Latest Gene Wolfe book you read (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: Latest book you read (1-10 scale)

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I read books on my phone so easy. Also the WoT series is badass from books 2-6. First one suffers from standard fantasy series trappings.
No Cunting Elves
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

I read most of Song of Ice and Fire on a Nintendo DS.

Eddy you should check also on What when you look for ebooks. I think it has mostly only real releases and the libary is growing lately.
I think if something is an .epub it's a safe bet.
Image Certified Poster
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Friendly Goatus wrote:I don't know if I should get an Amazon Kindle? A Barnes and Noble Nook? Or a Sony ereader like you guys have? too many choices. I'd probably download books like you guys.
i have one of the last gen kindles and it's pretty awesome. holds a charge forever, easy to read, and holds hundreds of books. you can get one for around $75, and books are easy to get online. if not in mobi format you can easily change epub to mobi using a client like calibre. if you want just a good, easy e-book reader do the kindle. if you want to do a bunch of other shit and are willing to pay a lot more get the sony, nook, or kindle fire.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

a world of no wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I don't know if I should get an Amazon Kindle? A Barnes and Noble Nook? Or a Sony ereader like you guys have? too many choices. I'd probably download books like you guys.
i have one of the last gen kindles and it's pretty awesome. holds a charge forever, easy to read, and holds hundreds of books. you can get one for around $75, and books are easy to get online. if not in mobi format you can easily change epub to mobi using a client like calibre. if you want just a good, easy e-book reader do the kindle. if you want to do a bunch of other shit and are willing to pay a lot more get the sony, nook, or kindle fire.
So you can load your own files on the kindle? Or is it locked and you can only download books from amazon? eh-d said something about kindles and not being able to upload files on it or something
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

No, it's not locked.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

eddie the differences between the retail and the not retail are you don't get all the stupid formatting problems.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

eh_d wrote:my irl friends
:lol: get real
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

the kind he's "too hungouver" to hang out with at at The Shrine concert?
Image Certified Poster
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Friendly Goatus wrote:
a world of no wrote:
So you can load your own files on the kindle? Or is it locked and you can only download books from amazon? eh-d said something about kindles and not being able to upload files on it or something
no, as stated, it's not locked. just plug it into your computer and drag/drop the files into the document folder.

i'm beginning to suspect that ed doesn't know what he's talking about.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

never let me go - 9/10

so burtal
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Got me a 3rd gen black kindle for $50. Time to start downloadan

Where's this What site you guys mentioned? I can't find it and trying to google "what" doesn't really help...
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Do any of these readers let you like highlight passages and tag them so you can find them later?
Image Certified Poster
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

yes.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

eh_d wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote: Where's this What site you guys mentioned? I can't find it and trying to google "what" doesn't really help...
have you figured this out yet?
featherboa held my retard hand
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 7.5/10
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i just bought the english translation of satantango on amazon. i'm a fucking asshole
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

mithrandir wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I need some reading recommendations. I'm in the mood for a good mature/dark fantasy or sci-fi book. I tried starting Jordan's Wheel of Time series but the first book isn't really catching me. plz halp

The Malazan series and The Second Apocalypse series is supposed to be great, but I haven't gotten around to them yet, I'm still making my way through the Black Company books (which you might like also)
I started the first Black Company trilogy the other day. I think I'm almost finished with the first book, hard to tell when all three are on the same file in my ereader. It's pretty good. It could be so much better though... the premise and characters are excellent but it just feels like the author gets lazy in between the juicy stuff. Transitions are really important. Still, worth a read so far. I like the cenobite vibe the Taken have.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Friendly Goatus wrote:
mithrandir wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I need some reading recommendations. I'm in the mood for a good mature/dark fantasy or sci-fi book. I tried starting Jordan's Wheel of Time series but the first book isn't really catching me. plz halp

The Malazan series and The Second Apocalypse series is supposed to be great, but I haven't gotten around to them yet, I'm still making my way through the Black Company books (which you might like also)
I started the first Black Company trilogy the other day. I think I'm almost finished with the first book, hard to tell when all three are on the same file in my ereader. It's pretty good. It could be so much better though... the premise and characters are excellent but it just feels like the author gets lazy in between the juicy stuff. Transitions are really important. Still, worth a read so far. I like the cenobite vibe the Taken have.
sometimes I think he could use more description to set up the scenes/environment/world, also the bickering between Goblin and One-Eye is way too fucking kiddish, and he also uses too many 'present time' expressions and sayings in the language, it makes the realm in which he builds lack believability, that is the major difference between a Glen Cook style fantasy author and a Toklien+GRRM, you are completely ensconced in their world 100% even down the the language which never sounds out of place or 'modern'

the Taken though are some of the most unique enemies Ive ever read, esp when you get into Books of the South, Dreams of Steel is his strongest book I've read so far, The Silver Spike is the last one I read, cant wait to get jump into Books of the Glittering Stone...I'm assuming picking up where Dreams of Steel leaves off, shit gets incredibly complicated
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I've never read anything by him before this, thought it would be gay but it
was cool as fuck.
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

eh_d wrote:the only fantasy that i've ever really liked is tolkien everything else has been :wank: :wank: :wank:
Only sci-fi is real. But seriously, nothing? Not even Elftstones of Shannara? Dark Elf Trilogy? :awesome: Memory Sorrow and Thorn? Dragons of Yerma Twilight? The Belgariad? The Mallereon?
No Cunting Elves
Raw Ting
ultimate EVIL

Post by Raw Ting »

The Way of Zen- Alan Watts

7.5/10 Pretty good.

I have The Girl With The Dragon tattoo, but haven't read it yet. Is it worthy of a read? I enjoyed the movie fair enough.
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Arthur Conan Doyle, The Hound of the Baskervilles 8/10
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

eh_d wrote:i've read like seven books from WoT.
I thought you said you only read the first. :confused: Pretty awesome? The finales of the first 6 are epic.

The Belgariad was pretty standard but I remember enjoying the Mallereon a lot.
No Cunting Elves
TF@work
OH LAWD!

Post by TF@work »

Haven't finished yet, but I'm calling it now:

The Presidential Agent - 7.5/10. Not as good as other, more mid-war books in the Lanny Budd series, but it's still full of intrigues and a few sneaky subplots. Don't think I'll ever get over how... unnatural a lot of Sinclair's dialogue is (it works when he's dealing with the elite, but in casual conversation?), but it still works.
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

what kind of e-reader should i get off craigslist?
Image Certified Poster