The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by FVBTVS »

id only want to assure you that as long as you are playing it and exploring it and finding new things you are making progress. I think there are a small handful of "no you need the gay key" parts that gate areas and those are quite useful in determining the shape of your journey

It may be in the way you're thinking about progress or how you experience the video game feelingn of natural progress that's tripping you up. Which is understandable because you've played all the other souls games exhaustively and like you said you dont likenopen world games. It is one of the more radically open of all the open games ever made

What level are you?

Have you met Radahn?

Have you gone UNDERGROUND and I dont mean found a dungeon i mean deeper
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Oh shit right also

There's a route into lyndell thats guarded by a big gold douche (tree sentinel) on horseback. He is an absolute motherfuck. And the path to him is guarded by those lumbering gigantic archer knight dudes. It would roughly make up the north or north east region of lyndell. Another large tree dominates part of the map there

Talking/thinking about this i remember getting hard stuck trying to get into the capital as well
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 am Like five more old-new duke nukem games have leaked in the past 45 seconds
And now some other nutjobs are trying to “fix” the official one.

Guess everyone is betting on Duke.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:49 pmIt is one of the more radically open of all the open games ever made
Maybe that's just not my thing and that's that. Aimlessly walking around with no goal and no purpose is exactly what has always been my problem with open world games, and Elden Ring really leans into that. I still feel bad about not even finishing it once, but... I dunno, I have grown-up shit to worry about, and if I'm putting hobby time into a videogame, I need some sort of guarantee I'll actually get something out of that time, if that makes any sense. And "discovering things" in videogames has never made much sense to me. Especially if the graphics are mid-tier at best.
Have you met Radahn?

Have you gone UNDERGROUND and I dont mean found a dungeon i mean deeper
Can't remember what level I am, but yeah, I've seen Radahn and I've been to the underground stuff. Randomly stumbling on that elevator was basically the one time where I felt like I understood what people love so much about this game. That was really cool. I was kind of hoping getting into Lyndell would be another moment like that, but I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

So I've finally gotten around to trying out the Recalbox RGB Dual: this thing is a HAT for the Raspberry Pi, it's 40 Eurobucks, and it has a number of features:
- It'll give you RGB via Scart and VGA. I'm using it with my CRT TV via Scart.
- It works in tandem with Recalbox (= a frontend/ emulator combo similar to Retroarch). Every emulator apparently uses the original resolution and FPS for every game; games are supposed to look and feel exactly like the originals.
- It really is plug und play: you install Recalbox on your RP, clip on the RGB dual, and you're good to go. No fucking around with drivers; it worked from the get-go. Every game I've tried so far looks gorgeous (NES in RGB, wonderful!) and plays very well. Plays nicely with the 8Bit-Do SN30Pro I'm using it with (it thinks it's an Xbox360-controller).
- It comes with different homebrew games and conversions, among else Doom, Quake, Cave Story, and Rick Dangerous.

In short, this is getting dangerously close to the perfect Console That Plays All (Relevant) Games including arcade and Neo Geo games. I'm using it with a Rapsberry Pi 4, and so far I'm really happy with it. Playstation, Saturn, and N64 emulation are supposed to be excellent as well, but I haven't yet had the time to try them out. Haven't noticed any lag, but that doesn't say much (played a couple of credits of Dodonpachi and died a bunch, which is pretty normal for my mediocre DDP skillset). I've only found lag tests for much older versions of Recalbox from 2018 (which do have considerable lag), I guess now that Runahead has been a thing for quite a while, the developers of Recalbox have worked on reducing lag as well.

I'll probably stick one of these in a homemade arcade cab - finally, an easy solution for when you want to use a real CRT in your cab.

The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Unreal, Blood, Half-Life, Duke Nukem… nah. Mother fucking Rick Dangerous! Haha what the fuck?!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Oh, have to thank you, dukes. Summoning is obvious to me now. And I just figured out how to use the magic staffs. I guess it’s the same as Dark Souls, just forgot. Also, horse double jump is nice.

Most recently defeated that patchwork fuckface in the first major castle. What an asshole!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:17 pm Unreal, Blood, Half-Life, Duke Nukem… nah. Mother fucking Rick Dangerous! Haha what the fuck?!
haha yeah it's so random... still, Rick Dangerous, bitch. Son, you think this Black Soul-nonsense is hard? Try this, ya pansy!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I want to replay/play/revisit/fart on:
Zelda: Windwaker
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Red Dead Redemption 2

Instead, I’m watching YouTube lore videos on Elden Ring, and I finally have a clue as to what in tarnation is going on around here. Guess I’m all in to the bitter end. And fuck those salamander things that look like they have big eyes returning from Dark Souls. All these games with the hitting, cutting, shooting and burning. Not enough awkward boneing to be embarrassed to be caught watching.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I finally caved in and bought Callisto Protocol because it was on sale and, uh... yeah, it's pretty bad. The combat is pretty much as dumb as everyone says, but what's almost worse is how the game somehow manages to simultaneously be completely linear and still really bad at telling you where to go and what to do.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:36 pm I finally caved in and bought Callisto Protocol because it was on sale and, uh... yeah, it's pretty bad. The combat is pretty much as dumb as everyone says, but what's almost worse is how the game somehow manages to simultaneously be completely linear and still really bad at telling you where to go and what to do.
Oh dear, I thought I saw something about it being heavily changed via patch as to fix its shortcomings. This means you’re still playing a far superior version of the game vs how it was launched.

I’m not going to lie, if I didn’t check out a walkthrough here and there I’d probably be horribly stuck as to where to go in Elden Ring. I also sometimes let my-son play it for me because I’m now closer to 50 rather than 40 and I’ve lost skills/patience. I did beat General Starfighter Randal Cunniham by my self, though. Well, me and a thousand NPCs… and they might have done most of the work while I chucked shit at him from afar.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:25 pm Oh dear, I thought I saw something about it being heavily changed via patch as to fix its shortcomings. This means you’re still playing a far superior version of the game vs how it was launched.
You can't really change what's fundamentally wrong with the game - maybe I shouldn't judge the combat after two hours, but it seems to have absolutely no depth to it and feels like they wanted to do something else and then couldn't make it work and just gave up. The tutorial specifically tells you that there's no timing window for dodges, as if there was supposed to be one and then they changed their minds.

It's also definitely not even a little scary, and I really hope they've got some more interesting creatures in the later levels because so far it's not even close to Dead Space in that regard either. The environments look good, and the facial animations and voice acting are top-notch, but that's it. You just kind of get to walk around that stuff and press buttons.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oh, also, my final review of Darktide is that it was really fun up until about the point when I had one character at the level cap, and then I lost all interest in it. Basically everything in this game is RNG, so there's no way to reliably upgrade your gear (the upgrade system is just swapping out random perks anyway) or buy better stuff with the money you earn, you just have to go to the store every hour when it updates to see if it finally has the thing you want. I didn't mind that much over the holidays because I was in disgusting veg mode and just playing this game, but there's no way I'm doing that again with any of the other character classes. Maybe if they ever actually finish this game I'll get back to it because I did enjoy my time with it, but for now I'm mostly just... I'm playing TW3 again and occasionally popping in Callisto Protocol.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Time to play Vermintide, man!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

If I’m the worst thing about this thread, than the best part is Robert steers completely clear of it. Half expecting it to have been filled with narcissistic derangement, pro-wrestling Youtube clips, and bad music.

Anyway…. Jesus, fucking Elden Ring is HUGE! I just take a left turn at Albuquerque for a little sightseeing and suddenly I’m in a new massive that has a new massive area behind it. Also, how many friggin’ bosses are all over the place. I knew this was going to be a big to do, but this is a career. I’m going to end up playing so much I fear I’m going to end up with major post-epic game depression that it’ll ruin a lot of games I try after. I’ll probably have to replay an old favorite.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

yeah once you're on the other end of elden ring its all downhill from there

everything looks and sounds like forspoken now :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:30 am yeah once you're on the other end of elden ring its all downhill from there

everything looks and sounds like forspoken now :lol:
Oh shit! Rivers of Blood is some muthafuckin’ badass katana and shit. But damn, son, the game needs to chill with all the poison and rot water.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I really only played the Dead Space remake for like 10 minutes until it really started to drive home for me how bad Callisto Protocol is.

Meanwhile, I still haven't even started up the second Horizon game. I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 pm I really only played the Dead Space remake for like 10 minutes until it really started to drive home for me how bad Callisto Protocol is.

Meanwhile, I still haven't even started up the second Horizon game. I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
I just replayed the first Dead Space not that long ago. Can’t remember when but could be as recent as last winter. So, I don’t want to play the remake, yet. Although I kind of want to.

Oh, and I beat Elden Ring. Got the Ranni ending. Why are 90% of the major characters’ names starting with Mel or God. I still don’t understand the story properly. I guess my character is going to get laid.

I’m replaying Nier: Automata after spending a very long time modding it for better graphics. I find it very sad that I find the 2B character so attractive. Maybe I can get the Mrs. to dress up as her.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 am
I just replayed the first Dead Space not that long ago. Can’t remember when but could be as recent as last winter. So, I don’t want to play the remake, yet. Although I kind of want to.
It's been a couple of years for me - just enough so I remember some stuff, but it doesn't feel stale. So far it's really good, though I think giving Isaac voice acting was definitely unnecessary.
Oh, and I beat Elden Ring. Got the Ranni ending. Why are 90% of the major characters’ names starting with Mel or God. I still don’t understand the story properly. I guess my character is going to get laid.
:lol: Fuck man, didn't you start like two weeks ago?

Meanwhile, I haven't even tried in months. I just don't understand this game, and it's kind of simultaneously hilarious and depressing. I think I'm just going to find me a good walkthrough and do that because I cannot beat this game on my own. Platinum in every Souls game plus Sekiro, and Elden Ring has defeated me.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:38 am
It's been a couple of years for me - just enough so I remember some stuff, but it doesn't feel stale. So far it's really good, though I think giving Isaac voice acting was definitely unnecessary.
the originals - at least the first two, I stayed clear of the supposedly shitty third one - had (really good) voice acting though!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:38 am
The Bill wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 am
:lol: Fuck man, didn't you start like two weeks ago?

Meanwhile, I haven't even tried in months. I just don't understand this game, and it's kind of simultaneously hilarious and depressing. I think I'm just going to find me a good walkthrough and do that because I cannot beat this game on my own. Platinum in every Souls game plus Sekiro, and Elden Ring has defeated me.

Ha, no I’m no prodigy (anymore?). I started before New Years and played obsessively almost everyday. I think I put in at least four hours a day. God bless horrible TV & movies on Netflix and shit for distracting my wife from my nonsense. I’m now seeing on Youtube clips I might have missed a few random bosses.That game is crazy, yo. I’m not getting the DLC, I’m lucky to get out with my sanity as it is. It left me wanting to replay DS1. No, though, no. After Nier, I need to get something out of my other investments. I’m probably going to just drop dead the day I finally catch up with my Steam purchases.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

I'm absolutely awful at video games and for whatever reason gave death loop a try. Am I just in way over my head or does this game make no sense? Like seriously wtf are you supposed to do?
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:54 am I'm absolutely awful at video games and for whatever reason gave death loop a try. Am I just in way over my head or does this game make no sense? Like seriously wtf are you supposed to do?
I have no interest in that game but if I remember reviews right, it’s basically Ground Hog’s day. I don’t know if you can progress your character on each run, but if you can’t then the whole thing is fucking stupid and no different than a NES game with one life and no continues or save system.

Maybe this will help:
https://www.ign.com/wikis/deathloop/Dea ... alkthrough
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

The Bill wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32 am
ghost boner wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:54 am I'm absolutely awful at video games and for whatever reason gave death loop a try. Am I just in way over my head or does this game make no sense? Like seriously wtf are you supposed to do?
I have no interest in that game but if I remember reviews right, it’s basically Ground Hog’s day. I don’t know if you can progress your character on each run, but if you can’t then the whole thing is fucking stupid and no different than a NES game with one life and no continues or save system.

Maybe this will help:
https://www.ign.com/wikis/deathloop/Dea ... alkthrough

I actually looked up that exact walkthrough and was still confused. God dammit every time I get a game I don't like it and it's too hard
formerly ghost boner