The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Wang Mandu »

riley-o wrote:I don't know shit about programming or design, but doesn't the example you posted assume the source is the 200 poly model, and then just subdividing from there ? I thought the point was what's possible to build from scratch with x number of triangles, not that each subdivision somehow reveals more detail :lol:
I'm far too stupid to understand programming but that image was posted by a Guerilla Games dev somewhere. I love some good graphics but I like what Ross said about better AI, world reactivity, etc. and games still lack that in a lot of ways.

Re: The Last of Us. I liked it a lot but it's far from the game of forever a lot of people think it is. Some decent gameplay (cribbed straight from Manhunt), good voice acting and art design. I do think the sound design is the game's greatest strength. I guess a lot of people have never seen a zombie film before because the game leaks zombie tropes left and right yet the story get's praised. Ellie does some absolutely dumb shit that made me want Joel to just say fuck it and leave her. Also, Max Payne 3, and a ton of other games, received a lot of backlash for frequent cutscenes yet TLoU gets a pass? :confused:

Metal Gear Rising rules on PC. Nice to play this game again with a cleaner image.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Wasn't able to make it past one hour into that game, shameful rubbish.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Comrade Slinky wrote:Wasn't able to make it past one hour into that game, shameful rubbish.
I made it to
TWENTY YEARS LATER
and was like, is this the whole game ? like this ?

Don't think I care enough to find out
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Watched a livestream speedrun of Chrono Trigger with 5 homies last night. Good times. It was a video game thing so I thought I would post it here

Video game culture is weird. I still don't really understand the livestream/lets play thing...

these guys made like a fucking million dollars for a cancer research charity though

what the fuck
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:Last of Us was a pretty good game. It's highly repetitive, but the story is cool. I actually don't remember all the QTEs Riley is talking about, I just remember getting sick of the same old same old of going into a room/area and clearing them out and then moving on. I know this is about the worst thing you can say about a game but... yes. It gets better. The first couple hours are by far the least interesting play-wise for me. If you're not having fun, you're not having fun but if the story is interesting at all and you have a little time-- I'd say keep going. You may end up happy.
The pacing is a bit like Uncharted 2 was - early on there's constant intrusions by cutscenes and QTEs, but eventually it opens up and just lets you play it, and then it's fun. It's not a life-altering experience or anything, but it was fun for one playthrough, the story was reasonably engaging, and the visuals and sound design are really good. If nothing else, I prefer it to the Uncharted games because not everyone is a snarky, annoying douchebag and the controls are less floaty.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

oh, i thought riley was joking about QTEs. not counting context-sensitive actions like stealth takedowns, there are a handful of genuine QTEs in the entire game. so about as many as one god of war boss fight. the biggest complaint i see about TLOU is that there's too much killing/gameplay and not enough story. the prologue, about 3% of the overall game time, is an exception, as are some of the early parts where you're guided more than later in the game.

personally i don't think the gameplay is shallow or repetitive at all and it was much more fun the second time through on survivor with no listen mode. and by chance, my bro and i played some of manhunt on his barely-functioning PS2 over christmas... saying TLOU cribbed gameplay from it is insane :lol: that game barely functions mechanically
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

hey look; sense

but i think the balance between gameplay and story is pretty much spot on
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Spooky Apparition wrote:oh, i thought riley was joking about QTEs. not counting context-sensitive actions like stealth takedowns, there are a handful of genuine QTEs in the entire game. so about as many as one god of war boss fight. the biggest complaint i see about TLOU is that there's too much killing/gameplay and not enough story. the prologue, about 3% of the overall game time, is an exception, as are some of the early parts where you're guided more than later in the game.

personally i don't think the gameplay is shallow or repetitive at all and it was much more fun the second time through on survivor with no listen mode. and by chance, my bro and i played some of manhunt on his barely-functioning PS2 over christmas... saying TLOU cribbed gameplay from it is insane :lol: that game barely functions mechanically
This is the kind of insight I was looking for, thank you. The prologue is "press square to continue watching the movie" and I was wondering if the whole game was like that. Thanks for not being a non-contributing zero.
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

someone made one million dollars burning through chrono trigger? there was money in this? I beat final fantasy VI in a night...is this a marketable skill? I don't understand this
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i'm not going to be the kind of lunatic that tries to say TLoU is a bad game, but it's a mediocre story bolted to a crummy stealth game, and then shined up so nice and pretty that most people don't notice or care.

that story though. i think i used to give a lot of credit to people who could tell bad stories well, but that's been wearing off over the years. i'd rather see someone do a disastrous job attempting something interesting.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

i've been a fan of stealth games since the original thief however many years ago and played dozens of them. at the very least, from a gameplay perspective TLOU wipes the floor with most big stealth games from this generation (deus ex, dishonored, hitman, probably others i'm forgetting).

my enjoyment of the gameplay and the fact i've played the MP waaaaaaay too much has nothing to do with being tricked by the game's polish. that's some condescending shit, man.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

if anything, the MP is underrated. i feel semi-bad that they made a pretty cool thing that only a small percentage of people who bought the game care about, and that nobody talks about ever.

and if you think it's a better stealth game than dishonored, you're a strange person with strange tastes
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I didn't really like Dishonored either and I played a bunch of that

Maybe the M Night Shalamalam twist of my life is that I don't actually like video games
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

liking dishonored is almost inconsequential to the discussion of whether or not it had some pretty exceptional stealth mechanics, which i think is not really up for debate.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

the reason i liked the way TLOU handled stealth way more than dishonored is because as soon as my plan, usually a result of my playstyle, went awry in dishonored, the gameplay broke down and i just reloaded to try it again.

in general, i think TLOU's stealth situations have a fluidity absent from a lot of stealth games because the action elements are handled really well. when all hell breaks loose, it becomes exciting to see if you can get out of a situation alive rather than just reloading. that leads to crafting stuff on-the-fly wondering if you'll have enough time before you're killed, dropping a bomb on the ground as you're around a corner, throwing a smoke bomb in the right spot as you're rushing a small group of enemies, etc.

i feel like the stealth situations are SUPPOSED to break down into chaos because that's when the game gets the most exciting, which isn't really true of dishonored. but dishonored is still better than an abortion like hit man where when chaos breaks out the game turns into an absolute joke and you see how broken a lot of the systems are. EDIT: and dishonored did do some cool stuff, don't get me wrong.

anyway, not that TLOU is perfect, but it really surprises me that so many people write off the gameplay as average (or even crummy). admittedly, it is really hard to get into. that's probably the game's biggest weakness... it takes a long time to get good. i'm forcing my GF to play through it and she's like 60% though and still doesn't like it. it just rubs some people the wrong way
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

elephants gerald wrote:someone made one million dollars burning through chrono trigger? there was money in this? I beat final fantasy VI in a night...is this a marketable skill? I don't understand this
Difficult to market I think. These guys are part of a long charity drive, speed running through games and accepting donations, as well as donating ad revenue, to cancer research. some people make pretty good money off of youtube and streaming, but it's a full time job recording the videos, editing the videos and also making an effort to be entertaining and likeable. Definitely not something everyone can do. It's also a pretty hard market to breakthrough in, I'd imagine. Tons of people are trying to get that youtube money.
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

I wasn't really asking
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

so you were asking but not asking to be funny?

i guess that's funny.
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

8)

yeah wasn't funny. all I meant was that any asshole here can probably pull off a half-decent speed run of an easy super nintendo RPG. why watch someone else do it? I can understand megaman or contra or something (despite the fact that I'd never ever watch someone play those either) where there's an autistic athletic component to it, but I can't wrap my head around sitting down and watching some guy x through the text in chrono trigger impatiently.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

I've watched a couple speedruns of megaman and some mario games, and the real good part about it is watching all the crazy time saving glitches they've found to break the game and finish at ridiculous times. some also have timers going that show the world record, so it can be pretty intense when they get so close to beating a world record.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote: . and by chance, my bro and i played some of manhunt on his barely-functioning PS2 over christmas... saying TLOU cribbed gameplay from it is insane :lol: that game barely functions mechanically
It's easy to say that it barely functions over a decade later but the basics are there with a focus on visceral stealth melee kills. The gameplay is mediocre in TLoU because every encounter is essentially the same. The AI doesn't get any better, they just throw stronger enemies at you in greater numbers...just like UC 1 & 2. Naughty Dog might be the most overrated studio going today.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

spacehamster wrote: The pacing is a bit like Uncharted 2 was - early on there's constant intrusions by cutscenes and QTEs, but eventually it opens up and just lets you play it, and then it's fun.
riley-o wrote: This is the kind of insight I was looking for, thank you. The prologue is "press square to continue watching the movie" and I was wondering if the whole game was like that. Thanks for not being a non-contributing zero.
YOU'RE WELCOME.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:yerma:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

someone sell me a wireless ps2 controller

this is bullshit
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

it's fucking outrageous that I have to deal with this shit

someone PM me immediately

it's 2014 AD

I also want a spare memory card