The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by The Bill »

Annnnd Cyberpunk gets patched AGAIN the day right after I uninstalled it. Reinstalled it, and the patch fixed my issue. Guess I’m diving back in.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Been playing the new God of War. It's fun and really pretty and the writing is definitely excellent for a video game, but I don't really understand why people go so ga-ga over these GoW reboot games. The combat still feels clunky, like... I dunno, it reminds me of Resident Evil 5 with that overly close over-the-shoulder camera and the slow movement. It's like they completely replaced the old GoW combat style with something that feels more or less just as dated and is also less fun.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

So here's a dumb question, how much do I have to spend to get a good, not ridiculously good gaming PC that will be ok for the next five ears or so? I'd mainly like to play Darktide and also the two Vermintide games...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:28 am So here's a dumb question, how much do I have to spend to get a good, not ridiculously good gaming PC that will be ok for the next five ears or so? I'd mainly like to play Darktide and also the two Vermintide games...
I doubt anyone's going to be able to give you a good answer to that, prices vary a lot from country to country.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:28 am So here's a dumb question, how much do I have to spend to get a good, not ridiculously good gaming PC that will be ok for the next five ears or so? I'd mainly like to play Darktide and also the two Vermintide games...
Hard question. Go to Digital Storm’s website. The best people I’ve ever dealt with, with building a PC. I’m from New York, if that matters. Just don’t trust the big vendors like Asus, Gateway, and the like. Also, Alienware and Falcon were “sell outs” awhile back, don’t trust them. Don’t trust Best Buy or Amazon, either. If you’re talk building a bad boy from scratch I can’t help but upgrading ram or a graphics card is way easier then putting together an IKEA couch.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Well count my liver spots and call me Mum-Ra, but this here Cyberpunk 2077 is excellent.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

excited to see this in its native italian before its butchered for american audiences :pizza:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

I hate myself a little for it, but now I wanna see it...
spacehamster wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:32 am
I doubt anyone's going to be able to give you a good answer to that, prices vary a lot from country to country.
Huh. I would have thought that components have roughly similar prices in different countries, otherwise I'd assume that people just order one from somewhere cheap. How much did you spend on yours, Spacehamster?

The Bill wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:28 pm
Hard question. Go to Digital Storm’s website. The best people I’ve ever dealt with, with building a PC. I’m from New York, if that matters. Just don’t trust the big vendors like Asus, Gateway, and the like. Also, Alienware and Falcon were “sell outs” awhile back, don’t trust them. Don’t trust Best Buy or Amazon, either. If you’re talk building a bad boy from scratch I can’t help but upgrading ram or a graphics card is way easier then putting together an IKEA couch.
Thanks man, but I'm based in Germany...
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 am

excited to see this in its native italian before its butchered for american audiences :pizza:
So, they made the established male heroes buffoons, yet made the established damsel in distress an perfect Amazon warrior… in 2022, shocked I say, SHOCKED!

My-son and wife were in the room when my Cyberpunk dude decided to have hardcore sex with a chick in a tank. I’m mortified.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:28 am
Huh. I would have thought that components have roughly similar prices in different countries, otherwise I'd assume that people just order one from somewhere cheap. How much did you spend on yours, Spacehamster?
A little under 1700 CHF, i7, RTX 3070 Ti. But that's for a built brand-name PC because I can't be bothered to learn how to build one. If you can do that and you're willing to order components from wherever you can get them cheapest, I'm sure you can do it for less than that. What I do know is that prices for electronics vary wildly, and it's one of the few things where Switzerland is relatively cheap.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

The Bill wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:19 pm
FVBTVS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 am

So, they made the established male heroes buffoons, yet made the established damsel in distress an perfect Amazon warrior… in 2022, shocked I say, SHOCKED!
Oh don't be such an old white man... Peach has been a playable hero since Super Mario Bros 2, and making the Mario brothers amateurs in the heroics department makes them relatable especially to kids, which this is aimed at.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 am
A little under 1700 CHF, i7, RTX 3070 Ti. But that's for a built brand-name PC because I can't be bothered to learn how to build one. If you can do that and you're willing to order components from wherever you can get them cheapest, I'm sure you can do it for less than that. What I do know is that prices for electronics vary wildly, and it's one of the few things where Switzerland is relatively cheap.
:shock: shit, that's quite a bit of dough... maybe I should just get a PS5 or something :tdown:
Yeah, for some strange reason electronics are generally dirt cheap in Germany, too.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

THE KILL wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:38 pm
spacehamster wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:57 am
:shock: shit, that's quite a bit of dough... maybe I should just get a PS5 or something :tdown:
Yeah, for some strange reason electronics are generally dirt cheap in Germany, too.
If you’re going to want to play a game vanilla.. meaning you don’t care about mods, graphic tweaks, fan made shit, emulating old systems, cheats, or any sort of pirate activity, then you’re better of with PS5/Xbox. But, I care that nonsense now, and can’t go back. I’m waiting for all this Raytracing business to be common place for PC to handle before I get a new one (hopefully being my PC stays healthy, of course).
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The hacking, and I mean human hacking, in Cyberpunk is an absolute delight once leveled up sone. I’m starting to wonder if I should play those Watch Dog games. But I have no way of knowing if it will be as entertaining.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

tbqh what I like most about PC gaming at this point is the fact you're not bound by "generations" and have far less backwards compatibility issues. There are some games that were developed for older versions of Windows that I now have trouble running, but by and large I can just pretty much play anything I want on one machine, whereas I still have my PS3 taking up space in my living room because the handful of games on it that I occasionally want to replay still don't work on anything else.

The other problem with the PS5, aside from what The Bill mentioned, is that it's still so hard to find that not enough people have one and so the games are more expensive and typically developed with backwards compatibility to the PS4 in mind. All other things being equal, the PS5 is so powerful that you don't really need a PC - the games look insane. When they're actually developed for it, like the new Ratchet & Clank.

Me, I have both. Because I don't have a wife who tells me what I can spend my money on, so it's all going toward nerd shit. Arf arf.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 am There are some games that were developed for older versions of Windows that I now have trouble running
Do tell. I think any old game I’ve had a mind for running has worked, by hook or by crook. Perhaps I can help. I think the last challenge I had was the PS2 era Punisher game, but I finally can run that with unedited blood and gore galore. The biggest issue I have to contend with is older games’ fonts and HUDs do not scale well above 1080p. Need a damn magnifying glass or binoculars to read it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:30 am Do tell. I think any old game I’ve had a mind for running has worked, by hook or by crook. Perhaps I can help.
The only thing I remember specifically is the controller support being broken in Splinter Cell Conviction in Windows 10.

And yes, this matters to me because I'm the only person on the planet who has a nuclear autistic obsession with the last two Splinter Cell games.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:08 pm
The Bill wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:30 am Do tell. I think any old game I’ve had a mind for running has worked, by hook or by crook. Perhaps I can help.
The only thing I remember specifically is the controller support being broken in Splinter Cell Conviction in Windows 10.

And yes, this matters to me because I'm the only person on the planet who has a nuclear autistic obsession with the last two Splinter Cell games.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_C ... Conviction

Towards the bottom of the page there’s a link for a file to paste. I also see there’s an improvement mod for the game.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:39 pm
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_C ... Conviction

Towards the bottom of the page there’s a link for a file to paste. I also see there’s an improvement mod for the game.
Site's down :lol:

EDIT nevermind, got it, and it works a treat. Thanks, dude.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Today i spent like 5 hours trying the first 2 minutes of every sega saturn game i could download
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

I won't have that much free time again for months, in all likelihood
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:59 pm Today i spent like 5 hours trying the first 2 minutes of every sega saturn game i could download
I don’t even know if I’ve been in the same room with a Sega Saturn. Outside of a Virtual Fighter or Sonic, isn’t all it’s games also on the Playstation 1, except the PS1 is better? Not mocking the machine, just going by what I think I remember.

What emulator do you use, if I ever wanted to do something with it?
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Its incredibly simple to emulate now, after years of pain. Just snag Retroarch off Steam and install the Beetle Saturn core - bitch even comes setup to work with a controller, no fiddling.

I usually really enjoy tinkering with standalone emulators, but the Steam version of RA works so well with n64 and Saturn (not to mention netplay!!) that I'm incorporating it into my setup.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

And yeah basically none of the games are that great beyond novelty, but having fun isn't the point for me

Hasn't been for a long time now
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

At some point things got weirder and darker for me