacing-wise, but pretty solid for a Canadian independent mystery/thriller.

Cutter's Way ('81) - 7.5/10 - I felt like I needed a shower after watching this. Jeff Bridges sees someone dump a body and cops bring him in for questioning. When his disabled, alcoholic, psychotic vietnam vet friend takes a personal interest in the case, things start getting out of hand. It seems like everyone involved is at rock bottom, drinking liquor straight from the bottle, living with complete disregard for anything and everything.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol.3 ('23) - 6.5/10 - Felt both manipulative and formulaic... which is to be expected for Disney Marvel movies, but not necessarily from James Gunn. Maybe he is sick of it too... that GotG Xmas special was a snooze as well. To be honest, I didn't think GotG vol. 2 was great either and I've been burnt on Christian Pratt for a while now. Gunn's schtick can be a little grating but I enjoyed Peacemaker and that Suicide Squad reboot from a couple years back. This is watchable, but similar to the last Ant-Man flick, I was already checked out for the standard "big battle" ending. 2.5 hours long too.