Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
stigmata
Keep it thick...

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by stigmata »

vampire kisses vol 1 - 10/10
the nose knows wrote:She is quite the wiggly woman.
Skyclad
Streetcleaner

Post by Skyclad »

Tropic Thunder. 7/10.

Hellboy 2 (BluRay). 9/10.

Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull (BluRay). 7.5/10.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

fucking skyclad

A Confederacy of Dunces - 9/10
Succeeded in making me want to thunder aloud indignantly when I'm by myself
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

riley-o wrote:A Confederacy of Dunces - 9/10
Succeeded in making me want to thunder aloud indignantly when I'm by myself
this book owns
Slantycat
Necrology

Post by Slantycat »

The Horrible and Terrifying Deeds and Words of the Very Renowned Pantagruel King of the Dipsodes, Son of the Great Giant Gargantua, or any of the Gargantua and Pantagruel series by good ole Rabelais -- 10/10, bishes.

How's one to resist sweet scatological lulz like these!? :bean:

"... I have, answered Gargantua, by a long and curious experience, found out a means to wipe my bum, the most lordly, the most excellent, and the most convenient that ever was seen... Once I did wipe me with a gentle-woman’s velvet mask, and found it to be good; for the softness of the silk was very voluptuous and pleasant to my fundament... Afterwards, in dunging behind a bush, I found a March-cat, and with it I wiped my breech, but her claws were so sharp that they scratched and exulcerated all my perinee...

Will you have any more of it? Yes, yes, answered Grangousier. Then, said Gargantua,

A Roundelay.

In shitting yes’day I did know
The sess I to my arse did owe:
The smell was such came from that slunk,
That I was with it all bestunk:
O had but then some brave Signor
Brought her to me I waited for,
In shitting!

I would have cleft her watergap,
And join’d it close to my flipflap,
Whilst she had with her fingers guarded
My foul nockandrow, all bemerded
In shitting.
"

Squee.
ImageImageImageImage
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

William Gibson - Burning Chrome (just the story, not the collection) - 9
The bits about the stump made me hot...

Jack Kerouac - Dharma Bums - 8
Climbing mountains, eating beans, and talking about being bodhissatvas should be miserably boring, but this book is downright beautiful. The narrator irritated me a few times...

Illuminatus! - Robert Anton Wilson - completely fucking unrateable
Well. Shit. My second go through. It was a lot... easier this time. Knowing what happens made keeping track of the timelines much easier. I don't even know hwere to begin with discussing this. Hopefully, when the ET anthropologists land and sift through our ruins, they find this and think it is a religious text.

...Isn't it?

Fuck, man. My coworkers looked at me like I was a talking dolphin wearing scuba gear when I read the bit about Conan and the Mayans, and Sauron being a shoggoth in the break room. I must have been cackling like a Corky.
fvkk
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I'll read the Illuminatus!/Trilogy a second time in the future, not anytime soon, but I will...I swear it on Markoff Chaney's oversized head!

--The MGT
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Neverwhere: 4/10
Nothing there at all. Easy to get through, lifts a lot from Terry Pratchett's style I thought. Everything in it seemed very obvious. I remember liking American Gods more....
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

been working on these:

peter trudgill - sociolinguistics: an introduction to language and society

Russel Mokhiber - Corporate crime and violence: big buiness power and the abuse of the public trust

Hakim Bey (the guy who coined the term world wide web) - Temporary Autonomous Zone, ontological anarchy, poetic terrorism

all of these are thus far 10/10. i'd read parts of T.A.Z. before, but did not have the collection

for fiction, i've been re-reading PKD's "the clans of the alphane moon" and Bruce Sterlings "schismatrix plus". also both 10/10
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Black Jacques wrote:Image

10/10
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Fuck yeah! This has been one of my all time favorite books since I was a kid....
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

Gay for Cock wrote:I'm only 140 pages into it but The Jungle by Upton Sinclair is already 10/10.
it only gets better, and more soul crushing. sinclair and kafka, to paraphrase Robert Anton Wilson, are the men who seemed to have the most insight into the modern condition.
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
fecal flakes
Certified False.

Post by fecal flakes »

father of lies wrote:Hopefully, when the ET anthropologists land and sift through our ruins, they find this and think it is a religious text.

...Isn't it?
Very far from it.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

fecal flakes wrote:
father of lies wrote:Hopefully, when the ET anthropologists land and sift through our ruins, they find this and think it is a religious text.

...Isn't it?
Very far from it.
You know what I mean. At least as well as I know what I mean, anyway.

TAZ is fucking fantastic.

Douglas MOTHERFUCKIN Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy audiobook - fucking 1000000000000000

I really feel like a false posting audio books, but I get so much time to listen to them at work...

This is my fourth or fifth go through this, my second after puberty. I'm not even going to bother talking about it. If you haven't read this, you are an asshole. I'm going to look for audiobook versions of the rest of them now, I think.

I started it while on the bus to work. The little tv screens always have quotable quotes mixed in with the news and retarded trivia, and they're usually from pretty cool people, like Emerson, Thoreau, Heinlein, Twain, and even Robert Anton Wilson. As Arthur was waking up and seeing bulldozers in his mirrors and thinking about yellow, the line about being uncomfortable on either foot popped up on the screen.

THPOOKY
fvkk
Slantycat
Necrology

Post by Slantycat »

thürstön.3®®0® wrote:been working on these:

peter trudgill - sociolinguistics: an introduction to language and society

Russel Mokhiber - Corporate crime and violence: big buiness power and the abuse of the public trust

Hakim Bey (the guy who coined the term world wide web) - Temporary Autonomous Zone, ontological anarchy, poetic terrorism

all of these are thus far 10/10. i'd read parts of T.A.Z. before, but did not have the collection

for fiction, i've been re-reading PKD's "the clans of the alphane moon" and Bruce Sterlings "schismatrix plus". also both 10/10

Seriously good stuff. :tup:
ImageImageImageImage
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

In Dubious Battle - John Steinbeck
9/10
Haven't ever read any Steinbeck, this one was nauseatingly good at points. Seemed a bit strident at first but it really grew on me. Ending was a real bummer. Aww Gibbs.

I guess Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men must be really something, seeing as how they are considered a cut above this one.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

I've been reading The Fountainhead for the past month....god damn is this book dragging on slowly..
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

Crooked Little Vein - 8/10

immature and dumb at times but really witty and clever the rest
I LOL'd hard half a dozen times
book is :awesome:
Gay for Cock
Olde Timer

Post by Gay for Cock »

I'm getting all these for christmas :tup: Can't wait!

Anarchism: A Collection of Revolutionary Writings by Peter Kropotkin

Politics of Experience by R.D. Laing

The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power by Joel Bakan

Society Against the State: Essays in Political Anthropology by Pierre Clastres

Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben

Henry David Thoreau : A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers / Walden; Or, Life in the Woods / The Maine Woods / Cape Cod
by Henry David Thoreau Library of America collection.

The Communist Manifesto- Marx/Engels

Titus Andronicus -Shakespeare
"It is the maze that dreams. And I am lost."
Gay for Cock
Olde Timer

Post by Gay for Cock »

Smegma wrote: A Confederacy of Dunces (even though I've read this, I wanted to listen to it at work)

I'm going to have to read this again after all the praise in this thread. I read it 8 years ago and I remember it being somewhat overrated. Parts were very funny but the rest was kind of dry and the character just got on my nerves way too much. And the whole time I was reading it I kept thinking of The Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. They had to of based him off of Ignatius.Image
Great Invisible Crashing
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Great Invisible Crashing »

wait until spring, bandini - john fante. 7/10.
Gay for Cock
Olde Timer

Post by Gay for Cock »

thürstön.3®®0® wrote:
Gay for Cock wrote:I'm only 140 pages into it but The Jungle by Upton Sinclair is already 10/10.
it only gets better, and more soul crushing. sinclair and kafka, to paraphrase Robert Anton Wilson, are the men who seemed to have the most insight into the modern condition.

I've been slacking on reading but I'll be finishing this book tonight. Yeah, it is pretty soul crushing but at times it teeters on being absurd, like Lifetime made for tv drama flicks absurd, with how everything leads to ruin for this guy. But it's still a great book. Poor Stanislovas :cry: Now Playing: Cannibal Corpse - Devoured by Vermin
Gay for Cock
Olde Timer

Post by Gay for Cock »

Smegma wrote:for Gay for Cock:

A Confederacy of Dunces [UNABRIDGED] MP3/128Kbps 746.79 MB
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/510037/23948960/
Registration is closed for the month :( I'll bookmark it and try again in a few weeks.

If you want to talk about Hemingway you should speak to Kurt Russell's Beard. I don't know if he checks PMs but it wouldn't hurt to send him one. You might have better luck on myspace. The Sun Also Rises is a a good book. That along with a collection of his short stories might be a good place to start. I remember KRB saying that he really liked his short stories and that they were some of Hemingways best work.
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

Now re-reading Women by Bukowski. So far, just as good or better the 2nd time round.
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Goodnight Moon - 1/10

I don't get what all the fuss is about.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

In Sierra Leone by Michael Jackson (the anthropologist, not the singer or the beer critic) 9/10

Only Michael Jackson, with his lifetime of experience in Sierra Leone and his poetic sensibility could have possibly written this book. Best book by an anthropologist I've read this year.