James Cameron's AVATAR 2 - now playing in cinema theaters

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - longer trailer bootleg'd, upped

Post by Necrometer »

Geeheeb wrote:I smell my own BO. Its really hot here in the box office.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

This is more of a Dances with Wolves ripoff guys.
No Cunting Elves
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Here's a pretty b-a "making of" thing... I think they used some Manowar lyrics for one section of dialogue. "MY BROTHERS - FLY NOW, WITH ME!"

It's only 7 MB, have a look...
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmzgmz5zwgl
Jack Mort
O.G-Had

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - trailer is out, and I mean out

Post by Jack Mort »

Necrometer wrote:
Necrometer wrote:LOL @ gun/arm mushing on the mech:
they totally fixed this in the new trailer, BTW

In fact that whole shot is remarkably different, they fixed the lighting and everything so it looks gritty instead of shiny and shitty

Also, more ripoff alert: http://io9.com/5390226/did-james-camero ... ns-novella
Can you gif it?
T3HGCKa

http://www.last.fm/user/NxTx
soiled depends wrote:her mom sounds like miss piggy choking on a huge juicy cock...
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I lack those skills, and the real thing will be out tomorrow, so it's really not worth the bother. :nopizza:
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Necrometer wrote:I lack those skills, and the real thing will be out tomorrow, so it's really not worth the bother. :nopizza:
Oh. sup guys.

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/67549361/file.html
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Yes yes yes, enjoy your slow loading and ever-disappearing links for the next 15 hours. Just bitter because it looks like I have been scooped in my own thread due to an executive decision.

We're all quite boned because I guess the real up is going to fucking YAHOO tomorrow so who knows when a downloadable 1080p will materialize... fucking assholes.

This movie is such a fucking sci-fantasy wet dream for me... I might have to do some drugs again the first time I see it. It might be squashed by cliches and the "hip" ideas of aging douchebag Cameron... I mean there's a fucking fist-bump in the trailer. I still haven't seen Titanic and am wondering if I should do so just to calibrate my douchexpectations.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Necrometer wrote: This movie is such a fucking sci-fantasy wet dream for me... I might have to do some drugs again the first time I see it. I still haven't seen Titanic and am wondering if I should do so just to calibrate my douchexpectations.
You're on the edge Ross.

THE EDGE.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

MANTIS wrote:
Necrometer wrote: This movie is such a fucking sci-fantasy wet dream for me... I might have to do some drugs again the first time I see it. I still haven't seen Titanic and am wondering if I should do so just to calibrate my douchexpectations.
You're on the edge Ross.

THE EDGE.
Edge of what? Forever shaming now now-broken edge?
Last edited by Necrometer on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Drugs? Titanic?

The EDGE man.
Necrometer

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR script(ment), hype, Mantis, etc

Post by Necrometer »

Parachute wrote:It's got CCH Pounder from The Shield!
YOU CAN TOTALLY SEE CCH IN THE NEW TRAILER

she is an alien wearing a red toga 8)
MANTIS wrote:Drugs? Titanic?

The EDGE man.
No no no, Titanic would be sober for sure. Drugs for Avatar

linksnipe!

Anyway, trailer is up at blahoo (see what I did there?)
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809804784/video/16357477

but really fuck that, watch it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQkTQ1foSU

And if you want to "save as" the MOV file in 1080p, you will want to use this:
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist. ... =web&pt=rd
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - trailer is really up for real now

Post by ungodlywarlock »

Saw the HD version today.
Officially pumped for the flick.

The effects are starting to really come together for me, too. I'm sure it'll look awesome in 3D.
Deez Nutz
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by Deez Nutz »

First rate Sci-fi. Yes indeed.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

This is totally the Wintersun of movies, I now realize.

Here's a making-of featurette dealie... lotsa visual spoilers (cool creatures and plants moreso than plot stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNv6FUK0HU&fmt=22
Deez Nutz
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by Deez Nutz »

I watched the new HD trailer on the 40-inch and...damn...I sincerely teared up over the level of shear creative talent on display. I can also see these new Marine costumes taking off just like the Colonial Marines from Aliens did.
Necrometer

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - reviews arriving post-premiere

Post by Necrometer »

Some of these "critics" are probably on the dole, but after the premiere there's pretty much nobody writing or tweeting that the movie itself is as cartoony as the trailers looked... which makes sense to me; it took about a minute to get settled in when I watched the 15-min sneak thing, but after that it all clicked. Anyway, have a look...
http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=16264
some mild spoilers here: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=133552
http://geektyrant.com/2009/12/the-buzz- ... -positive/
The movie is 161 minutes and flies by in a rush. Repeat business? You bet. “Titanic”-level business? That level may never be reached again, but Fox will see more than enough grosses worldwide to cover its bet on Cameron.

But let’s cut to the chase: A fully believable, flesh-and-blood (albeit not human flesh and blood) romance is the beating heart of “Avatar.” Cameron has never made a movie just to show off visual pyrotechnics: Every bit of technology in “Avatar” serves the greater purpose of a deeply felt love story.

As with everything in “Avatar,” Cameron has coolly thought things through. With every visual tool he can muster, he takes viewers through the battle like a master tactician, demonstrating how every turn in the fight, every valiant death or cowardly act, changes its course. The screen is alive with more action and the soundtrack pops with more robust music than any dozen sci-fi shoot-’em-ups you care to mention…

In years of development and four years of production no detail in the pic is unimportant. Cameron’s collaborators excel beginning with the actors. Whether in human shape or as natives, they all bring terrific vitality to their roles.

Mauro Fiore’s cinematography is dazzling as it melts all the visual elements into a science-fiction whole. You believe in Pandora. Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg’s design brings Cameron’s screenplay to life with disarming ease.

James Horner’s score never intrudes but subtlety eggs the action on while the editing attributed to Cameron, Stephen Rivkin and John Refoua maintains a breathless pace that exhilarates rather than fatigues. Not a minute is wasted; there is no down time.

The only question is: How will Cameron ever top this?
It’s been twelve years since Titanic, but the King of the World has returned with a flawed but fantastic tour de force that, taken on its merits as a film, especially in two dimensions, warrants four stars. However, if you can wrap a pair of 3D glasses round your peepers, this becomes a transcendent, full-on five-star experience that's the closest we'll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don’t leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
There are a couple full reviews that popped up in the UK:

The Sun: The final battle scene is 20 minutes long and absolutely mind-blowing…It is overwhelming, and that is because you are emotionally tied up in the characters and the story.

The Guardian: There have been a lot of rumours…Rumours that the 3D effects were making people nauseous. Rumours that the film, two hours and 40 minutes long, was a complete car crash.The Guardian can reveal that the last two are untrue. The film does not make you feel sick and it is not a disaster

Alex from Firstshowing: James Cameron is a freakin’ genius! I can’t say much but wow, I loved it. Avatar was phenomenal, pretty much blew me away… I can’t answer any questions guys but I can say I loved it. Also saw Neill Blomkamp at our screening, he loved it too.

Comingsoon: I’ll take my chances with Fox legal…. Avatar was amazing, I loved it!

And here are some more twitter reactions:

@petershall: “The AVATAR buzz is an understatement. That movie was unbelievable.”

@chasewhale: “Just finished AVATAR. Special effects were top notch. The movie ran a little long for my likings but I liked it!”

@comingsoonnet” “Okay, about Avatar?…. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! Unbelievable… amazing.”

@MikePereira21: Was blown away by Avatar! For 150 minutes, I was a kid again. Thank you James Cameron! BTW, the groundbreaking 3D was mindblowing.”

@rejects: “I’m not supposed to talk about Avatar… That said, it was a spectacular experience. Like nothing I’ve seen before.”

@markwalters74: “Just saw AVATAR. Not allowed to talk about it yet. Not allowed to say how it’s an amazing visual feast, or that Jimmy C’s still got the gift.”

@dmann11: “Holy effing crap!!! Avatar was FREAKING AWESOME KICK ASS SWEET!!!!!”

@TheGate: “For the record ‘Avatar’ was worth the $400 million, and no it is not even remotely “vomit inducing”.

Sound to me like this movie is going to be everything that James Cameron said it would! And I am more excited than ever to watch it!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/
VueeeuVueeeeuV
DO NOT WANT.

Post by VueeeuVueeeeuV »

You know how terminator 2 was like this defining film of our generation? And aliens? I still wont give this one the time of day becaues I was like ten when thoes came out in theaters.
Exterminate. EXTERMINATE!
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

I've decided to take up Twitter Trolling, inspired by those Twi-views. I just hash tag the tweets with Avatar and make shit up. Seems fun for now.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

suteli-bunn wrote:holy shit... a love story? can't miss!
Stefando...
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - 100% on rottentomatoes w00t

Post by delmuerte »

Okay, so...is this like the unofficial World Of Warcraft movie or something? What's the big deal?
Sineadrepresent
Face of Collapse

Post by Sineadrepresent »

Jesus, nothing about this looks even remotely watchable.

The reviews that were posted on RT don't really make it sound like a good film as much as an exercise in new technology and therefor not proper reviews in a cinematic sense. I'd say that's a bad sign.
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

delmuerte wrote:Okay, so...is this like the unofficial World Of Warcraft movie or something? What's the big deal?
you never wanted to diddle blue chicks?
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Nahreally?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Sineadrepresent wrote:Jesus, nothing about this looks even remotely watchable.

The reviews that were posted on RT don't really make it sound like a good film as much as an exercise in new technology and therefor not proper reviews in a cinematic sense. I'd say that's a bad sign.
I know exactly what you mean, but I've seen a good chunk of the movie and there's some broad-spectrum "entertainment" value present for sure, i.e. it's not a chore to watch once you get over the technique employed. I think it will work in the way that Wall-E did - nothing groundbreaking story-wise, but rather classically-assembled storytelling that's visually gratifying.

Even if this gets outstanding reviews, I will not be surprised if it "underperforms" (especially in USA) because it looks so fruity. But I am relieved because it seems it'll deliver on the promise I hoped it might hold. I'm fine with a roller-coaster of spectacle. I just wish Cameron would admit he's becoming a fogie, and let someone line-edit his dialogue. And there's a fist-bump. In the trailer. That was perhaps halfway cool in 199X when it was employed in Event Horizon, but now? C'mon.

I'm just sort of shocked that Variety wrote: "Cameron delivers again with a film of universal appeal that just about everyone who ever goes to the movies will need to see." They rarely drop statements like that.
bundlesofvitals
OH LAWD!

Post by bundlesofvitals »

Damn...I was kinda meh about this but reading those reviews, I'm pumped. Will see next weekend!