Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

So I read the first Mistborn by Sanderson. This is the guy who took over for Jordan?! The characters were kind of endearing but I really feel like he does not understand TRUE EVIL. Also the magic system felt clunky as fuck. Decent ending though, which surprised me. That's the only thing that makes me want to continue with the series.
No Cunting Elves
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Requiem For A Dream - H Selby Jr.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie. The doctors and authority figures in the novel end up being the most horrific people of all, far worse than the addiction itself even though they are only around for less than 5% of the time. Or the author is telling you this will lead you into the jaws of monsters even if you don't self disintegrate.

Starting right into "The Room"
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Finally finished The Dying Grass

Still working on Journey To The End Of The Night
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Bro just rate something fffs
No Cunting Elves
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

u
Image Certified Poster
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Rotting Ways to Misery: The History of Finnish Death Metal - 5/10 pretty cool, bit of a puff piece. would be a 6 but they quote katshit shovel

Discovering American Folklife: Essays on Folk Culture and the Pennsylvania Dutch by Don Yoder - 7/10 interesting read and reference, but would not recommend it to anyone other than nicetrynovice
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Tour de Lovecraft by Ken Hite - 6/10 these two books are basically Ken's opinions on Lovecraft stories. I like what he has to say though we disagree fatally about The Shadow out Time. This could have been a blog and I hope these books are printed on-demand - but I still liked it.

Der Volksfreund: Hex Signs, Folktales, and Witchcraft of the Pennsylvania Dutch by Hunter Yoder - 1/10 I thought this was by Don Yoder or maybe a relative. This is just a bunch of emails and shit put into a big ol book. Very cool photos of barns, but this should have just been a web page. I know that Yoder is a very common last name, I gambled and lost.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Knifemaking by Bo Bergman - 8/10 great guide on Scandinavian and hidden tang knives, I got this used for a pittance. The line screen (printing resolution) of the pictures is pretty low, almost like a newspaper level clarity so that sucks. It's cool to have a reliable source of info instead of watching lots of dinguses on Youtube who make knives that I don't think they actually use.

Heroes of the Metal Underground - 6/10 nice guide to underground USHM with a bunch of info you can't get on metal-archives. Flipping to any ol page is just like hitting the random button on that site because a lot of these bands suck too. I am getting older though and I will probably be super into this bullshit in like 5 years.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Geeheeb wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:52 am Der Volksfreund: Hex Signs, Folktales, and Witchcraft of the Pennsylvania Dutch by Hunter Yoder - 1/10 I thought this was by Don Yoder or maybe a relative. This is just a bunch of emails and shit put into a big ol book. Very cool photos of barns, but this should have just been a web page. I know that Yoder is a very common last name, I gambled and lost.
What got you interested in this?

My wife's family is p.dutch. They have a few funny little traditions which I often tease, as being rooted in some odd black magic.

I bought a copy of this as an annoying present for a cousin, but I don't think anyone found it as amusing as I did:

https://sacred-texts.com/ame/pow/index.htm

My favorite was "How to attach a dog to a person":

https://sacred-texts.com/ame/pow/pow012.htm
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

a lot of stuff about worms :|
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I am interested in folk art in general, I don't have a family connection. Specifically I am interested in the hex symbols that are on the barns. I want to put one on my garage which is my tiny barn.

This website is amazing and I wish this book was on it instead of the waste of paper that it is.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

i need to relearn how to read
Image Certified Poster
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

Honky Kong 64 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:09 pm Bro just rate something fffs
What's the extra f for?
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

featherboa wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:00 am i need to relearn how to read
Not in the habit right now or what?
No Cunting Elves
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

yeah broken attention span
Image Certified Poster
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

at one point i started putting pdfs in my one drive so i could just mindlessly read books and short stories in bursts on my phone instead of scrolling twitter and by no means is it a silver bullet to defeat this monster it keeps me from falling to the deep negative capabiltiy that is so hard to crawl out of once im there
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

good idea. I read books off a kindle, but that's not always with me. I'll find some stuff on that one anarchy pdf site to load up onto the phone.

I dgot my Libby set up today. Now the hard part, finding and choosing stuff to read.

Even the library's app is trying to be an the algorithm now.
Image Certified Poster
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I have 8 children.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

haha the upenn collection isnt that helpful not sure why i have that bookmarked but

I have 8 children.
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

"Earthlings" - Sayaka Murata 8.8/10
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

featherboa wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 am good idea. I read books off a kindle, but that's not always with me. I'll find some stuff on that one anarchy pdf site to load up onto the phone.

I dgot my Libby set up today. Now the hard part, finding and choosing stuff to read.

Even the library's app is trying to be an the algorithm now.
I’ve definitely felt like this before. I find it helps if I reread something I really enjoyed. This usually gets me back in the habit. My life definitely feels more vibrant when I’m immersed in some fictional world. Good luck!
No Cunting Elves
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Someone tell me what to read or I'll start wind up bird again
Image Certified Poster
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

featherboa wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:31 am Someone tell me what to read or I'll start wind up bird again
The Taiga Syndrome
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

featherboa wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:31 am Someone tell me what to read or I'll start wind up bird again
If the knee jerk reaction is Murakami then definitely 1Q84 or Kafka on the Shore if you haven’t already.

Otherwise try Martin Eden by Jack London.
No Cunting Elves
cxwx

Post by cxwx »

The Obscene Bird Of Night is an absolute masterpiece but you might go insane before you finish it.