Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Nissos
Gear in the Machine

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Nissos »

Godel, Escher, and Bach - 9/10
The Crying of Lot 49 - 8/10
Big Sur - 7/10
SAUSAGES!!!!!!!!!!
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by SAUSAGES!!!!!!!!!! »

Tactics and the Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon
Alfonso
Keep it thick...

Post by Alfonso »

Nick Zedd - Totem of the Depraved 5.5/10

Found this (signed, of all things) at this Brooklyn bookstore... it's entertaining, for all its contrived nihilistic hyperbole. As far as exaggerated autobiographies go, Kinski's All I Need Is Love wipes the floor with this guy.
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

Live Girls by Ray Garton - 5.8
Good descriptive method, but just a so-so read.
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

red mars - kim stanley robinson - 8/10
already powering down green mars; these books are so goddamn good
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

ibn Horowitz wrote:red mars - kim stanley robinson - 8/10
already powering down green mars; these books are so goddamn good
In my mind Red Mars is the best movie ever. :tup:
No Cunting Elves
The Seventh Son
How's them beans, ma?

Post by The Seventh Son »

Orson Scott Card: Speaker for the Dead- 6.5
Disjointed and clunky. I feel like the end was thrown together briefly just so he could get to writing Xenocide. I'm apprehensive about continuing the series right now. Can anyone offer some opinions? In the meantime, I'll probably start the third in the Alvin Maker Series.
Mari_Mar wrote:"It's on hold. I can't write right now. All my aggression is used up stretching my new pussy."
soiled depends wrote:
noah thirteen wrote:Cattle Decapitation have a "representative"?!
Yeah, it's called "fuckin brutality"...I guess you've never heard of it before....
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

The Seventh Son wrote:Orson Scott Card: Speaker for the Dead- 6.5
Disjointed and clunky. I feel like the end was thrown together briefly just so he could get to writing Xenocide. I'm apprehensive about continuing the series right now. Can anyone offer some opinions? In the meantime, I'll probably start the third in the Alvin Maker Series.
Really?! When I read this for the first time I was astounded at how much better it was than EG. Definitely finish the series though. I enjoyed the following books just as much.
No Cunting Elves
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Honky Kong 64 wrote:
The Seventh Son wrote:Orson Scott Card: Speaker for the Dead- 6.5
Really?! When I read this for the first time I was astounded at how much better it was than EG. Definitely finish the series though. I enjoyed the following books just as much.
agreed, I enjoy the turn he took with that book, call me crazy but I thought it was the best out of the 4
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

Green Mars - kim stanley robinson - 8/10
i've had a euphoric reaction each time i've realized that each sequel is longer than the book preceding it

pure - andrew miller - 7/10
good. i read it in a long sitting and i wish i'd given it a little more time. i like when historical novels make the people in the book seem simultaneously recognizable, almost modern in their speech, ideas, etc and also like fucking aliens in terms of some of their logic, the things they value or expect
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I'm trying to remember the last book I cried while reading. I think it was Where the Red Fern Grows.
No Cunting Elves
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Claire Wendland - A Heart for the Work: Journeys Through an African Medical School 6/10

Erik Larson - In a Garden of Beasts: The Extraordinary Story of One Family Witnessing Hitler's Rise to Absolute Power 8.4/10
pooptastik
Too Many Sads Too Many Regrets

Post by pooptastik »

The Spear of Destiny - Ravenscroft
finally finished it, was a bit heavy and after just finishing Dawkin's God Dellusion, there's a lot of parts where i had to roll my eyes but some parts are actually KVLT AND GRIM. Especially the chapter about Ashes

currently reading: Men Women & Children - Kultgen
i need something really base after the 2 previous books.
Zerohero
Total Recluse

Post by Zerohero »

electronicham wrote:I got halfway through ON A PALE HORSE in Afghanistan and just picked that back up. Should be done with it SOON. Then I need to move onto Martian Timeslip by PKD because I also got about halfway through that in Afghanistan. Once I get through those, I am either moving onto Shamp of the City Solo or going to start the juggernaut of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.

:?: Piers Anthony?

I've got a box of paperbacks I'll have to drop off next time I'm at Topps. just let me know when you finish up your shift Greg...
rileyo wrote:i like that she's wearing high heels &stockings to get fucked by dead pigs,that's some real forward thinking metal right there
LordDarksoul wrote:Thanks for the concern, Fucktractor.
BUNGVOX wrote:i don't want metallica to shit their pants. i want metallica to shit MY pants.
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jen said destroy »

I'm reading the Atopia Chronicles because people have been fawning over it. The story is good, but the writing is a little lackluster. I'll finish just to see where it goes. Any other scifi nerds read this? (7/10, so far)
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

The Orc King - 7
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
Deadhouse
Inhale/Exhale

Post by Deadhouse »

TheDOAD wrote:
electronicham wrote: the juggernaut of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.
You should just skip that one.
False.

Although, Quicksilver starts out really, really slow. Good seies though. Jack Shaftoe is the man.
Deadhouse
Inhale/Exhale

Post by Deadhouse »

Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. 7/10 for the series.
Old Man's War 8.5/10
Ghost Brigades 7.5/10
The Last Colony 7.5/10
Zoes Tale 6.5/10 This one was almost painful to go through. Main character is the teeange daughter of the main character from book 1 and 3. Scalzi must have watched a few seasons of Gilmore Girls to research how teeange girls talk.
danox3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by danox3 »

NANOplague wrote:The Orc King - 7
Half way through Charon's Claw. It's decent, but I want another Icewind Dale trilogy. It's weird reading with the old gang all long dead.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

electronicham wrote:Finished On a Pale Horse

Book is totally worth reading once. The atmosphere of the 80s that this book put me in was the best. The ending is sort of bullshit as I don't think anyone could outwit Satan.

Kind of embarrassing but there was this part in the book where Satan appeared on television and was trying to seduce Death with a succubus. He was smacking her ass and it gave me a chub. Totally pictured Ginger Lynn as the succubus.
Man I haven't read that in forever. You should give the Bio of a Space Tyrant books a go. Total space smut.
danox3 wrote:Icewind Dale trilogy.
:tup:
No Cunting Elves
Deadhouse
Inhale/Exhale

Post by Deadhouse »

TheDOAD wrote:
Deadhouse wrote:
TheDOAD wrote:
electronicham wrote: the juggernaut of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.
You should just skip that one.
False.

Although, Quicksilver starts out really, really slow. Good seies though. Jack Shaftoe is the man.
Well one of us likes reading about a boring bitch eating dinner lots of times and one of us is a man.

Jack shaftoe is in like 1/8th of tat booka nd it turns to utter shit as soon as they leave london / newton stuff.

Why not pick up the juggernaut of 50 shades of gray next?
True. Jack isn't in Quicksilver much, but he is in THe Confusion quite a bit. I guess after going through ASOIAF, I am desensitized to scenes of people eating.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Deadhouse wrote:True. Jack isn't in Quicksilver much, but he is in THe Confusion quite a bit. I guess after going through ASOIAF, I am desensitized to scenes of people eating.
haha
Image Certified Poster
The Seventh Son
How's them beans, ma?

Post by The Seventh Son »

Orson Scott Card- Prentice Alvin 6.8

This is definitely a little underwhelming coming off the heels of The Red Prophet. I enjoyed the storyline, but there just wasn't a whole lot of action here. I'm sure after reading the next one that this will be better in retrospect.
Mari_Mar wrote:"It's on hold. I can't write right now. All my aggression is used up stretching my new pussy."
soiled depends wrote:
noah thirteen wrote:Cattle Decapitation have a "representative"?!
Yeah, it's called "fuckin brutality"...I guess you've never heard of it before....
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

Some pre-summer shits:

Philip Roth - Our Gang

Great satire of Nixon and his henchmen written as a play. You'd expect it to be dated, but the focus on abortion, war and dishonesty makes it pretty relevant. Really funny. 6.8

Paul Auster - Moon Palace

Beautiful and compelling -- for the first three quarters, and then it kinda falls apart at the end. I love the way Auster writes about ideas; he really gets inside them and explores them from the most interesting angles. 7.3

G.K. Chesterton - The Father Brown Mysteries

The only reason I read this is because I keep seeing Chesterton's name popping up with relation to other writers I like and it was cheap. The writing's sharp and smart without being overly verbose, and I guess the stories are clever, but they still read like the script to a frumpy PBS mystery, which I think they ended up as. 6

Against my better judgment, I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow. I clawed my way through the first chapter, feeling mostly pissed off, but I can actually discern a bit of story in the second and I'm enjoying it so far.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i just downloaded 3 books by thomas pynchon in like, all told, probably less than 8 seconds.. :fp: