The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:17 pm
spacehamster wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:51 am Vanquish fucking rules and I'll never not be bitter that it didn't get a sequel.
Fucking perfect action yet horrendous story. I can see why a sequel didn’t happen. It’s like pro-wrasslin’, Bud. The greatest in ring match ain’t shit if the story and feud is ass. Why not a different game with the same play style and combat, Platinum?
Bah. I love how hammy and silly it is. Like if Capcom did an MGS game. Also, the important thing about Vanquish is that you get to blow up giant robots in slow motion while bullets are flying everywhere and there's a techno/synthwave soundtrack blasting above the explosions. Since when are we interested in nuanced storytelling when it comes to Platinum games?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Tried a game called Air Bender, thinking it was a spiritual successor to Space Harrier. Can a game actually be gay? Because this is. Garbage!

Fallen Aces and Selaco are future GOTY contenders once out of early access, but both seem real hard to me. We’ll see.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Tried Powerslave: Exhumed. A true boomer shooter mixed with Metrovania. Ever try using that thing DOOM calls a map? Now try Playing a Castlevania with that. I guess this was originally a PS1 and Saturn game, but if you told me it was 3DO I’d believe you. The majority of the enemies have been little scorpions, scarabs, and birds…. hello, Daikatana. Still, I kind of liked it but I’m in a slump and not in the mood.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Any erdtree reviews yet?
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i've played a little bit, mostly exploring. killed two big things. it is perhaps slightly overtuned in places and too brutal. more so than the base game. regardless how strong your character is you'll need to level up with the dlc leveling mechanic and even then it'll still be kinda insane in places. the average enemy damage output is extremely high, their range, tempo and aggression are also real high. many tactics that youre used to using to escape and heal without punishment are not viable in many places, including trying to flee on torrent. :lol: there's normal looking humanoid sword and shield carrying enemis (messmers soldiers) that wouldnt be out of place in limgrave or caelid that hit as hard or harder than radagon. make sure you vig is at least 60. for me, its kinda recaptured that horror game feel of your first dark souls playthrough or something. see some big thing in the distance and youre like "oh shit fuck you fuck whats the fucks that" all the new weapons, weapon classes stuff are so fucking awesome and perfect. the continuation of the story and themes and lore are so awesome.

i do get the impression though that its directed at a very specific demographic of the most hardcore players and im kinda surprised by that.

best game ever
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

There’s a lot of complaints about the difficulty from everyone, so a nerf might be inbound when this gets patched, and it will. A million times. So, unless your completely obsessed, I would wait.

Honestly, this is my thoughts for all new games. Wait for the patch.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Anyone ever play Beyond Good and Evil? The game with the girl with short hair and green lipstick (Jade). There’s a pig-man in it that’s either your uncle or husband depending on which country you live in. I’ve never gotten passed the first level and I’ve owned the original console version, PC port (that’s not great), and an HD console version from Xbox Live. Three times, never really played it, but I don’t think I disliked it, just other games always took precedence. So, the remastered good PC port just came out. I don’t play on buying it again, but if I could gain a copy, was it worth playing?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I didn’t want to start anything new and American McGee’s Alice is still installed in the PC with a very nice upscale texture pack, so playing it again. I love Quake 3 Engine games, the look, the feel. I think they look better than modern games from an artistic point of view.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Alice. Played some more Vanquish. But instead I opted to replay Castlevania SOTN, with a cheat that gives max Luck and Strenght, so I’m one hitting motherfuckers left and right, but self imposed rules:

No grinding.

Whatever weapon I collect must be used, including shields and secondary weapons, even if they sick or are weaker.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I have 8 children.
THE KILL
Olde Timer

Post by THE KILL »

Started playing VVVVVV again, it's a neat little retro game where you can only walk left and right, you can't jump, but you can change gravity so you're falling upwards. It's minimalistic, has great level design, and it's only a couple of bucks.
The Bill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:02 am My COCK: A-doodle-doo fun time play whistle. Potential chocking hazard for babies and pets.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’ve cut down on my booze intake a great deal the last few months. That’s probably why I’ve been able to get through games better and faster. The alcohol was also giving me ADHD and I’d not want to play anything after a bit. Well, Saturday, kids were staying at my mom’s so I got myself a magnum of Cabernet Sauvignon drank some and came up with that stupid Symphony of the Night idea. Finished the bottle, didn’t finish the game. It was fine for then, but stupid sober. That amount of weapon switching was maddening and since I was one shoting everything the weapons did not really matter outside of attack range.

I’m out of time before my summer travels. Guess I’ll try to get some Vanquish in. I’ll be checking in from time to time, but have a good summer, see you in late August.
THE KILL
Olde Timer

Post by THE KILL »

Tried out Stray with my new laptop (which allows me to play that stuff with medium settings, but not in full HD... I don't give a shit though, graphics are still fantastic), it's a rather charming and atmospheric cat walking simulator with a few simple riddles. It's cool but I don't see myself spending ten or so hours on it.
Played Journey for a couple of minutes, looks quite promising, but I think I need to get properly high for that game. The newest Wonderboy game looks and feels great, too, looking forward to playing it some more; it reminds me a lot of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, which is one of the best and best-looking Metroidvanias I've ever played.
Also tried a couple of times to get into Symphony of the Night since it's considered an über-classic, but gave up after 5 minutes every time. Non-linear Castlevania is just not my kind of jam. I also hate it when numbers (for damage etc.) are shown on screen during fights, I can't stand that RPG bullshit.
The Bill wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:02 am My COCK: A-doodle-doo fun time play whistle. Potential chocking hazard for babies and pets.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:54 am Wonderboy…. Shantae

Symphony of the Night I also hate it when numbers (for damage etc.) are shown on screen
I know the names Wonderboy and Shante, and have seen pics of both, but never played either series. I might have messed with Wonderboy via Sega Master System emulation, but it’s been many MANY years since Sega enjoyed emulation on a PC of mine. The point being, recommend games from both series. PC preferred,

As for SOTN damage indicators, that literally can be turned off in the options. I keep it on for that game, but I find it unbearable in 3D games, like first person. Does Boarderlands have that? I fucking hate Boarderlands.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Elden ring dlc is ripping my head off and shitting in my neck (in a good way)

I have 8 children.
THE KILL
Olde Timer

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:29 am Wonderboy…. Shantae
The point being, recommend games from both series. PC preferred,
I'm afraid I haven't played much Wonder Boy except the first arcade Wonder Boy (which is a lot of fun when you play it with a homie and see who can get further, it gets brutal very quickly, but it's a straight walk from left to right jump and run) and Wonderboy in Monsterland on C64, which used to be one of the greatest games on C64, but I'm not sure if it's for you, it is admittedly pretty clunky. But you should check out the wonderfully done remake of Wonderboy - The Dragon's Trap. I'm sure you're aware that Steam is having its summer sale, and that game is a measly 6 bucks!
Re: Shantae, I've only played Pirate's Curse, which has great gameplay, fantastic pixel graphics, and memorable music, it's a real banger.
The Bill wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:29 am
As for SOTN damage indicators, that literally can be turned off in the options.
Ah thanks for pointing that out! Btw have you played Castevania on the Genesis? It's one of the best games on the system, and it has amazing music:

The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:32 pm Btw have you played Castevania on the Genesis? It's one of the best games on the system, and it has amazing music:

Yes, I have. The graphic in that game are one of a kind for the Genesis. I think 🧐
THE KILL
Olde Timer

Post by THE KILL »

It looks and sounds awesome and is definitely one of the best games for the Genesis IMO
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

FVBTVS wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm
Ray wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:40 pm I hadn't fired up Battlefield 4 on PC in forever, but my brother was playing so I joined his server. He was playing in a random squad, with... BattletweeteR. He still wants koward kunt Kevin Kitchel to unban him.
:awesome:
:cheers:

I have 8 children.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Verned .. something about DOOM etc etc
samiam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my favorite bands are mexican, like cephalic carnage
Would you have the goodness, pardon the intrusion, to hold my little doggy?
featherboa
Elitist Prick

Post by featherboa »

I beat Slay the Spire one time. Slowass game
Image Certified Poster
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

It’s pretty obvious at this point I have an addiction to video games. But, not so much actually playing them, more the idea of playing them. I’ve been to Ireland, England, and the Greek Isles thus far and I’ve made a list of friggin’ games that various places have inspired me to play once back. Some people paint or write poetry. I’m planning on playing Clive Barker’s Undying. :fp:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The Bill wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:52 am It’s pretty obvious at this point I have an addiction to video games. But, not so much actually playing them, more the idea of playing them. I’ve been to Ireland, England, and the Greek Isles thus far and I’ve made a list of friggin’ games that various places have inspired me to play once back. Some people paint or write poetry. I’m planning on playing Clive Barker’s Undying. :fp:
Fuck all that. Since being in Greece, YouTube has bombarded me with videos explaining why the PS2 emulator’s recent update has made it sliced bread. I’ve since traveled down a rabbit hole of best of’s and obscure titles. I had a PS2, but only ever beat the Devil May Cry games, The Metal Gear games, and the WWF games (also Killzone). I really leaned on the original Xbox and GameCube back then, instead. It’s a blessing in disguise, really.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I'm playing Ready or Not. With a controller. Fight me.

Seriously though, this will be one of those games I dabble in for like three days and then give up on, and I really shouldn't have wasted money on it, but I did.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

spacehamster wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:06 am I'm playing Ready or Not. With a controller. Fight me.

Seriously though, this will be one of those games I dabble in for like three days and then give up on, and I really shouldn't have wasted money on it, but I did.
Correction: this one's a keeper.