Re: James Cameron's AVATAR - trailer is out, and I mean out

Post by krudmonk »

So "clipping" is an elite term now?
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

krudmonk wrote:So "clipping" is an elite term now?
And I suppose you've heard of polygons, too?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Jack Mort
O.G-Had

Post by Jack Mort »

When Worthlesston was checking out the body floating in that vat, I kept expecting it to suddenly open its eyes.
T3HGCKa

http://www.last.fm/user/NxTx
soiled depends wrote:her mom sounds like miss piggy choking on a huge juicy cock...
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

Jack Mort wrote:When Worthlesston was checking out the body floating in that vat, I kept expecting it to suddenly open its eyes.
me too...which would have been inexcusably gay.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

+1 for that

I just frame-by-framed the second half of the 1080p trailer... the amount and quality of effects in this movie are beyond anything, ever. That won't make it hetero, but it's true. Science.
krudmonk
Bonestorm 13

Post by krudmonk »

Necrometer wrote:
krudmonk wrote:So "clipping" is an elite term now?
And I suppose you've heard of polygons, too?
Yeah, like 500 trillion, faggot.
UGH! HEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!
Grendel
Gear in the Machine

Post by Grendel »

I'm interested in seeing the movie, but the trailer isn't as mindblowing as I'd been led to belive. I'm more interested in Cameron's Battle Angel movie.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Brits react to the preview: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8214896.stm

Here's the .mov trailer in 1080p, if anyone transcodes this for PS3 playback and re-ups, I will edit the thread title to praise your studliness: http://www.divshare.com/download/8251102-b9d
disco-dance axis
carbomb street team

Post by disco-dance axis »

I accidentally watched the trailer on Xbox Live today. I'm afraid I'll never like vaginas anymore...
Krieg wrote: It is more or less the same issue with painkillers, an American gets a tooth removed and spends the next 10 days daydreaming under Valium or Xanax. A German gets a leg amputated and gets Ibuprofen (and only the 500mg version).
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

disco-dance axis wrote:Xbox
disco-dance axis wrote:I'll never like vaginas anymore...
how am i not surprised
ImageImageImage
disco-dance axis
carbomb street team

Post by disco-dance axis »

fuck. I just owned myself. :drool:
Krieg wrote: It is more or less the same issue with painkillers, an American gets a tooth removed and spends the next 10 days daydreaming under Valium or Xanax. A German gets a leg amputated and gets Ibuprofen (and only the 500mg version).
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

I don't even feel like watching the trailer more than once. My general interest in this movie is dismissed until people start actually start seeing it.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I just watched the 15 min 3D sneak - everything makes a lot more sense now. They really mismarketed/mislabeled this movie and let the hype get out of control. It's very much a fantasy film FIRST. I don't know why they're calling it sci-fi all the time; this is huge elves taming dragons in a mystical land of wonder. I guess I sort of knew that the whole time, but had no idea the film would be so out there. It's not even worth arguing about if the effects are the best ever or not - the important thing is that the characters you're watching are very relatable due to their motion and high detail, so it's more compelling than any Pixar cartoon so far. But I really do believe the major portion of the movie will be a cartoon - and that's fine because it will probably be a simple story told in an engaging/beautiful way.

The visuals were just fucking awesome - there's this night scene in the forest where everything looks lit by black light, and it's quite magical. And when dude is taming the dragon/raptor, it's just enjoyable to watch all the bright colors moving about. That sounds retarded but it's true!

I'm really sad they didn't make the chick aliens more curvy, because you see their asses the whole time and their boobs many times - national geographic style. The tribal nature of the aliens didn't come across too retarded or contrived, I think I'll be able to get over that cheesy element.

The face acting on these things is just top-notch - the Sigourney Weaver one looked just like her, hahaha. I think they did that to give the viewer a conceptual gateway to the idea of these things having anima.

Anyway, the long-form clips flew by in what seemed like 5 minutes. I have a feeling they'll do another day like this because it's really the best way to give people a sense of what's going on.

A major problem my sister pointed out was that there is no dirt ANYWHERE, and they are too squeaky clean the whole time. The lack of grit is what keeps the whole thing from being grounded in any reality. They still have some time to fix this, but even if they don't it'll work in its own way. I could see this making a billion dollars worldwide, the appeal will be very broad assuming people can take a risk on that fruity trailer.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

From the trailer I saw, the cg didn't look half as good as the cg in the LOTR series. Goddamned Ferngully lookin'.
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

These things top Gollum (who I found to be the best element of the LOTR series) in terms of detail and expressiveness.
Hahaha, I can't believe the goofs who wrote that article are making such a big fuss - the theaters are partially empty as a byproduct of how the tickets were reserved. It's zero risk to reserve them, so everyone got more than necessary to cover their own ass. I was responsible for reserving 8 spots, only two of which were filled. I'd give up the unused tickets if there were a reasonable mechanism to do so, but there wasn't. If everyone were me, that'd be quarter-full theaters all over the place. The other option is to allow OVER-resevervation, and make it FCFS on the day-of, leading to ANGRY fucking nerds instead of less overall exposure.
NANOplague
I'm not very smart.

Post by NANOplague »

Necrometer wrote:These things top Gollum (who I found to be the best element of the LOTR series) in terms of detail and expressiveness.
perhaps, but the textures and movement don't seem as good. I'm just going off a crappy trailer I watched online though..
maybe they weren't necessarily going for realism.
"Infidel defilers... they shall all drown in lakes of blood." ~ Thulsa Doom
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Like I said, this thing falls somewhere in the gap between reality and Pixar's best as weird as it sounds. The animation is amazing, but it doesn't look "real", though it doesn't really need to. It's weird. The trailer is sort of a misrepresentation. This is a fantasy movie in another world that is quite easy to buy into.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

How was the 3d?
ImageImageImage
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

It was good! Made it way more immersive, as expected/intended. The blacklight shit at night was real nice, seeing the luminescent objects stretching off into the background. When he was getting chased through the woods by the panther thing it was a little out of control, but I think that makes sense. It somehow didn't look so dim like Up did, so that was great. I watched with 3D glasses over seeing glasses, which was a first and it was zero issue.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Four eyes.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

six eyes :(

I guess there have been over 4 million downloads of that trailer - is that a record? Check out nerds reacting here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom ... ungle.html

:brokenheart: Gabriela

bonus lol:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=delgo.htm

it's also criminally similar to this Winds of Altair book:
In this book, earth is crowded, so people go to the new frontier, space. Humans find planets that are similar to earth and then change the planet's atmosphere. The humans mentally link with the life living on the planet (using machines) and then use the animals to set up the equipment that changes the planet. This book discusses a young man that is transforming Altair IV, and his ethical problems with the transformation.
skin & bones
Soul of the Martyr

Post by skin & bones »

the graphics = :drooly:

i guess it remains to be seen if it's just eye candy.
!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

They'd be smart to release a trailer with this style of at-home 3D ... it's not so bad to cross your eyes for just a minute or two.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

hahaha, those Delgo comparison pics. I still have not seen that movie, yet I always hear it is one of the worst ever.

I watched the Avatar teaser yesterday and I have to say so far I am unimpressed. I'll still be willing to give it a chance though, and I'll watch the longer trailers when they come out to see if they're any better.