James Cameron's AVATAR 2 - now playing in cinema theaters

Music posts are a bannable offense.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - you know... for kids!

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Seriously even a "classy" series like Lord of the Rings doesn't really have a stance. What... don't obsess over jewelry?
there was a lot more going on in the lotr series. it was still a story about good and evil of course, but it was also about the corrupting force and attraction of evil, even on the best of men. its simplified but theres some meat to it, and both the books and film were going for an archetype really. plus its hard to argue with the story that pretty much completely defines the fantasy genre.
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

hahahah, lifestyle option. how many douche hipsters bought all that pirate related bullshit i've been having to look at for the last few years. how many halloween costumes were sold? and more importanly, how many little douchebags are going to be acting like self-centered (always good for consumption and consumerism) little jack sparrows because they pattern imprint on and identify his self-centered narcisisstic character early on as a paradigm of "cool" behaviour (james dean syndrome). this, of course, appeals to a certain mindset, often referred to in marketing terms as the "gotta-be-mes," ie fierce individualists, willing to cut off their nose to spite anyone who trys to tell them what to do or how to be.

on the other hand, movies like avatar (or at least based upon what everyone is saying about its plot and dialogue) are appealing to a whole different group-based mindset, based upon a concept of personal individualism being fine as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else (ie THE GROUP) in even the most minor of ways. of course, this is presented functionally impossible in the modern interconnected world where my farts are supposedly responsible for south-asian tsunami's. but this is the mindset that is currently selling. the "american-guilt (not to say that american guilt isn't very justified), green everything, love my hybrid because it shows the world how eco-humble i am" money machine that is currently getting the majority of small-business money. and these small business's are developing the environmental-coping technologies that the corporations that bankroll this sort of thing are scouting out for. but they need a whole generation of fucks who's mindset is even more obsessed with "greening" than mine is with guns (if that is even possible).
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

right but a guy with a machine gun rides around on a dragon
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:mastoman: in more ways than one
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

Necrometer wrote:right but a guy with a machine gun rides around on a dragon
"sometimes killing is justified. especially when other people are trying to force you in any manner to live their way or who the priests tell you are harming some resource we all share. but that's ok, because when we do it, we do it riding on (being carried by the force of) really cool dragons (icons of the fantasy-value mindset)"
"It is Baby Bush's fault, like all of the country's problems currently are, and the poor black dude has to mop up after the irresponsible frat boy while the rich white assholes criticize him as usual." - the most naive motherfucker i've ever come in contact with that wasn't a female mennonite.
The Nigorache
git help.

Post by The Nigorache »

I haven't seen it but gayest movie eve
r
skin & bones
Soul of the Martyr

Post by skin & bones »

DeadWalrus wrote:technology problems with avatar:

they have the ability to remotely control biological bodies from anywhere on the planet but they still have pilots in cockpits? why weren't those mechs solid tanks piloted by operators 1000 miles away?

why didnt they simply bombard the tree of souls from fucking orbit?

did the future marines buy all of their vehicles and robots from hasbro? i'm pretty sure we have materials capable of stopping arrows right now, let alone in a future where we've conquered interstellar travel. and what kind of weak-ass combat robot gets owned by a lion and naked blue dude with a knife?
i thought it was hilarious, in fact i bursted out laughing while everyone was engrossed in the scene, in the climax when the military villain guy was in the mech, and he grabs a giant knife with this robot hand from his belt or something. you'd figure the weapon would just pop out from it's forearm. and also, the mechs hold guns? why aren't they just attached somewhere? they always need them, right?

saw this last night, and actually, it was better than i thought it would be. it will be a great looking bluray.
!
Mooretician
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Mooretician »

skin & bones wrote: i thought it was hilarious, in fact i bursted out laughing while everyone was engrossed in the scene, in the climax when the military villain guy was in the mech, and he grabs a giant knife with this robot hand from his belt or something. you'd figure the weapon would just pop out from it's forearm. and also, the mechs hold guns? why aren't they just attached somewhere? they always need them, right?
I laughed so fucking hard when that mech grabbed its giant mech knife. The only way that could have been better is if the dude inside got thrown out and had to wield the knife like some huge Final Fantasy sword.
copstache wrote:on a positive note, i hope if i get old and encrippled my nurses come and put on Judeobeast Assassin and watch my horrible atrophied limbs twitch in some mess of neurons flickering and dying
bundlesofvitals
OH LAWD!

Post by bundlesofvitals »

Took my dad to see this last night and he liked it. We ripped on the cheesier elements of the story/dialogue, but it was part of the fun. Plus it was cool to see it in a packed theater - the first time I saw it was 10pm on a Tuesday, so a 6:30pm holiday showing was nuts. We got there 45 minutes early and there were at least 100 people waiting, but we still got good seats so it was fine. I loved hearing everyone oooooh and ahhhh during the scene where the seeds are landing on Jake. Sniffles and applause at the end. :tup: I might take my mom. :awesome:

The story held up less for me this time, but it didn't really take away from the enjoyment. I wonder how well this movie will hold up over time/on dvd...
bundlesofvitals
OH LAWD!

Post by bundlesofvitals »

Also noticed the 5 fingered handprint on her chest...

:brokenheart:

get sum
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

infinte :lhug:
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

oh man not even 3D yet! you'll have a blast!

The 3D is beyond any earlier attempt... Beowulf was just on cable here at HF's house and I am noting all the improvements Avatar made... that whole foreground out-of-focus thing I was talking about really sells it, in Beowulf every single thing in the frame is completely in focus the whole time, blowing the illusion.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Molester Stallone wrote:I won't even try and watch Beowulf ever....
I don't think anyone should watch Beowulf ever.
skin & bones
Soul of the Martyr

Post by skin & bones »

bundlesofvitals wrote: The story held up less for me this time, but it didn't really take away from the enjoyment. I wonder how well this movie will hold up over time/on dvd...
i'm definitely buying the bluray. i have a phillips TV with the "ambilight" feature. i think it will look really great. also looking forward to watching the extras.
!
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer wrote:
That movie is fucking great.
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

MANTIS wrote:
Necrometer wrote:
That movie is fucking great.
+1
The Wages of Ben
INSIDE FISH STICKS, OUTSIDE TARTAR SAUCE

Post by The Wages of Ben »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Black Jacques wrote:fuck that man. I'm not messin' with no giant corn...
dreweq wrote:clasping em like they were pages of the pelican brief she was gonna use to solve a fuckin nancy drew murder mystery or something.
ImageImage
Zoe
Onward to Golgotha
Location: the black abyss of my memories...If you can find me, you can save me...

Post by Zoe »

eh_d wrote:
The Wages of Ben wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:drooly:
Indeed I agree... :drooly:
Why am I here on this dying planet?
Take me away to a place of my liking...
[Take me to PANDORA]

Dr Yail Bloor
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Dr Yail Bloor »

hi zoe
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
I guess there's crippling, life shattering levels of alcoholism, and then there's Lemmy.
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Post by abdominalpillaging »

for anyone who cares you can find a 720p rip of this around.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Image prism-avatar720
i like to dissect women
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

Movie was a piece of shit, period. A $300 million glistening turd. Christ, people...
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Teebore
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Teebore »

The Wages of Ben wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This thread is finally not a waste of twenty pages.
everyone is miserable, xasthur fans are bigger liars
-smoeone
thürstön.3®®0®
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by thürstön.3®®0® »

Ray wrote:Movie was a piece of shit, period. A $300 million glistening turd. Christ, people...
at least we got 3 turds out of jackson for that price.....
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

thürstön.3®®0® wrote:
Ray wrote:Movie was a piece of shit, period. A $300 million glistening turd. Christ, people...
at least we got 3 turds out of jackson for that price.....
10 District 9's... :lol:
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Sorry to hear that you hate fun, fantasy, and wonder, Ray! Hipster status: confirmed.

In other news, Avatar crossed $1B worldwide in 17 days.
Zoe wrote:Indeed I agree... :drooly:
My new favorite poster! :moreawesome: