The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:34 am yeah the jellyfish summon made him trivially easy for me :?
Honestly, I think some of this game is specifically designed to fuck you over if you try to play it like Dark Souls and ignore the new combat mechanics. Like the block counter or the stagger meter.

Anyway, I've gotten to the point now where I can just explore for hours at a time, and everything's clicked at last. This game is glorious.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Yeah if you don't use the horse to flee danger or manage mobs the game will definitely let you know
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Got to the Witcher 3’s drunk scene and I wasn’t ready for it’s magnificence, so decided to give that Bionic Commando (NES) a spin for real. Oh boy, nostalgia is a dirty trick. Now, it’s not bad, but it is old and you feel it right away. Lack of a jump button is brutal and the bionic arm is nowhere as smooth as you’d want. Super Castlvania’s grapple system, as rare as you use it, just ruins Bionic Commando by comparison. Game is also, I don’t know how to explain it, lose or sloppy. I don’t know. I like it though. Give it a “B” if I had to.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Your description makes it sound more like a C-, to be honest.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:13 pm Your description makes it sound more like a C-, to be honest.
That’s just because I focused on the negatives and didn’t highlight the positives. Off the top of my head, the bionic arm is pretty cool outside swinging over spike pits. There are things that have serious Metal Gear and Super C vibes. It’s 80’s Capcom, for Jimmies’ sake. It’s good.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

I don't play enough video games... right now I'm lying in bed trying not to shit myself
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:40 pm I don't play enough video games... right now I'm lying in bed trying not to shit myself
That’s a whole different kind of game.

I think I need a Witcher time out. Might give that Resident Evil Zero a gander. That character with the tribal tattoos, though, oh brother. Will Linkin Park and Stained be on the soundtrack?
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

:lol:
Talking about shitting myself, has any of you played that Resident Evil game developed for VR? Is it as scary as I imagine it to be?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:55 am :lol:
Talking about shitting myself, has any of you played that Resident Evil game developed for VR? Is it as scary as I imagine it to be?
I tried Resident Evil 7 for the PS4 VR. Despite a graphical downgrade, it was excellent and gave me a case of the nervous nerves. Only reason I never finished was it’s a pain to drink a beer while strapped to that headset. My boy has fooled around with RE4 on his Occulus 2 thing but he never mentioned being scared.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

game of the year 2031
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:31 pm

game of the year 2031
A new Saga? I have a bad feeling. Wish they’d remake 1 into a game like 2 or 3. Either would do.

And speaking of, stopped main quest type waiz to do the DLC. I even took a preview peak at Blood & Wine, and it reminded me how much they improved even more as developers for the DLCs.

Bionic Commando, Resident Evil 0, Castlevania Bloodlines… every time I think I’m out, Witcher 3 pulls me back in. I’m already dreading the postpartum Witcher 3 depression I had the first time.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Does any other part of the entertainment industry advertise things that basically aren't even an idea yet? Based on what that says, all they know is they want to make another Witcher game, and it'll be running on Unreal Engine 5. That's probably enough for a thousand autistic neckbeards to make 45-minute Youtube treatises on what they think the game will be like, but... yeah.

Anyway, I think given how badly they faceplanted with Cyberpunk, it's hardly surprising that they want to remind people that they're the ones who made that Witcher game everyone liked. And you'd have to think their next big release will either save them or sink them, so it makes sense for them to bet on their more established franchise, especially now that it's even more popular because of the Netflix show.

Trouble is, none of that matters if the writing isn't good. The problem with Cyberpunk 2077 was the totally linear quest structures. It didn't have anything remotely like the Bloody Baron quest. A badly written Witcher game is still a badly written game.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:34 am
Trouble is, none of that matters if the writing isn't good. The problem with Cyberpunk 2077 was the totally linear quest structures. It didn't have anything remotely like the Bloody Baron quest. A badly written Witcher game is still a badly written game.
The real question is how many people that worked on Witcher 3 are still there. How much of the W3 team was exactly the same team for Cyberpunk? You know? I also feel that games no longer stay true to the director’s/writers’ vision and succumb to committee decisions. Or worse, corporate decisions. The world deserves a Witcher 4, but I’d gamble we’ll get a Silent Hill Downpour, Dead Space 3, or Wolfenstein Youngblood instead.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:13 am The real question is how many people that worked on Witcher 3 are still there. How much of the W3 team was exactly the same team for Cyberpunk? You know? I also feel that games no longer stay true to the director’s/writers’ vision and succumb to committee decisions. Or worse, corporate decisions. The world deserves a Witcher 4, but I’d gamble we’ll get a Silent Hill Downpour, Dead Space 3, or Wolfenstein Youngblood instead.
Yeah, especially with this much riding on it. They really can't fuck this up, and that's exactly why they will fuck it up. One of the reasons why TW3 is so good is because they were willing to take risks, and that's gone now.

But hey, we'll see. I just hope they don't develop this for the PS5 and then release it two weeks after the PS6 comes out.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

last night i accidentally stumbled into what i can only assume is a later stage elden ring boss called STARSCOURGE RADAHN and i dont think ive ever felt such a level of pantshittingness in another souls game

:warrior:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:42 am last night i accidentally stumbled into what i can only assume is a later stage elden ring boss called STARSCOURGE RADAHN and i dont think ive ever felt such a level of pantshittingness in another souls game

:warrior:
Apparently he's actually been nerfed. The internet is crying about this quite a bit.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

my friend was trying to figure out how it was even possible for me to skip everything that i did and we figured out that it was a stake of merika and me falling off the map :cheers:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oh, is that a thing? Because I saved after respawning at a Stake of Marika the other day, and when I loaded the game, I just heard a scream like I'd fallen (through the map, in that case) and died.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

no i mean after randomly falling off the map it let me respawn at a stake that i'd never seen before much less gotten close to and was maybe close enough to trigger
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

When I saw the stupid large sword I of course built a Guts character - my only complaint height is not a slider you can adjust as I made him a Wretch class to mimic Guts coming from the sludge in Berserk.

It's the first time I've played a melee build in a souls game - Been playing since launch and I don't even care where I am up to I just cruise around - just incredible game. Currently dying to the fire giant boss.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

How is the Cyberpunk 2077 situation now? Is it playable on consoles? Should I borrow a PS4 from a friend an also get Ketsui for it despite already owning it on Xbox360?

Also, has any of you played that new Necromunda FPS? I fucking love the WH40K and I wouldn't mind playing a Doom-clone in it...
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Removed one lousy mod that was only cosmetic but not up to snuff and the house of cards crumbled and can’t be fixed. SO!!!! I guess my Witcher run is prematurely finished. Again.

I tried. I really really tried. But this is like the seventh time and I can’t get into nor enjoy Dark Soul 2. I honestly hate it, I think. No way this was done by the same team that did 1. And if they did, they were drunk. I don’t think it’s ever going to happen at this point.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:04 am How is the Cyberpunk 2077 situation now? Is it playable on consoles? Should I borrow a PS4 from a friend an also get Ketsui for it despite already owning it on Xbox360?
I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think the last-gen versions are ever going to be worth anyone's time. The big patch that came now was mostly for the PS5 and whatever the fuck the new Xbox is called.
Also, has any of you played that new Necromunda FPS? I fucking love the WH40K and I wouldn't mind playing a Doom-clone in it...
I really tried, but I didn't like it. It looks great and certainly feels like 40K, but it's janky and confusing and I just gave up after a while. You want a 40K shooter, get Space Marine.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:41 am
THE KILL wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:04 am How is the Cyberpunk 2077 situation now? Is it playable on consoles? Should I borrow a PS4 from a friend an also get Ketsui for it despite already owning it on Xbox360?
I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think the last-gen versions are ever going to be worth anyone's time. The big patch that came now was mostly for the PS5 and whatever the fuck the new Xbox is called.
I really tried, but I didn't like it. It looks great and certainly feels like 40K, but it's janky and confusing and I just gave up after a while. You want a 40K shooter, get Space Marine.
Right, thanks for your impressions. Re: Necromunda, is it just old-fashioned or a legitimately mediocre game? Does it help that the last FPS I played for more than a minute was Unreal Tournament? I have no idea how the genre changed in the last twenty years...
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:11 am
spacehamster wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:41 am
Right, thanks for your impressions. Re: Necromunda, is it just old-fashioned or a legitimately mediocre game? Does it help that the last FPS I played for more than a minute was Unreal Tournament? I have no idea how the genre changed in the last twenty years...
Here’s another game I got cheap off Steam, thinking I scored a hidden gem, but only found a turd. What the fuck ever happened to health packs…. or even regenerating health? This kill an enemy in a specific way only to get a bunch of shit explode out of them like a cartoon is the worst thing to happen to FPSers. Followed by, stay in this bouncy castle room until cleared. I miss linear corridors. I did like DOOM 2016, but feel like I might never want to revisit it and curse it for starting this “arena shooter trend”. So, no, Necromunda is neither old fashion nor a mediocre FPSer. It’s a crappy modern arena shooter. There’s no correlation to Unreal Tournament outside of maybe playing in a 1-on-1 or 2-on-2 map with jump pads. It’s a Doom 2016 clone may-haps, but not a DOOM clone.