The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:48 am
The Bill wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:11 pm Tell me more about improved controls. Witcher 3, again . Honestly curious!
Haven't played in a bit, but IIRC holding down one of the triggers now switches all of the face buttons to casting a sign. The point being that you don't have to go through the radial menu anymore to "switch signs", you can cast all of them at any time. For me personally, that fixes the one thing that's always bothered me about TW2 and 3 and it basically allows me to finally play it the way I always wanted to. I'm sure it's not as big of a deal for everyone, but it is for me.

Ah, the radial wheel. I’ll load a save file and see.

The whole mods thing really pisses me off. No more auto looting corpses and no more better item drops mean crafting in going to be way more of a grind. Oh joy!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The Bill wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:49 pm
spacehamster wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:48 am
The Bill wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:11 pm Tell me more about improved controls. Witcher 3, again . Honestly curious!
Haven't played in a bit, but IIRC holding down one of the triggers now switches all of the face buttons to casting a sign. The point being that you don't have to go through the radial menu anymore to "switch signs", you can cast all of them at any time. For me personally, that fixes the one thing that's always bothered me about TW2 and 3 and it basically allows me to finally play it the way I always wanted to. I'm sure it's not as big of a deal for everyone, but it is for me.

Ah, the radial wheel. I’ll load a save file and see.

The whole mods thing really pisses me off. No more auto looting corpses and no more better item drops mean crafting in going to be way more of a grind. Oh joy!
I found another mod/script merger that got most mods working except auto loot. Manually looting corpses is second nature normally (Fallout, Skyrim, Red Dead, Bioshock…) but I’ve always used it with Witcher 3, that it seems so foreign to do.

The new control scheme takes getting used to. I see how it’s an improvement as I can combo Yrden into Igni or what have, which I never did previously. But I need to memorize the face buttons and I’m not there yet.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’ve been playing Cultic. It’s very good so far. Some people say it’s like Blood. Ehhhhhh, sort of. Pretty sure it has a demo. But, uh, whatever you do, turn off color filter under advanced display settings, unless you want your game to literally look like shit.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I’d buy that for a dollar!

Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I want so badly for that to be good, but im worried it won't be fun to play. The look and feel of it are fucking perfect.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I reinstalled DOOM 3 for the 100th time because I discovered this graphics mod that makes the game gorgeous:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/d3hdp-doom-3 ... al-hd-pack

This is OG DOOM 3, not the BFG version. I haven’t messed with original DOOM 3 in a decade. It’s darker shadows and lack of headlamp give me the scares. I never had the fears really before, getting older sucks. But it kind of pisses me off, Doom 3 & FEAR had such excellent stylistic deep dark shadows. Most games didn’t embrace this and went with soft, and transparent shadows. And while that maybe more realistic I’d still rather explore Dario Argento’s visual universe than Kim Kardashian’s.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:12 pm I want so badly for that to be good, but im worried it won't be fun to play. The look and feel of it are fucking perfect.
Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced it's going to feel like driving around a slow-moving tank with a hand attached to it. I think the 16-bit Robocop game was reasonably ok, but tbqh I'm not sure I can think of a way you could make a Robocop videogame in 2023 that doesn't suck somehow.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien
You can say anything you want about my wife...but don't you say a goddamn thing about my daughter.

I mean you'd have to either speed him up or come up with a fundamentally different way to play fps.

I'm like 100 years out of date on this stuff though so what the fuck do i know. It's just really nest to see a game looking like that. I hope its good and does well.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I think I’ll stick with DOOM 3… for Halloween type waiz. That mod keeps dead bodies and bullet shells and all this extra blood on the map, so that’s good.

It was about a year ago I was playing FEAR 2 & 3. Yeah, they both kind of sucked.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

…..And Doom 3’s flashlight randomly stops working and the only fix is to restart the level and I’m not doing this for a third time. I know it’s the graphics mod fault. Oh well. I guess I’ll stick with Cultic. It’s good but sloppy like most of these Indy FPSers.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

The Bill wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:47 pmThat all looks like a mess. Are you by any chance thinking of the Nintendo DS game Contra 4? Never played it, but I feel as if that was the last positively received Contra game released.
yeah, it has to be that! I've never liked handhelds but that game looks great

it's also possible that I was excited about one of these games being announced... and then I only now learned that it was yet another hot mess

LOL at that contra x doom mashup
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Beat Cultic. It’s short but it was cheap and it admits it’s only chapter 1 (and a free DLC). Best description is Resident Evil 4 meets Blood meets Phantasm. Crunchy little shooter, probably the best of these retro looking “boomer shooters” I actually finished.

I dipped back into DOOM 3 with that same graphics mod, but this time I have a Halo theme mod, so the flashlight is working. Think the Halo weapons might be stronger than the vanilla DOOM 3, but whatever:

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

having played doom 3 on release with a lot of optimism i'm shocked when it comes up that people are so positive about it. i still think its a huge piece of shit
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Glub
Certified False.

Post by Glub »

Anyone else doing Lords of the Fallen?

I can't stop playing it. It's nightmarishly difficult, while at the same time offering an absurd slew of optional mechanism that can make things bearable.
MeatGrease wrote:
I became fully redpilled by the summer of 2015 but was already holding back as early as 2014. Before that I was a anarcho punk.

Ideally, society should be organized via a warrior-priest aristocracy.

I can trace my ancestry all the way back to historic germanic tribal chieftains in fact.
Eight Bit Alien

Yeha same it's a funny thing. I didn't play it myself but everyone i know regarded it as a sad bomb. I had no idea it had so many fans.

I think part of its reputation is that it was saved by fan patches, one of those things.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:48 am having played doom 3 on release with a lot of optimism i'm shocked when it comes up that people are so positive about it. i still think its a huge piece of shit
I was disappointed at the time, but grew to love it after some years. Let’s be honest, though. It’s a Half-Life style game, not DOOM. Just as DOOM (2016) and DOOM Eternal aren’t DOOM games either. DOOM 3 is closer to DOOM then the two newer ones, though. Especially later in the game.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i think I'll disagree quite strongly that doom 2016 is further away from the doom spirit than doom 3
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

I guess I'm the only person here not at all scared to admit that I'm playing Super Mario Wonder. Women find it hot that I am confident enough with my masculinity to throw tantrums and scream at the Switch with tears streaming down my face. It's called vulnerability.
Eight Bit Alien

Brother as soon as I get the time, ima give that bitch a taste.

I never really liked the "New" line of Mario games... and at first I assumed this was yet another entry in that series style. I've heard so much buzz about Wonder that I'm gonna open my cold black heart though.

Modern platformers are way more miss than hit for me, I don't know why. Over the years I've played a couple that were excellent, like Shovelknight or Axiom Verge. For the most part though it always feels a little hollow somehow.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Last new Mario game I made it all the way through was Super Mario Wii. I need to beat the Galaxy games before I go on any Odyssey or Wonder. Maybe a Xmas gift for the kids, if they still even like Mario.
Eight Bit Alien

Galaxy was one of the best games id ever played back in 2010 or so. A blizzard hit, I started up the game and put on a stephen king audiobook. Two days straight snowed in.

I'm sure it feels a little less special by now but damn its good software. I really liked it much much more than odyssey.
Hunter
Member of the fascist left

Post by Hunter »

Galaxy was the game that restored my faith in Mario games after bailing on Sunshine after 20 minutes. Odyssey was great, but I didn't like the New Super Mario Bros 2D games that were released over the years. SMB:Wonder, while also a 2D game (for the most part) feels a lot more fresh in comparison, with badge power-ups and wonder flowers that start a set-piece event that's unique to the level.

That said, I'd be playing Spider-Man 2 instead if I didn't have a Switch voucher to use up from when I bought that last Zelda game. No regrets though, this should keep me occupied until Spider-Man 2 goes on sale at some point.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Mate gave me a Wii (two, actually) and Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 like a decade ago, and I still haven't tried them out. Maaaan I need to play more video games
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Well, Trenpang2 isn’t as good as Cultic, but it isn’t a “Boomer Shooter” either, it’s like FEAR meet Call of Duty. It’s good, but it’s no FEAR. Not sure what’s wrong here. It just doesn’t have that it factory. It’s missing or it’s off by something. It’s reliance of arena shooting is definitely a negative for me.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

What’s going on here, anyway? Witcher 3! Suddenly, there’s all this changed and extra stuff. Normal missions are longer. People are saying other stuff. The remaster add all this? Could be a mod, I installed some sort of unofficial patch?

It’s awesome, though.