Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
This Means War
The Brutality Continues...

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by This Means War »

Currently: Dune

Up Next: Dune Messiah
hard paranormal dong wrote: one of these days im going to upload my fist onto the internet, i just hope one day you accidentally download it.
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

Pop1287 wrote:
12 Months of Mao wrote: I've got The Golem here to begin next.
:tup:

That is one fucked up book...
It's been on my nightstand for months and I always get a certain length into it and then get distracted with something else. This time it was Flow My Tears... and Foucault's Pendulum, which has been sharing nightstand space with the Golem and is almost finished. His first hallucination though, with the hermaphordite king/queen wearing the wooden crown with a worm carving a rune of destruction, is enough for me to know that I NEED to read this book.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

12 Months of Mao wrote:
Pop1287 wrote:
12 Months of Mao wrote: I've got The Golem here to begin next.
:tup:

That is one fucked up book...
It's been on my nightstand for months and I always get a certain length into it and then get distracted with something else. This time it was Flow My Tears... and Foucault's Pendulum, which has been sharing nightstand space with the Golem and is almost finished. His first hallucination though, with the hermaphordite king/queen wearing the wooden crown with a worm carving a rune of destruction, is enough for me to know that I NEED to read this book.
Well, Meyrink was one of those authors who deliberately set out to overwhelm expectations, esp. the ideas of the bourgeois supporters of the arts in Prague/Vienna, so you can look at his writing as expressively eccentric in that it somehow mirrored his life (it does), but you should also keep in mind that he was always trying to fuck with people...so there's another reason his fiction is so strange. If you read his earlier work, his short stories, you see him developing that technique...a little Kafka in there, of course, but also a whole lot of writers like Gogol.
ibn Horowitz
Electric Lucifer

Post by ibn Horowitz »

When You are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris - 7/10
Winter's Bone - Daniel Woodrell - 6/10
It was trucking along real good but the ending really sucked and revealed the formulaic structure of the book in a compromising rather than encouraging way.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Consider Bely's White Dove or Krasznahorkai's Melancholy of Resistance after Golem - same kind of faceted dark shimmer cultist trip with great prose.

Bely's writing is often a chore at times - but also super rewarding too.

BTW, as mentioned, How Proust Can Change Your Life is great little self-help read. Insightful and smart. 10.

On page 645 of the Search.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Mr. Budd wrote: On page 645 of the Search.
You're a madman... ;)
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

carroll - alice's adventures in wonderland - 8/10
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Pop1287 wrote:
Mr. Budd wrote: On page 645 of the Search.
You're a madman... ;)
704. Yeah... Booze makes kids SO SLEEPY.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Reading that Meyrink book did make me want to read Strindberg's "Inferno" again...also I didn't know until a few days ago that there were actually biographies of John Dee.

I think Penguin might have let that Strindberg volume go out of print. Terrible.
12 Months of Mao
opinionated sumbitch

Post by 12 Months of Mao »

Foucault's Pendulum - 8, maybe 8.5
Ending pretty much went exactly where I was expecting it to but it kept me engrossed all the way through. Which is kind of saying something considering that most of what was happening here had taken place hundreds of years prior and was just being recapped. Gave me plenty of esoteric subjects to spend time investigating. Not because I actually think there's a greater truth behind them, just because I love that shit.

However, I think Jacobo Belbo was one of the most annoying fictional characters I've come across since Holden Caulfield.
Mr. Budd wrote:Consider Bely's White Dove or Krasznahorkai's Melancholy of Resistance after Golem - same kind of faceted dark shimmer cultist trip with great prose.
Noted.
"I am a high-IQ mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy which characterizes my species!" - Drinky Crow
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

Chevalier Mal Fet wrote:Image

1776/10

Never felt his fiction lived up to his other writing/speaking until I read this one. Excellent epic of the general conniving elitist douche-baggery of the founding fathers through the eyes of the most maligned hero of the revolution. Probably the best piece of historical fiction I've ever read.
I read a lot of Vidal before getting into his historical works, thinking that they would be really dry, but they're easily his best novels. Empire, Lincoln, 1876. All excellent.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

I love Strindberg. Inferno, Alone...

Phritz - we can exchange anything - I'd love some little Gerstle postcards etc.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

I can see "Inferno" totally freaking out people who have OCD.
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

And Hamsun's Pan freeing them right after.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Mr. Budd wrote:And Hamsun's Pan freeing them right after.
I have no idea what you mean by this... :)
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

Hamsun has the same unraveling gaze as Strindberg, based in bitterness and informed by clarity and amazing sensitivity but Hamsun seems to realize that if we just go outside once in a while - we can stop the suffering. Schulz and Rabelais work like this too despite they more towards things, not away as if to suggest that if you want to make all that chatter stop - go inside - but do it outdoors. Larder knew it too.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Hahahaha...I guess so.

Pan is such a fucking depressing novel...I once knew a guy who had only read "Growth of the Soil", if you can believe that. He missed all the others. :ax:
Mr. Budd

Post by Mr. Budd »

And I've missed his big one....Hunger. I'll never pare this reading list down...

I'd need a pretty big bucket to carry my "to read" list. Having you well informed people pushing me along doesn't help me want to read less.

After Proust I think I will need to spend a few months reading my wife dinner menus for a while.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Hunger REALLY reminds me of parts of Tropic of Cancer (the other way around, actually). It's a fabulous novel but it really is just about suffering...well...and hating "modern" life.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

look at me, i bone french chicks. doo doo doo. I got syphillis la di dah
kale
LolaFaun
DO THE DEW!

Post by LolaFaun »

Abigail Adams by Woody Holton 8/10

There wasn't too much about her childhood, but since the bulk of her correspondence was during her adult years, it's not too surprising. It was an easy and entertaining read, and it didn't segue into too much about John Adams where it didn't directly pertain to Abigail. I find that sometimes when there's a bio about the female half of a famous couple the author is tempted to start writing about the guy's accomplishments more than the woman's, but that didn't happen in this book.
The correspondence between John and Abigail was heavily sourced, of course, but also the letters she sent to her sisters as well as her management of their real estate holdings in Mass. and her speculation in government bonds. She was the one that increased the family's wealth, and kept them in the black for the entire marriage. One thing I learned that I had never heard before was her daughter's bout with breast cancer, and the MASTECTOMY!! that she apparently survived.
Phritz
I'm not very smart.

Post by Phritz »

Mr. Budd wrote:Hamsun seems to realize that if we just go outside once in a while - we can stop the suffering.
true. when reading it i kept asking myself, why is the guy even going out anymore as sick as he is. but each time he did, he made it through it , he got some distraction and somewhat lifted his spirits.
it was not one of my favourite books, but parts of the story were great. a tale of huge mental and moral strength or better: stubbornness.
rīdoonrīmenbā
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

Sounds like the very beginning of D/G's Anti-Oedipus.
Pop1287
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Pop1287 »

FINALLY got my hands on a copy of Gibson's "Zero History." ;) Review in three days? I'm studying Java, dammit...

Hubertus Bigend! References to American Spirits and Austin, TX! Fuck yes...
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The Adventures of Mixerman - Mixerman

I read the blog, I got the book and read the second half in one sitting.

SO much good stuff in that book that any musician or sound engineer should be made to read it. 9/10
Last edited by doomeddisciple on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath