The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
HATE RIDING BIKE...PULL ME.

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

How about the cutscene explains the next objective, and then a character immediately runs up to summarize the objective in a text box... repeating themselves...

There have been really compelling stories in video games but they're rare, and they're always the result of getting invested by PLAYING. The most obvious lesson in the whole fucking creative world is show-dont-tell. Dont tell me what to care about upfront, I'm not invested yet - I won't be until I can lose myself in the experience a bit.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Metal Gear Solid 4 was maybe the second or third game I played after skipping most of the 00s. Imagine my surprise.

Anyway, I'm pretty much in the same boat as Bill here - when the first MGS came out I thought it was the greatest thing ever - it was the first time a game made me feel invested in its characters the same way a movie did, and it made playing the game more compelling, so it worked. But fast forward a few months past MGS4 and I'm playing Dead Space and thinking, no, this is how it should be done because fuck cutscenes.

I still think they're ok in moderation and if they're FUCKING skippable, but I'll take intentionally obtuse FromSoft environmental storytelling that I can basically opt out of and that never stops me from playing the game over cutscenes any day. AAA studios need to stop hiring Hollywood actors for this shit and put the money back into bug testing.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

what i love most in the entire world is playing co-op in elden ring, putting my summon sign down and helping people with hard boss fights and they, as host, have control over whether the party skips the intro and intermission phase 2 cut scenes. so knuckleheads love to let those jokers play all the way through and then the boss just completely annhiliates them in seconds and you're sent packing back to your own game after you've sat through malenias opening monologue for the umpteenth time

love it
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:07 am what i love most in the entire world is playing co-op in elden ring, putting my summon sign down and helping people with hard boss fights and they, as host, have control over whether the party skips the intro and intermission phase 2 cut scenes. so knuckleheads love to let those jokers play all the way through and then the boss just completely annhiliates them in seconds and you're sent packing back to your own game after you've sat through malenias opening monologue for the umpteenth time

love it
Haha, that’s a good prank. Haha. Why do I find this so funny?

Oh, if you’re not on console, did you try out the Elden Ring first person mod?
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I caved and got the early version of Diablo IV and finished the campaign in 3 helpings, helped a PSN friend with some boss fights and ridden around on the horse to open the map up.

Couple of brutal early bugs here and there - the Astaroth fight multiplayer was a disaster (5 times to get it to work), one fetch quest wouldn’t let me fast travel the item back to finish the quest off - but overall it’s electronic crack and I’ll be addicted to this for some time to come.

One of the top 5 ever cut scenes toward the end of the game too - so rad
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I never liked Diablo 1 & 2 due to the non-stop click, click, clicking on the mouse. I played some Diablo 3 on the PS4. The controller was a breath of fresh air. Making it somewhat akin to some of my all time favorite PS2 games, Bauldar’s Gate: Dark Alliance. Electronic crack, indeed. I stopped because….
can’t remember. Must have been something good. I know I bought Diablo 2 Remastered for Xbox One on sale. Need to play that one day. Then finally go back to 3. Then we will see about 4.

Why did I stop playing 3? I remember almost getting to a wedding late because I was playing it. Diablo 3, was better than that wedding. I wonder if that’s when I got my present PC. That would explain a lot.
Last edited by The Bill on Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Ugh! I dove back into this thread’s past to find answers. It’s apparent I was smitten with Diablo 3. Looks like I became somewhat distracted with 3D audio via headphones, buying PS2 first person shooters, and Metro 2033 ( which I didn’t like at the time??!). The real nail in the coffin seems to be Destiny. Ouch! Was I so different a person back in 2014? I hate Destiny now and love Metro 2033. I don’t want to read younger The Bill’s posts again. He sucks. Oddly enough, I’ve been downloading first person shooter roms for the PS2 recently. Time is folding in on me.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The Bill wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:18 pm

Why did I stop playing 3? I remember almost getting to a wedding late because I was playing it. Diablo 3, was better than that wedding. I wonder if that’s when I got my present PC. That would explain a lot.

Lol!!!

I played 3 but due to a lull in current bames sent the anticipation high for this one - beware if you have any wedding invites before taking it on mate
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:25 pm When Ninja Gaiden for the NES came out, I was enthralled with its cutscenes.
Cutscenes in games that use bitmap/ pixel graphics are a completely different affair: they're lovingly hand-drawn and often a joy to behold, and the limited cartridge space forced developers to get to the point quickly. Many arcade games had awesome attract sequences/ mini intros that still rock today:

The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:17 am
The Bill wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:25 pm When Ninja Gaiden for the NES came out, I was enthralled with its cutscenes.
Cutscenes in games that use bitmap/ pixel graphics are a completely different affair: they're lovingly hand-drawn and often a joy to behold, and the limited cartridge space forced developers to get to the point quickly. Many arcade games had awesome attract sequences/ mini intros that still rock today:

I’m not anti all cutscenes. Mostly baby’s first movie that these newer games are shoving in my face instead of letting me get on with it.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

I got ghost of tsushima. Am I doing this right?
formerly ghost boner
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

ghost boner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:06 pm I got ghost of tsushima. Am I doing this right?
Yet, another Sony open world game. But, I hear it pretty good, if that’s the kind of thing you like. I do own it, but never played it. I’m very burnt out on open world at the moment. Very burnt out.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The Bill wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:26 pm
ghost boner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:06 pm I got ghost of tsushima. Am I doing this right?
Yet, another Sony open world game. But, I hear it pretty good, if that’s the kind of thing you like. I do own it, but never played it. I’m very burnt out on open world at the moment. Very burnt out.
It has the tropes - but it also has fox patting, poem composition, reflective hot spring bathing and fantastic combat.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:06 pm
- but it also has fox patting

Oh no, you’ve become one of those people, have you?
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

HA HA HA - No - It's just anything that breaks up fetch quests and all the other open world tropes can and should be encouraged
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

doomeddisciple wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:53 pm HA HA HA - No - It's just anything that breaks up fetch quests and all the other open world tropes can and should be encouraged
Uh huh.

doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Boom roasted :D
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

spacehamster wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:10 am Metal Gear Solid 4 was maybe the second or third game I played after skipping most of the 00s. Imagine my surprise.

Anyway, I'm pretty much in the same boat as Bill here - when the first MGS came out I thought it was the greatest thing ever - it was the first time a game made me feel invested in its characters the same way a movie did, and it made playing the game more compelling, so it worked. But fast forward a few months past MGS4 and I'm playing Dead Space and thinking, no, this is how it should be done because fuck cutscenes.

I still think they're ok in moderation and if they're FUCKING skippable, but I'll take intentionally obtuse FromSoft environmental storytelling that I can basically opt out of and that never stops me from playing the game over cutscenes any day. AAA studios need to stop hiring Hollywood actors for this shit and put the money back into bug testing.
MGS4 has a special place in my heart, I remember hitting cut scenes at 2 or 3 am and being happy and pissed at the same time because I had to watch them and they were always around 45 minutes.

I remember as well that you and I talked a lot about this game here, and I remember once I made a typo and wrote MSG4 instead of MGS4 and that seemed to bother you a lot for unknown reasons, so being the troll I used to be I didn't offer any explanation and continued typing MSG4 every time. You were not happy about it.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Boo and I played Diablo 3 together during the pandemic, but didn't finish the story. Good times.

I am playing through ToTK and it's good too. Good.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Apple vision bames incoming
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:27 am
I remember as well that you and I talked a lot about this game here, and I remember once I made a typo and wrote MSG4 instead of MGS4 and that seemed to bother you a lot for unknown reasons, so being the troll I used to be I didn't offer any explanation and continued typing MSG4 every time. You were not happy about it.
I don't remember that, but it totally sounds like something I would do :lol:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Eight Bit Alien

Hahahhahaha
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS AN IMMERSIVE SIM??!! Role playing game? Do they mean games with RPG shit in it? Well, those are called RPG’s or game with RPG elements. I looked at a list of “Immersive Sims” and Bioshock is on the list. Eating a can of sardines straight out of a trash can to heal a bullet wound is immersive and simulates something? Something stupid. Is this just more retard Gen Z talk, because they would type RGP instead of RPG and the Spacehamsters of the world frazzled them?

I also saw someone say “Immersive sims” are about being able to choose how to handle a situation. So, just like an RPG. Or better yet, in Contra I can choose to jump over an enemy or I can shoot him in the face with the laser gun, or jump in the air and shoot him with the spread gun OR lay down and shoot his feet with the machine gun. Is Contra an Immersive Sim? Is mother fucking Super
Mother fucking C an immersive sim?
Eight Bit Alien

It's when one of your sims is in the pool and you delete the ladder, immersing him in water while you quietly pinch your helmet.
Eight Bit Alien

I understand what you mean though.